Guns melted into rebar

PDA

BBQJOE
July 28, 2007, 07:00 PM
I saw a show on the (History channel?) The other night.
I did a search but didn't see any previous posts about this.

What a shame.

LOS ANGELES, June 22, 2006 - Thousands of guns confiscated in Los Angeles County were melted down at a Southland foundry Thursday to be recycled into rebar.

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=local&id=4298449

'These weapons are an example of the firepower that law enforcement personnel throughout the nation face on a daily basis,' Sheriff Lee Baca said as he held a Mac-11 semiautomatic pistol.

'All these weapons will be melted into construction steel to become freeways, parks, hospitals and schools,' he said.

More than 6,000 guns were scrapped -- because of their high nickel and chrome content -- at TAMCO Steel Inc. in Rancho Cucamonga.

Today's event was the 13th annual melt-down as part of 'Project Isaiah,' named for the bibilical passage about beating swords into plowshares.

If you enjoyed reading about "Guns melted into rebar" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Bazooka Joe71
July 28, 2007, 07:03 PM
:barf::fire::cuss::banghead::barf::fire::cuss::banghead::barf::fire::cuss::banghead::barf::fire::cuss::banghead:

PrimaryB
July 28, 2007, 07:14 PM
Saw that episode. I can't figure out why they don't sell them at auction or send them across state border and sell them. Rebar is cheap, guns as a whole would bring more $. Glad I don't live in Kali. 6000 guns is a drop in the bucket. I guess they figure their saving the world :uhoh:

PB

igpoobah
July 28, 2007, 07:16 PM
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those that didn't.

MaterDei
July 28, 2007, 07:29 PM
What a bunch of west-coast idiots.

mogunner
July 28, 2007, 07:37 PM
:cuss::cuss::cuss: is about the nicest thing that I can say. PRK, LA Sektor does it again.

never_retreat
July 28, 2007, 07:44 PM
Ya I bet it was 6000 kelteks and other junkers. The cops probably already picked out the good stuff. Still idiots scraping anything that has a resale value.:cuss:

ziadel
July 28, 2007, 07:45 PM
Theres another reason right there to love Montana. It's illegal for the authorities to destroy confiscated firearms here, they have to be auctioned.

:D

Kali Endgame
July 28, 2007, 08:11 PM
It's illegal for the authorities to destroy confiscated firearms here, they have to be auctioned.

Is this true? I'm looking for a new state in a few years after we sell our business.

win71
July 28, 2007, 08:44 PM
Before rebar it was man hole covers and before that, way back, they were dumped in the ocean. From a barge!!!!!!!!!

leadcounsel
July 28, 2007, 09:15 PM
It amazes me when guns are destroyed on the illusion that it makes a difference. If they sold them to FFL dealers at 25 % it would be a win win situation for the state, the FFLs, and customers needing inexpensive guns.

MD_Willington
July 28, 2007, 10:59 PM
So they took a bunch of crap guns or what, personally I want rebar from old railroad rails... pot metal rebar would be just great...

Hey I wonder if they'll need a tax stamp.. you know, BATFE once a machine gun always a machine gun... That'll be $200 tax on that I -beam Mr Construction man...

{/sarcasm

JLelli
July 28, 2007, 11:29 PM
You think that was bad, did you se the Boneyard episode about the Army "boneyard" in Anniston, AL? There, we saw a machine called "Captain Crunch", into which hundereds, if not thousands, of M-16 rifles and M-9 pistls are fed and destroyed yearly. Now, I know ATF regs disallow simply converting the M-16s to semi-auto only and selling to civilians (that whole "once a machine gun, always a machine gun" bull****), but why can't they take off the uppers and sell them through the CMP or something at discounted prices? Why can't they sell the M-9s on the civil market, like hundreds of police department do with their old service pistols? They'd certainly get more money selling them as guns as opposed to scrap metal. Is this some kind of Clinton-era regulation, or does the Army just not want to sell its surplus to civilians?

cracked butt
July 29, 2007, 09:28 AM
I saw the boneyard episode also....

