New neighbor a felon

PDA

Will Learn
July 30, 2007, 07:19 PM
So we have some new neighbors(renters) moving in across the street, I noticed them moving stuff in earlier today. I must admit I was a little concerned to see these baggy clothed kids(20's) moving their stuff into the house but that was only the beginning.

So I go about my day and I get a call from one of my friends who says he found a rifle case at his house and asked if I wanted it. He proceeded to bring it over and we visited on my patio for a few minutes. When he leaves I hear him talking with my new neighbor(they went to high school together), so I went to introduce myself.

We get through the formalities and he asks "so your into guns?" I guess he saw my friend bring the gun case in from his car. I replied that I enjoy shooting, but withheld my inner gunfreak. I asked him if he did any shooting and he replied that he didn't, because he was a FELON. He then goes on to tell me that he shot a big black(he used a racial slur) guy, so he said I could call him a shooter and then giggled:uhoh:.

Needless to say I am not happy about this and plan on contacting the owner. I am still processing this at the moment and am still heated. I call my friend after he leaves to get some background on this POS and he told me that when he went to high school w/ him he was a G'd up pot dealer. :rolleyes: I'm not as worried about the whole pot thing as much as him being a felon and racist. I plan on keeping my eyes on these folks and keeping my distance as well. My neighborhood is turning into crap and I'm mad as hell about it :fire: .

Oh I found his felony conviction on public access - 1 ct AGGRAVATED BATTERY - INTENTIONAL, BODILY HARM-F 07 on 07/27/06 :cuss: I'm not trying to start a war with these scum bags but would like to get them out of here. I guess I'll give them a chance but document anything they do that disrupts the "hood."

If you enjoyed reading about "New neighbor a felon" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mainsail
July 30, 2007, 07:21 PM
I hope your guns are stored in a safe.

vis--vis
July 30, 2007, 07:23 PM
That's effed up.

RustyHammer
July 30, 2007, 07:26 PM
What's the old saying -- Hold your friends close and your enemies even closer?!?!

Guess you have a new "best friend" :(

Stevie-Ray
July 30, 2007, 07:27 PM
Become a pain in the butt to the local police about everything they do that is not kosher. Have the neighbors do the same. We had to run a bunch of trash out of our neighborhood last year. If you stick together, it works.

Give him a chance first, though. You might find he's a quiet sort now.

CDignition
July 30, 2007, 07:29 PM
Its not illegal for him to live there... Just mind your own business, and remember..Situational awareness is a good thing to do.

Prince Yamato
July 30, 2007, 07:30 PM
The fact that he told you he was a felon, probably means that he isn't out to get your stuff. A savvy criminal wouldn't mention that to you. He's battery charge was probably getting into a fight with another drug dealer or something.

As the short story says, "Good Fences, make good neighbors."

Dave Workman
July 30, 2007, 07:34 PM
Will:

Did your new neighbor say WHY he shot this guy? Any possibility that the guy had it coming, and your guy just happened to be in a county with the wrong prosecutor who Nifonged him?

I'm not too keen about the pot, but there are always two sides to a shooting. Sometimes three or four.

I'm not attempting to defend some twerp, but it would not be the first time some schmuck got wrongfully prosecuted for a crime that may not have been a crime. Perhaps you should find out a bit more, but that's just me talking.

I did a piece a while back about this illegal alien doper who shot and killed a guy. The guy had burst in on this fellow in what may have been a drug ripoff and cut loose, so our illegal alien returned fire and killed the guy.

It may have helped that the dead guy was a local scumbag with a long history and the cops and prosecutor weren't all that sorry to say good-bye. Anyway, the prosecutor declined to prosecute for murder, calling the shooting self-defense under our state law.

And now the rest of the story: The illegal is in jail anyway for multiple violations, including drugs, possession of the gun, being here illegally...he's not going anywhere.

Kali Endgame
July 30, 2007, 07:35 PM
A few years ago my parents had a child molester move in two houses up. Sex with a girl under 14. My little sister was 10 at the time. That really didn't go over well.

I feel for you, man, but it could be worse.

CWL
July 30, 2007, 07:37 PM
If I may point out that he's out so this means that he's served his time already. Starting off and calling him a "POS" and "scum bag" isn't right neighborly of you, you're probably sending vibes that the other guy can pick-up on.

