who was GUNKID?

PDA

Malone LaVeigh
July 23, 2007, 03:45 PM
http://fredthompsonforum.com/showthread.php?t=330

That site is too funny.

remove handguards, AR's "flatter" than 30-30
ever THOUGHT of being. a wrap of parachute cord will suffice to keep your hand "unburned" (thru the kind of firing a lever action could handle, anyway). `Some guys are just dumb, that's all. 30-30 rd is sure wasted on snakes, jacks, even a badger or coyote, really. Slip in the .22 unit for plunking such, or mud turtles or plinking, and the AR is a LOT better for getting rid of feral dog packs, or for a fight, than any lever action ever was. Where you get luminous sights for a 30-30, hmm? you THINK there's never a need to fire in the dark? That's stupid. No, a light does NOT show you your iron sights worth a hoot, not for fast work, on movers. The luminous inserts are STILL a big help, even with a light.

If you enjoyed reading about "who was GUNKID?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
El Tejon
July 23, 2007, 03:48 PM
Who's shooting badgers?:fire:

SomeKid
July 23, 2007, 03:48 PM
That entire forum is some kind of joke, right?

Black Adder LXX
July 23, 2007, 03:53 PM
I'd like to think the whole thing is a joke...

I hope the whole site is a joke...

hexidismal
July 23, 2007, 04:26 PM
I think the post and the poster is just a joke. The content sounds about right, but didn't gunkid get sentenced to 20 years or something only last year ?

pdowg881
July 23, 2007, 04:36 PM
I've heard a lot of this gunkid stuff. Anybody care to gove a summary? This guy got sentenced for what?

Big Calhoun
July 23, 2007, 04:42 PM
A quick search turned up this: http://survival.com/IVB/lofiversion/index.php?t5834.html

Interesting reading so far, still making my way through it all.

fletcher
July 23, 2007, 04:44 PM
At first I thought this was meant as a reference to a gun moron, but it's actually him.

No way I would wrap cord around the barrel and fire away. Melty-melty.

hnk45acp
July 23, 2007, 04:52 PM
14) Planning ahead is a waste of time because if the balloon ever goes up he will survive by cannibalism;

...wow...:uhoh:

Justin
July 23, 2007, 05:00 PM
G*nk*d was the troll's troll. He was booted off of THR and a dozen other forums literally hundreds of times.

LawDog did a pretty good job of summing up his trollness here. (http://thelawdogfiles.blogspot.com/2006/07/target-is-dismounted-troll-in-open.html)

Noxx
July 23, 2007, 05:00 PM
One wonderful thing about the internet, the free amusement to be had from the loonies has no end.

erik the bold
July 23, 2007, 05:14 PM
I would assume the whole thing must be a joke. Domain was purchased thru Go-Daddy, thru Domain by Proxy.Com.............. (to hide the offender's whereabouts, don't ya know...)

Crimper-D
July 23, 2007, 05:28 PM
Hopefully the slammer he's in won't allow internet access.:neener:

The imbicille's posting style, regardless of the name he chose to hide behind, was so obnoxiously distinctive that moderators would ban him in minuets of his first post... He'd keep popping up til he ran out of aliases:fire:
One SICK puppy. :barf:

ConfuseUs
July 23, 2007, 06:50 PM
Federal penitentiaries let inmates access the Internet?

Admin, can you trace gunkids IP address and tell me his location?

Eastern Arkansas, Forest City Federal Correctional Institution, Low Risk Section.

I guess locking Gunkid up hasn't kept Internet society safe from him at all.

bogie
July 23, 2007, 06:52 PM
Maybe someone oughta tell 'em?

pacodelahoya
July 23, 2007, 08:03 PM
Not trying to hijack the thread, But I post on that forum.

If you don't support Fred Thompson, you are a terrorist.:neener:

Yes, it is just a spoof.

HiroProX
July 23, 2007, 08:35 PM
Jeebus H. Krishna! That git is still around?

brentn
July 23, 2007, 08:54 PM
What a ****ing moron, one of those guys that loves to hear himself talk, feeds off of his own bull**** like as if it was a pearl of wisdom...

Just reading what he posted didn't make sense at all, and reading that link about him made me want to vomit.
It's hard to believe that people can actually be like this... He's a pretty big believe of the **** hitting the fan as well, and if it ever did, I bet he would be one of the first killed.

JohnBT
July 23, 2007, 11:19 PM
And yet, if you weren't there when he was in his prime, it's difficult to truly understand the scope of his reputation. Imagine what he must have done to inspire this work of fiction...pages and pages of it, all dedicated to gunkid/hardin/tobe/etc.

http://assaultweb.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=001132

Then there's this old post:

This was one of his better ideas, along with the wheelbarrow, zinc bullets in a .357 Sig pocket pistol. :)

www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91103&highlight=gunkid

"2200 fps,, 60 gr ZINC swc in 357 Sig, penetrates MORE flesh, car metal, or wood than a 9mm ball rd can, so if the prefrag's penetration depth is a worry for you, then load every other rd with the swc. Then at least HALF of your rds will be good stoppers. You can also use the lathe to make the swc into a shallow 'cup point" to reduce the likelihood of the swc's glancing off of the sloping forehead and thick bone of a large animal. Lug around a 40 oz, 9" 357 revolver as you backpack and you soon wont think so highly of it. I prefer to have the gun either in the leg pocket, with a thin plastic holster to preclude chafing, or in a fanny pack at the navel, top open to access the gun swiftly. A pack harness precludes the CONCEALED wear (and swift access to) nearly all types of holsters. You can easily go jogging with a 20 oz (loaded) 357 sig pocket auto, tho."

