Do you drink alcohol at all? (yes, it's firearms-related)

PDA

jlbraun
July 26, 2007, 01:37 PM
I have seen several members here saying that they do not drink at all, with the implication that it's related to their firearms ownership:

"I don't drink, because if I were ever in a defensive situation, I don't want to be forced to admit on the stand that I was drunk when I shot the home invader - because even if I'm in the right they'll still put me away"

"I carry everywhere, so I don't drink at all"

etc.

Note that "no" means "I totally abstain from alcohol even when I am not around firearms", not "I don't drink when I'm using firearms".

(ETA: Please, no bashing of another's choice to drink or abstain. We can all agree than drinking and handling firearms is a no-no, right?)

If you enjoyed reading about "Do you drink alcohol at all? (yes, it's firearms-related)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
romma
July 26, 2007, 01:41 PM
I don't drink or take drugs anymore because they nearly killed me. But it's nice to know that now that I am a gun owner/entusiast, it's one less thing to worry about...

Jorg Nysgerrig
July 26, 2007, 01:42 PM
I can't imagine this is going to turn out any different than the last threads on the topic where those who imbibe are villianized by the teetotalers and the teetotalers are told to "Lighten up, Francis" by those who imbibe.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=267923
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=219177
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=170573
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=189335
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=187726

ArmedBear
July 26, 2007, 01:43 PM
Somehow I doubt that shooting someone who has broken into your home will suddenly become a crime, just because you had a beer in your own home.

Now if you get rip-roaring drunk, lots of bad things can happen to you, in general. People break their necks falling downstairs. That's the chance you take. And some people are addicted to alcohol. That's not a path I'd want to go down, and if I believed I was at risk, I wouldn't touch the stuff.

But I have a hard time seeing the off chance of a home invasion as a reason to forego having a drink if you want one. People sure seem to dig hard to find things to worry about.

sm
No.

Geno
No, but it's a choice.

XD Fan
July 26, 2007, 01:44 PM
I do not drink by personal choice. Has nothing to do with firearms. Still, that is another good reason not to. Lots of folks do. As long as they do not do it while handling firearms or driving, I say live and let live. If they do while handling firearms, I will not be anywhere in the vicinity for very long.

22-rimfire
You can drink alcoholic beverages and own guns etc. Drinking while carrying is a big no-no. You just have to be responsible in your choices.

Frandy
"I don't drink, because if I were ever in a defensive situation, I don't want to be forced to admit on the stand that I was drunk when I shot the home invader - because even if I'm in the right they'll still put me away"

Well, I do drink alcoholic beverages, but doing so does not equate with drunkeness.

Perhaps I am fortunate in that I was raised in Italian-American household. Wine drinking was accepted as a normal part of the family dinner experience. It's hard to remember ever seeing a family member (parents, uncles, aunts, grandparents) abusing alcohol. It took me until college to abuse alcohol, and it took me to maturity to put it back into its proper place.

tmajors
No I don't drink at all. Nothing to do with firearms though. I have had most of my friends have job, marital, and life ending problems directly related to alcoholism. So I stopped drinking learning from their mistakes.

Justin
July 26, 2007, 01:45 PM
I drink because people post threads like this one. ;)

bruss01
July 26, 2007, 01:45 PM
I typically have a relaxing drink in the evening at home, and frequently have a beer or two with dinner when going out to eat.

I never handle firearms when I have been drinking. I do not drink to the point where I cannot handle simple actions requiring basic dexterity or reasonable judgement. "Drunk" is a term that has a legal definition, but also a subjective meaning.

I don't carry a handgun ( no CCW here ) but I do drive after having a beer or two, and this is safe and legal. Is it AS SAFE as driving with zero alcohol? That's a point to be debated by folks who like to try to argue how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. A car is just as big a responsibility as a firearm, and a small amount of alcohol for someone who is not overly sensitive to it (people's sensitivity to substances does vary) doesn't necessarily make one incompetent at either.

I'm not about to become a teetotaler, neither am I going to toss out all my firearms. There is a middle ground to be safely and legally walked (in most jurisdictions), where one can enjoy the benefits of both.

Pushrod
July 26, 2007, 01:46 PM
Oops, guess I should have read all of the question first. I DON'T drink alcohol at all when I go out shooting. Period. I do drink occasionally though when I home with my wife (usually wine with dinner on a weekend evening).

