Dump the semi-auto term?

PDA

Blackbeard
July 29, 2007, 11:50 AM
Maybe since the news media and politicians are trying to consuse people about the term "semi-automatic" we should go back to calling them "self-loading".

Ever heard of someone who went on a shooting spree with a self-loading weapon?

If you enjoyed reading about "Dump the semi-auto term?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ChickenHawk
July 29, 2007, 11:53 AM
LOL, I wish my magazines were self-loading, too!

Sorry, I'll stick with the semi-auto terminology.

Cheers,
ChickenHawk

Anteater1717
July 29, 2007, 11:55 AM
I like it.

Lonestar49
July 29, 2007, 11:57 AM
Quote: Maybe since the news media and politicians are trying to confuse people about the term "semi-automatic" we should go back to calling them "self-loading".

-------

I'm gonna have to agree on this name change and throw some "Political Correctness" back at those that have shoved some of its BS down the public's throats, all in the name of Lawsuits, votes, and my favorite, minority-rules..

LS

the pistolero
July 29, 2007, 12:00 PM
Or, instead of a handgun, it's a defensive sidearm. Or simply a sidearm, as in, "I bought a beautiful new .45-caliber sidearm today." :D

ChickenHawk
July 29, 2007, 12:03 PM
Or instead of "Sidearm" wouldn't it be more politically correct to call it your "Personal Defense Device."

I have my concealed PDD with me at all times!

Cheers,
ChickenHawk

the pistolero
July 29, 2007, 12:07 PM
Even better, Chickenhawk!

Outlaws
July 29, 2007, 12:09 PM
Guns already automatically shoot people, now they are going to load themselves too?

Zen21Tao
July 29, 2007, 12:17 PM
Actually, the media would just find a way to spin that new title to fit their purpose.

I can see the anti-gun headlines already: "the massacre was committed using the gun pusher's latest threat to law enforcement officers, a gun so advanced that it operates itself. This gun is a "self-loading" gun that does all the tricky mechanical work for the shooter thus making criminals with no prior gun knowledge just as dangerous as well trained police officers."

I also see our argument that "its the criminal not the gun that kills" much more difficult to make when the media and anti-gun groups can say that the gun "loads itself."

We have fought so long to educate people on the difference between semi-auto and automatic, that many people are finally starting to see through the anti-gun folks lies. Throwing out a new term basically puts us right back at square one and can make us look like we have something to hide.

doubleg
July 29, 2007, 12:20 PM
Guns already automatically shoot people, now they are going to load themselves too?

:D:D:D

GunTech
July 29, 2007, 12:21 PM
For military self loaders, I prefer the term 'service rifle'.

Tommygunn
July 29, 2007, 12:31 PM
Actually, the media would just find a way to spin that new title to fit their purpose.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. We'd best resolve ourselves to fight the fight rather than indulge in silly rhetorical slights of hand that really accomplish nothing.

Kimber1911_06238
July 29, 2007, 12:39 PM
yes, the media will change the name to fit their purpose. I can't count how many times I've heard on the news that someone was shot with an "automatic pistol". Apparently when you call a semi-auto an automatic pistol, it helps scare and outrage the population.

revjen45
July 29, 2007, 12:52 PM
"For military self loaders, I prefer the term 'service rifle'."
Any number of manually operated rifles are 'service rifles.' A rifle which has been employed by a military is a service rifle. My Krag carbine was an "assault rifle" at the Battle of San Juan Hill. I kinda like "homeland defence firearm." That can include a pump shotgun or indeed any gun suitable for defending The Republic against all enemies- foreign and domestic.
"Autoloader" is an accurate term, but it's too much to expect the ignorant hoplophobic buffoons of the lamestream media to comprehend or switch to in favor of the emotion-laden terms now in vogue.

Crunker1337
July 29, 2007, 12:59 PM
I like the idea of calling handguns/pistols sidearms.

Kentak
July 29, 2007, 01:06 PM
People who do not care to be informed will continue to be confused no matter what terms are used.

Fugehtaboudit

Outlaws
July 29, 2007, 01:16 PM
I can't count how many times I've heard on the news that someone was shot with an "automatic pistol".

That is a correct term.