JohnBT
July 23, 2007, 11:34 PM
There's a 2-page thread with a picture of him on page one, a post from his wife about him stealing a bunch of stuff from her - her guns, ammo, $20k, and $10k in gold and 18-months worth of frozen food.

There's also a copy of his response and it's not pretty. If fact, I might get banned for posting a link to his picture. I hope not.

Not for the overly sensitive, but history isn't always pretty.

www.hardcoretalk.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=38;t=009481;p=2

John

Sistema1927
July 23, 2007, 11:41 PM
Any mention of a wheelbarrow?

Tom Servo
July 23, 2007, 11:47 PM
This was one of his better ideas, along with the wheelbarrow, zinc bullets in a .357 Sig pocket pistol.
...even though he couldn't hit anything unless he was shooting a suppressed .22. :rolleyes:

I remember this guy. Sort of the hyperactive, mentally-deficient half-brother to Gecko45. I remember that his survival plan for "when the balloon goes up" included cannibalism.

Ah, the good old days...

pdowg881
July 23, 2007, 11:51 PM
Explain when the balloon goes up? I get that it's shtf. But where does the phrase originate?

twenty711
July 23, 2007, 11:52 PM
globalthermonuclearwar

mp510
July 24, 2007, 12:00 AM
It seems as though he still hasn't shut up about his assault wheelbarrows

joab
July 24, 2007, 12:00 AM
Military jargon for impending doom

Supposedly comes from the WWI practice of sending up observation balloons just before an artillery barrage

The saddest part of all this is that Gunkid was once a respected competitor, although from what I understand Cooper couldn't stand him

That site is obviously a simplistic poke at Thompson and Republicans in general with a very good but still recognizably fake Gunkid

Neo-Luddite
July 24, 2007, 12:25 AM
I have to, but hate to mention again, that ever since reading Cormac McCarthy's "The Road", I've given thought to the tactical TEOTWAWKI shopping cart for on-road use. Every garage needs one in the corner (lawfully obtained).

I missed the rants by this fellow--but I've heard mention of the crazy tactical wheelbarrow. Shopping cart, a solid one, would be much easier for evacuation use.

JWarren
July 24, 2007, 12:47 AM
Eastern Arkansas, Forest City Federal Correctional Institution, Low Risk Section.

You KNOW its gotta just burn him up that the authorities only consider him a Low Risk.

Hehe.

-- John

txgho1911
July 24, 2007, 08:39 AM
Name Register
Number Age Race Sex Release Date
Actual / Projected Location
1. JOHN MELVIN DAVIS 84034-012 56 White M 10-26-2010 FORREST CITY FCI

http://www.bop.gov/iloc2/InmateFinderServlet?Transaction=NameSearch&needingMoreList=false&LastName=DAVIS&Middle=MELVIN&FirstName=JOHN&Race=W&Sex=M&Age=&x=338&y=296

I wonder if Martha Stewart was search able in that lookup.

DeltaGunner
July 24, 2007, 09:02 AM
That's the sound of my palm hitting myself in the forehead for actually reading this post and clicking the links........ LOL:confused:

doubleg
July 24, 2007, 10:47 AM
Ughhh, why does a 50 year old use gunkid as a screen name?

CZ.22
July 30, 2007, 04:17 PM
Okay, who was Gunkid? I hear a lot of allusions to him and know him to be the quintessential mall ninja type but who is he? Are his posts, links archived?

The Deer Hunter
July 30, 2007, 04:21 PM
I'm thinking he was maybe like Gecko45?

Zundfolge
July 30, 2007, 04:22 PM
http://xavierthoughts.blogspot.com/2006/07/goodbye-gunkid.html

Gunkid was a mentally ill criminal ... he made Mall Ninja's look downright cuddly.

RNB65
July 30, 2007, 04:25 PM
He was a regular ol' wheelbarrow full of laughs. He was.

:D

chiliPEQUIN
July 30, 2007, 04:40 PM
WOW!
I've known of Gunkid for sometime.
The first time I came across him was back when Hardcore talk had yet to ban anyone.
I think Gunkid was the first.

I always ignored him, but I do remember reading his rants once in a while.

AJ Dual
July 30, 2007, 04:45 PM
I'm thinking he was maybe like Gecko45?

Gecko45 was a purposely tongue-in-cheek gun culture satirist who created the whole "Mall Ninja" meme with a series of increasingly bizarre and laugh out loud postings on Glock Talk.

Gecko45 started out talking about being Mall Security, and slowly let on how he was also on the mall's "rapid response team". And went on to discuss things like extra duct-taped SAPI plates to his body-armor to get rifle-rated protection, and how during an "incident" would serve as human cover and "take the rounds" while his partner would assemble a broken down NEF single shot Handi-Rifle in .300 Win Mag to eliminate the threat etc.

Pure comedy gold. :D

And had absolutely nothing to do with Gunkid, who was serious about his lunacy, constantly harping on suppressed .22's for survival, "going cannibal", using de-barked Chiuaua's as alert dogs, and just killing/raiding prepared people when SHTF. He was also big on how he was going to float down the Mississippi River on a Tom Sawyer raft, and hire on with one of the local Mad Max'esque "Warlords" as a hit man/enforcer to make a living in the post-apocalyptic America.

The Deer Hunter
July 30, 2007, 04:46 PM
So what was the "assault wheelbarrow"?

Vic303
July 30, 2007, 04:47 PM
Just google up 'gunkid' and read all the info you want. Last known to be doing time in OK.

