Magtech or S&B for best budget ammo?

PDA

Shrinkmd
July 28, 2007, 11:18 AM
I am curious what people's experiences are with the Magtech and Sellier & Bellot ammo for general practice, plinking purposes. I would like to reload the brass someday (or send it out), and I've heard mixed reviews on the primer pockets of the S&B.

Assuming it functions well in your gun, which do people recomend?

If you enjoyed reading about "Magtech or S&B for best budget ammo?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
The Lone Haranguer
July 28, 2007, 11:55 AM
I can't speak to the reloadability issue, but my gun range/store/club uses MagTech by the bushel as its range ammo. Years ago I had some failure to fire problems with S&B in a normally reliable gun (hard primers), but more recent 9mm and .45 I've shot worked just fine. S&B (at the Cabela's where I usually buy it) is priced a little lower than MagTech. Currently 9mm is $7.99/50 and .45 is $12.99/50.

I think I would call this one a tie.

john1911
July 28, 2007, 12:31 PM
S&B is a little cheaper locally (.45acp) than Magtech. I usually shoot Blazer Brass in my .45 (I bought a couple cases worth when Wally World was selling it relatively cheap). I don't reload .45, but I do sell my fired brass.

I shoot Magtech in my .44mag. I've got several Magtech (CBC) cases that have been reloaded 3 times and are still going strong.

Chupacabra
July 28, 2007, 01:17 PM
Magtech is pretty good. I've never had any problems with it.

S&B is okay. I've seen hard primers in both 9mm and 40S&W, and their 45ACP doesn't function well in my 1911. YMMV.

I don't have any experience with reloading, but the brass for both brands should work just fine.

MechAg94
July 28, 2007, 04:29 PM
I have used S&B 9mm, 40S&W, 45ACP, .223, and 7.62X39 and never had any issues. S&B is bargain ammo I look for. I've also used a little magtech pistol ammo and haven't had problems.

P. Plainsman
July 28, 2007, 10:37 PM
For revolver ammo Magtech is noticeably better quality than S&B -- more accurate and consistent. (Shouldn't really be a surprise, since Magtech is Brazilian. South Americans build and like DA revolvers, while Europeans stick to semi-autos. The sixgun is a New World, wide open country kinda thing; the Euros think guns are just for cops and other state employees; they wouldn't understand. ;) )

But S&B pistol ammo is good in my experience -- mostly 9mm ball. Accurate and fairly priced. As long as your semi-auto's firing pin is stout enough to trip the hard S&B primers, you're good to go. My pistols are CZs, so they have no problem with it.

LeonCarr
July 28, 2007, 10:44 PM
IMO Magtech is better ammo than S&B, and the brass is better for reloading. I have had tight primer pocket issues reloading S&B brass.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

Shrinkmd
July 30, 2007, 12:12 PM
Also, has anyone ever used their premium self defense ammo? The all copper JHP looks interesting, but they appear much lighter than usual. I will see if anyone else has posted about this...

DogBonz
July 30, 2007, 12:18 PM
Magtech. I have not tried their 9mm. Although I have not had any problems with S&B, I perfer the Magtech. I think that it is cleaner and a bit more accurate.

raginrednek
July 30, 2007, 07:13 PM
i have shot both in 357, in a levergun, as well as handguns. both shoot well.
i carried sb softpoints last year in the model 92 repo. i have confidence in either.

obxned
July 30, 2007, 11:57 PM
I haven't found anything that is much cheaper (including shipping charges) than WWB at Wally World. WWB has worked well for me in .380, 9mm, and .45.

Anna's Dad
July 31, 2007, 08:15 PM
I use Blazer Brass or WWB.

goon
August 1, 2007, 01:07 AM
I've shot a lot of both without any problems from either. One thing I like about the S&B is that it has sealed primers and bullets so it would presumably keep a lot longer. But for blasting, either is great.

Black Adder LXX
August 2, 2007, 09:19 PM
I've recently purchased 1000 rounds of S&B 9x18 and have found it to be pretty crapy. I much prefer Magtech. I also bought it (the S&B) for the brass, so I'll let you know how it does...

If you enjoyed reading about "Magtech or S&B for best budget ammo?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!