are you allowed to....

PDA

krnboitae
July 30, 2007, 04:19 PM
shoot someone who tries to steal your car in your house' driveway????

If you enjoyed reading about "are you allowed to...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
RNB65
July 30, 2007, 04:21 PM
No. Only if you want to go to prison.

pdowg881
What state are you from? What are the circumastances? Sounds like a bad idea. It may be a better idea to let insured property go, than to put yourself in any danger.

News Shooter
No

Superpsy
July 30, 2007, 04:22 PM
News Shooter...I love the title of your post. horrible horrible:D

iamkris
July 30, 2007, 04:22 PM
"allowed to"? Who exactly is allowing me?

DDrake
July 30, 2007, 04:23 PM
Why on earth would you want to shoot someone for stealing property? When you shoot someone, you are using deadly force and should only be done if you fear your life. If someone wants to steal my new Hunda CRV... I will let them. I have insurance and I am not going to put myself in further harm to protect some object.

kingpin008
It varies state to state. Checking your local laws would be a great idea. I know that in Texas, defense of property is a valid reason for shooting a badguy. Other places, not so much.

**Edit** and BTW, I totally agree with DDRake - Property, I can replace. A life, I can't. Scumbag or no, it'd take more than a stolen car or any other property of mine for me to shoot someone.

Not a moral judgement, take with a grain of salt...just my personal feelings.

krnboitae
are you allowed to @ least point a gun @ him????
telling him to get out and call the police????

springmom
July 30, 2007, 04:24 PM
Ah, what a great first post. Planning something?

The search feature is your friend. So is www.packing.org, at which you can look up the laws relating to deadly force in your state.

It is the general consensus of people on THR that while some of us may live in states that might allow such, it is hardly a fair trade, a life for a car. A car can always be replaced. I suggest insurance against theft, and save your gunfire for saving your life or that of another.

Springmom

ETA: pointing a gun may get you arrested for brandishing. KNOW YOUR STATE'S LAWS.

Crunker1337
July 30, 2007, 04:25 PM
This is not legal advice

If you're really worried about your car, put it in the garage.
I think you're allowed to use pepperspray but I'm not sure about deadly force.

supraneurotoxin
July 30, 2007, 04:26 PM
are you in the car?
I was under the impression you could only use deadly force if you feel your's or someone else's life was in imminent danger.
are they trying to escape through your house?:neener:

Zundfolge
July 30, 2007, 04:26 PM
Several years ago when I lived in Wichita Kansas, there was a guy that shot some kid trying to steel his car and got off.

Guy was in his living room and shot through the front window to hit the kid in the driveway.

As has been stated before, this varies from state to state (and probably jury to jury).

pdowg881
July 30, 2007, 04:27 PM
I get the feeling maybe you have some kind of bad blood with someone and have reason to beleive your situation is possible? Let the car go, call the police, don't put yourself in danger or legal troubles.

zeroskillz
July 30, 2007, 04:28 PM
In some states yes but....
Civil suits will take you for everything you've got and will ever get.

RNB65
July 30, 2007, 04:29 PM
As has been stated before, this varies from state to state (and probably jury to jury).

Anytime you point a gun at someone and pull the trigger, you're rolling the legal dice no matter how well justified it may have been.

30 cal slob
July 30, 2007, 04:31 PM
attack someone with what?

please specify ...

1) rotten tomato
2) handgun
3) rifle
4) 40 mm grenade

ArfinGreebly
July 30, 2007, 04:36 PM
Howdy.

Before we get all tangled up in the question, let us welcome you to The High Road.

Take a moment and tell us a little about yourself.

Where ya from?

What brings you here?

What's the problem you're trying to solve?

raz-0
July 30, 2007, 04:38 PM
I know that in Texas, defense of property is a valid reason for shooting a badguy. Other places, not so much.

You left out the after dark bit. Technically 30 minutes after sunset until 30 minutes before sunrise.

Reddbecca
July 30, 2007, 04:39 PM
shoot someone who tries to steal your car in your house' driveway???

If you're in the car at that time of the incident and there's a weapon involved that isn't your own, yes usually.

Dannavyret
July 30, 2007, 04:50 PM
If the car was just parked there? No.

Bazooka Joe71
July 30, 2007, 04:54 PM
Isn't this a topic better suited for legal/political?

sacp81170a
July 30, 2007, 04:55 PM
Why not just shoot the car in the engine block with, say, a 12 ga. magnum slug? (If I can't have it, you ain't gettin' it either...) :evil:

I have a friend who has a nice 50 inch plasma TV. If someone tries to steal it, that's his plan, a couple rounds of buckshot center mass of the screen. :cool:

(Just jokin')

arthurcw
July 30, 2007, 05:01 PM
Isn't this a topic better suited for legal/political?

+1

Also, PLEASE ask someone qualified from your state about its lethal/deadly force laws. If theft of property is a valid LEGAL reason IN YOUR STATE, then go ask your Rabbi, Priest, Pastor, Therapist... Shooting someone, even a thieving scumbag, is gonna weigh heavily on you. Something to be avoided if at all possible.

HippieCrusher
July 30, 2007, 05:01 PM
:eek:

Y'er scaring me. I promise to quit trying to steal your car, don't shoot.

But seriously, heck no. And... if you do... I hope you have an unregistered handgun or other deadly weapon to quickly place on his person afterwards.

WSUZJer
July 30, 2007, 05:08 PM
Only if they are trying to run you down in it. ;)

Art Eatman
July 30, 2007, 05:38 PM
Check your local laws. Nothing you read here would be binding on your local authorities.

The comment about a civil lawsuit against you, however, is quite probable in most states.

After you've checked on the reality of the laws where you live, you might start a thread in the L&P forum as to what you learned.

Art

If you enjoyed reading about "are you allowed to...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!