Trebor
July 30, 2007, 04:49 PM
Be careful. If you say his name three times he'll appear.

He actually did briefly reappear on one of my boards very recently. I can't remember if it was here, over at GT, or somewhere else. He evidently got internet access at the prison library.

SoCalShooter
July 30, 2007, 04:51 PM
So what was the "assault wheelbarrow"?

We do not speak of the "assault wheelbarrow".

Justin
July 30, 2007, 04:57 PM
G*nk*d was the biggest loser on the whole internet.

chiliPEQUIN
July 30, 2007, 05:00 PM
I remember him talking about the wheelbarrow, but it was a long time ago. I think he mentioned how he would use it as his shtf carry all.
Keep his supplies and such in the wheelbarrow, the thousands of rounds of .22 and such.
No other caliber was needed. .22 Could take down a person, a black bear, whatever.

indie
July 30, 2007, 05:45 PM
lmao @ this..

zeroskillz
July 30, 2007, 05:49 PM
I remember reading one of his mall stories--some of the best forum reading to date
:D

gecko that is

JohnBT
July 30, 2007, 06:29 PM
This thread contains a reproduction of an article that he reportedly wrote. It reads like him anyway. Everytime I hear his name I think of the old shooters board. John

http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=716830

"1992 Gunkid Article in RFR (survival mag) lots of pics
As requested, here is my best effort to reproduce the article John Melvin Davis wrote under the handle "JMD" for the Region Five Report in 1992."

MIL-DOT
July 30, 2007, 07:19 PM
LMAO too !! i've never even heard of these guys.....and now i think i miss 'em !!

mustanger98
July 30, 2007, 07:33 PM
I went a few rounds with Gunkid (under other aliases) on here. I know others who went a few rounds with him on other boards. Trust me, MIL-DOT, you ain't missed a thang.:scrutiny:

Cosmoline
July 30, 2007, 07:33 PM
You lot will be the first against the wall when his revolution comes!

bobaloo
July 30, 2007, 08:27 PM
"Any plan that involves taking several rounds of .308 to the back..."

jcoiii
July 30, 2007, 08:29 PM
As I recall, gunkid was certifiable, really. Gecko... funny guy. I wish I knew for sure if that was some guy putting everyone on or not. Either way, I still get tears from reading Gecko's stuff, laughing.

Ian
July 30, 2007, 09:08 PM
If you talk to gun forum mods (not just here, but everywhere on the net), you will find that for every time GK had a thread going with a bunch of replies, several of his usernames and threads were found and whacked before anyone else saw him. He'd hammer at one board for a while, and eventually give up and go elsewhere for a few weeks or months, and then come back for another go-around.

Double Naught Spy
July 30, 2007, 09:45 PM
Who was Gunkid? John Melvin Davis.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=209009&highlight=gunkid+arrest

wooderson
July 30, 2007, 09:48 PM
I wandered in too late to see Gecko45's tales, but I was here for the finest of all mall ninja satirists,
http://blog.myspace.com/everymanafreeman

Dorryn
July 30, 2007, 10:07 PM
I dont care what anyone says, the tactical wheelbarrow is genius. :D

(Just kidding)

Zen21Tao
July 30, 2007, 10:32 PM
Info on Gunkids big arrest:

http://www.texasminutemen.org/forum/archive/index.php?t-9549.html

It has been confirmed, this is the real GunKid, the man most of us love to hate.
http://newsok.com/article/1881634

A convicted felon suspected of stashing stolen weapons and almost 11,000 bullets in a Norman storage locker is being held in the Oklahoma County jail on a federal complaint, officials said.

John Melvin Davis, 53, was arrested June 19 outside a trailer home at 12101 Village Dr. in Noble.

He is being held without bail and faces a complaint of possession of ammunition after a prior felony conviction. According to a federal detention order, Davis has past convictions on eight federal offenses and received five separate sentences totaling more than 20 years in prison.

Bob Troester, a spokesman for the U.S. attorney’s office in Oklahoma City, said Davis is likely to face more than the ammunition complaint. He said his office will seek an indictment within 30 days.

According to a search warrant return filed Wednesday in Cleveland County District Court:

June 16, Davis’ estranged wife told the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms that Davis had broken into her Colorado storage unit and stolen “several assault rifles, hand guns, some gold, silver and other ... items.” She said Davis, who has at least eight aliases, stored most of the loot in Norman.

An Oklahoma woman told agents that she let Davis stay with her until he found the Noble trailer home and a storage unit at Summit Storage, 2100 24th Ave. SE, in Norman. She said Davis made “numerous comments” about not going back to prison, claiming he would “disrupt the economy by poisoning the water supply and knocking out the communication system.”

The woman also said Davis, who has lived in Oklahoma for only a few months, had begun having packages shipped to her address, including a box of incomplete firearms frames that he planned to sell with directions on how to convert them into functioning weapons.

June 19, agents searched Davis’ trailer home. Davis was detained after entering a van, and a .22 caliber pistol and several rounds of ammunition were recovered from a canvas bag he’d been carrying.

Agents later searched the Norman storage unit and seized a 9 millimeter pistol, a .22 caliber pistol, a .45 caliber pistol, a .223 caliber rifle, a Colt pistol, possible silencers, gun parts and more than 10,900 bullets of various calibers. Neighbor Tim “Tiny” Walters watched June 19 as federal agents swarmed Davis’ trailer home, one of about 30 in a rural park just north of Maguire Road on 120th Avenue NE..

“I counted five unmarked cars pull up before it was over,” Walters said. “They dragged him (Davis) out and arrested him.”

