Does anybody remember Maxwell Smart's gun?

PDA

Joe Demko
July 29, 2007, 12:39 PM
They were pushing the Get Smart Season 1 DVD's on the tube last night. The only gun I distinctly remember from that show is the old Enforcer .30 carbine with twin pistol grips. It turned up whenever they wanted somebody to have something big and mean looking. Max always carried some kind of .38 snubbie, but I can't remember whether it was a Colt or an S&W. Anybody got better recall than me?

If you enjoyed reading about "Does anybody remember Maxwell Smart's gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Blackbeard
July 29, 2007, 12:47 PM
All I remember is the Laser Blazer.

revjen45
July 29, 2007, 02:06 PM
All I remember is Barbara Feldon- what a beautiful lady.

JohnBT
July 29, 2007, 02:46 PM
I cheated to find pics. I seldom watched the show. :)

Found a pen gun, modified AR-7 and a big revolver so far. Even the action figure came with a gun.

www.ilovegetsmart.com/gsgun.html - AR-7 pics

www.ilovegetsmart.com/pictures.html - pen gun halfway down the right side

www.ilovegetsmart.com/gscards.html - revolver on a trading card or two

Created by Mel Brooks and Buck Henry, they had some interesting guests. The page with the pen gun photo shows Leonard Nimoy and Hugh Hefner.

John

CZ.22
July 29, 2007, 02:50 PM
S&W Bodyguard, I think.
The new Steve Carrel movvie looks like it will be funny.

Phaetos
July 29, 2007, 03:15 PM
The new Steve Carrel movvie looks like it will be funny.

OMG! Inspiration. Can anyone else see Carrel as Maxwell Smart in a remake? I can see it perfectly. :eek:

CZ.22
July 29, 2007, 07:15 PM
http://getsmartmovie.warnerbros.com/

usp9
July 29, 2007, 07:16 PM
Anybody got better recall than me?

Sorry about that. I mis-remembered by that much.:D

CNYCacher
July 29, 2007, 08:43 PM
OMG! Inspiration. Can anyone else see Carrel as Maxwell Smart in a remake? I can see it perfectly.

OMG! So can Warner Brothers! :neener::neener:

Titan6
July 29, 2007, 08:44 PM
I remember him getting a .357 magnum somewehere during the series. Rough quote:

Max- ''It fires deadly hollowpoint bullets that will put a hole in a man the size of a trash can lid''

Other guy- ''That must be latest in military hardware''

Max- ''Are you kidding?? The military is not allowed to use this. We got this at Montgomery Wards for $49.95.''

I watched the repeats. I am too young to have seen the original. I remember this cuz I asked my dad if I could get one when he arrived home.

MrTwigg
July 29, 2007, 08:55 PM
All I remember is Barbara Feldon- what a beautiful lady.
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p169/twiggman/Smilies/madgrin.gif

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p169/twiggman/weird%20stuff/barbpub.jpg

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p169/twiggman/weird%20stuff/10102666.jpg

4v50 Gary
July 29, 2007, 10:02 PM
I remember Agent 99 wielding a stereo revolver. In one episode, Smart checks to see if his gun is loaded. He does this by holding the gun above his head and opening the action - only to be showered by the bullets falling out of the cylinder onto his face.:D What a terrific show that was.

redbearde
July 29, 2007, 10:10 PM
I remember an episode where he was boxed in one three sides. After coming back from commercial, he brings out a revolver with 1 grip and 3 frames...one pointed straight out, and two pointed 90 degrees on either side.

GREAT usefulness, that one. One trigger pull and those 3 evil Kaos agents where swiftly taken down.

aw, memories.

lee n. field
July 29, 2007, 10:48 PM
We got this at Montgomery Wards for $49.95.''

Actually, I remember Monkey Wards selling handguns.

Notch
July 29, 2007, 11:52 PM
I ended up buying the entire 5 year set. I will always have fond memories of me and my Pop watching Get Smart. On the first disc they have included the the pilot for the show, the only one they did in black and white. In it Max is trying to save Prof. Dante... ( My last name...)

230RN
July 30, 2007, 03:14 AM
In those days a gun was just a gun, not a GUHNNN, so I don't remember what they were.