It's probably best to simply stay clear of him/them, make sure you're armed and that your house/property is locked-up. I assume you own a safe?

kungfuhippie
July 30, 2007, 07:37 PM
Living next to a racist/felon...
I bet quite a few of us live next to one or both.
I'll get flamed for this...
My uncle is a Felon, for drug posession with intent to sell, that was a long time ago and he's not in any way a scumbag. He's worked hard at living a clean life. Has a job, a home, etc. He has no RKBA and still lives with his past every time he tries to get a job or some new neighbor hears some gossip.
Keep an eye on them, keep your valuables safe, just like you should anyway.
But driving them off etc. is what makes people like your new neighbor not reform but instead revert. He's paid his debt to society. Did you point out your dislike for him using racist words around you? I've done that, it works. Most people will watch what they say if you call them on it. Become the Alpha Neighbor it will help a lot.

Thain
July 30, 2007, 07:39 PM
Okay, so from the racial slur he sound's like he's probably a bit of an twerp... that said, he's a convicted felon with only one offense. Further, he served his sentence and "paid his debt to soceity."

I'm not saying I'd invite him over for Sunday dinner, mind you, but it seems that going out of your way to run him out of the neighborhood is just a bit a-hole-ish...

Leave him alone.

sammy
July 30, 2007, 07:45 PM
The good news is these scumbag types usually cant keep up with rent and wind-up moving alot. Just keep the landlord on speed dial with problems that come up.
In a few weeks I would make small talk with him about how you are going through hard times and needed to sell your guns. If he is looking for guns, at least he will look some where else.
Good luck to you, Sammy

Im283
July 30, 2007, 07:48 PM
baggy clothed kids(20's)...on this POS ....these scum bags....

baggy clothed sounds like most any college kid i see around UT.

As for the other comments, real High Road there. He may not be the brightest bulb in the fixture but you really do not know much about him.
Somewhere in a book it says something about judge not, lest you be judged.

Don't get me wrong, your new neighbor might be bad news but baggy clothes and a past that you really do not know the details about??
Maybe give him a chance, he might have learned his lesson.

As for the racist comments I agree with kungfuhippie, if he uses terms that bother you let him know.

Standing Wolf
July 30, 2007, 08:18 PM
One of my neighbors, noticing I carry openly, asked whether I knew anything about the Colorado concealed carry permit. I told him I sure do: I teach several courses that qualify people. Turns out he "got into a little trouble with some drugs a few years ago." He wasn't sure whether it was a misdemeanor or felony, but mentioned in passing he'd done several years in prison. Except for his motorcycle, which is in dire need of a muffler, he's a more or less okay guy. His kids are... Perhaps the less said, the better.

I didn't encourage him to apply for the permit.

Sistema1927
July 30, 2007, 08:23 PM
I wonder how many of your other neighbors are criminals?

While you are keeping the eagle eye on this guy there might be others sneaking in through your back door.

floridaboy
July 30, 2007, 08:23 PM
+1 on the mind your own business. If he's a convicted felon, he paid for his crime. I don't think our founders meant for people with a record to be punished in perpetuity. As long as he behaves, he should be free to live where he pleases.

Will Learn
July 30, 2007, 08:43 PM
Thanks for your comments I appreciate the input. As far as calling him a scum bag and the like I was just venting due to the eroding nature of my surroundings. The fact that he willingly offered up that fact that he "shot a big ******" and giggled about it surprised me. I was taken aback by the comment and therefore didn't comment on it during our brief(and first) conversation. These are my thoughts and I'm bringing them here for help to sort them out, so bear with me if I sound a little irrational.

I do own a very heavy RSC and am now thinking of bolting it to the foundation. I was respectful during the conversation and I'm am giving him/them a chance, but that doesn't mean I won't make observations about new people moving into my neighborhood. Now whether my comments where politically correct or not could be disputed but where theres smoke theres fire and where theres people that dress like gangsters theres usually the mindset of gangsters. I am a "college kid" and I don't dress like I'm having an Identity crisis but that could be argued too I suppose :) . I try not to generalize but I don't want to look at situations with blinders on and thats where I'm torn.

I went a few rounds with the heavy bag and am trying to look at the situation from a rational standpoint. Thanks for the help guys.

Kentak
July 30, 2007, 08:48 PM
I think if you go looking for trouble with this guy you'll find it. What counts is what he does now that he's across the street, not what he did before. As in any neighborhood, some people will have similar interests, lifestyles, and click and become best buds. Others will barely know their neighbors' names. Chances are you'll be in the later group with this guy.