Werewolf
July 26, 2007, 01:47 PM
One cannot/should not let the fact that they are prepared to defend home, self, family and/or others with a firearm consume them to the point that every thing they do takes into account said firearms.

That said: I never drink when carrying outside the home - ever! But at home I will imbibe the occasional beer or two, sometimes maybe 3, or a glass of wine and that's about it. But those levels are a personal choice because though I enjoy the tase of a good beer or wine I do not enjoy the buzz one gets from the alcohol.

Is my judgement impacted by that little alcohol - undoubtedly - alcohol is a depressant after all - but so what? If someone breaks into my home with evil intent in OK I have the legal right to assume they are there to do me and mine bodily harm. If they happen to get dead when I am taking the necessary action to stop them then my mental condition is/should be irrelevant under most (stress most) conditions.

A good shoot is a good shoot!

springmom
July 26, 2007, 01:48 PM
Yes, I do. Our family loves a good glass of wine with dinner, or a beer (hotdogs and merlot are not my idea of a good time) as called for. I occasionally drink "hard stuff", although it is a rare thing for me to ever have more than two glasses of wine, two beers, or two of anything else in a long evening. My innards tend to not love me the next day if I do.

I don't get drunk. I don't lose control. I don't worry about it as regards my gun ownership at all.

Springmom

ETA:

I drink because people post threads like this one.

I'll drink to that!

mpmarty
July 26, 2007, 01:48 PM
I find this offensive, in the extreme.
You bet your a** I drink alcoholic beverages. Every night with dinner I consume about six ounces of dark red wine. If you have a problem with that you'd go ballistic if you saw my cabinet shop with all the dangerous power tools.
:evil:

RandyB
July 26, 2007, 01:50 PM
I don't drink. Not because I hav any issues with it in moderation. Its just that with kids, work, hobbies, etc. Why bother?

zeroskillz
July 26, 2007, 01:51 PM
I don't drink if I'm carryin, but that's a personal choice.

springmom
Um, Marty, nobody's indulging in personal attacks. Might be best if you weren't the one to start.

(By the way, I found a great Sangiovese at HEB yesterday. I'll let you know how it turns out ;))

Springmom

Evil Monkey
Well I don't drink simply because I give a damn about my right to bear arms WAY more than I do about alcohol. I can live with soft drinks. In fact, I like them better.

Some call me a wimp. I call it being responsible. I've seen how people act when they're drunk, I don't need that in my life causing big mistakes.

hnk45acp
July 26, 2007, 01:52 PM
less booze=more guns:)

fletcher
Yes, but usually only on Mondays ($1.50 margarita night at the local Mexican restaurant w/ friends:neener:) and Saturdays.

less booze=more guns

Agreed. Alcohol is so $$$$$$$$$$$$$

WiscTJK
Yes - I rarely drink, but do on occasion.

Never when using firearms, period.

Biker
July 26, 2007, 01:54 PM
Yes. Carrying or not...and I always carry.
Think the same ol' arguments will come up? Heh heh...

Biker

Justin
July 26, 2007, 01:54 PM
I'll drink to that!

*raises glass*

springmom
July 26, 2007, 01:56 PM
Well I don't drink simply because I give a damn about my right to bear arms WAY more than I do about alcohol

Except that the fact that I have a glass of wine with dinner is not why the antis want to take our guns away. C'mon....

Nor does everyone who has a drink turn into a vicious drunk.

If y'all don't tone down the rhetoric this one's going to get locked faster than you can say "Corona with lime".

Springmom

romma
July 26, 2007, 01:58 PM
Somehow I think if I did still drink, I would shoot better... :rolleyes:

carpenter
July 26, 2007, 01:58 PM
Given the toxicological effect of ethyl alcohol on the human body, it's very unwise to drink for recreational purposes. Ethyl alcohol is a poison. It's "toxic." That's why the root word in the word "intoxicated," is "toxic."

A person who drinks has to some degree been "poisoned."

Il Duca
July 26, 2007, 02:00 PM
If I drink it is usually at a party. I never carry when going to a party and I usually don't order a drink with meals or anything and rarely at home, so I think I'm covered. I'm a social drinker really, and when I drink I am very social.

paul
July 26, 2007, 02:01 PM
Drink alcohol every day if available...
Beer cans make great plinking targets.
P

yongxingfreesty
no alcohol or drugs for me. glad I never got in that and around the right people.

kungfuhippie
No, but it has nothing to do with guns. It has to do with watching my Grandfather die from liver cancer (from a "healthy glass of wine" every day, he wasn't a drunk), stepping around over drunks in the gutter daily in Ecuador and seeing a few guys who drowned in the night because they passed out in the gutter which then filled with rain from those pesky tropical downpours...

