454 Casull and S&W500 mag

PDA

Roadrunner NV
July 29, 2007, 11:48 PM
Hello,

I would like to know which are the best brass to reload these calibers:
454 Casull and S&W500 mag

Thank you

If you enjoyed reading about "454 Casull and S&W500 mag" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jeepmor
July 30, 2007, 04:51 AM
Starline has a good reputation. Any brand should be adequate. No experience with those two cartridges. In cartridges as stompy as those two, I'd specifically stay away from nickel coated stuff for reloading. If I did reload any once fired nickel offerings, I would underload it for plinking duty.

Beyond that, I'd try a couple different manufacturers and probably gravitate to the heaviest cases since it should equate to the thickest brass. I'd take measurment notes too. Sorry, don't have any to share on those calibers.

dmftoy1
July 30, 2007, 07:23 AM
I haven't reloaded for the .454 (yet) but the starline brass and hornady brass I've seen looks pretty stout.

.500 S&W I've had no problems with either Hornady, Starline or Corbon. The only knock on the "old' hornady is that some of the early lots of cases has pistol primer pockets so you have to look for the "R" on the headstamp and separate accordingly. FWIW

Have a good one,
Dave

Grumulkin
July 30, 2007, 09:14 AM
There are more choices with the 454 Casull and just about any are fine.

Hornady premium brass is excellent. I've also been quite pleased with Starline brass.

Roadrunner NV
July 30, 2007, 10:10 AM
I think I will go with Hornady and Starline. I found this link last night http://www.levergun.com/articles/454_case.htm I think it gives an idea.

Thank you for your quick replies

Bad Flynch
July 30, 2007, 11:10 AM
Reloading this brass, and that means any brand, is a subject of some discussion. Most responsible reloading sources are against reloading these high intensity cartridges with more high intensity loads. That applies to the .500 GNR, the .500 Linebaugh, the .500 S&W, and the .454 Casull. These cartridges, when fully loaded to max specs, operate in the 60,000+ psi range and there has been some tendency for the cases to develop hairline cracks in the web area. If a case head let loose, then the results would be disastrous.

If you reload the brass, therefore, it would be prudent to use the fired cases for low powered practice loads. Given that this applies, any brand would be suitable for reloading reduced practice loads.

FLORIDA KEVIN
July 30, 2007, 11:39 AM
I s the standard crimp from the Lee sufficient to keep the bullets in place with the 454 ?

Roadrunner NV
July 30, 2007, 03:03 PM
Bad Flynch, I never ever fully reload at the maximun. I am planning to reload at the start specification manual, check with my chrono the speed and start from there. Loading these kind of ammo need more attention then smaller calibers.

I am not a new user in reloading, but new in big cartridges like that. So the loads will be light.

dmftoy1
July 31, 2007, 06:41 AM
I'd be willing to bet that if you loaded a few even close to maximum you probably wouldn't do it again. :) I found with the .500 I like to use factory ammo for hunting, and my reloads are generally much slower. I can handle recoil pretty well but you get a 440 grain load up near where Corbon has been loading them and I find my hand going numb after 10-15 rounds. (I also start to develop a flinch and find myself talking to myself. :) )

Have a good one,
Dave

Roadrunner NV
July 31, 2007, 07:30 AM
Dmftoy1 10-15 rounds :-)

To be honest I did not shoot yet my 500 S&W mag nor my FA in 454 Casull.

I shoot a lot with 45ACP and tried long time ago the 357 and 44 mag. What I am trying to do is making a light load for each big cal to see how it goes.

I will be happy if I can shoot a few rounds of each lol I saw my father in law shoot a Ruger 454 Casull, it was impressive.

50 Shooter
July 31, 2007, 11:20 AM
I have used Win, CBC/Magtech, Starline and FA brass for reloading in my .454 and they've all worked fine. Out of them all I've only had one case split when firing and it was a Win case.

Seeing a fireball come out of the cylinder... :what: PRICELESS!

dmftoy1
July 31, 2007, 09:25 PM
For the .500 I've had really good luck with Titegroup (approx 16 grains) under an approximately 335 grain bullet for a "shooter". You still know you've got ahold of something special and it makes the steel targets dance but you can shoot 50 in a setting without having any major pain or facial ticks. :) I'm gonna play with trail boss next as I think it'll be about perfect under a 440 grain cast boolit.

The .454 I haven't played with enough yet. I think in the full power category it's more vicious than the .500 . .at least in my 2 inch Redhawk Alaskan! :)

Have a good one,
Dave

Roadrunner NV
August 2, 2007, 12:34 PM
Dmftoy1 thanks for sharing your experience,that will help me :-)

I hear the same thing about the 454 Casull. It is a hard dry hitter compared to the S&W 500 Mag, perhaps the difference come from the S&W compensator.

Roadrunner NV
August 3, 2007, 10:57 PM
Hello, I have a question regarding the 454 Casull bullet.

I am wondering what is the difference between the Hornady .452 45 CAL 240 GR XTP/MAG and the Hornady .452 45 CAL 250 GR HP/XTP. On the Hornady data book they use the 240 GR XTP/MAG, I don't know why they dont use the 250 GR.

Can I use the .452 45 CAL 250 GR HP/XTP?

Thank you

NavyLCDR
August 4, 2007, 10:52 PM
Roadrunner,

Yes you can use the 250 HP/XTP's in 454 Casull. I use a lot of them in full power .460 S&W loads and they are just fine for target shooting. Hornady does not recommend them for .454 Casull or .460 S&W because the tend to fragment on impact rather than expand, but for plinking or target practice it is no problem. The 240 gr and 300 gr HP/XTPs are magnum rated - if you look you will see the copper cladding wraps around the nose and into the hollow point, whereas on the 250 gr bullets, the jacket stops much shallower.

Just take the data for the 300 gr and 240 gr bullets and split the difference, leaning towards the 240 gr data to use the 250 gr bullets. I have called Hornady and these are the answers I received on the phone from them. Give Hornady a call on their 800 number, they have a very amusing menu system even if you don't talk to a technician.

Roadrunner NV
August 4, 2007, 11:40 PM
Thank you NavyLT, your help is much appreciated.

I use the 250 gr on my Marlin 94 - 45 Colt, I reloaded with the 255 gr before, but it was a lot of cleaning, I found the 250 gr bullet more accurate. I would like to use some of them for the 454 so I can save a little bit money and invest in a RCBS 454 carbide set dies.

If you enjoyed reading about "454 Casull and S&W500 mag" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!