Draw

PDA

RancidSumo
July 30, 2007, 04:22 PM
I got a holster today and was thinking about going out and using it today. How do you practice with a holster? Any tips?

If you enjoyed reading about "Draw" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Siderite
July 30, 2007, 05:12 PM
Ok, first thing is to make sure the holster is safe with your gun:

Unload gun, verify clear. Next turn off all safeties (including grip safety pushed in), verify empty (again, this is important), and see if holstering will cause it to 'fire'. If it does 'fire', see if there are any tensioning screws that can be adjusted. Also check if there is a 'trigger shoe' on the trigger, which increases the width, possibly causing it to catch when holstering.

I'd recommend making sure the holster passes the test at least a dozen times (with the holster on your belt, not just laying loose) as described in my second paragraph before moving on from that.

As for practicing the actual draw, that's not something I'd feel comfortable trying to explain in words online, so I'd recommend finding a good instructor.

pdowg881
July 30, 2007, 05:13 PM
Carry it around the house for awhile doing various activities and movements and stuff like that in addition to what Siderite said.

RancidSumo
July 30, 2007, 06:15 PM
No instuctors around here and I don't think that carrying around the house will go over well with my mom. I will go do the tests that siderite said and then just be careful and try it out.

RancidSumo
July 30, 2007, 07:52 PM
any more tips?

CWL
July 30, 2007, 07:53 PM
Remember this: first comes 'smooth', then comes 'speed'. Too many people try to become a quick-draw gunslinger at first.

The best thing you can do when learning how to draw from a holster is to be slow and smooth with your motion -do not worry about speed this will come naturally. Do this a few dozen times a day (or more) in front of a mirror. After doing this a few thousand times, you will have developed the muscle memory for a smooth steady draw.

Your speed will increase naturally the smoother you become with your draw.

Next try to draw your gun from the holster and place a shot into COM of your target (find a point somewhere or use a mirror). (Let's all agree that we are always talking about an EMPTY gun.) Try doing this from a natural stance before you pull this gun. If you can get to the point where you are able to do this in under 2 seconds, you'll be better and faster than most. If you have a DA pistol, try to put 2 COM; then try 2 COM and then one headshot into 't-zone' in under 2 seconds.

All of this will be much much harder if you are using an IWB holster & tucked shirt, but it's possible. My old trainer Walt Marshall, can get off 3 shots in 1.5 seconds.

Sistema1927
July 30, 2007, 08:42 PM
"Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast."

Steve C
July 31, 2007, 01:48 AM
One note, practice with the gun unloaded so you don't blow a hole through your foot or drill the practice mirror, tv etc.

BamBam-31
July 31, 2007, 02:10 AM
It might be helpful if you describe the type of scenario you'd be drawing in. CCW? IDPA? IPSC? CAS? I ask because if it's CCW or IDPA, part of the draw is clearing the cover garment first.

Some general tips about drawing:

--Get a good grip.
--As soon as the gun clears the holster, push the gun forward towards the target. Have your support hand ready somewhere near your stomach to meet the gun as it's being pushed forward. Don't extend and then swing it up to aim.
--Start with gun (UNLOADED!) in shooting position, then slowly holster the gun as smoothly and efficiently as possible. Reverse this, and that's pretty close to what your draw should feel like.
--Like others have said, practice slowly and smoothly at first. Look to eliminate any wasted motions. Speed will come.

What kind of holster did you get?

mlandman
July 31, 2007, 01:19 PM
Try one of these folks...
Contact any one of the NRA certified Instructors for more information.

Marty Brown mdbrown@vcn.com (307) 682-4668

Clem MacIlravie clem@scotsdown.com (307) 467-5215

Laurel Vicklund lev@vcn.com (307) 686-3758

Emery DeWitt (307) 756-9414

Doris Gotsch khd@trib.com (307) 467-5635

Mike Holzer mholzer@vcn.com (307) 682-1951

Jim Perkinsjp8434@bresnan.net(307) 686-9592

If you enjoyed reading about "Draw" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!