So I choose to not drink, my choice, with my reasons. Anybody else that wants to, I don't care. Just live with any consequences to your actions (not just drinking though).

jlbraun
July 26, 2007, 02:02 PM
If y'all don't tone down the rhetoric this one's going to get locked faster than you can say "Corona with lime".

Agreed.

carpenter, no one's disagreeing.

Sistema1927
July 26, 2007, 02:03 PM
My father is an alcoholic.

My grandfather was a drunk (he didn't go to meetings).

My two brothers have spent good portions of their lives drunk or drugged.

My sister went to federal prison due to cocaine.

I think that it is best to learn from the mistakes of others, so I don't drink.

ArmedBear
July 26, 2007, 02:04 PM
"Total abstinence is so excellent a thing that it cannot be carried to too great an extent. In my passion for it I even carry it so far as to totally abstain from total abstinence itself."

"Temperate temperance is best. Intemperate temperance injures the cause of temperance, while temperate temperance helps it in its fight against intemperate intemperance. Fanatics will never learn that, though it be written in letters of gold across the sky."

geekWithA.45
July 26, 2007, 02:04 PM
I hate these threads.

It's where our collective American Puritan streak comes out, and it's not our best moment.

Yes, alcohol is destructive.

For some people.

But not for everyone, and not in all cases.

And them's the breaks, that's just how it is. It's not a judgement, moral or otherwise, nor is it an assertion of superiority/inferiority of one or the other.

It's just simple, unadorned fact, and our society has a hard time grappling with that.

Isn't the whole point of American Liberty live & let live? Isn't the whole point of self determination to determine, for oneself, what is and isn't prudent? Isn't it embedded in our founding the idea that one-size-fits-all simply doesn't work?

Isn't the whole idea of enforcing one's beliefs onto another entirely repugnant to our ethos?

silverlance
July 26, 2007, 02:06 PM
less booze=more guns

ROFL how true!

Personally, I CAN'T drink alcohol. I'm allergic to it.

ArmedBear
July 26, 2007, 02:08 PM
Great window on human nature, though, geek.

People here advocate killing my dog because of her appearance, and total abstinence from fine wine with fine meals, and wonder why other people might think it's a good idea to ban black rifles or have a "gun-free society."

fletcher
July 26, 2007, 02:08 PM

For some people.

I completely agree. My family has a history of alcoholism, but the two most recent generations of it have handled it well so far, with no problems. Moderation is essential for alcohol, just as with anything else.

hjames000
July 26, 2007, 02:09 PM
Curious bit of trivia.

In Olympic rifle contests contestants are tested for alcohol. A few years ago a medal winner was disqualified because he had too much alcohol in his blood. The Olympic officials believe that a six pack of beer ( or equivalent) will improve a bench rest shooter's scores.

Who'd figured?

hnk45acp
July 26, 2007, 02:10 PM
Yes, but usually only on Mondays ($1.50 margarita night at the local Mexican restaurant w/ friends) and Saturdays.
OK! Happy Hour exemption to less booze=more guns rule!

AugustusMcCrae
July 26, 2007, 02:11 PM
Nope. I'm not a drinker.

Unless you count Listerine & I don't since it's not swallowed.:uhoh:

EDIT: I thought I should mention that I'm also 19 so it's not legal for me to drink. But underage kids get beer all the time so I view it as something I could do but won't.

MD_Willington
July 26, 2007, 02:12 PM
Yep I do, I have a beer once in a while...

I have this situation where orphan beers end up at my house, well being a responsible adult and the head of the household (don't tell my wife I said that) it is my obligation to properly dispose of these beers in an appropriate manner... :neener:

The-Fly
July 26, 2007, 02:13 PM
I drink rarely, and not very much when I do. Since I do carry, about the only time I allow myself a drink is when I am at home (while legal to do so in my state, I personally do not believe in having a drink while carrying).

