Do you feel that THR is over-moderated?

PDA

ziadel
July 26, 2007, 08:37 PM
Well, what say you? I've been noticing that calling a spade a spade can easily get you labelled a 'basher'.

If you enjoyed reading about "Do you feel that THR is over-moderated?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Justin
July 26, 2007, 08:38 PM
I was starting to think we were due for the "THR is Overmoderated" thread of the week.

Bazooka Joe71
July 26, 2007, 08:38 PM
I hear footsteps....They sound like Justin's.

:uhoh:

Bazooka Joe71
July 26, 2007, 08:40 PM
Dang it, I was a sec too late.

LOL

But to answer the question, I think 99% of the time is right on target.

BUT you'd also get more responses and honest ones with a private poll. :D

HammerBite
July 26, 2007, 08:40 PM
No.

RobTzu
July 26, 2007, 08:41 PM
Yes.

ziadel
July 26, 2007, 08:41 PM
I was starting to think we were due for the "THR is Overmoderated" thread of the week.

I've never seen one. *shrug* The query stands.

Rosstradamus
July 26, 2007, 08:44 PM
Yes.

Ian
July 26, 2007, 08:45 PM
Nope. All they ask for is civility, it's not that hard.

Tully M. Pick
July 26, 2007, 08:46 PM
No.

Impax
July 26, 2007, 08:48 PM
No.

JWarren
July 26, 2007, 08:51 PM
Actually, I applaude the efforts of the moderators. Their efforts give THR a great deal of credibility outside of our community as a level-headed, and well-run board.

While the mission of THR can be a constraint at times (I've refrained from posting some threads), it makes THR a point of light in the ocean of Internet Noise.

After all, NO ONE is forcing anyone to post here. It's their baby, and they get to rock it any way they see fit.

-- John

jerkface11
July 26, 2007, 08:52 PM
I once had a poll asking how many guns people own deleted. When I complained to the mod who did it he said if I didn't like it he could delete my account as well. So I'll say YES.

lanternlad1
July 26, 2007, 08:53 PM
They ask for civility, yes, but they also pull threads faster than Betsy Ross on speed. Yes, it is Oleg's house, and we should be polite, but the pervasive feeling of "If you don't like it, go somewhere else." gets tiring. Sooner or later, some will leave, but others I'm sure will take their place, so no change will happen.

strat81
July 26, 2007, 08:54 PM
Aside from closing Wal-mart threads, no.

Vanzpp
July 26, 2007, 08:55 PM
Absolutely not. It's refreshing to be on a gun forum where p--ing matches aren't constantly breaking out.

Personally, I'm a pro-gun Democrat. I know I'm in the minority here, and that's OK. I'm civil with others, and I expect the same in return. On other forums (that will go unnamed), all I had to do was mention something that might go against what most other members are thinking, then a big flame war would break out.

I'm glad we keep things civil around here.

RuffRidr
July 26, 2007, 08:58 PM
No. This forum is a refreshing change from most of the other gun forums. I know that everything post on this site has some sort of substance and is worth the read.

--RuffRidr

jerkface11
So who does a pro-gun democrat vote for?

rdaines
I'm new here but have been on other sites and this one seems OK for Moderation. Just don't know what the aversion is to SHTF topics.
:uhoh:

MrDig
There are times when a thread gets locked that I think Dang I wish that stayed open but Oh Well. If you think being a Mod is easy try doing it.
I for one like the way the Moderators handle things here.

johndoe1027
yes I do and that's exactly why I've posted here way more than any other forum. I enjoy it very much.

Bazooka Joe, that was hilarious. :D

Ian
July 26, 2007, 09:00 PM
but they also pull threads faster than Betsy Ross on speed.

And that's a good thing, IMO. Much better for a mod to whack a thread in infancy than let it get going into a long discussion before removing it.

Deavis
July 26, 2007, 09:00 PM
"If you don't like it, go somewhere else." gets tiring

Only because you don't like the hand you've been dealt. Go join another game and see if you like your cards better. The beauty of it is that you can have another choice and another and another and another and so forth. If you think this place is over-moderated, work to change it within the rules or go start your own forum. It is much easier to bellyache than it is to create, that is what you are really saying.

Geronimo45
July 26, 2007, 09:03 PM
Yes. The mods are growing too big for their jackboots. Oleg storms around the forum, converting random threads to Russian. Correia can be found maliciously persecuting people for even dreaming of the S&W lock. All the while, Jeff White can be found threatening to club various members over the head with his nightstick if they are ever found carrying a gun in his state. Justin and Art play a drinking game where one locks a thread, and the other unlocks it. They take a drink each time it's done, until one of them falls over.

I would say more, but Justin would just edit it all out. :p

CWL
July 26, 2007, 09:04 PM
Nope. This is a free forum, let's make sure that it always stays open and free.