There would be nothing wrong with acknowledging your new neighbors with a passing wave or greeting. If he invites you over to have a beer on the porch, I would go. You'll quickly find out where he's coming from. Obviously, you shouldn't discount what you know about this guy, but don't assume he hasn't changed his ways. The openly racist remark is disconcerting. Usually, someone isn't that blatant about his racism unless he thinks it's socially acceptable or something to be "in your face" about.

Anyway, keep a cautious eye out and play it by ear. Time will tell.

K

Nomad101bc
July 30, 2007, 08:50 PM
Served his time LMAO most criminals serve a fraction of thier sentance. Its been getting worse and worse thus we have higher crime rates. The only way he could serve a debt to society is to jion the military otherwise getting free meals with our tax dollars and an air conditioned cell does'nt cut as served a debt...Remain vigilant and trust him with nothing!

doubleg
July 30, 2007, 08:55 PM
This effects you how? If he isn't looking for problems don't give him any. Treat people how you wanna be treated.

Will Learn
July 30, 2007, 08:58 PM
I plan on "minding my own business" as I always do but I will also be aware of my situation as CDignition put it.

Floridaboy- Where those the same founders that branded criminal's right hands with their crime for ID purposes? I wonder why they had that in mind? I'm not very comfortable with our prison system's rehabilitation rate but with that being said I do understand people make mistakes(like me rushing to judgement) and should get a second chance(depending on what they did).

Thanks again for your opinions.

Dorryn
July 30, 2007, 09:01 PM
One crime does not predict another. Not all rapists are drug dealers, and vice versa. Aggravated assault does not mean he's going to be after your guns. Keep the vigilance to a maximum and the bias to a minimum, and youll be ok.

22_Shooter
July 30, 2007, 09:11 PM
+1 on some of the things mentioned: He's served his time & these things are in the past it would seem. I wouldn't think someone who is still looking to make trouble would tell his new neighbor he's a convicted felon for shooting someone. Sure, I'd say keep an eye out. But people do stupid stuff, but I don't think it should be held over their head for the rest of their life. People make mistakes, but can also change. You don't have to be friends with the guy if you don't want, just mind your business, and hope he minds his. If he doesn't, THEN make the necessary actions police wise...................and keep the shotty loaded and next to the bed:D.

Thain
July 30, 2007, 09:27 PM
Served his time LMAO most criminals serve a fraction of thier sentance. Its been getting worse and worse thus we have higher crime rates. The only way he could serve a debt to society is to jion the military otherwise getting free meals with our tax dollars and an air conditioned cell does'nt cut as served a debt...Remain vigilant and trust him with nothing!

Yep, someone has been reading his Starship Troopers... Only way to serve soceity is to join the military? Uh-huh.

He commited his crime, he was arrested, a jury of his peers convicted him, and he served his time.

According to this report (http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/pub/pdf/sc0201st.pdf), (Table 1.3) the average sentence length for Aggravated Assault is 37 months (3 years). "Other violent felonies" get an average of 33 months... This guy's conviction was for "Aggrivated Battery" which probably falls into the second category.

He has one conviction, so it was likly his first offense, and it was one year ago. (07/27/06).

So, he got into a fight and shot a guy... but the guy he shot apparently was no saint, so he only got charged with "Aggrivated Battery." He spent a year under lock and key, and is probably gogin to spend a few more years on probation.

That's the system, if you have a problem with it, run for office.

collateral
July 30, 2007, 09:32 PM
As long as you have a safe I wouldnt worry too much. He knows you can ID him, you know he is a felon. If he was planning anything I dont think he would have told you that he was a felon in the first place.
Instead of saying he couldnt own guns, I think he would have said that he doesnt like them or some other line.

Nomad101bc
July 30, 2007, 09:42 PM
Exactly my point this guy only served one year for shooting someone. I mean what the hell is wrong with our prision systems...At the rate were going i am going to need a P-90 as my self defense firearm. He served a third of of his sentance when in reality its attempted murder. I love and support the second amendment but those who do wrong by it and abuse it deserved to be punished to the fullest. I doubt it was self defense he was prolly pissed the dealer sold him stuff cut with too much oregano!

iiibdsiil
July 30, 2007, 09:46 PM
He'll probably end up being one of your better neighbors. My dad had a half-way house, and a lot of the guys were the type that really tried so hard to please those that they got close enough to, but not necessarily friends with. Usually you'll be the last person they'll bother too.

