Heavy bullets in .32 Magnum

PDA

Dithsoer
July 27, 2007, 04:20 AM
I've heard of people using heavy bullets in the .32 mag. for silhouette shooting but haven’t been able to locate any loading data on it. Anyone else try this or know of a source for data? The loading books usually stop at 100gr.

If you enjoyed reading about "Heavy bullets in .32 Magnum" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BSlacker
July 28, 2007, 11:47 AM
The web site Load Data has some up to 125 in both lead SP and FMJ. Look at the loads used in a Contender or long barrel revolver. Hope that helps. You will have to subscribe to see actual data. :)

Okiecruffler
July 28, 2007, 06:04 PM
Here's a couple to get you started.
http://www.msa-ihmsa.com/fp32hr.htm

Dithsoer
July 29, 2007, 11:20 PM
Thanks for the input. I've worked up a load from scratch using H-108 and a 165gr. .309 caliber 30-30 bullet. No pressure signs, 900+ f.p.s., reasonably accurate. I'm shooting it out of a Ruger SP-101. I have a Single Six as well, but the cylinder isn't long enough to take a loaded cartridge. The SP-101 has a four inch barrel and I was concerned about possible key-holing from unstabilized bullets (since they're quite a bit longer than standard .32 bullets) but haven't had any problems. I bet they'd be great out of the Marlin lever-action, as long as they fit the chamber.

Okiecruffler
July 29, 2007, 11:30 PM
I've been looking at simular loads in my Contender 32-20 barrel. Have some 180gr bullets but haven't gotten around to loading them yet.

Dithsoer
August 5, 2007, 02:31 AM
180gr? Wow! What diameter and type are they and where did you get them? Sounds like we're interested in close to the same thing. Do you have any loading data yet? What type of powder are you planning on using? Please excuse the barrage of questions, but you're the first person that I've found with a similiar interest; that of using much-heavier-than-normal bullets in the small-case .32's.

Okiecruffler
August 5, 2007, 11:14 AM
I should have mentioned, the Contender 32-20 is actually a 30-20 with a .308 bore. Makes bullet selection much easier. I'll probably start with the 2 powders I already use for 115gr cast bullets, Unique for mild and #9 for wild. No data yet, just gonna SWAG it. Not sure if I can stablize those heavy bullets, I figure probably not with the Unique, but I'll never know until I try.

If you enjoyed reading about "Heavy bullets in .32 Magnum" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!