Agents searched the trailer home “from top to bottom for two days,” Walters said.

Ron Berry, the park’s assistant manager, said Davis moved in a few months ago.

“He was quiet and kept to himself,” Berry said. “He always waved when I walked by, but never said much.”

Good summation of who Gunkid was:

http://thelawdogfiles.blogspot.com/2006/07/target-is-dismounted-troll-in-open.html

"Target is dismounted troll in the open. Will adjust."

Splash, OUT!

06/19/2006 was a truly Red Letter Day among the Internet Gun Forums.

The Internet troll known as Gunkid a/k/a/ Hardin a/k/a Jamboree a/k/a Swetn a/k/a Lawrenceof Reason a/k/a Brule a/k/a ... you get the picture, got nicked by Oklahoma deputies and the Federal Bureau of Investigation for multiple State and Federal violations.

For those Gentle Readers who are not familiar with the metaphorical whiff of methane and hydrogen sulfide that was the cyberspace presence of Gunkid, allow me to shed some light on why there are Internet Gun Board Staff People dancing in the streets right now:

Gunkid was an idiot.

In actuality, he was more than that: he was a compulsive liar, a thief, a convicted felon, a Walter Mitty wannabe and a dedicated pain-in-the-arse.

His dream was for the World To End As We Know It -- preferably in a nuclear holocaust -- so that he could float down the Mississippi river on a raft and sell his services as an assassin to the warlords that he was sure would pop-up like fungi.

He opined at great length about blowing up Federal buildings, office buildings and any building belonging to anyone he didn't like.

When asked about the possibility of the Feds not much taking to people spouting off about blowing up their buildings, Gunkid would reply that if he got any whiff of a Fed, he was going to cause civil disorder by poisoning the local water supply and escaping in the panic. If that didn't work, of course he was not going to be taken alive, hail of bullets, dead agents in the street, napalm, explosions, terror, special CNN music, yack, yack, yack.

He was fond of a ten-inch barrelled upper receiver chambered for .22LR on his AR-15 with a attached silencer, and claimed it was the be-all, end-all survival weapon and was good to 300 meters. He vociferously defended this combination to anyone who would ask, especially tyros to the world of guns.

He would always neglect to mention that a 10-inch barrel on a rifle without the proper -- extra -- paperwork violates several Federal and State laws. As does the attached silencer sans proper paperwork.

He was also an obnoxious believer in the famed Assault Wheelbarrow. When the Balloon Went Up, Gunkid advised anyone who would listen not to bother with backpacks or such-like. No, the only useful carrying mode would be a light-weight wheelbarrow.

He frequently claimed to be a top IPSC shooter, and his name has been found on an IPSC list or two, but never anywhere near the top.

His encyclopedic knowledge extended to the world of attack- and guard-dog training, and he was a vociferous fan of the de-barked Chiahuahua for guard dog work.

Don't get me started on that one.

All of this -- and more -- does not garner Gunkid such an exalted place on the Internet List Of Those Who Should Go Play In Traffic. There are thousands of other people exactly like this on gun-boards right now.

No, what got GunKid his special place in our hearts was the fact that:

a) The schmuck could not take a bloody hint. Not even the gentle, "Don't do that **** anymore" caused him to pause and reflect upon his behaviour.

b) The numpty was prolific. We can deal with bushwa, but when the bushwa is coming at the rate of 20 posts per minute for two hours, keeping up becomes a full-time job.

c) The bonehead was sodding incapable of having a reasoned discourse. By Goddess, if you disagreed with him, then **** you, you ****ing ****** son of a ***** and your *****ing dog, too, ******! Now, see bullet 'b' above.

He apparently believed that what he was dishing out was handed down to him from the Temple Mount, that we should be grateful for receiving these crumbs of Truth, and that anyone who disagreed with The Truth was a Sinner, who should be verbally chastized before being cast out of his Presence.

d) The critter was the anthropomorphic version of cat whizz. To explain, if you've ever had a cat mark his territory inside your house, you know it's jolly well impossible to get the smell out. You bust your butt, and you think the nasty funk is finally gone, but something happens and 'BAM' -- your house stinks of cat whizz again. No matter what you do, no matter what you try, the stench always comes back.

He was exactly like that. He'd show up on a forum, stink up the place, he'd get banned and next thing you knew, he was reeking up the place again under a new name.

He got kicked off of TFL and THR hundreds -- if not thousands -- of times, and never, ever got the damned hint. I will guarantee that other firearms forums thumped him a similar number of times.

For further enlightenment, enter 'gunkid' in the search engine of your choice.

I'm seriously considering sending a case of micro-brew up to that department out of sheer gratitude.

LawDog

mustanger98
July 30, 2007, 10:41 PM
And like somebody said recently, it's just gotta burn him up knowing the authorities only consider him a low risk inmate.

Samuraigg
July 30, 2007, 11:06 PM
:D:D

Assault Wheelbarrow! That's priceless.

JWarren
July 30, 2007, 11:51 PM
This link was posted on another thread here on THR. It is a fiction based upon the life and writings of GK.

I swear it is one of the funniest pieces I've ever read. Have fun guys!

http://assaultweb.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=001132

-- John

4v50 Gary
July 30, 2007, 11:53 PM
I still don't have my assault wheelbarrow. :(

JWarren
July 30, 2007, 11:56 PM
I still don't have my assault wheelbarrow.

Then you are sunk "When the balloon goes up," Gary. :)

-- John

mustanger98
July 30, 2007, 11:57 PM
Just stay away from the canned .22 uppers and you'll get over it in about two weeks.

frank23185
July 31, 2007, 11:14 AM
He is legend
:uhoh:

Justin
July 31, 2007, 12:05 PM
Certainly in his own mind...