"Fully automatic" is a pleonasm, but we use it because automatic referred to automatically ejecting the spent casing and chambering the next round. Self loading pistols might not have automatic firing, but they are "automatic". To call the media out on this specific grammar is the pot calling the kettle black. We each have our own agendas, but the varying terms are both correct.

BTW, its .45 ACP, not .45 SACP. ;)

Roc_Kor
July 29, 2007, 01:39 PM
People who do not care to be informed will continue to be confused no matter what terms are used.

Exactly. Couldn't have said it any better.

BBQJOE
July 29, 2007, 01:49 PM
Crap!!! Next thing you know, my guns will learn how to drive.

RonJon
July 29, 2007, 01:54 PM
Call it a "Self-recycling lead projector" :D

Ron

Jorg Nysgerrig
July 29, 2007, 01:58 PM

As a matter of fact, yes. Outside of the US, the term self-loading is used quite a bit. In fact, here's one from just a few days ago: http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,22122080-5001021,00.html

BBQJOE
July 29, 2007, 01:59 PM
Headlines: 45 caliber semi automatic loads itself, steals honda civic and goes on shooting spree!!

sterling180
July 29, 2007, 02:18 PM
Self-loading and semi-auto have both the same meaning and a similar sounding,too.The first one was the old-fashioned definition of an automatic weapon,hence the term self-loading.Semi-auto term,came in much later on.So at the end of the day,I think we should just stick with both terms.Whats the difference anyway?

Zen21Tao
July 29, 2007, 02:20 PM
Just remember, anti-gun media writers/reports get their info from places like the BC and VPC. Switching to the term "self-loading" would allow these groups the opportunity to run will an entire new campaign of fear mongering to try to get the public behind them so they can push for new gun-control measures.

As I said early, they likely use the term to claim that advancements in gun technology have made it so the average untrained criminal that has never handled a gun will be just as effective as a highly trained law enforcement officer. Based on this, they will call for new restrictions and more "sensible" gun laws they will say are needed to combat these new "self-operational" baby killing demon guns.

Harry Paget Flashman
July 29, 2007, 02:25 PM
And if anybody gives us grief about the term "Self Loading Gun" we can say: "Guns don't self-load themselves. People load them."

def4pos8
July 29, 2007, 08:05 PM
I prefer "self-loading". To me, a "semi-automatic" firearm is a malfunctioning machine gun. :evil:

rdaines
July 29, 2007, 09:33 PM
How about "reciprocating" firearm, since the slide goes back and forth.

Jubjub
July 29, 2007, 09:46 PM
"Magazine pistol." At least it'll confuse the idiots who call magazines clips.

Kevin108
July 29, 2007, 10:25 PM
Self-loading sounds like something the media would come up with since they already seem to think guns are self-aiming and self-firing.

Notch
July 29, 2007, 10:43 PM
I dont refer to my firearms as weapons as well. As I see it it is all in how you are using it at the time. One doesnt call a knife a weapon. They refer to it as their knife. If I am pointing my firearm at someone I am using it as a weapon, but if I am going to the range its a firearm. Just like a baseball bat, swinging it at a ball... Bat... Swinging it at someones head...Weapon. In my opinion it really "softens" the whole feeling when I am involved in a coversation with someone regarding FIREARMS.

illspirit
July 29, 2007, 11:25 PM
Add me in with everyone else who doesn't like the idea. If we start calling them self-loading, it's only a matter of time before some sloppy journalist says that some handguns have become self-aware. :p

How about we just drop the superfluous adjective, and just call them pistols instead? Generally speaking, the only common handguns that aren't semi-auto these days are revolvers and machine pistols. Most people tend to call a revolver a revolver, and machine pistols are rare enough to usually get referred to as submachine guns in the media anyway. As such, most people would probably equate the term pistol with semi-autos either way.

IA_farmboy
July 30, 2007, 03:14 AM
I prefer to use the term "auto-loading" in most cases. Semiautomatic, self-loading, auto-loading all imply to me one is talking about a magazine fed firearm as opposed to a revolver. I don't know if people generally refer to double acting revolvers as "semi-automatic" but I do not. Maybe that is just me.