+1000 on Barbara Feldon. I loved her voice, too.

That show had the greatest "set bits" ever:

"Would you believe that even as we speak, a flotilla of the most powerful and heavily armed ships of the US Navy are steaming to rescue us."

"I find that hard to believe."

"Oh. Well, then, how about a canoe with two Boy Scouts?"

I also loved the successive "getting the drop on" bits and the Cone of Silence that never worked.

But I hated Karmann Ghias. Second ugliest car in the world.

230RN
July 30, 2007, 03:20 AM
Duplicate post. Dunno why.

LAK
July 30, 2007, 05:29 AM
In those days funny was reasonably clean - and shows like Get Smart were still funny. The change has been gradual and distinctly incremental.

----------------------------------------------

http://searchronpaul.com
http://ussliberty.org
http://ssunitedstates.org

prism
July 30, 2007, 05:41 AM
so whats the ugliest car?

Agent 99 was super. :)

I was watching a recent show where Don Adams was telling how his agent called him about doing the show. Don wasn't too interested until he asked, "Who wrote it?"

"Buck Henry and Mel Brooks."

Don replied, "I'll do it."

:)

SaxonPig
July 30, 2007, 12:05 PM
That show was well known for featuring cool guns. In addition to the Enforcer .30 Carbine pistol, a bad guy once used a very rare 3" Python. Max usually had either a Model 36 Chiefs Special or often he is seen using a Model 40 Centennial (hammerless).

I think the upcoming movie could be a hoot. Not sure about Anne Hathaway as Agent 99, though. She's one of those actresses who sometimes looks hot (like in Ella Enchanted, before she starved herself to look like a death camp survivor) and sometimes looks less than inspiring (I thought she looked awful in The Devil Wears Prada, post starvation and too thin and severe looking).

230RN
July 30, 2007, 12:12 PM
So what's the ugliest car?

My old Chevy.

In which I could store guns and nobody would touch it, on the theory that anyone who had such a beat-up car could never have anything of value in it.

I called it my stealth car.

I could probably have kept $100,000 in gold bullion on the front seat with the windows open and nobody would touch it.

Bought it for $201 as a temp vehicle while I looked for a "real" car. Ran sow good and looked sow ugly I kept it for eight more years. (Pun intended.)

(The $201 was 'cause a car which cost $200 or less in Colorado was considered a "salvage car" and you couldn't get a street registration for it.)

glockman19
July 30, 2007, 12:59 PM
One of my favorite oldies. I am a friend of Don Adam's Daughter Stacy. Steve Carrell will reprise the roll in a Feature Film. Good casting.

my favorite line:

"missed it by that much"..."would you believe that much"

Snake Eyes
July 30, 2007, 01:03 PM
Actually, I remember Monkey Wards selling handguns.

Was that before or after you dated Art's Grammaw? :what:

:neener:

30 cal slob
July 30, 2007, 01:03 PM
i always remembered a .38 snubbie.

for some reason, one bit of show trivia always stands out in my mind ...

the Chief's middle name.

:p

offthepaper
July 30, 2007, 01:52 PM
I'm still in love with 99. :evil:

Fatelvis
July 30, 2007, 02:11 PM
I dont know, but I think it can be considered a "smart weapon" LOL (I know, bad joke!)

MrPeter
July 30, 2007, 02:25 PM
Didn't he have a shoe gun?

no, wait... that was a shoe phone. Nevermind ;-)

I never could get over 99's haircut :-/

benEzra
July 30, 2007, 03:30 PM
My favorite gag was the Chief's self-propelled desk, and the car/desk chase that ensued when a KAOS agent stole the Chief's car. Not sure if that was from the series or the movie.

FWIW, a lot of people don't realize that Don Adams was a former Marine who fought in WW2 and was wounded at Guadalcanal. His character's incompetence was totally an act...

Cpl Nobbs
July 30, 2007, 07:48 PM
I must say as a big fan of the original I'm not looking forward to another hollywierd "remake" of a good show into a bad movie.

jerkface11
July 30, 2007, 08:10 PM
Steve Carrel is no replacement for Don Adams. But who is?

If you enjoyed reading about "Does anybody remember Maxwell Smart's gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!