Joe Demko
July 31, 2007, 12:32 PM
I used to exchange emails with John/Gunkid sporadically. His emails were entirely unlike his on-line posts. He mainly seemed interested in things like non-hybridized seeds and medicinal herbs. He did send me a free .pdf file of a book about silencers he was in the process of getting published. I've read some of it, but I don't know anything about designing suppressors, so I can't comment on the worth of his designs.
As for the assault wheelbarrow, that took place at Hard Core Talk in one of its early incarnations. The thread, alas, seems to have been lost in one of their many crashes. Basically, you had John and a bunch of riot-nerds (who were only microscopically more knowledgeable or honest than John) railing at each other over bugging out v. bugging in. One of the riot-nerds was explaining how from his impregnable stone house, high atop a hill with no cover or concealment for attackers for hundreds of yards surrounding [Note: all riot-nerds claim to live in a house like this, but in my whole life I can't say for sure I ever saw one like it] he would rain death upon the attacking SHM's with his Wrath o' God® M1A. There was a brief flurry of point-counterpoint involving things like
I'll come when it's dark!
Nuh-uh!!!! I have night vision goggles!
Batteries don't last for ever!
Mine are solar powered!!!!
At this point John stated that with scrap metal and a wheelbarrow, or other stuff commonly found around farms, he could weld up a mobile piece of cover that would allow him to approach the house even under fire. Thus, the assault wheelbarrow was born. Pretty much everything else you hear about the assault wheelbarrow is stuff other people have attributed to John but that he never actually claimed.
As he originally proposed it, it isn't even that absurd. During medieval times, things not too different were used during siege warfare to approach a fortress under fire from archers. Also, lest we get too cocky, the idea of moving thousands of tons of supplies through the jungle by fastening them to bicycles sounds absurd too.
Since I'm not a board moderator or administrator, John was never the PIA for me that he was for so many of them. He has some goofy ideas, but IME the people who fought the loudest and longest with him tended to only be defending their own personal goofy ideas. Frankly, I quite often found it amusing to watch John and a squawling pack of riot-nerds ninny-slap each other for 10 pages over whether or not you could dig a cat-hole with a skatchet.

scout26
July 31, 2007, 12:36 PM
Assualt Wheelbarrow:

PILMAN
July 31, 2007, 12:58 PM
Interesting post, thanks for informing us of this scum.

sterling180
July 31, 2007, 01:12 PM
Gunkid was a mentally ill criminal ... he made Mall Ninja's look downright cuddly.

You could say that he is the new Desperado,or from da hood but instead of a Spanish guitar,a wheelbarrow instead.A driveby at the allotments,in Compton.All he needs to do is to pimp his wheelbarrow and his clothing,then he can look like a South Central or Compton hood.

All he needs to do is to go up against,a dangerous nutcase,who is as ruthless and brutal as Mike Myers and real-life psychos Micheal Ryan and Emil Matasareanu,who were both heavily-armed.Then you could watch the cowardly-fantasist run,because his wheelbarrow wouldn't have been strong enough to stop 7.62mm rounds.I know it might sound like weird humor,but for a crank like him who would hurt people for fun,it's time that he got his comeuppance.I don't think that he could return fire in time to save his pitiful little life.By the way,that was serious black comedy,which is the sort that comes from the UK,but I think that Tarentino uses a similar style and he would laugh at it.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/7b/Matasareanu.jpg/180px-Matasareanu.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/3c/Michaelryan190.jpg
"So you think you're a tough crank,do ya gunkid?".We'll see now!

damien
July 31, 2007, 02:00 PM
http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/index.htm

From a link on the first link concerning GunKid's arrest. Totally hilarious and accurate on.

armedandsafe
July 31, 2007, 02:24 PM
I was doing fine, until this thread came back up. Now, I have to go eat breakfast AGAIN. :barf:

I got the pleasure of poofing him a time or two, over where I am a mod. After that, it was no longer a pleasure. Just a never-ending task involving a large rock and a steep hill. :cuss::banghead::cuss:

Pops

kungfuhippie
July 31, 2007, 02:25 PM
I just saw on another thread that he'll be released 10/26/10!!!
Will we see the return of Gunkid???

Correia
July 31, 2007, 02:47 PM
Every mod on here has banned Gunkid seven or eight times. It is kind of like a right of passage. When you first become a moderator, you had to hunt down a Gunkid and take him out with a suppressed, 10 inch .22 AR.

Now that we don't have Gunkid, we'll have to find a new right of passage. Justin had a great idea, but I really don't know if it is legal to do that kind of thing with mollusks, even if they are tame.

wooderson
July 31, 2007, 05:18 PM
is it even possible to 'de-bark' a dog?

KenRocks
July 31, 2007, 05:32 PM
Yup...its possible, though not humane IMO.

More or less just cut the vocal cords.

pdowg881
July 31, 2007, 05:47 PM
what the heck does when the ballon goes up mean? is it like shtf? Where did the saying come from?

B36
July 31, 2007, 09:46 PM
I deleted a ton of his crap on two different sites as moderator, and blocked him more than once.

One well know shooter and instructor when asked about John Davis, had this to say 'crazy SOB'.

Bazooka Joe71
July 31, 2007, 09:59 PM
I just read the first 4 posts that JWarren gave a link to and I'm confused.:confused:

I would like to know what the hype is all about. That was not the LEAST bit entertaining to me and I want to know who I see to get my 15 minutes back.