Vern Humphrey
July 26, 2007, 02:14 PM
Being Irish, I have to have a Guiness now and then. And being Catholic, I have to have a sip of wine at communion every Sunday. And each fall, I make up 10 or so gallons of muscadine wine (most of which I give away.)

But I carry a gun because I might have to use it. Since I can't predict when or where I might have to use it, I carry it everywhere, all the time. And for the same reason, I don't do anything to impair my reactions when carrying. I do my drinking sparely, and (other than at Mass) in my home.

Walkalong
Nope, no sense of moderation. Some people just can't drink responsably and I was one of them, although my first choice wasn't alcohol. :cool:25 years and counting.
Hey Vern. I don't even sip the wine anymore. I wish I could have a toddy now and then, but I won't try it.

Yea - lock it - it doesn't have squat to do with guns anymore.

Pistol Toter
No! I do not drink alcohol. But my refraining from those types are beverages has nothing to do with my firearms carry. If you chosse to drink, that is your bussiness and not mine. I do feel that you should not carry and drink at the same time. "Guns and Who Shot John don't mix", John Wayne in "The Shootist" and that is a very valid statement. As long as your drinking does not encroach on my rights or peace, do what you will. Now, grant me the same freedom.

ArmedBear
July 26, 2007, 02:15 PM
I'm sure that a higher-tech sedative would work even better.

Benchrest shooting is not like Olympic Trap or Skeet. It doesn't require great reaction time or full-body coordination. What it requires is a meditation-like mind free of distractions and a hand free of nervous shaking.

A six-pack certainly lowers mental activity, and distraction is what gets in the way of all types of competitive shooting. With benchrest, you don't need to be able to stand up.:p

There's some point where your judgment would be so impaired as to get in the way of your performance, of course, but someone who practices enough could theoretically determine the optimal blood alcohol level.

ArmedBear
July 26, 2007, 02:16 PM
Unless you count Listerine & I don't since it's not swallowed.

Trust me, don't try. Something I learned in college.:p

geekWithA.45
July 26, 2007, 02:17 PM
In Olympic rifle contests contestants are tested for alcohol. A few years ago a medal winner was disqualified because he had too much alcohol in his blood. The Olympic officials believe that a six pack of beer ( or equivalent) will improve a bench rest shooter's scores.

Who'd figured?

That actually goes back a long way.

If you pull gun mags from the 40's & 50's, you'll see articles remarking on how most of the firing line in competitions were plastered. Drunken NDs were laughed off, as long as no one got hurt.

The old army pistol manual I read once had a page written in a chatty style, as if by the chaplain, talking about the use of Quaaludes in matches. IIRC, it went something like, "Now, I know that most of us have thought of using quaaludes to improve our scores..." Actually, the thought would never have occurred to me in a zillion years.

The practice fell out of style when the level of competition was elevated beyond whatever dubious benefit being lit offered, and sober people held the decisive advantage.

springmom
July 26, 2007, 02:21 PM
I have this situation where orphan beers end up at my house, well being a responsible adult and the head of the household (don't tell my wife I said that) it is my obligation to properly dispose of these beers in an appropriate manner...

Now you, sir, are a gentleman. Caring for orphan beers. Brings a tear to my eye.... :neener:

Springmom

igpoobah
July 26, 2007, 02:23 PM
I voted no, because 363 days of the year, it is true. I might be coerced into having a beer here or there, if the conditions are right. I have no problem with others drinking, so long as they can contain themselves.

I choose to live my life in control of my actions, therefore, I don't make a habit of drinking, because I get stupid when drinking. I know some do and some don't. I do, so I choose not to.

Justin
July 26, 2007, 02:24 PM
The Olympic officials believe that a six pack of beer ( or equivalent) will improve a bench rest shooter's scores.

Bench rest isn't an Olympic sport. All of the current Olympic shooting events are either with air guns or small bore.

IIRC, ISSF 300 Meter Rifle, which is 3-position, was done away as an Olympic sport in 1972.

Vern Humphrey
July 26, 2007, 02:26 PM
Unless you count Listerine & I don't since it's not swallowed.

Trust me, don't try. Something I learned in college.

Ever since they started those commercials with that skuzball endlessly swishing it around in his mouth, I haven't been able to use Listerine.

Justin
July 26, 2007, 02:27 PM
The practice fell out of style when the level of competition was elevated beyond whatever dubious benefit being lit offered, and sober people held the decisive advantage.

