July 26, 2007, 11:47 PM
Latest Harbor Freight item
Executive Safe
Overall Dimentions
Outside 59"HX21"WX15"D
Weight 230 Lbs
Lot # 95824
$249.99 Reg Price $299.99

If you enjoyed reading about "Deal Alert: Harbor Freight safe sale $250" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Vonderek
July 27, 2007, 12:35 AM
I'm not familiar with this particular safe but if it's anything like Harbor Freight's tools I wouldn't want to trust it to protect my collection. Like anything, you get what you pay for.

TehK1w1
July 27, 2007, 12:35 AM
Not a bad deal, but it will not keep any BG out for long, it is rather thin-walled and has a minimum-security lock.

ABTOMAT
July 27, 2007, 12:43 AM
If it stays true to HF form, the safe itself will steal your guns and sell them to crackheads.

Aaryq
July 27, 2007, 01:15 AM
I'd be leery about harbor freight. My old SNCOIC told me about them. He told me that unless it is a tool that are deisgned to be replaced (worn out hammers, screwdrivers, apexes, drill bits, etc) don't buy it. Get something else with a lifetime warranty or something that has a reputation for being a quality product. I'll trust him because he's been the tool room SNCOIC for about 6 years straight (until he retired now). Look it over before you pay a cent.

Hoppy590
July 27, 2007, 02:03 AM
harbor freight is great for cheaply made, disposable tools. not a term i like to link to the firearms cultures desires

swingset
July 27, 2007, 03:35 AM
Harbor Freight sells some good stuff, too....it's a mixed bag. Some stuff junk, some not so bad, some actually pretty good.

I bought a set of their cheap digital calipers for $14.99, and they're as accurate as my Starrett's, and just as fast which is nice.

hemiram
July 27, 2007, 05:07 AM
My friend has two of the "Electronic Digital Safe" safes, and they seem to be pretty decent for the money. He has them so well hidden, I bet that nobody who doesn't know where he put them would ever find them. I only know because I helped put them in:

I might get one myself:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91006

bogie
July 27, 2007, 11:54 AM
I like their stuff for things that don't have to be "exact." I wouldn't use one of their smaller scales to measure powder... But they make one heckuva sledgehammer, and their silver tarps are excellent, and even better on sale. They're also great for clamps.

If something requires quality (i.e., a saw blade) I'll go elsewhere. But for stuff like casters, whatever... fine.

Also, there are items that they're unloading that were copied back in the fifties, sixties and seventies from US products... These tend to be decent things...

Moondoggie
July 27, 2007, 12:22 PM
I've picked a few good deals at HF over the years....

I bought a pnuematic grinder/cutoff tool, ratchet, and butterfly impact driver. These were for light-duty occasional use. I've gotten more than my money's worth out of them and they're all still going strong.

Also picked-up a factory reconditioned McCullough chain saw at HF or light use around the place...$79 and also still going strong after 10 yrs of occasional use.

I don't need to pay $50 bucks for a Craftsman/Rigid pipe wrench that I'm probably only going to use 10 times over the rest of my life.

Some of their stuff is OK.

If I was in the market for a second safe, I'd consider one from HF.

zeroskillz
July 27, 2007, 12:26 PM
I think of them as a resource for disposable tools..... I'd be a bit leary of any of their products. YMMV
-Ted

Spot77
July 27, 2007, 12:35 PM
Good for keeping your "babies" (to quote the fella' from the Youtube debate) out of the hands of children.

And it's probably a good deterant to an average bad guy.

bogie
July 27, 2007, 12:37 PM
On the "disposability" issue... For a long time I used a pair of their 9.6 volt rechargeable drills for turning brass. I got a brass lathe, so I don't use them so much anymore, but they still work.

And that's tough duty...

ilbob
July 27, 2007, 12:45 PM
I do not think much of their electric tools (electric drills and such). I would avoid them.

I have bought a fair number of hand tools from them, and while they are not as pretty as more expensive brands they have all been functional and I have yet to break any. And if I did, they all have a lifetime warranty.

I bought one of the small keypad style safes. Fits under the bathroom sink. Not something that would keep a determined thief at bay for long, but will discourage them. been there for 3 or 4 years. Original set of batteries. Works every time.