Horrible.:rolleyes:

mustanger98
July 31, 2007, 10:09 PM
Yeah, horrible is about all that can be said about it. And imagine what us levergunners had to put up with.

With all the stupid crap about the assault wheelbarrow, I just had to write up designing two pintle mounts and a tripod (Ma Duce or two M1919's) on an up-armored 4X4 dually with a gun collection (Old West through WW2) behind the seat and ammo cans stacked against the cab... all that was in response to some SHTF/TEOTWAWKI type stuff on another board. The idea was a dually pickup truck trumps wheelbarrow and Ma Duce trumps canned .22 AR upper. Now, unlike Gunkid's rants, those tall tail threads were worth being in on.

RoadkingLarry
July 31, 2007, 11:10 PM
Can't pull him up on Oklahoma Offender lookup http://docapp065p.doc.state.ok.us/servlet/page?_pageid=395&_dad=portal30&_schema=PORTAL30

Unless I'm doing something wrong...

Edit - he's in the Federal system...

evan price
August 1, 2007, 08:43 AM
Wow, I almost miss his inspiring comments. When he was online, it was, "Honey, go throw some more kettlecorn in the microwave and get out a twelve pack, this's gonna get ta be fun!"

High Planes Drifter
August 1, 2007, 10:35 AM
That dude was nuttier than a can of Planters.

what the heck does when the ballon goes up mean? is it like shtf? Where did the saying come from?

Im interested in finding that out myself.

JWarren
August 1, 2007, 10:58 AM

Good questions. From my understanding, that was GK's way of describing a SHTF on a large scale. From what I've garnered from posts, the orgins of the "Balloon going up" referred to the balloons sent up in WWI for observation and anti-aircraft uses. I read somewhere that seeing the balloons going up meant that you could expect some general nastiness in the very near future.

-- John

JWarren
August 1, 2007, 11:03 AM
I think this is the orgin of the "When the Balloon goes up."

http://www.firstworldwar.com/atoz/balloons.htm

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=61686&d=1185976944

-- John

sterling180
August 1, 2007, 06:00 PM
It's really sad that this guy Davis,had to bring so much trouble on himself.I and many think that he had a natural aptitude for guns and since he liked them so much,he should had furthered himself,into coompeting in the US national squad,etc.It's like a kid with a natural aptitude for science,dropping it and becoming a road sweeper.Sad really.

Dravur
August 1, 2007, 06:19 PM
and I have read most of the Gunkid crapola that I could find, but what in the world does a debarked chihuahua do for security? Pee on the BG?

I would assume that a chihuahua with a bark would be a much better guard for the wheelbarrow of doom.

And instead of going cannibal, why doesn't he just eat the chihuahua?

operator114
August 1, 2007, 06:28 PM

Because GK doesn't like hotdogs!!!

Sorry, I couldn't resist....

trueblue1776
August 1, 2007, 06:32 PM
It's like a kid with a natural aptitude for science,dropping it and becoming a road sweeper.Sad really.

Or like a compulsively lying thief going to the pokey. :evil: Some people have no aptitude, some people are just crazy.

JWarren
August 1, 2007, 06:43 PM

Anyone ever see that old episode of King of the Hill that was about Y2K?

That crazy conspiracy-theory junkie (Dale, I think) was raising hampsters as a food supply in the event of a societal meltdown after Y2K. They got out and ate all of his grain.

-- John

Joe Demko
August 1, 2007, 08:39 PM
and since he liked them so much,he should had furthered himself,into coompeting in the US national squad,etc.It's like a kid with a natural aptitude for science,dropping it and becoming a road sweeper.Sad really.

John's typical "tone" in his posts was such that he irritated almost everyone he conversed with. Many of his talking points are opinions that are rather common on gun boards, in fact. .223 is superior to .308 in most survival and military applications is just one example. John is far from the only person to hold that opinion. I could list many others. Yet John alienated even people who, where the rubber meets the road, basically agreed with him.
Meh. In my personal communications with him, I always found him to be a perfectly polite, well-spoken guy. He's far from the only guy on the internet, or even on gun boards, who gets behind a keyboard and displays a wholly different persona from how he behaves IRL or personal corespondance.

Justin
August 1, 2007, 08:46 PM
Let's not don the rosy-colored spectacles just yet.

Don't forget that he was already a convicted felon before he was arrested last year. The events leading up to his most recent arrest involved him pulling some absolutely dirtball moves, and I'm not talking about his claims about poisoning water supplies and such.

The bottom line is that Davis is a deeply disturbed person, and one who had little to no compunction about breaking the law and hurting those around him.

The fact that he was a troll who was kicked off of every gun and survivalist forum literally hundreds of times is just the tip of the proverbial iceberg.

CB900F
August 1, 2007, 11:17 PM
Fella's;

I first ran across him on the old Shooter's site, probably 10 or more years ago now. He was a member of the Columbia Conference that founded IPSC. He had more alias's than any 10 inner city gang-bangers you can come up with. I first knew him as AMANDA, which I think was shortly after he got out the first time.

I know who outed him on Shooter's, but that's not material now, & no good purpose is served by naming that person. I will say though, that the person who did it is absolutely respected in the firearms world, and had good reason to out him.

How 'bout them zinc bullets?

900F

mustanger98
August 1, 2007, 11:28 PM
I first knew him as AMANDA, which I think was shortly after he got out the first time.

One of my online buddies makes a habit of calling him Sybil. He hates it.

ChuckNorris:
how do i start my own thread

Hmm. Are you really Chuck Norris? And then there's the question "are you THE Chuck Norris?".

jeff-10
August 1, 2007, 11:37 PM
who was GUNKID?