Hell, I'm 21, wear baggy clothes, we'll get drunk and make a ton of noise in the front yard, my 96 Impala is on 22s, sometimes I come in bumping some rap music at 2 a.m. But I'm a 3.5 GPA college student, on track to graduate on time, never been in trouble with the law, speak properly, and am one of the nicer guys you could meet. Looks can be deceiving.

With the racism thing, crap man, everyone is racist in one way or another, but to different extremes. Yeah, so it's a character flaw. Just remember if some black guy ever tries to break into your place, he'll probably take care of the situation ;)

You are just a little stirred up about everything. Yeah, he laughed about it all. At the time he did it, it probably wasn't a big deal to him, and I think that a lot of people have a hard time changing their view on things after the fact. I laugh about my ND, my buddies laugh about it, but that doesn't mean it didn't affect me. Sometimes you have to look at the humorous side of things because the negative side will eat you up. And some people deal with things differently.

And, if it makes anything better, just remember the state decided he was safe enough to be put back on the street, so he must be okay. :p

obxned
July 30, 2007, 09:49 PM
Not a happy situation - sleep with one eye open.

Kentak
July 30, 2007, 09:57 PM
I'm not saying I'd invite him over for Sunday dinner, mind you, but it seems that going out of your way to run him out of the neighborhood is just a bit a-hole-ish..

That sounds about right.

CNYCacher
July 30, 2007, 09:59 PM
I would be more inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt myself. As someone said before, he might have been Nifonged. Perhaps he was a gunny, albeit one with an unfortunate vocabulary, who got a bad rap in what was a borderline self defense case.

OTOH, your neighborhood could be going to hell in a handbasket, enjoy the ride.

Will Learn
July 30, 2007, 10:18 PM
Ok, I'm an a-hole, thanks for your help.:rolleyes: Let me repeat myself, My first comments were not that well thought out but if you understood the decline of my neighborhood you would understand my frustration. I'm sick of seeing the damn fugitive recovery force in my hood. I mean I guess it's good they're recovering them but I wish they didn't lose them to my area in the first place.

Save your insults, I've heard most of them before and am not impressed. If you want to offer your constructive advice then feel free but save your name calling for the school yard. THR is a diverse place and I respect everyones opinions so keep em' coming and I'll keep you posted.

Hardtarget
July 30, 2007, 10:21 PM
Remember this...any shooting...even what seems self defense...can be turned on you ( me, all of us) by a wrong headed prosecutor.

This guy may have been saddled with a no talent public defender and just got hung out to dry.

I'll hope for the best for you. Maybe his leagle trouble leveled his attitude and he is a better neighbor than first impression makes you think.

Mark.

thexrayboy
July 30, 2007, 10:23 PM
Two things come to mind.

This guy may or may not be trouble, hard to predict. Chances are though
that he has friends who may start spending time with him that could be even more trouble. Of he may be turning over a new leaf and dumped his old associates, time will tell.

Second, I would invest in a good quality camcorder and some tapes if you do not already own them. If the activities at his place give rise to concern you might document them. Recording the multiple goings and comings or any other suspicious activity can have uses in the future. You may also document evidence that may result in him having future dealings with a judge.

Or you may get lucky and he will lay low and behave. Plan for anything and pray for nothing.

Templar223
July 30, 2007, 10:36 PM
You know, so long as the guy has a job and minds his own business, what business is it of yours to want to cause him trouble?

So, he's a felon?

So, he's a prejudiced bigot?

Your intolerance of others suggests you are just prejudiced as well, especially as you acknowledge that you are "heated" and plotting to cause problems for the guy who has done nothing unlawful or inappropriate based upon what you wrote in your original post.

Suppose we take your original post and substitute "black" for "felon" and substitute another slur... what would we call your anger at that?

It's America. We could all go a lot further by showing a little more tolerance to other people's choices. If someone wants to be a bigot, well you know, that's their business.

Just because he's your neighbor doesn't mean you have to be best friends with him or play tonsil hockey or live together. It's just a neighbor.

You'd probably be a lot happier in the long run if you just kept a low profile and didn't go looking to make trouble for them. Because, they might just figure out you're the problem and make life miserable for you. After all, if they are the fringe criminal types, they don't care about the laws. You can't afford a felony if you like your guns.

John

Edit for spelling and to suggest you kill the slur in your post on the first page. While I'm not upset by it, I'm sure some thin-skinned types might not be as 'tolerant' of its use, even if it's not malicious.

ETA2: And no ill-will is meant by my critique of your first post.