There have been enough postings of biased, racist, illegal, wrong, stupid and outright dangerous suggestions on THR over the years, I'm glad we have the Mods we have. Let's not forget that they are volunteers and aren't making any money on this.

CSA 357
July 26, 2007, 09:05 PM
maybe at times, but i guess there is a reason , i just dont like it when a mod disagrees with me, hey we should all have a apinion ! but there are antis here as well, im glad to be here and i think its well ran, when i dont i say so, if i dont like it im always free to leave, :D csa

hnk45acp
July 26, 2007, 09:07 PM
people tend to forget:
1. We're all guests & and the door swings both ways
2. Attack the argument not the poster
3. to use the search function

mjrodney
July 26, 2007, 09:09 PM
No, I do not.

Here on the High Road, even the moderators keep it civil.

I left the Firing Line not only because of over moderating, but because of the demeaning character of the moderators.

Over there, a newbie comes onto the Firing Line and posts in the wrong forum and they jump all over the poor guy before he has a chance to learn the ropes.

The High Road, in my humble opinion, is the best gun forum on the net. Very well done, very well moderated.

Nathanael_Greene
July 26, 2007, 09:10 PM
The forum is not over-moderated.

Brian Williams
Never for OT threads

calling a spade a spade can easily get you labelled a 'basher'.
It is not about calling a spade a spade but how and why you do so.
Besides The elections are still 14+ months away.

supraneurotoxin
I'm here personally because the "mall ninga" effect is slim to none, and the threads contain usefull, intelligent information. I don't have to plow through the canned, well-chewed comments of the air-soft community to find what I need.
when I pose a question, I appreciate the well informed answer I receive, not something someone learned on "medal of honor" after school today. I feel this is the result of attentive moderation on behalf of the staff.

disclaimer: I have nothing against Air-soft, Medal of Honor, or school:neener:

springmom
Nah, we're undermoderated. That's because I'm not a moderator! :neener::neener::neener:

As for this:Yes. The mods are growing too big for their jackboots. Oleg storms around the forum, converting random threads to Russian. Correia can be found maliciously persecuting people for even dreaming of the S&W lock. All the while, Jeff White can be found threatening to club various members over the head with his nightstick if they are ever found carrying a gun in his state. Justin and Art play a drinking game where one locks a thread, and the other unlocks it. They take a drink each time it's done, until one of them falls over.

I would say more, but Justin would just edit it all out.

Cry me a river. You don't like it, go off and play on arfcom. This is ridiculous.

Springmom

Phyphor
July 26, 2007, 09:11 PM
Oleg and co. pay for the server, the connection, and the software. The moderators were given a specific set of parameters to run the board by, that being: Topics should be related to guns and RKBA politics, should not contain flaming/ad hominem attacks, and should not have illegal content.

For those that think the board is overmoderated, I invite you to do one (or both) of 2 things.

1 - Start your own board. Take your money and set up a server, connection, and licensed bulletin board software. Then either moderate it yourself, get volunteers (and have fun figuring out whom you can trust,) or don't moderate it at all. Watch what happens.

Sure, APS is fairly well run, it used to have little or no moderation, but a few bad apples nearly got it shut down. Now, it has a few moderators and is slightly less tolerant of BS. But it's still a good board to frequent. However, it is *not* a board with a specific purpose comparable to THR. It was intended to be a spot for THR members and other folks to get together and shoot the breeze, ask questions that aren't on topic for THR, and generally have a nice time.

THR is a gun board. It's intended to promote RKBA. By keeping to a narrow focus, it presents less ammo for gun grabbers to use against us.

2 - Go to another firearms board, one less moderated. Many of them aren't exactly accepting of newbies, and some are downright cesspools of idiocy.
Flaming that would earn a ban here is routine in a couple of these places.
Not to mention mods that might just ban your ass because they don't like you.

If you feel a mod is being unjust for closing your thread, and you feel your thread is actually on topic / in keeping with the spirit of the board's charter, take it up in PMs with the mod. Save your own PMs and the mod's replies. If you believe the mod is being unfair, then tell Oleg or Derek and offer to forward the entire conversation, so he can make a determination.

Don't try to settle differences by creating a thread complaining about the strictness of the mods. Hell, I've had posts deleted when they were a bit out of hand, so I know how it is. But I could exercise either of the 2 choices I listed above. I'd rather not. This is a well run, good board.

Geno
July 26, 2007, 09:13 PM
No. I've been around here for two years and made over 3,000 posts. Yet, I have only once had a thread closed on me. The moderator was simply requesting that I wait for the event to hit the news so I could post the link.

That is a heck of a good record. Over-moderated? No. Not even close.

Doc2005

Neo-Luddite
July 26, 2007, 09:13 PM
Oleg owns the hall-we get free use of it-mostly for being polite; no one is required to be profound or even interesting.