He was a guy who trolled the gun boards throughout the late 90s and early 2000s. He had a few different names but his original and most used would often be gunkid. He went by variations of Andy a lot also. He was famous for debating himself on ballistics and survival related topics rapid style like. If a mod didn't stop him right away he could literally shut an Internet board down. He basically wanted everyone to own a silenced AR with a 22lr conversion kit. He always referred to it as canned and at one point he was trumpeting a wheelbarrow to carry your stuff in if civilization suddenly came to an end. I believe he is in prison now. Hope this helps. :D

Joe Demko
August 1, 2007, 11:44 PM
No rosy colored spectacles here. John was a troll's troll. On the other hand, I am not a board moderator or administrator, so that is of no personal consequence to me. John's holding cranky ideas and vociferously defending them never bothered me either, mainly because I never found it important to "disprove" his ideas...or anybody else's for that matter. The errornet has always had a high chaff-to-wheat ratio ever since the BBS days. Take what you want, leave the rest. Those who spent the most time trying to shout John down (the very definition of an exercise in futility) might better have been served by simply posting their own ideas with an explanation of their superiority to Gunkid's plans and saying no more.
Was any dialog with John ever concluded with anybody changing his mind from where it was when the discussion began?
Did it ever bother John one bit to be called a felon?
Again, I'm not a mod or administrator so I won't speak to their problems with John. The average board member, I would think, could have skipped his posts or put him on an ignore list and gone on with life.

Deaf Smith
August 1, 2007, 11:46 PM
He is in an Arkanasa prison.

http://www.bop.gov/iloc2/InmateFinderServlet?Transaction=NameSearch&needingMoreList=false&LastName=davis&Middle=melvin&FirstName=john&Race=W&Sex=M&Age=&x=22&y=20

nwilliams
August 2, 2007, 12:41 AM
LOL never heard of him until now, wow....its funny but kinda creepy to:uhoh:

Where can you find posts by this guy? Are there any still out there that can be directly linked to this guy? If he's so notorious I just need to read some of his posts for myself.

kungfuhippie
August 2, 2007, 11:22 AM
I believe we all know that the balloon go up 10/26/10:neener:

The Day the Balloon Went Up (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Day_the_Balloon_Went_Up)

:neener:

sterling180
August 2, 2007, 12:37 PM
Or like a compulsively lying thief going to the pokey. Some people have no aptitude, some people are just crazy.
I know that he is a grade 1 scumbag,but just think,that if he didn't waste his life being a lying,cheating son of a b***h,he could have done this,instead of ending up in the slammer.He does have useful skills,but they are no good to him now,except if he wanted to break out of jail.I think that prision reformation,won't sort him out either.He needs to be locked up in a looney bin,somewhere.

Ever seen in movies cons getting a chance to shine,if they fought in ww2.Perhaps Davis should be used as cannon-fodder for dangerous missions,where he is just a number and not a person.Like the Penal regiments in the SS,in ww2.Personally all of the billy-lying,scum of the earth types get their just-desserts,sooner or later.

Are you really Chuck Norris? Perhaps the real Chuck Norris should give him a good kicking,by using martial arts.

Bazooka Joe71
August 2, 2007, 03:07 PM
Perhaps the real Chuck Norris should give him a good kicking,by using martial arts.

I believe "round house" is the phrase you're looking for.:D

Death by round houses!

W.E.G.
August 2, 2007, 08:11 PM
classic gunkid

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x314/tempfreepics4me/Dsc01936.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x314/tempfreepics4me/Dsc01938.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x314/tempfreepics4me/Dsc01940.jpg

CWL
August 2, 2007, 08:24 PM
It's really sad that this guy Davis,had to bring so much trouble on himself.I and many think that he had a natural aptitude for guns and since he liked them so much,he should had furthered himself,into coompeting in the US national squad,etc.It's like a kid with a natural aptitude for science,dropping it and becoming a road sweeper.Sad really.

You could also make this arguement about about the Unabomber, Kaczynski, but crazy goes a long way.

I remember him best as Hardin.

matt87
August 2, 2007, 08:34 PM
Anyone notice he seems to either be ignorant of or glosses over the Hague Convention against military use of hp/sp ammo, column 1 page 2? Even I know that! :D

Joe Demko
August 2, 2007, 10:33 PM
He wasn't glossing over it. One of John's talking points has consistently been that survivalists are not constrained in their choices of ammo as the military is.
That article certainly is classic Gunkid; the article is from 1992 and he was still making identicle points in the introduction to his most recent silencer book. Should he ever be paroled, he'll quite likely be on the web that same day making the same points and aggravating a good many people in the process.

BGlaze250
August 3, 2007, 12:44 AM
Guess I'm not old enough, and I missed out on all of the fun. Someone should put together a GunKid wikipedia page. :)

denfoote
August 3, 2007, 01:54 AM
Someone over at HardCoreTalk posted GunKid's DD214.

It turns out that he was honorably discharged and had MP experience. :what:

If he had stayed straight and gone into law enforcement, he would have been retired now with a decent pension instead of sitting in Club Fed!!!

I know, what if's, but it does show how past choices determine our future.

c_yeager
August 3, 2007, 02:04 AM
This brings back some memories, I remember that guy from the old Shooter's board. He was a real piece of work back then.

Correia
August 3, 2007, 02:06 AM
Dr. Rob once pointed out that the funnest way to read Gunkid's posts were to read outloud, like you had Tourette's syndrom, and randomly shout some of the words.