Just try to show the same tolerance for others that you ask others to show. Intolerance of intolerance is a bit hypocritical.

MT GUNNY
July 30, 2007, 10:46 PM
chuck norris

Are you for real??

unrealtrip
July 30, 2007, 10:54 PM
I trust everyone until they give me a reason not to.

You are aware of the situation, that's a good thing, leave it at that and stay frosty.

MudPuppy
July 30, 2007, 11:03 PM
I'd not cut him ANY slack--served his time? Yeah, sounds like he's all straightend out, with the racist comments to someone HE JUST MET.

Here's the deal with dirtbags like this--he got caught for one thing, that doesn't mean he only did one crime. And you know who dirtbags have for friends? Dirtbags. And you know who's going to be visiting your dirtbag neighbor? Dirtbags. And you know what might come up in conversation? Maybe while you're not at home? "Guy over in that house is all into guns."

Oh, and guess who's going to be likely to buy or rent in a neighborhood with a dirtbag living there? Dirtbags.

I'm all for second chances. But if you're choosing to use your second chance going on and giggling about how you shot a big ole N..., then you're not a useful member of society.

Watch him close and get the neighbors involved and ride him like a pony. Stop by the police station and introduce yourself and let them know your the good guy so if they do need to come to your neighborhoor they'll be up to speed.

unrealtrip
July 30, 2007, 11:07 PM
At my last home there was a dude with a shaved head and "WHITE POWER" tatt'd across his chest, I know, cause I saw the cat walking down the street with his shrirt off once. I was there for a year and I never had to deal with him. His scumbag friends would come over, they'd get drunk, screw around, now and again the cops would show up, but I honestly had no problem with the dude. He never gave me **** and I never said a word to him.

Now, the middle eastern dude acrross the street was a punk a$$ mofo. He would park his car in front of my house, every damn day for no reason other than to piss me off. I'd watch him pull up, park out front of my pad, then walk across the street to his place. All the while there was plenty of street space out front of his place.

I don't do PC, I do reality and what I see.

doubleg
July 30, 2007, 11:08 PM
I'd not cut him ANY slack--served his time? Yeah, sounds like he's all straightend out, with the racist comments to someone HE JUST MET.

Ever heard of this thing called the 1st Amendment? Anyways he just spent time in jail and probably had to join a white skinhead gang to keep from getting beat up every day or killed. But chances are he'll be back in jail before you know it, most felons do something stupid and get throw right back in.

Nomad101bc
July 30, 2007, 11:09 PM
I second mudpuppy's post. As i said earlier the shooting was most likely not self defense he was prolly pissed the dealer sold him stuff cut with too much oregano! F.Y.I. stuff they cut pot with so its cheaper and not as powerful.

eric.cartman
July 30, 2007, 11:13 PM
If I may point out that he's out so this means that he's served his time already.
You aren't paying attention...
1 ct AGGRAVATED BATTERY - INTENTIONAL, BODILY HARM-F 07 on 07/27/06
One year and 2 days ago? And what is he doing NOT IN JAIL for an aggravated battery???:fire::fire::fire:

joab
July 30, 2007, 11:26 PM
Guy sounds like a poser to me

His felony is supposedly shooting someone but he gets less than one year if anything at all

That's the same charge I got for punching a guy at a football game
I only got out of it because my father was willing to pay a lawyer what it took to work his magic

The kid may be a racist or he may have been trying to impress the redneck gunowner (you know we all are )

I would be more worried about this poser than I would be a real criminal

And what is he doing NOT IN JAIL for an aggravated battery?I got six months deferred prosecution at which point I would have gotten six months if I had not joined the military

My wife's recent attacker got three years probation and an impulse management seminar

kungfuhippie
July 30, 2007, 11:32 PM
If you want to offer your constructive advice then feel free but save your name calling for the school yard.
Ok,
move to the middle of nowhere, where you can have a range in the back yard.
That will keep people that you don't like far enough away.

Not a joke. This is my plan. Graduate, get a job in some low population state with out "hippieitis" and buy twice as big a chunk of land as I can afford.

Old Dog
July 30, 2007, 11:32 PM
The general skepticism with which most posters in this thread seem to view the OP's neighbor's "rehabilitation," whether or not he's truly served his time and paid his debt to society ...

... strike me as particularly ironic when I recall so many previous threads on this forum in which so many posters called for convicted felons, when released from prison, to have the right to keep and bear arms restored ...