How egalitarian can such an enterprise be?

Hawk
July 26, 2007, 09:15 PM
Cry me a river. You don't like it, go off and play on arfcom. This is ridiculous.

Springmom

Springmom for moderator!

crew590
July 26, 2007, 09:15 PM
No. I enjoy a place where I can hang out (as much as one can on the internet) and have civil discussions with people without it resorting to chaos.

Jay

Phyphor
July 26, 2007, 09:16 PM

Springmom

Uh, I think he was joking....

springmom
July 26, 2007, 09:17 PM
Springmom for moderator!

GAK! Bite your tongue! :what::neener:

Springmom

Geronimo45
July 26, 2007, 09:20 PM
That was the purpose of the post. Satirish.

operator114
July 26, 2007, 09:21 PM
Well, after reading that thread about GUNKID, and reading the stuff from a Google search, I would have to say "No", THR is not being over-moderated, because of trolls like GUNKID.

I got the hint that THR has an aversion to SHTF threads. Maybe it was GUNKID that ruined it for everbody.

I do appreciate the moderators having a sense of humor, as in allowing silly threads about Glock and a bucket full of Drano going on.:)

springmom
July 26, 2007, 09:25 PM
That was the purpose of the post. Satirish.

That's good. My apologies. The sorry state of things is, it could just as easily have been straight on. :uhoh: (Glad it wasn't)

Springmom

cavman
July 26, 2007, 09:25 PM
No.

I appreciate the civility and thoughtful discussions, the lack of foul language, and the wealth of knowledge that so many of the posters have and share.

The recent addition of the Activism is great too. In addition to all of our discussions, the promotion of getting the THR's to get involved, to have outlets, and to help influence the changing of some of our State's restrictive laws (notice Maryland residence) has the potential to do great good to our Civil Liberties.

best,
cavman

ps I also appreciate the members' insistence for a minimal level of thought and grammar so everyone can spend more time on analyzing the content, rather than time on deciphering

gunsmith
July 26, 2007, 09:26 PM
craigslist, myspace and yahoo offer examples of what we are avoiding here.
You have to be able to cite a law or prove your point without resorting to cursing or wickipedia.

It shouldn't be difficult if you are correct, but if you are an immature hooligan it is very difficult indeed.
I have learned a great deal over the years...
Legal concepts to grammar to safe gun use to computer skills, all thanks to thr!
(thank you mod's)....

JWarren
July 26, 2007, 09:27 PM
I got the hint that THR has an aversion to SHTF threads. Maybe it was GUNKID that ruined it for everbody.

Operator,

You are probably correct in your correlation. GK was a bit before my time here (thank the gods.)

Really, SHTF threads are discouraged because they tend to quickly gravitate towards flights of fantasy and quickly lose any productive value here. Couple that with the fact that everyone is dealing with a hypothetical situation where there are many points of view and possibilities- then you tend to get arguments that can't be proven, but strangely, never end either.

And I say this as a fan of SHTF threads. But I respect the board enough to take them to Zombie Squad. :) They LIVE for those threads-- and are good. They eat idiotic suggestions without even chewing.

-- John

Glockman17366
July 26, 2007, 09:28 PM
Not really...it is a gun forum and some topics do go off on a tangent or enter the realm of pure fantasy. Frankly, most the SHTF threads get a little strange, IMHO.

sm
July 26, 2007, 09:31 PM
Puh-leeze!

<rolls sleeves up>

Now I am ready!

-Where does this Guy Oleg get off from Russia, spending his own money, opening up a forum when TFL closes?

-Derek Z, Yeah the Admin guy with the name my spell checker goes "your kidding?" , donates his time, his equipment, and picks up the tab for bandwith.

Top Staff one will note so far, spending time,money and resources, and all folks gotta do, is agree to a few simple rules upon registering which is FREE

-Tamara. Now where does this 5'12" "girl" that corrects Webster's on Spelling,
correct usage of words and language , knows all about History, Firearm History, Military History, Can shoot a gnat's butt at umpteen bazillion yards, "kilt a bear when she was three...
How dare she dare she go to work so she can sell guns, instruct new shooters, run a gun range, and make money to feed her guns, cats, and buy gourmet meals that nuke in three minutes or less!

-Mal H.
He gives his time and expertise freely too.
I mean the fella's portable computer requires a temp controlled room 10' x12', and he does square roots by hand faster than folks can with a calculator.
How dare him do math stuff, write texts, spend time with wife and family.
Don't he know he is supposed to be here 24/7/365!