The Aniston Depot also happens to be where all the goodness from CMP comes from. Unfortunately congress only allows them to sell a fairly short list of used military firearms.

ripcurlksm
July 29, 2007, 01:36 PM
6k guns melted down will produce enough to support one side of a one story wall.... nice PR for schools and highways.. riiight

Kimber1911_06238
July 29, 2007, 01:37 PM
high nickel and chrome content? I prefer a black finish on mine :)

Lichter
July 29, 2007, 02:20 PM
I was screaming at the tv...but the most part I didn't see anything to spectacular being distroyed. Some old shotguns and a scoped hunting rifle

Mauserguy
July 29, 2007, 02:30 PM
We're kind of nuts out here, and the state is running out taxpayers, replacing them with illegal aliens, that is true, but we have great weather.
Mauserguy

bg
July 29, 2007, 02:34 PM
I used to live not far from that place. When the cops would show up with all
the weapons they'd roadblock Etiwanda so no one could get through once
the trucks carrying the weapons got to Tamco. They make a big show of it.
It's Baca's and Bratton's way of showing they are trying to do something..

I once asked why they didn't throw the gang bangers they have in lock up
in with the weapons if they really wanted to show a drop in crime..I
almost got arrested...:rolleyes:

Kalashnikov
July 29, 2007, 03:08 PM
That gives me an idea; Lets melt down rebar for gun/ammunition materials. Turn about is fair play.

Harry Paget Flashman
July 29, 2007, 03:18 PM
Who'd want to pour a foundation in a house using rebar made from Rohm's, Raven's and Lorcin's? What building inspector is going to let that fly?

MaterDei
July 29, 2007, 03:39 PM
Ya I bet it was 6000 kelteks and other junkers.

Kel-Tecs are NOT junkers so take that back! :) Besides, 6000 Kel-Tecs melted down would only give you about 2 feet of rebar (and a big pile of melted plastic)

Harley Quinn
July 29, 2007, 03:49 PM
Very disgusting occurence in my way of thinking.

To hook it to the Biblical passage, is even more disgusting...:barf: When thinking about what the North did to the South, after the Civil War.

It will come to pass that maybe they are right believing California will be reabsorbed into Mexico's way of thinking. Take the guns away from them and enslave them, then we can all go to other states and the cycle will be complete:fire::cuss::evil:

HQ

kungfuhippie
July 29, 2007, 04:15 PM
wrong way! :fire::fire::fire:
Isaiah 2:4
And he shall judge among the nations, and shall rebuke many people: and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks: nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more.

This is a reference to after the second coming of Christ. That hasn't happened! And he shall judge among the nations, and shall rebuke many people "he" is Jesus (or the Messiah if you are Jewish)!!!! Not Baca!!!!

One word:
Eisegesis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eisegesis)

Richard.Howe
July 29, 2007, 05:47 PM
Well...there's two sides to every story depending on what's being called-for:

Joel 3:10
"Beat your plowshares into swords, and your pruning hooks into spears. Let the weak say,'I am strong.' "

Limeyfellow
July 29, 2007, 07:35 PM
What a bunch of west-coast idiots.

All federal organisations do this, as do the vast majority of state organisations.

The US military break up and melt down old M16s like its going out of fashion, not to mention the recent melting down of a large bunch of M14s and all those M1911s too. I guess they are just west coast idiots too.

Macpherson
July 30, 2007, 12:45 AM
The US military break up and melt down old M16s like its going out of fashion, not to mention the recent melting down of a large bunch of M14s and all those M1911s too. I guess they are just west coast idiots too.

