How do you pronounce molon labe?

PDA

winstonsmith
June 30, 2003, 11:32 PM
I always thought it was Moh-lohn Lah-bay. However, it just occured to me that it could be Moh-lohn Layb. Please advice.

Please try not to laugh that hard at me though.

:uhoh: :(

If you enjoyed reading about "How do you pronounce molon labe?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
wingnutx
June 30, 2003, 11:39 PM
ha ha, you don't speak ancient greek!

I think It's Mo-lohn Law-vay.

Somebody will probably correct me on this.

Zackmeister
June 30, 2003, 11:51 PM
heywingnutz, whats with your signature line? How does carrying a handguntake away your right to defend your honor?

winstonsmith
June 30, 2003, 11:53 PM
I think he means that you can't beat up common thugs if they piss you off cause you own a gun, and that's irresponsible behaviour. If you demostrate that behavior and your a gun owner you make gun owners look bad.

Malone LaVeigh
July 1, 2003, 12:08 AM
*ahem*

winstonsmith
July 1, 2003, 12:10 AM
Receiving you 5 by 5, Malone.

;)

only1asterisk
July 1, 2003, 05:37 AM
Does anyone know the proper Greek spelling?

RTFM
July 1, 2003, 08:45 AM
http://www.thefiringline.com/HCI/molon_labe.htm

Follow the link.

And wingnutx the link phonetically spells it, mo-lone lah-veh.
But I don't know my self. Just figured I'd jump in and be the one to prove your prediction right. HAHA

RTFM

Kelly J
August 27, 2010, 01:40 PM
Molon labe
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The words "MOLON LABE" (ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ) in Greek as they are inscribed on the marble of the modern era monument at Thermopylae.
The Greek phrase Molōn labe! (Μολὼν λαβέ; approximate Classical Greek pronunciation [molɔ̀ːn labé], Modern Greek [moˈlon laˈve]), meaning "Come and take them" is a classical expression of defiance reportedly by King Leonidas in response to the Persian army's demand that the Spartans surrender their weapons at the Battle of Thermopylae. It corresponds roughly to the modern equivalent English phrase "over my dead body", "bring it on" or, most closely, "come and get it". It is an exemplary use of a laconic phrase.

armoredman
August 27, 2010, 02:12 PM
Malone, I want to see somebody change their name legally to that!

luigi
August 27, 2010, 02:27 PM
Malone, I want to see somebody change their name legally to that!

G:Dt H:fire:T

Sam1911
August 27, 2010, 02:47 PM
Well over seven years old. Pronunciation hasn't changed that much since 2003.

If you enjoyed reading about "How do you pronounce molon labe?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!