-Justin.
Graduate of the University of _____ and is too humble, modest, to admit it.
Just a "kid", only shaves every other day.
Smart as a whip, personable, responsible, and how dare him go to work, buy a house, fix it up!
What does he mean by going Prarire Dogging and taking dogs at yardages off hand, standing up and no scope.
How dare him take off, drive some miles to be with other THR folks, some even Staff, and be decent human beings.
Don't he know he has a Forum that is "supposed to be the center of his universe".

-Correia,
What does he mean having a family, job, teaching CCW free to College Students.
Don't he know he is supposed to be at my beck and call any time of day!

-Larry Ashcraft.
Gee Larry, what do you mean you have business you own, run you need to attend to?
Super neat wife, Neat kids, 8 grandkids, teaching new folks to shoot, having THR folks come out to visit and all...
I mean come on Larry, all this is not important, where is the answer to the question I have not thought of yet!

Again, all these Staff folks spend their time freely, money freely, work behind the scenes and still, all a member has to do is agree to rules of conduct upon registering and its still Free.

Oh yeah, we need a Sub-Forum about Over-Moderating all right.
I ain't through.

Art, quite grinning, you are on my list,
Dave Mc, Byron, JShirley, you too.
Kaylee, yeah, I ain't afraid to speak my mind on the "girls" around here

<mumble-grumble>Free Forum<mumble-grumble>How dare Staff have a life and all...<mumble-grumble>

Shadowwolf80
July 26, 2007, 09:33 PM
The work of the moderators here is the reason folks like me lurk here daily. :D

Arkie
July 26, 2007, 09:35 PM
Well for one I like it here.

I have actually met some of the Mods and posters on here. A great bunch to talk to and hang out with.

This is one place that you can come in here and just talk or read without sifting through all the cussing, backtalking, backstabbing, or whiners.

They have to put up with a lot and I admire how much work they really do and still have time for other things away from the computer.

Way to go Mods!!!

jimbob1911
July 26, 2007, 09:37 PM
It may appear to be a bit over moderated but it is better than being under moderated. If you post something that others don't like on arfcom everyone jumps on you and says you are lying instead of just moving on to the next thread. It is better to be run this way because I think you lose more people to being ridiculed at other sites and people not wanting to post for fear of being made fun of and the thread turning into a giant flame session. I for one don't post so others can make me feel like crap but rather for insights, information, and other peoples points of view.

Black Majik
July 26, 2007, 09:38 PM
Hmm... this is probably the one board where I've never felt it's ever been overmoderated. I remmber not too long ago, I had a sales listing on the for sale forum. Forgot to put my state which qualifies as a delete, but the mod who saw my thread was kind enough to look into my thread and edit a state into my title. The "delete" button would have been faster, but that mod (thank you which ever mod it was) let me keep my thread instead.

I like this forum.

Lonestar49
July 26, 2007, 09:39 PM

Not really, IMO, as many threads get stale, or off track, and the locks are good for moving on to new business..

LS

Correia
July 26, 2007, 09:43 PM
Let me think...

In the last few days, I've personally deleted comments about "filthy mexicans", "wetbacks", "faggots", "homos", "dikes" and a couple different cases of posters calling each others names. Looking at what the other mods have dealt with in the last couple of days, they've deleted members calling each other things including "idiot", "moron", "faggot", "nazi", "fascist", "fascist wingnut", "*******", "*****", and others.

In the last week, we've dealt with people trying to entrap members to sell them illegal guns, straw men purchases, how to build bombs, how to build a machine gun, how to illegally import a gun, and other stuff. Those got deleted too.

In the last month we've banned big bunches of undercover stormfronter mullet nazis, trolls, and recidivists.

In that same time, we've allowed threads to run about topics that are guarenteed to turn into flamefests, in the vain hope that they would actually, maybe just this once, turn out okay, even though we've seen them crash and burn repeatedly. Ironically, the guy questioning our abilites has a giant red Ron Paul in his signature line. Those threads have been insanely heated, but we've managed to keep most of them open.

Some of your pet topics that you love to death? You think they're really important? Well, at that same time we're receiving complaint e-mails from twenty other posters about how annoying those threads are. We close them, we receive twenty other e-mails about how much we suck. Go figure.

Some topics get clamped down on, and you guys might just have to take a deep breath and look at it from our perspective. That topic might be your most favoritest topic in the entire world, but if the previous ten times we've had that same topic, it degenerated into a flame fest, name calling, or general stupidity that makes THR and gun owners in general look bad, we're gonna be tough. It isn't personal.

I've been a mod here since THR opened. In that time I've been called every name you can think of. In one 48 hour period, I was called a nazi, a fascist, a liberal, a neo-con, and a libtard, all for my actions, in the SAME THREAD. I'm still trying to figure that one out, since those things tend to be mutally exclusive.

If a mod clamps down on your topic, it might not be because of you personally. It might just be because some of the people on your side, are not exactly helping your cause. They may, in fact, be huge idiots, who are making THR and gun owners look stupid.