Some of the old codgers I shoot with have talked about this. Some competitors in bullseye were shnockered. However, most of it was along the lines of having just enough alcohol in your system to lower your heart rate and steady your hand. This would be less than a full glass of wine.

ArmedBear
July 26, 2007, 02:30 PM
Jacques Anquetil, who won the Tour de France 5 times in the late '50s and '60s, claimed he had the following training regimen: "A few whiskies, blonde cigarettes and a woman."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1360000/images/_1364732_anquetil150.jpg

He once drank champagne during the race to help kill a hangover from the night before.

And cigarettes were once commonly smoked by most racers before mountain stages, to "open up their lungs."

So the stories about drunk shooting competitions in the same era may seem bizarre, but they're hardly shocking in context. The pendulum has swung pretty far in the MADD direction. Carrie Nation would be proud.

tydephan
July 26, 2007, 02:31 PM
I am a social drinker.

I drink maybe 3 or 4 times a year, and then only in moderation.

Sometimes I am CCW when that happens. Sometimes I am not.

Moderation.

I typically do not drink at home, although the reasoning is not based around firearms or the likelihood of having to use force.

It is based around me being responsible for two children, and should a trip to the emergency room be needed to care for my children, I'd like to make it without being intoxicated.

One of my good friends drinks heavily every night. He has the same situation I do with kids and all. It's just his choice. To each his own. I do not judge him based on that knowledge.

I encourage you all to re-read Geek45's words from his previous post in this thread, in case you missed them the first time. IMO, he hits the nail on the head:

For some people.

And them's the breaks, that's just how it is. It's not a judgement, moral or otherwise, nor is it an assertion of superiority/inferiority of one or the other.

It's just simple, unadorned fact, and our society has a hard time grappling with that.

Isn't the whole point of American Liberty live & let live? Isn't the whole point of self determination to determine, for oneself, what is and isn't prudent? Isn't it embedded in our founding the idea that one-size-fits-all simply doesn't work?

Isn't the whole idea of enforcing one's beliefs onto another entirely repugnant to our ethos?

Brian Williams
July 26, 2007, 02:34 PM
Not since I found my self looking out of the bottom of a bottle after waking up totally drunk and laying in my own puke.

spankaveli
July 26, 2007, 02:35 PM
I don't drink and it has absolutely nothing to do with my carrying.

sm
July 26, 2007, 02:45 PM
THR and Sister Sites are about Personal Responsibility.

Firearms and the use of Firearms are just one aspect of a person's life.
It does not matter if they are a member of THR, if said member is Pro gun, Sitting on Fence about Firearms, or a Anti.

Yes, We have members and non-members alike that read THR, from all over the world.

So remember when you post, you are an Ambassador Globally.
What ever you believe in, and you post, you are essentially a Global Ambassador.

Personal Responsibility.
This includes being brutally honest with yourself, about anything.

Drinking and guns, cars, taking care of kids, elderly persons under your charge, using power tools, being around the kitchen stove, outdoor BBQ Grill, campfire, flying an airplane, ...

I mean if the kids are playing out back, one falls down, and gets a nasty cut and needs to go to ER for stitches, are you too drunk, high, or both to see that kid gets medical attention?

Did you/ Do you take prudent steps such as you are going to drink, wife is not, so someone can drive to ER.

Just you, the kid, and are you going to be responsible and be honest to call someone else and ask them to drive you and the kid to ER?

Or will you get behind the wheel, with a scared to death kid, hurt, crying, and endanger not only the kid, others on the road, not to mention yourself getting to the ER?

Firearms are just tool in the toolbox.
Personal Responsibility applies to more than just Firearms as well.

So one needs to get down and brutally honest about alcohol, prescription medicines, Over the counter medicines (OTC) ,and illicit drugs and take personal responsibility for consequences.

I don't care if they are members of THR,or not.
I don't care if they are Pro-gun Fence Sitters, or Anti-Gun.
I don't care if they are in the USA, or any Country in the world.

If someone is questioning anything that can be defined as Addictive Behavior, be it Alcohol, Drugs (Rx, OTC, illegal), Gambling, Sex, Smoking, for example.

1. They need to look inside themselves for the answers, being brutally honest.

This applies to those that are seeking justifications of behaviors they do.

I don't care if it is someone From a Anti Gun Group that is skewing and manipulating statistics about firearms , firearm owners and any personal choices they make about anything - from having a glass of wine with dinner, to taking a Rx pain med due to Arthritis, Recovering from Surgery, to easing pain dying of cancer.