For destroying perfectly good (or even serviceable) firearms, I would agree with that assessment, yes. Or at least the idiots in congress who think that all military weapons newer than Korea are dangerous and can't be sold to civvies...:banghead:

Hoppy590
July 30, 2007, 03:07 AM
melted 1911's make hoppy cry :(

coming from another Commie state. this is all too familiar

DomMega
July 30, 2007, 03:23 AM
Sheriff Baca likes melting down guns because he can't legally carry one himself. You know, with his two domestic violence charges against his wife and all. We have some real winners in California running things, its amazing.

zeroskillz
July 30, 2007, 12:20 PM
:barf:
All those guns going to waste makes me sick

TonyB
July 30, 2007, 12:25 PM
"this just in...in an ironic twist,14 people were beaten to death with rebar today....."
Guns don't kill people...rebar does.......;)

Gaucho Gringo
July 30, 2007, 10:53 PM
So how is Baca going to protect you when you call 911 if he can't carry a gun. Only in PRK do they elect unarmed police. I guess it makes sense if you live there.

Nomad101bc
July 30, 2007, 11:07 PM
That gives me an idea; Lets melt down rebar for gun/ammunition materials. Turn about is fair play.

Would you really want to fire recycled rebar through your rifled firearms?

Patriot-Brewer
July 31, 2007, 01:42 AM
I hope none of you go watch the Lakers play at the Staples Center because I believe that they did the same BS propaganda to help build it.:fire:

.cheese.
July 31, 2007, 01:45 AM
why does it always come down to a "Mac" this or a "Tec" that with the media?

Are those the only two words related to guns they know?

kungfuhippie
July 31, 2007, 02:45 AM
rebar=steel cased ammo or some nice handgun frames...
one can dream...

Nomad101bc
July 31, 2007, 02:58 AM
Sorry forgot about steel casings lol I just dont think of anything cept brass and aluminuim because i dont own any steel eaters. None of my firearms are eastern european lol.

kungfuhippie
July 31, 2007, 03:08 AM
Wolf gets a bad rep for steel casing, it not the casings, it's the QC (especially with the new finishes) Romanian 8mm surplus is steel cased and all my mausers love it. Even the not commie ones. It's not used is the us because it can't be reloaded and we will pay more for brass IMO.

crazed_ss
July 31, 2007, 03:35 AM
It amazes me when guns are destroyed on the illusion that it makes a difference. If they sold them to FFL dealers at 25 % it would be a win win situation for the state, the FFLs, and customers needing inexpensive guns.

The authorities would never do such a thing in California. They claim they only want to remove guns for prohibited persons, their true goal is to remove as many guns as possible from circulation. For them, every gun in circulation (whether owned legally or illegally) is a threat to their safety. As such, there's no one in a million years they'd sell the confiscated stuff.

sturmgewehr
July 31, 2007, 04:06 AM
I'll say it... screw **********. I love living in a free state. We might as well give ********** back to Mexico... it would likely have more freedom.

Gifted
July 31, 2007, 04:06 AM
How many of those M16s are still servicable? Not that I'm agreeing with melting them, but a shot out barrel, unless you rebore, is pretty much scrap anyway. Not sure how the lowers stand up.

I do agree that they scrap way too much, but it's mostly due to Klinton's EOs and Bush not repealing them.

Beagle-zebub
July 31, 2007, 04:17 AM
It makes sense to sell cars and other confiscated property that has been used in a crime, since the state has no use for it, and needs money--obviously, guns are an exception, because guns that are used in crimes have shown themselves to have criminal tendencies, as they have chosen to associate with felons.

Why guns bring out the Svankmajerian tendencies of some people, I'll never know.

lakerfan5858
July 31, 2007, 05:19 AM
noooooooooo why would they do that:what::fire::cuss::cuss::fire::fire::cuss::banghead::confused:

Harley Quinn
July 31, 2007, 11:19 AM
obviously, guns are an exception, because guns that are used in crimes have shown themselves to have criminal tendencies, as they have chosen to associate with felons.

Now that is funny.

If you enjoyed reading about "Guns melted into rebar" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!