There are threads on here where I've been the bad guy, and clamped down on them hard, and tried to steer them in a direction that didn't make us look like mouth breathing, knuckle dragging, imbeciles, and these are threads where I AGREED WITH THE ORIGINAL POSTER!

We've had a bunch of nonsense lately about bashing some groups. You may love to bash that group. That may be your hobby. You may be the captain of the (fill in the blank) bashing squad.

But if we have other THR members who belong to that group, then we can't you bash them. Because then, when they want to bash your group, we would have to let them.

Some of you say that you're sick of the "if you don't like it, go to a different board" attitude.

Guess what? We're not trying to be mean. But at the end of the day, THR is one thing. It is Oleg's board, and we're going to steer it in his direction. We can't be all things to all people.

I'm being sincere when I say that there are a lot of other really good boards out there. I'm sure that one of them will fit your style and personality. We're not in this to win a popularity contest. We don't have ads, and we don't get more advertising money by how many times people click on this board. (in fact, it costs us more money, which is mostly paid by the mods, and donations from the general membership).

So if you want an unmoderated board, they're out there. If you want to discuss a topic that we don't discuss here, there is probably a board built for that.

But if you like the people at THR, and you want to discuss that topic with them, you're just going to have to trust us. We've been through this before. Believe me.

And just because you personally haven't seen a thread complaining about how we do stuff, just means you haven't been here much, or you aren't paying attention. We get these threads about once a week.

Then you'll say, but if you're getting so many complaints, you must be doing something wrong. Nope. We've got 10,000 active members. It is impossible to make all of them happy all of the time. That is just math. Any action we take will offend somebody on one side of that bell curve.

If you've got a specific problem, other than a general "the mods suck and r mean to me", send a PM to the mod in question. If you really hate that mod, then send a PM to Oleg. Believe it or not, we really do care about people's opinons.

And for the guy who's talking about being threatened with a banning... We don't like to ban people. In fact, I think we're often too damn nice. Normally when I see a member post something about how some mod "threatened" them, when I check the records (and yes, we do keep records of every warning) there was usually a pretty damn good reason.

Well, I hope that helps. Now I'll wait for the inevitable e-mails that tell me I'm a jack booted, cop-apologist, anarchist, fascist, liberal neo-con, baby seal clubber. :)

thirty-thirty
July 26, 2007, 09:45 PM
I find it very over-moderated. I do not seek comfort in discussions, I seek truth.
It was better a couple months ago. Now I see moderators getting an antagonistic last word in before locking a thread.

I don't post much here anymore.

cosine
July 26, 2007, 09:52 PM
Over-moderated? No.

Fosbery
July 26, 2007, 09:53 PM
No.

Biker
July 26, 2007, 09:54 PM
Dunno...Wouldn't mind seein' a thread consisting of pics of naked women holding EBRs while seated on Harleys. Other than that, I think the mods here do a fine job.

Having bounced in rough bars for years, I know that there is a fine line between anarchy and acceptable uprorious debauchery.
THR mods have a nose for where that line lies.
Be grateful.

Biker:)

CDignition
July 26, 2007, 09:55 PM
Of course it is....silly.

JWarren
July 26, 2007, 09:59 PM
Biker wrote:

Dunno...Wouldn't mind seein' a thread consisting of pics of naked women holding EBRs while seated on Harleys.

Biker,

I think I saw one of those on the Saiga forum not too long ago. I have it bookmarked on my laptop. :)

Correia wrote:

I've been a mod here since THR opened. In that time I've been called every name you can think of.

Correia,

I was once called a Mississippi Goat-roper while living in NYC. Betcha never heard that one. LOL :)

-- John

Byron Quick
July 26, 2007, 09:59 PM
From your post count, it's safe to say you never posted much here.

As far as being antagonistic, when you're closing the 1,313th SHTF thread (or whatever) started AFTER the mods asked the membership to cease and desist...it's hard to resist getting a bit snarky.

It's usually the same actors...the usual cast. It would probably just be easier to ban the lot but we don't like to ban. So we try to lead, to persuade. Oh, boy. It's a thankless task.

Herding cats is what it is.

As Ben Franklin said,"Neither a leader nor a follower be."

Biker
July 26, 2007, 10:01 PM
Ummm...wouldja PM me with that site,, JWarren? Mucho gracias.

Biker:)

FourTeeFive
July 26, 2007, 10:03 PM
For all the reasons Correia mentioned, and many others, I would like to see people act a bit more high-road here.

Funny that this thread came up, because just the other night I started questioning the old "an armed society is a polite society" adage specifically due to threads I had been reading here. People certainly weren't acting polite.

Say what you will, but I do appreciate keeping things on track. And I also remember that this is someone else's playground, and they're nice enough to let me play here. I play by their rules. If I don't like their rules I am free to leave and form my own playground. That's how it works.