Personally,
Polls like this make me suspicious as to why they are posted.

-Does the person have a personal problem and is seeking answers and justification of behaviors.

-Someone else's behaviors makes their life unmanageable and again, seeking answers.

-Rabid Anti Group just looking to trip up folks and get more statistics to hurt Pro-Gun.

The answers are inside of folks, these answers come from within.

Not from any outside source, including a Internet Poll.

glockman19
July 26, 2007, 02:46 PM
I Drink socially. Never before or durring shooting only after a range day or hunt. I'm not and never have been a big drinker.

"There's nothing like an ice cold beer on a very hot day"

kermit315
July 26, 2007, 02:50 PM
i have never drank and never will. not because i think it is evil, but my father was a mean drunk and i dont want to take the chance that alcoholism is an inherited trait and do something i would regret, so i dont tempt the devil so to speak.

Vern Humphrey
Carrie Nation would be proud.
Actually, Carrie Nation was one of those who think humans are totally depraved and must be ruled by the "better sort" -- such as herself. She would never subscribe to SM's point that "THR and Sister Sites are about Personal Responsibility."

bsf
I did not drink for ~5 years after becoming more interested in firearms and their practical use in regards to self-defense. Now, though, I occasionally have the equivalent of 1 beer. Once in a blue moon I will have two. Outside my home I may have maybe 2 beers over a year. I have no problem with responsible people handling guns after/while drinking as long as the drinking is minimal. I think laws are too restrictive in regards to mixing alcohol and firearms, as are most peopleís expectations. As others have already mentioned, drinking a beer should not strip you of your right to effective self defense, and I do not believe drinking in moderation in and of itself precludes a person from affecting a successful self-defense.

eric.cartman
Sure I drink, almost every day actually :-)
Yes, I like few cold beers after a hard day at work.
And no, I'm not going to worry if I shoot a home intruder, even if i'm drunk.

Now, that doesn't mean I go out packing straight into a bar. Although on vew ocasions, I did have a beer with my dinner or a glass of wine, and yes, I was packing at the same time. My rule: if i can't legally drive, i don't carry. One beer or glass of wine is not enough to disarm me :D

Flame away abstinents, flame away!

MrDig
July 26, 2007, 02:51 PM
The Average American consumes a certain amount of Alcohol during the course of a Lifetime. I already drank my share and helped a few others to meet their quota. I don't drink and haven't now for 18+ years.
Does that mean I think that others should not drink? No certainly not. I think that if you are not like me (an alcoholic) you should have the freedom of choice to drink or not drink.
I also think that alcohol and guns don't mix, as a point of fact there was a long period of time where I had no guns in the house due to my drinking. After I sobered up and it finally stuck I realized I liked hunting and shooting sports and I missed them. So I started hunting and shooting again. Today Hunting and shooting without Alcohol are more involved with my lifestyle choices than anything else. I just don't drink, and don't hunt or fish with anybody who does, since my hunting and fishing buddies are all from my AA Club.
I believe statistically you are more likely to have an accident hunting or shooting if Alcohol is in you system, but that is the same for any other activity you participate in if alcohol is in your system. The problem is that hunting or shooting with alcohol is more likely to be fatal than say Fly tying or Cribbage.

ArmedBear
July 26, 2007, 02:52 PM
Do you take prudent steps such as you are going to drink, wife is not, so someone can drive to ER.

According to this, I can drive to the ER after 3 beers.

http://www.addict-help.com/images/alcohol-chart-m.gif

I would NEVER actually do that. But I figure that having one drink with dinner is sufficiently prudent.

"A drink" is not the same as "dead drunk," and "dead drunk" is not the same as "a couple of drinks." People on both extremes of opinion seem to forget this.

Prince Yamato
July 26, 2007, 02:56 PM
Vodka and 7-up or Vodka and Orangina when with friends. Beer and Pizza. Not often, but when I really need to unwind, the drink relaxes me :).

Prince Yamato
July 26, 2007, 02:59 PM
However, most of it was along the lines of having just enough alcohol in your system to lower your heart rate and steady your hand.

