At Long last!

PDA

Richard
July 25, 2007, 06:51 PM
I finally got to the range on Sunday. I went with 44SpecialDave and his 25-year-old son, Nathan. Nathan is new to handguns and he is in the learning stage. I did get to teach Nathan to use a Modified Weaver Stance and to push out with his dominant hand and to pull back with his supporting hand. All shooting was done at 10 yards and I soon found that I had to use a seat. Why? This was my first trip to the range after the Bi-Pass surgery on 5/10/07. My conclusion is I have no strength in my legs. I will have to work more on my legs.

The handguns we shot were Dave’s P220 (that I sold him), my S&W M325, P245, Para 14, and Rock Island Armory 1911A1 (RIA). Dave wanted to shoot his Hand Ejector but the range wanted $45 for 50 44 Specials; Dave wisely balked.

My Para 14 with a Storm Lake Barrel stole the show. I pulled two of 50 rounds, and I also had two rounds that had to be nudged into the chamber. Aside from this, all rounds went in to two inch wide hole that was ˝” high. I could not do better. The Rock Island Armory 1911A1 suffered no malfis and displays combat accuracy. If the RIA had a trigger job it could hold its own with most 1911s.

Nathan started with the P245 and he had so-so results. I tried and that was when I realized I had no legs; I tried the P245 from the bench but my results also stunk. There is a possibility that the P245 did not like Winchester White Box ammunition. Nathan’s results were also mixed with my S&W M325 until he went to single action shooting. He then fell in love with the S&W M325. When Nathan fired the P220 he was outstanding.

David did okay with his P220 but my Para 14 with the Storm Lake Barrel; it amazed him. He is positive the Para will shoot with my #1 Norinco that he holds in high esteem. His opinion of the RIA echoed mine. It is a good solid performer and it will get you through the night.

I really want to try the Para with my pet load of 200gr LSWC over 6.1 gr. of Win 231, This is a great pin load and it should be scary in the Para.

Regards,

Richard:D

If you enjoyed reading about "At Long last!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cvb
July 25, 2007, 10:11 PM
2 months post op CABG?
Good luck on your continued recovery. Slow and easy until
okd to drive.

10-Ring
July 26, 2007, 01:44 AM
Well done! Good to hear your recovery is going so well!

If you enjoyed reading about "At Long last!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!