9mm Issues with leading?

PDA

kellyj00
July 30, 2007, 04:58 PM
I've loaded up a few hundred 9mm cartridges with 125gr Lead TCBB and 3.7 grains of titegroup.

My pa shoots a taurus pt99 (same as baretta 92, AFAIK) and he's concerned with the lead fouling related to his gun and 9mm lead bullets. I haven't shot any lead 9mm's before, only 45acp by the thousands.

Do we run any additional risk of lead fouling with 9mm than with 45acp? After running around 500 lead 230 grain TCBB through my 1911, I saw no evidence of lead fouling.

If you enjoyed reading about "9mm Issues with leading?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Car Knocker
July 30, 2007, 06:37 PM
I've experienced very little fouling in my BHP with hard-cast lead bullets; certainly not enough to deter me from using them.

Steve C
July 30, 2007, 06:38 PM
After running around 500 lead 230 grain TCBB through my 1911, I saw no evidence of lead fouling.

I've never loaded a commercial hard cast with the hard waxy type lube in any low pressure cartridges like the .45 acp without getting some lead fouling. I lube these bullets now with Lee Liquid Alox to eliminate lead fouling.

Leading or lack of it is a combination of factors including the hardness of the bullet, bullet diameter, pressure of load, bore diameter, cleanliness and roughness. If you are lucky you won't get any leading with you 9mm loads. A good clean well broken in smoothe bore is one of the best defenses agains leading so remove any copper fouling if all you've been shooting is jacketed.

hawkeye1
July 31, 2007, 10:32 AM
I've been shooting 124 grain LRN in my Beretta 92 for years. I have never had any leading problems at all. I use Lee Liquid Alox and the bore is clean as a whistle. And this is with standard old wheel weights. There should not be any difference in shooting lead in your 9mm or your 45acp. Let me know how they work in your 9.

kellyj00
July 31, 2007, 12:20 PM
do you just put all your bullets in a plastic jar with a few oz's of lee liquid alox and shake it up? Or is it more complex?

hawkeye1
August 1, 2007, 07:36 AM
Lee lube is very easy to use. It is messier to use, but it works really well. All you do is to dump all of your bullets into a bowl. I use a cool whip plastic bowl. Pour the Lee lube over the top, a little will do just fine. If you don't get enough, put a little more on. Tumble them until you get complete coverage. Then I take a large tweezer and set them base down on a board covered with wax paper. I then let them set overnight to dry. The next morning they will be dry and ready to load. There is very little or no stickiness.

A note. The lube can accumulate on your bullet seating stem over time. So I take a rag damp with alcohol or thinner and wipe the noses off while they are still damp. This just takes a minute or two, but will get rid of the problem of lube accumulating on the seating stem. You can also wipe them off when they are dry, but takes a little more elbow grease. But it can be done.

I have had great results with the Lee lube in a number of different pistol rounds. 9 Mak, 9mm, 40 s&w, 45 acp, 45 colt, 454 casull. I have even had good results in a 30-30.

Let us know how you make out.

kellyj00
August 1, 2007, 10:18 AM
I'm much lazier than that.... I would like to avoid putting 500 bullets face up.

Is there a problem with putting too much lube on them?

Master Blaster
August 1, 2007, 10:55 AM
I've been shooting 124 grain LRN in my Beretta 92 for years. I have never had any leading problems at all.

My beretta 92FS Inox would not shoot lead bullets, its the only gun I have ever owned that the manual specifically said DO NOT SHOOT LEAD BULLETS. I tried to shoot lead out of it anyway, after all my two glocks shot those same bullets fine with no leading.

The manual was right the barrel would be filled with shreds of lead after 20 rounds, and the bullets would be hitting the target sideways after about 15 rounds of hardcast lead (Penn Bullets, brinnell 21).

The gun shot jacketed bullets, and plated bullets just fine, no problems.

I no longer own the berretta, but all my other 9mms shoot hardcast lead bullets with almost no fouling.

hawkeye1
August 1, 2007, 11:53 AM
Kellyj00
I don't think you could get too much lube on the bullets. I can't imagine why you could not just dump the lubed bullets out and let them dry as they fall. I don't think that would hurt anything, now that you mention it. Once they are dry, you just load them as they are. Give it a try. I'm just too picky I guess. It is definitely a fast way to lube alot of bullets quickly.

Somebody on one of these threads even said you could thin the lube down a little if you wanted to. I have never tried that, but I don't see a problem. But, I would rather have too much lube than not enough or too thin.

ReloaderFred
August 1, 2007, 01:11 PM
You can stand your bullets in a shallow pan and flood them to the top of the bearing surface, but not up over the nose. Then use those large tweezers to pick them out and stand on the waxed paper. Only the bearing surface will have lube on it and the noses won't have to be wiped.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Steve C
August 1, 2007, 06:20 PM
I use an old butter container to lube 100 bullets at a time. Put the bullets in the tub and add 6 to 10 drops of Lee Liquid Alox on the bullets and swish them around. This gives them a nice light coating and any more isn’t needed. I then pour them out on a sheet of wax paper on a old tray and let the dry for a day at least, a couple days is better. I never bothered to stand them up to dry. The lube retained on the bullet along with the commercial lube is all that’s needed. They’re not messy at all if you wait and let the dry before loading and only have a slight tackiness.
http://www.midwayusa.com/mediasvr.dll/highresimage?saleitemid=466811

kellyj00
August 2, 2007, 10:02 AM
the fellas on castboolits talk about Johnson Paste Wax as a good substitute for bullet lube.
Any experience with this? Will it prevent leading too?

James Thomson
August 2, 2007, 08:30 PM
Use a little lynotype to wheelweight metal and it will never lead your barrel. I use 50% WW to 50% lynotype. I know this is more than I need but I bought up a lot of lynotype years ago so I don't worry that much about making it last. I've also used this recipe for 44 Mag with no leading.

RexDart
August 2, 2007, 11:34 PM
In this day of digital offset printing, is linotype lead still available? What's a good source?

kellyj00
August 8, 2007, 05:01 PM
as an update... went out on Saturday and shot a bunch (few hundred rounds) of 9mm lead without any leading whatsoever in an XD 9mm 4". Most were loaded with 3.8 grains titegroup, some were loaded with 1.0 and 1.5 grains titewad as experimental.

Barrels were mildly dirty, but no leading. I shot absolutely no jacketed bullets on saturday.

hawkeye1
August 9, 2007, 07:58 AM
Great, no leading. Cast bullets are definitely the way to go. Cheaper and you will never wear out a barrel with cast. And if you cast your own, they are practically free. You are only out the cost of the mold and your own labor.

Sheldon
August 9, 2007, 01:21 PM
I have two Beretta 92 FS pistols and shoot a lot of lead without issue.

kellyj00
August 9, 2007, 02:39 PM
I'm coming to the conclusion that this whole 'leading' issue with any caliber is more of a myth than anything. I've read quite a few articles saying to "clean your bore after 200 rds of lead or 500 rds of FMJ."

I don't know where it all came from, maybe folks using softer lead than I am. Maybe I've got some stuff from leadheads bullets and midstates that is magical and doesn't lead my barrels much.

NuJudge
August 9, 2007, 06:45 PM
Leading can be a problem:

Some rifling is not designed for Lead.

Too small a bullet will result in a lot of gas blow-by, blowing a lot of Lead off the sides of the bullet and depositing it ahead of the bore.

A rough bore will frequently lead.

CDD

If you enjoyed reading about "9mm Issues with leading?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!