Try it. :D

Autolycus
August 3, 2007, 03:22 AM
I still get a kick out of reading his postings. They always made me realize how thankful I should be for having a decent education and the ability to spell as well as use somewhat decent grammar.

I definately agree with Correia, that is a funny way to read his posts.

Scorpiusdeus
August 3, 2007, 05:03 PM
joab-The saddest part of all this is that Gunkid was once a respected competitor, although from what I understand Cooper couldn't stand him

- He allegedly had a 2 year IPSC career 30 years ago, still thinks he’s a top hand yet the few competitors who remember him indicates that he chokes under pressure. He boasts, of his prowess, but can't provide any facts;

-He likes to allude to a magnificent IPSC shooting career. There are no records of his exploits. However, there are complete records of other competitor’s scores, shot in the time frame he claims to have been a competitor.

-He claims to have shot in the IPSC World Match in 1977, yet can’t tell anyone who won the match or the handgun used;

-He does believe that IPSC shooting is reality and that’s how life will be if the balloon ever goes up;

-He claimed to have shot with the South West Pistol League in the middle 1970's, yet John doesn't even remember Peter-the-Power-Meter. Ask Hard Ball, he remembers Ol' Peter. Gun Kid knows none, of the old line, 1970's era, SWPL shooters;

-Well, we do know that Gun kid managed to shoot two people. Of course, they were both him. He shot himself in the foot with a .22 then poured scalding water over his foot as he couldn’t afford to go to a doctor. They second time he allegedly shot himself in the belt buckle with a .45. He has admitted to at least a ½ dozen accidental discharges on various boards;

-Gun kid joined/was drafted into the Army in 1971 where he became a Military Policeman. He was shipped to Korea where he admitted that he slept on guard duty and beat the police dog that he was responsible for, went AWOL and admitted theft of government property. He received an early discharge from the Army after 1 year 7 months. He has not divulged the reason why. One can only speculate;

-Gunkid became a world class gunsmith while he vacationed at Federal Correctional Institution Phoenix, they had a machine shop!

-He has been arrested on numerous occasions, once by a meter maid, once his Community Programs Manager phoned him and he turned himself in. He has been a drug dealer and made cheap ineffective silencers. The 13 plus years he spent in jail indicates he isn’t the most successful of the criminal breed. He suggests that the way to be a successful drug dealer is to have kids sell your drugs as they can’t be arrested, same with selling silencers. Another arrest he received for Falsifying a Firearms Statement and Felon in Possession of a Firearm. This lead to the great escape.

Respected by you and who else?

MrDig
August 3, 2007, 05:57 PM
As I read the Blog by LawDog I had the distinct impression I could hear munchkins singing.
Gunkid, sounds like a horrific troll, anybody know what the feds charged him with?
P.S. But don't quote me on this, I thought The Balloon is the big cloud from a nuke. Was described once as looking like a balloon. Again that was my impression as to why it was used.

Bazooka Joe71
August 3, 2007, 06:06 PM
Explain when the balloon goes up? I get that it's shtf. But where does the phrase originate?

This is what Jwarren had to say.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=292480&page=3

Not saying he's right, but it made sense to me.:D

Posts #51 and #52

Justin
August 3, 2007, 06:14 PM
As I understand it, the first time, he was charged for dealing cocaine and unregistered sound suppressors.

I don't know the exact crimes he was charged with this time, but I'm pretty sure they have to do with being in possession of stolen property, and felon possessing a gun type charges.

Ughhh, why does a 50 year old use gunkid as a screen name?

That was one of literally hundreds of screen names that he registered with. It just so happens that it's one of the more popular ones that's stuck. Hardin is the other one he seemed to use quite often.

Justin
August 3, 2007, 06:15 PM
No sense in having more than one Gunkid thread, so I've merged them.

Dravur
August 5, 2007, 02:49 AM
http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/12/messages/798.htmlThis is what I found on the balloon going up comment.

kungfuhippie
August 5, 2007, 04:25 PM
I swear I met Gunkid II in Nevada yesterday at the crossroads gun show. We were talking and all of a sudden he starts talking about body armor and trauma plates and the shortfalls of the AR that have been corrected. Mentioned that subsonic .22 in an AR with a .22 upper could be shot indoors when it's cold. He spoke with as much passion as homer Simpson would talking about donuts. I asked him if he had a wheelbarrow...he did, but wasn't sure why I asked. We may be safe.

Ford Prefect
August 5, 2007, 07:43 PM
John Melvin Davis, 49, will remain in Federal custody while he awaits trial on charges of sending threats and hoaxes by mail

Oklahoma Nov 27, 2006 (AP)— A man charged with mailing more than a dozen threatening letters containing a white powder to celebrities, politicians and other high-profile figures has been arrested while in federal custody on unrelated charges. John Melvin Davis, 49, will remain in Federal custody while he awaits trial on charges of sending threats and hoaxes by mail.

He is accused of sending the letters to comedians Jon Stewart and David Letterman; Democratic Rep. Nancy Pelosi of California; Democratic Sen. Charles Schumer of New York; MSNBC host Keith Olbermann; and Viacom Inc. chairman Sumner Redstone.

Some letters included phrases like "Death to Demagogues" and pictures of victims of the 2004 Asian tsunami, authorities said.

The powder in the letters turned out to be harmless but it raised fears of another anthrax attack similar to the anthrax-laced letters that killed five people just weeks after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

The count of sending threats by mail is punishable by up to 10 years in prison. Sending false information or hoaxes by mail carries up to five years in prison.

http://fieldandstream.blogs.com/gun...omment-67876864

If you enjoyed reading about "who was GUNKID?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!