P.S. - I've been spanked for comments, and I don't disagree with the moderator's decision to do so.

jerkface11
July 26, 2007, 10:03 PM
Is Mississippi Goat Roper a good thing or a bad thing?

JWarren
July 26, 2007, 10:05 PM
Jerkface,

dunno.... I'm still trying to figure that one out, too. Oddly, I find it funny when I visualize someone attempting that.

-- John

Frandy
Another NO. I favor moderation, and civility, and being high road... :D

tinygnat219
Not Aggressive enough in closing down the Ron Paul threads. Those things pop up faster than cockroaches.

Mot45acp
July 26, 2007, 10:07 PM
As a member with a rocky start, I can say this is the only forum I participate in. THR was my first forum. I threw my hissy fit and started to go to other forums. After seeing what the others were like, THR is the only one I participate in.

Whining about the moderation here, is along the same lines of the people who move next to a range then bitch about the noise, or complain about whats on TV instead of changing the channel.

For those whose best argument is "it sucks" I will say this:It is not a democracy, it is an oligarchy. There are no walls or bars to keep you here. At the very least you are getting what you paid for, so, you are not out anything if you leave.

Red Dragon
July 26, 2007, 10:07 PM
Overmoderated?... I dunno. let me ask a moderator :D

RocketMan
July 26, 2007, 10:08 PM
For a bunch of "jack booted, cop-apologist, anarchist, fascist, liberal neo-con, baby seal clubbers," the THR moderators do a pretty good job.
(Sorry, Correia, that was just too good to pass up.)

Seriously, given the S/N ratio inherent in a place like this, our moderators do a good job, and it shows. THR, with over 10,000 members, remains the best firearms forum on the web.

orionengnr
July 26, 2007, 10:11 PM
An earlier poster in this thread saiid that he hadn't seen an "Is THR over-moderated thread of the week yet." He must not get out much...

I see, and post on, about one per week (lately). And my responses are pretty predictable. :)

In my 2 1/2 years and 1150+ posts, I've never had a mod contact me, nor had a thread closed. I'd like to believe that is because my momma taught me how to mind my manners.

I try to speak my piece in a civil manner. Others can disagree and perhaps persuade me...in a civil manner. I also pm people when I believe that to be more appropriate. I have had some fairy heated debates via pm (even today), but for the most part, no harm, no foul. As it should be.

Calling people names, stomping your feet and throwing the F-bomb never changed anyone's mind.

It's adult subject matter, and the discussion is conducted in an adult manner.

I like it just fine here.

And yeah, if you don't like it here, the door swings both ways.

I was going to throw a :) in there, but on further reflection, I don't think that is appropriate. You may not defecate in the drinking water supply, regardless of your "feelings" or perceived First Amendment rights.

Have a nice day.

Citroen
July 26, 2007, 10:12 PM
After several years on another forum I moved to THR when they banished a poster who should have been kicked off of the other forum too but was not. Civil discourse is fast disappearing from the planet - I like that THR actually does what is claims to be and that is stick to the high road.

John
Charlotte, NC

Wayne G.
July 26, 2007, 10:14 PM
This is redundant nonsense that I've seen resurface at least once a week.

THE SEARCH FEATURE IS YOUR FRIEND!

Feanaro
July 26, 2007, 10:16 PM
I think that this question is over-asked. I cannot be insulted or offended via the internet. Been playing with it too long. It wouldn't bug me if THR had no rules. But THR has a mission. SHTF topics and curse-ladden temper tantrum aren't a part of it.

THR would not be enriched by less moderation. Look at the ARF-COM boards. Sure, there is a lot of good information there. Somewhere in the middle of a crap sandwich.

Kevin108
July 26, 2007, 10:21 PM
This forum is very lightly moderated compared to forums such as AustrianPlasticPistolSpeak.com and mColtPistolBetween1910and912.org :neener:

fast eddie
July 26, 2007, 10:22 PM
Yes, it is Oleg's house, and we should be polite, but the pervasive feeling of "If you don't like it, go somewhere else." gets tiring. Here's an idea; if you don't like it, go somewhere else.

Glock22
July 26, 2007, 10:23 PM
I do not think that THR is over moderated. The mods keep it civil and thats what is so great about THR, the threads don't turn into name calling fights over the topics being discussed.

I come to THR to find information about firearms, if I want to read lousy things i would go to other forums and I am sure thats why many people come here.

Anteater1717
July 26, 2007, 10:23 PM
No

SSN Vet
July 26, 2007, 10:24 PM
yes and no....

I appreciate the civil and mostly well informed discussions, which I credit to the mods putting the brakes on the "bufoons" that seem to dominate so much of the internet.

Yet, post a political commentary by Anne Coulter on the Legal and Political board and it'll get locked in a heartbeat.