MD_Willington
July 27, 2007, 12:50 PM
Best place to det a drill press, 12 ton press, & bolt cutter/rivet tool for the AK home builder...

tmajors
July 27, 2007, 01:27 PM
Only thing I've ever got a Harbor Freight was a water pump for my garden fountain. Looked pretty much identical to the name brand sold at lowe's/home depot but cost less then 50%. Think I got it for $10 as opposed to $39.99. Thing has worked for 2 years now even running through the winter. The brand name I was replacing only lasted for 6 months.

So not everything they sell is crappy, though I only have one item so far to compare with.

ilbob
July 27, 2007, 01:33 PM
I bought my wife a decorative windmill a few years ago at HF. Still works. Looks pretty nice out in front of the deck.

I also got some solar powered landscape lights. They have LED bulbs and work pretty good.

I am seriously looking at a small ($40 on sale) drill press there. Pretty solid look and feel.

I also buy their assortments of nifty things like screws, bolts, nuts, washers, etc. They are low end things but most of the time you don't need a grade 8 bolt for stuff around the house.

ceetee
July 27, 2007, 01:59 PM
If it's this one here, (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=95685) it says it has an 11 ga body, 8 ga door. 11 ga may not be as thick as 10, but it is thicker than 12...

a1abdj
July 27, 2007, 03:50 PM
In order of importance:

Barrier: The thicker and stronger, the better.

Lock: The brain of the safe. If the lock is easily defeated, the barrier won't matter.

Construction: How is the safe assembled. If the welds are junk, the safe can fall apart under normal use. Screw and bolts can work themselves loose and cause a lock out. Parts can bend, break, and bind.

I will say that I've opened two of these safes this year, and have charged over $300 to open each one of them. The steel is OK, and is thicker than seen on many of the other safes. The construction quality is minimal and it is a cheap design. The locks are junk.

Many people who "save" money when buying a safe usually end up spending a lot more than they ever saved when they loose their contents or the safe won't let them in one day.

Sniper X
July 27, 2007, 04:01 PM
I bought a Harbor freight torque wrench...for $19.95 on sale from $39.95. I goes from (memory) about 10ftlbs, to about 200ftlbs. I have a Snap on torque wrench I bought about 20 years ago that I have checked by the Snap On man once a year, and when I do it consistantly runs about 5~6ftlbs out of spec. I showed the cheapo to the Snap On guy and he scoffed since I seem to remember paying about $350.00 for the Snap On one. He said he would be surprised if it was within 30ftlbs let alone anywhere near accurate. He thru it on his calibrated tq wrench checker, and it cam out to +1 ftlb at 110ftlbs! it was within 3~4ftlbs average! Better than the Snap On I payed 350 for, so needless to say, this is the tq qrench I loan out and use on everyting i need accurate torque on! I use the sanp on one now for wheel lug nuts and stuff that doesn't need accurate torque!

I may go buy a few more and have him check tham and sell em at the flea market with a check slip for like $150.00.:neener:

Sniper X
July 27, 2007, 04:06 PM
Oh, and on the gun safe deal. Has anyone of you who actually said the HF safe is junk tried to open one without a key, and limited tools? Shoot, I have a really good top of the line safe, and a second one like those at HF. I have a freidn who bought one like my light duty one, he lost the key, it took us both, my die grinder, and about an hour, a lot of dust, and noise/sparks to get that sucker open! Beleive me, most bad guys who braek into your house if they see a gun safe, are gonna go the other way right away, nobody in their right mind is going to take the time to break inot it not kowing what's in there. Plus, my big one is booby trapped, with badass tear gas, and a can of IR spray, if they do open it without tripping the secondary lock, they are HAD!

fgr39
July 27, 2007, 04:54 PM
I bought a tumbler there once. It shook itself to peices, seriously. There were parts on the garage floor and it made a hell of a racket.

a1abdj
July 27, 2007, 05:53 PM
Oh, and on the gun safe deal. Has anyone of you who actually said the HF safe is junk tried to open one without a key, and limited tools?

Yes, and I charged in excess of $300 for the 2 minutes it took me. 5 minutes if you count the time it took to carry the drill to and from the truck. :D

I know I'm not the average thief, in that I have some pretty in depth knowledge regarding where to drill, but I will also tell you that this safe can be opened with no tools in less than 10 seconds under the proper conditions.

A safe is only as strong as its weakest link...and this safe's weak link is very weak. It could be built out of 5 inch solid plate, but if you can defeat the lock in seconds, it's not secure.

If you enjoyed reading about "Deal Alert: Harbor Freight safe sale $250" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!