This terminology gets very confusing and some of it is quite arbitrary. When is a "rifle" a "carbine"? Is it still a "shotgun" if it has a rifled barrel? At what length is a "handgun" no longer a "handgun"? I've seen some very long revolvers that are more of a novelty than an effective sidearm.

I'm going to tend to agree with many others here and say no matter what term is used someone is going to take offense. It might be my military training showing through but I don't like to use the word "gun" unless I'm talking about armament on a naval vessel. I tend to use the word "firearm" mostly. I also catch myself using the word "weapon" even though I know some people take offense to that and it is often too generic as a weapon can be many things. Again, my use of the word "weapon" is probably because of the short time I spent in the military.

Mr White
July 30, 2007, 03:30 AM
Does it really matter what we call them?

We could all start calling them 'fuzzy pink bunny sticks' tomorrow but if the media and antis decide that the term 'automatic implements of flaming death' will better promote the culture of fear they're trying to create, guess which term John and Jane Fencesitter are gonna start associating with guns.

22-rimfire
July 30, 2007, 07:59 AM
Self loading; the term is even more confusing than automatic and semi-automatic. What do you call a semi-automatic firearm that jams all the time? Self-jamming?

I've watched quite a few movies where the guns were obviously self-loaders.

Dr. Dickie
July 30, 2007, 08:27 AM
Ever heard of someone overboard in ocean waters that weren't "shark infested?"
Doesn't exist.
Doesn't matter what we call it, the media gets their terms from the same anti-gun playbook, and we are not asked to look over the definitions.
Ever heard a gunny call teflon bullets, "cop killer bullets?"
I have asked about a half dozen reporters who have used the term "cop killer bullets," to show me the statistics on the number of LEOs killed with teflon bullets.
So far not one has responded.

Deanimator
July 30, 2007, 08:38 AM
Torturing the English language isn't going to make anti-gunners stop wanting us to be helpless, unarmed serfs.

Did going from "Black" to "African-American" change any minds in the Klan?

CajunBass
July 30, 2007, 09:20 AM
Geee. Let's see. Anti-guners are ANTI-GUN. They don't care what they're called. They don't even KNOW what they're called. They'll call them anything they want to, and it doesn't make a hoot in Hades what we call them.

Stop trying to "get along" with them. Defeat them.

gezzer
July 30, 2007, 08:38 PM
CajunBass,l Best post in string!!! +1

Sonic
July 30, 2007, 11:20 PM
When it comes to antis I don't worry about what particular phrase I use for any firearm, because as many in this thread have already pointed out, no matter what word you use they will always continue with their irrational beliefs and rantings. However, with lay people (I am not talking about antis, but those who are at least neutral with regards to guns) I have stopped using terms like 'semi-automatic' or 'auto-loading', and only use the term machine gun for machine gun (I don't use 'automatic'), because so many of them (and even some gun owners) are sometimes confused as to what the terms mean.

Too many times I have been in or overheard firearms discussions among people where the term 'semi-automatic', 'auto-loading', or 'automatic' was used to describe a self-loading rifle, shotgun, or pistol, and one of the people believed it meant the firearm was a machine gun of some kind. When discussing firearms with acquaintances whose firearms knowledge limits I don't know, I only use terms like handgun, rifle, or shotgun, and then only get into the action type (i.e. bolt action, lever action, pump action, revolver, self loading, etc.) or other characteristics, if they start wanting to know more specifics, and then I make sure I am clear what the terms mean. Of course its different with people who I know have firearms knowledge (like those on this board), and with those people I know I can use all the usual terms without there being any confusion.

mlandman
July 30, 2007, 11:46 PM
Pistol:
http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson//upload/images/firearms/109004_thumb.jpg
Revolver:
http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson/upload/images/firearms/163062_thumb.jpg

ReadyontheRight
July 31, 2007, 12:45 AM
"Dump the semi-auto term".

No.

"Semi-Auto" is an excellent generic descriptor of the mechanical action of LEGAL firearms - as distinct from "fully automatic" - which our Lords have decreed are too dangerous for us Subjects to safely own.

We legally embrace and adhere to the distinction. Some of us even pay extremely high Federal Tax Fees to legally own fully automatic weapons.

I am not personally willing to make up some new term just to make some imaginary person happy.

If you enjoyed reading about "Dump the semi-auto term?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!