I personally think that the ongoing debate in this country between liberals and conservatives has a very direct affect on 2nd ammendment issues. I also think moral debates have a real, if not direct impact on gun rights.

If you think otherwise, just wait untill the libs have both houses of congress and the white house.....

After you kiss your "assault weapons" goodbye, remember all the threads that got locked for bashing the Dim-whit-crats.

CNYCacher
July 26, 2007, 10:28 PM
Absolutely not.

Stay on topic and on the high road and you can stay on the . . . high. . . road.

hso
July 26, 2007, 10:30 PM
See, here's the thing, if you want a rowdy road house you can find tons of those on the internet. If you want some good-ole-boy tavern where only the "right" type of folks are allowed in and the "wrong" sort of folks have to endure the derision of the crowd, this ain't that type of place. Plenty of those out there also. It's different here. It's going to stay that way.

MT GUNNY
July 26, 2007, 10:30 PM
I vented the other day when i started the Thread named "The 1st amendment here on THR"

It went well And I learned that the moderators alot more than we think
and were very open to the thread and comented thoughly

RugersAllTheWay!
July 26, 2007, 10:31 PM
:eek: What!?!? No, I don't think so. As you can see I may not post much, but I do check it out daily. Sometimes several times a day. Anyway, their have been many, many posts when I wonder why the Mods haven't locked it yet. So, you wouldn't want me as one. Anyway, from what I can tell this is a great forum, when compared to the others out there. The information is useful and usually given in an acceptable manner.

By the way, is over-moderation gun related or 2RBA related? This thread should be locked!:what::D

Mods - Keep it up guys and gals, you are doing an excellent job! If I wanted to go hear :cuss:, there are other forums out there.

So, once more into the breech!

Lance

tbtrout
July 26, 2007, 10:33 PM
No

SecuritySixShooter
July 26, 2007, 10:36 PM
I dont think that THR is over-moderated. I think the mods do a fine job!

eltorrente
July 26, 2007, 10:38 PM
Dang it, I was a sec too late.

LOL

LOL that is just TOO funny :D

I would say "no, not necessarily". I think it's heavily moderated, and that's a good thing usually. There's been a few threads that got closed that I thought was a little too quick, but no big deal at all really. The worst boards are the undermoderated boards. This one has a pretty good handle on things IMO.

meef
July 26, 2007, 10:44 PM
Over-moderated?

They put up with me.

From a purely personal perspective, I couldn't ask for more tolerance than that.

Number 6
July 26, 2007, 10:48 PM
THR is not over-moderated. The moderators do an excellent job.

Walkalong
July 26, 2007, 10:49 PM
Actually, I applaude the efforts of the moderators. Their efforts give THR a great deal of credibility outside of our community as a level-headed, and well-run board.

I cruised a lot of boards before becoming a member here. I chose THR because there wasn't the sniping and bickering and other child like comments prevalent on many other forums. Very civilized, very High Road as it were. I spend 95% of my online forum time here. It is pitiful what goes on in some forums.

Larry Ashcraft
July 26, 2007, 10:51 PM
Do you feel that THR is over-moderated?
Compared to what?

If THR is over moderated, I plan on keeping it that way.

tydephan
July 26, 2007, 10:54 PM
No.

As an example, this thread, which was posted in "General Gun Discussions" has remained open this along, despite being horribly off-topic.

With that being said...I wouldn't expect it to last much longer. :D

Kudos to the mods.

scrat
July 26, 2007, 10:54 PM
uhh no. you dont get around if you think this is heavily modded

chefman
July 26, 2007, 10:58 PM
NO!

03Shadowbob
July 26, 2007, 11:06 PM
THR is as successful as it is because it is moderated in the right way. The purpose of this board is kept on track and that is something most of us are thankful for. If you want SHTF threads go to whenshtf.com, if you want Wal-mart threads go to TFL, if you want excellent useful info relating to all things guns, stay here for a while.
If you don't like it, that's fine. No hard feelings. When you leave there will be 2 or 3 others that come in your place and the process is reincarnated again.

ctdonath
July 26, 2007, 11:07 PM
The moderators do a GREAT job here. Insofar as there are complaints, they usually come from people relatively new to internet discussions. Those of us who have been posting to assorted boards for decades know that what is usually whined about on THR as "over-moderating" is a wise move based on long experience with the consequences of what gets "moderated"; the "victim" may see nothing wrong with the offense, but only for ignorance in the natural order of such discussions.

What is insightful and edgy for a relative newbie is all too often an annoying lame retread over a long-dead horse. Quit whining, use the search function, and learn from those who have orders of magnitude more posts than you.

Jorg Nysgerrig
July 26, 2007, 11:11 PM
It never fails. Someone whines about the moderators, you do a search on their recent post, and find a moderator recently locked a post that was out of line.

