check my number please

PDA

dmrodco
July 30, 2007, 03:30 PM
at the range this weekend shooting .40 SW , 155 gr hardcast truncated cone 5 grns 700x in Remington cases with CCI small pistol primer. speeds ranged from 1060 FPS to 1080 FPS. does this look good to you guys for hard cast? they shoot and group great from a supported position. a little snappy from the HK USP with that I mean muzzle jumped more than though my SW sigma.

If you enjoyed reading about "check my number please" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Steve C
July 30, 2007, 04:10 PM
I wouldn't use lead in a polygonal barrel like the HK's as they lead up something terrible and you cant' really see it looking down the bore. Run a patch from a lead cleaning cloth or just check the bore by looking at it from the side and not straight down it and you'll see lead streaks. But if you spend the hour or so after every shooting session removing the lead or go in for one of the electric bore cleaners you'll avoid some of the dangers from high pressure caused by excessive lead build up. Note that jacketed bullets do NOT remove leading from polygonal barrels in my experience.

Otherwise your load looks about right for a lead bullet target load.

dmrodco
July 30, 2007, 04:19 PM
how do you tell the differance between a polygonal barrel and standard rifling ?

dmrodco
July 30, 2007, 04:23 PM
ok looked on WIKIpedia they have a GOOD picture I do not have polygonal barrel. my USP is an older one if that matters I have had it since the early to mid 90's I am 100% sure it has standard rifling I can clearly see lands and grooves. I had a desert eagle and it definatly had the polygonal barrel to I guess I do know the differance so back on topic please

dmrodco
July 31, 2007, 01:21 PM
Hoping someone will take a look at the numbers to see what they think of my load

Mal H
July 31, 2007, 01:45 PM
Personally, I think you're loads look good as long as you're not getting any high pressure signs, and I doubt you are. 5.0 gr 700-X behind a 155 hard cast shouldn't be near the max according to my books.

You are getting an excellent velocity range, and that is probably indicative of what's giving you the good groups; not the range itself, but the fact that everything you're doing is uniform from round to round.

dmrodco
July 31, 2007, 03:02 PM
Thanks I just wanted a little sanity check. No pressure signs or overley leading taking place. should be a nice solid practice round thanks Mal H

If you enjoyed reading about "check my number please" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!