Rex powder - any good?

PDA

kellyj00
July 30, 2007, 04:43 PM
http://www.rexpowder.com/

found this Rex powder stuff on www.Powdervalleyinc.com and it's pretty darned cheap. I'm wondering if anyone's used it for pistol cartridges?

If you enjoyed reading about "Rex powder - any good?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Walkalong
July 30, 2007, 04:52 PM
Never used any, nor do I know anyone who has. :scrutiny:

hawkeye1
July 31, 2007, 09:35 AM
Rex Powders? Never heard of it, but the info on their website sound like it is comparable to W231.
Let us know how you like it, if it is clean, if it meters well, and how consistent it turns out to be.
How cheap?

kellyj00
July 31, 2007, 11:17 AM
$20.50 for 2.2 lbs. so, just under $10 per pound.
Their load data looks like the same weight as Titegroup.

I'm going down to Powder Valley a week from Saturday. Let you know how it turns out.

hotwheelz
September 22, 2007, 07:47 PM
I just got some of the RexII powder and loaded some .45acp with it. I didnt take a crono out with me but I loaded some 200rg lwc with loads from 4.2 up to 5.3 was alittle smoky but hay its lead the 4.7gr load seemed to be the best for me. All loads funtioned my commander well it didnt seem any more dirty after 200rnds then titegroup or bullseye. I will be using this powder alot b/c of the price and it seems to run well. I can get 25lbs for around $190 dollars thru the bulk orders at my club. I will post some more load info if anyone else is interested in the next couple weeks.

ReloaderFred
September 22, 2007, 10:37 PM
The shotgun shooters in my area have been using quite a bit of Rex powder, and they seem to like it. I haven't tried any, but probably will at some point, since I like to experiment.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Mule
September 23, 2007, 02:38 AM
I have been shooting REX 1 & 2 in my 12 gauges for four or five years with good success. With shot so expensive, REX-1 works up an awesome 3/4oz 12 gauge skeet load.

When I was shooting a lot of 9's I loaded with REX-2 because it was so inexpensive. It ran a little on the dirty side, but I always figured I would have to clean the gun anyway. I have not used it in any other calibers except for some .308Win roundball loads for garden pests. REX always metered through my powder measures perfectly.

No complaints here.

zxcvbob
September 21, 2008, 06:45 PM
What kind if powder is Rex-2 and Rex-3? Is it large flakes (like Unique) or tiny flakes (Bullseye), or granulated/ball like AA7, 296, etc? I'm fixin' to order some primers from powdervalley and might get a kilo of Rex powder to try it out. Just wonder what to expect (I'm trying to focus on powders that meter well)

sargenv
September 21, 2008, 07:41 PM
This is how I see it on the relative burn rates and how they stack up against US powders.

Rex-0 is likely close to 231 and/or Titewad. A really fast burner. It only has a few shotshell loads available for it, and they are either 7/8 or 1 ounces in the 12 gauge at modest target velocities.

Rex-1 is likely close to Red Dot. I've worked up a load in 40 S&W that doesn't quite make major (165 power factor (bullet weight x velocity divided by 1000)) and it likely a little warm in the pressure area. Using hindsight I would have probably not used it for this.

Rex-2 is likely close to International or maybe even universal clays. They have loading data for it in the 40 S&W and a few other calibers and could probably also be similar to Unique. Something you can use for handicap loads in shotshells if need be.

Rex-3 I have not used but have seen the data for. In the range of Herco for shotshells. Can be used for 38 super but probably does not give the velocity of slower powders (Longshot, SR4756, SR 7625, etc).

I recently loaded a few hundred rounds of 3 1/4 dram - 1 - 7.5 loads for dove with Rex-1. It gave ok velocity and I did well using it. Recoil was light and the shells effective. I was happy with it.

Relatively cheap in comparison to other powders, about $12/pound when I added these to our local group buy from Powder valley.

zxcvbob
September 21, 2008, 09:48 PM
But what kind of powder is it? Flakes or granules or ball or what? I don't want another powder that I don't trust to measure on a progressive press (I have enough of those already) Even flakes are OK if it's dense like Blue Dot, but something finer like WSF would be better. Thanks.

sargenv
September 22, 2008, 12:22 PM
Of the rex 0 and rex 1 I've seen (Have not opened the Rex-2 yet) they are flake powders, similar to the pistol powders made by Alliant. They meter well and for that kind of money, I really don't care what they look like :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Rex powder - any good?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!