Exhibit A is ziadel's post this morning (http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=3579505&postcount=1) where he says "No cop bashing" because he knows that will get the thread locked, but managed to slip in such snide comments as "real professional, another leo busts a cap in self", "demonstrates his amazing level of proficiency", and "They dont need your assitance to look stupid, they do just fine on their own". Obviously he is clearly aware that such comments will result in the thread being locked, but somehow thinks his admonishment against them gives him free reign to get in a few cheap shots. Said poster is then miffed when a moderator, unsuprisingly, locks the thead.

One might notice that three non-moderator members pointed out this thread started off going the wrong direction. That should have been a pretty good sign things were going awry.

Personally, I think the mods let too much slip through the cracks. There are too many posts here that justify their existence by some tangential reference to firearms. Likewise, not every story that mentions a gun is worthy of discussion.

Unless ziadel or someone else had some kind of insight on weapon retention, there wasn't much of a way to go other than bashing the cop in that thread. It's pretty clear ziadel's intention was to mock and humiliate the officer on a public forum, despite his call for no cop bashing. Ziadel did what he set out to do and his thread was appropriately locked.

bumm
July 26, 2007, 11:16 PM
I think the moderation is about right. I've seen a few threads shut down that I really couldn't understand, but so what? This is the only gun board I go to DAILY. I guess I must like it here. Marty

grampster
July 26, 2007, 11:17 PM
I've been a member of THR since it opened when TFL went into hibernation. Before I found TFL I stumbled around the Innertube because I wanted to have my horizons broadened by conversing with people from around the country and around the world. What I found, in many cases, wasn't pretty. Clannishnes, snobbery, flaming, etc etc ad nauseum. Places like THR and TFL are the exception and the reason is two fold. Oleg has has a vision for THR and his handpicked moderators help him cultivate that vision. It is expressed in the rules you all agreed to when you signed up.

So it's simple. Follow Oleg's vision. You agreed to the rules. Keep your word. If one of the mods steps on you, then, just maybe, you deserved it.

Follow one rule and you'll be fine most of the time. 1. Think twice, post once.

The mods are doing a fine job and a thankless one. Good work, and thank you, all of you.

220_Swift
July 26, 2007, 11:18 PM
The only reason the mods are so busy is so many people don't follow the rules. I read the rules that I had to agree to when I signed up. And I am OK with obeying them. Pretty simple, follow the rules and their will be no problems.

LaEscopeta
July 26, 2007, 11:19 PM
It's their baby, and they get to rock it any way they see fit.Only because you don't like the hand you've been dealt. Go join another game and see if you like your cards better.We're all guests & and the door swings both waysOleg owns the hall-we get free use of it-mostly for being politeit is Oleg's house, and we should be polite+1, +1, +1 etc.

I’ll add my own colorful analogy: It their playground, they you want to play here you follow their rules. If don't don’t like analogies, here it is straight:
Oleg and co. pay for the server, the connection, and the software.
it costs…which is mostly paid by the mods

fletcher
July 26, 2007, 11:19 PM
IBTL :neener:

Two Cold Soakers
July 26, 2007, 11:22 PM
undercover stormfronter mullet nazis Any pictures?

By the way, I ,like it here, and I generally shy away from large groups of people.

Keep up the good work

busy_squirrel
July 26, 2007, 11:26 PM
Not usually. Occasionally they are slower to lock something than I would like, but I just close that thread and read another.

The Lone Haranguer
July 26, 2007, 11:26 PM
It is what it is. :) I'll just save my more ... colorful postings for somewhere else. ;)

scubie02
July 26, 2007, 11:30 PM
meh, I actually think that most of the time it's about right.

Gator
July 26, 2007, 11:30 PM
Not at all.

SouthpawShootr
July 26, 2007, 11:35 PM
No. I think this THR's moderators do pretty well overall.

I'm a member of a couple of forums where the mods are very heavy handed. I don't post there much.

I've visited a couple of forums that appear to have little or no moderator presence. When they're small, everything stays civil. As they grow, it becomes total anarchy. Most threads degenerate into name-calling or did-so, did-not exchanges.

The Deer Hunter
July 26, 2007, 11:38 PM
No.

At times I feel as though it is a little under-modded. But for the most part no.

sturmgewehr
July 26, 2007, 11:52 PM
I left the Firing Line not only because of over moderating, but because of the demeaning character of the moderators.
Yup, I left there too and found this new home because of the horrible moderation on that site. The moderators show favoritism and are just plain rude. Fortunately there are plenty of gun boards out on the Internet so if you dislike one it's easy to find another. :)

Larry Ashcraft
July 26, 2007, 11:52 PM
Oh, Lord, here come the PMs. ;)

Lights out.

See you next week. ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "Do you feel that THR is over-moderated?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!