"Take a shot of whiskey, it'll calm your nerves". Same deal. I personally can't stand how prude people are when it comes to alcohol. It's not a magic potion. Europeans drink far more than we do and have no where NEAR the problems we do with it.

fletcher
July 26, 2007, 03:01 PM
^ Alcohol problems, like with crime/guns, are heavily dependent on culture.

ArmedBear
July 26, 2007, 03:04 PM
Alcohol problems, like with crime/guns, are heavily dependent on culture.

We create our culture, a little bit each moment.

SteelyNirvana
July 26, 2007, 03:04 PM
I wonder why this question keeps popping up here on THR. But here is my add on.

I did my share of drinking/dope smoking when I was a teen. Now that I'm in my mid-20's I only drink. I can't drink beer, I can have one and it gives me a severe hangover. I seldom ever get one with liquor. So I have a few Gin & Tonics just about every weekend or so. Sometimes there is 2 or more weekends I don't drink anything at all. Sometimes I get on a kick and drink a whole 1/5th of Gin in one night, but when I do that I usually don't drink anything else for about a month or so. I only drink on a Friday or Saturday night.

So yeah, I like to relax and have fun on the weekend's sometimes. I work all week and feel like I should be able to get get buzzed as much or as little as I want to. I don't handle my gun's if I have had even one drink, period and that is the most important thing IMO. If I ever had to be in a HD situation I think the adrenaline rush would kill whatever fun I was having. With that being said why does this question keep popping up on here?? As long as no one is being a dumb-ass and playing with there guns when they have been drinking I don't see why this question is important.

Tully M. Pick
July 26, 2007, 03:05 PM
I drink when I feel like it. On occasion I've been known to drink to excess.

I don't make a habit of it, and it's not my lifestyle.

Past that, anything I have to say wanders into opinion, and everyone has one.

Justin
Actually, Carrie Nation was one of those who think humans are totally depraved and must be ruled by the "better sort" -- such as herself.

Which is pretty funny, given she was an obese busybody with severe impulse control issues.

geekWithA.45
Europeans drink far more than we do and have no where NEAR the problems we do with it.

Yeah, they do.

They just consider it a private matter, rather than a topic of public policy, unless it's out of control rampant, as in Russia and some parts of Scandinavia.

I also note that the impairment chart ArmedBear shows us has some ideologically motivated additions since the charts they had when I was young. Back then, they weren't in such a hurry to assert Zero as the only safe condition, or that impairment was present at 1 drink.

cracked butt
July 26, 2007, 03:06 PM
I like beer and I like rum.
I have shot guns while drinking a beer or two, no big deal. Do I care what others here think of that? No.
Alcohol doesn't turn you evil, and it doesn't make you stupid.
If you are already evil or stupid it just brings that behavior to the surface. If you are a responsible person who is control of yourself and don't have adiction problems, a beer or two won't hurt anything.

DogBonz
Well, I do drink alcoholic beverages, but doing so does not equate with drunkeness.

Perhaps I am fortunate in that I was raised in Italian-American household. Wine drinking was accepted as a normal part of the family dinner experience. It's hard to remember ever seeing a family member (parents, uncles, aunts, grandparents) abusing alcohol.

I too grew up in this type of household.

I look at drinking like I view caliber selection and hunting: Use common sense, do what works for you, and do it responsibly.

I drink almost every day, but rarely have more than 2 drinks per day. First, drinking in small amounts is good for your heart and mental health. As long as you know your limit and donít over do it, there is no problem. You can look at booze the same as guns; those who will abuse it will abuse and those who enjoy responsibly will enjoy responsibly.

ArmedBear
she was an obese busybody with severe impulse control issues.

Sometimes I wonder if there IS reincarnation.

Neo-Luddite
July 26, 2007, 03:13 PM
Alcohol--the drug that's also a food.

That is what really complicates things for us human beings.

Isildur
July 26, 2007, 03:13 PM
Yes I drink but I'm not allowed to carry anyway(live in the wrong country). If I would be allowed to carry I do not know whether I would still drink, alcohol+guns are certainly a bad combination.

Regolith
July 26, 2007, 03:14 PM
For the most part, I do not drink. However, I do not abstain completely, and will drink every once in a while. However, I've been known to go months or years without an ounce of alcohol passing into my body. And I also refuse to drink if there is a possibility of putting myself or others in danger.

Justin
July 26, 2007, 03:15 PM
Corona with li...

If you enjoyed reading about "Do you drink alcohol at all? (yes, it's firearms-related)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!