Just NIMBY, right?

joab
July 30, 2007, 11:34 PM
He can own a gun and vote for all I care, but I'm still watching my lawn mower around the posers

target1911
July 30, 2007, 11:39 PM
Remember this...any shooting...even what seems self defense...can be turned on you ( me, all of us) by a wrong headed prosecutor.

This guy may have been saddled with a no talent public defender and just got hung out to dry.

I'll hope for the best for you. Maybe his leagle trouble leveled his attitude and he is a better neighbor than first impression makes you think.

Mark.

This may be very true and yes there is always another side to the story....BUT

what has me concerned is the kids tone of voice and demeaner as he made his comments. Sounds to me like he was braging and just informing. I would try to keep the peace and give him a small chance but do keep an eye on him.
Good Luck

eric.cartman
July 30, 2007, 11:39 PM
My wife's recent attacker got three years probation and an impulse management seminar

Must be the whole enlightened justice at work, ha? Your wife's attacker should... well, you KNOW EXACTLY what.

Sorry, but i do believe in cruel and unusual punishment.. sometimes.

akodo
July 30, 2007, 11:41 PM
eventually, criminals get out of jail. They have to live somewhere. Unfortunately, that may be near to you.

phaed
July 30, 2007, 11:55 PM
I hope your guns are stored in a safe
+1

The fact that he told you he was a felon, probably means that he isn't out to get your stuff. A savvy criminal wouldn't mention that to you. He's battery charge was probably getting into a fight with another drug dealer or something.
he's not a saavy criminal, he's even worse...a stupid one. anyone that would brag about that crap, and embelish it, obviously hasn't learned any lessons. it's bad that he knows you have guns.

jt1
July 31, 2007, 12:23 AM
Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. The guy sounds like a real loser. I wish it was as simple as he made a mistake, served his time and now everyone lives happily ever after. I am getting real tired of hearing everyday of someone being robbed, raped, kindnapped, murdered or whatever by folks who have prior violent records and are now out on the street. I don't claim to have the answers, but what we are doing now isn't working that well. Share the high road with those who deserve it, be preparied to take a detour with those who don't.

LightningJoe
July 31, 2007, 12:31 AM
You were there. You talked to the guy. I wasn't. But it sounds like you got a bad impression.

The fact that he bragged to you about his crime is a very, very bad sign. If he brags about being a felon and shooting a black guy and laughs about being a "shooter", it sounds like you've got a full-blown problem across the street.

Definitely stay away from him. Show no weakness. Don't be friendly. Don't give him a millimeter. Don't have any chinks in your armor. Be ready for a fight at any time. Survive the encounter and put him back in the jug.

Or move away. If you're renting, that might be good option.

chingon
July 31, 2007, 12:39 AM
So we have some new neighbors(renters) moving in across the street, I noticed them moving stuff in earlier today. I must admit I was a little concerned to see these baggy clothed kids(20's) moving their stuff into the house but that was only the beginning.

So I go about my day and I get a call from one of my friends who says he found a rifle case at his house and asked if I wanted it. He proceeded to bring it over and we visited on my patio for a few minutes. When he leaves I hear him talking with my new neighbor(they went to high school together), so I went to introduce myself.

We get through the formalities and he asks "so your into guns?" I guess he saw my friend bring the gun case in from his car. I replied that I enjoy shooting, but withheld my inner gunfreak. I asked him if he did any shooting and he replied that he didn't, because he was a FELON. He then goes on to tell me that he shot a big black(he used a racial slur) guy, so he said I could call him a shooter and then giggled.

Needless to say I am not happy about this and plan on contacting the owner. I am still processing this at the moment and am still heated. I call my friend after he leaves to get some background on this POS and he told me that when he went to high school w/ him he was a G'd up pot dealer. I'm not as worried about the whole pot thing as much as him being a felon and racist. I plan on keeping my eyes on these folks and keeping my distance as well. My neighborhood is turning into crap and I'm mad as hell about it .

Oh I found his felony conviction on public access - 1 ct AGGRAVATED BATTERY - INTENTIONAL, BODILY HARM-F 07 on 07/27/06 I'm not trying to start a war with these scum bags but would like to get them out of here. I guess I'll give them a chance but document anything they do that disrupts the "hood."

I feel your pain. We have had bad neighbors a few times. The first neighbors of the house accross the street from us. A young guy bought it and they partied all the time with cars all over the place. They would even wind up fighting in the street in the middle of the night. He would yell that nobody would do anything to him because his uncle was a police LT. and he was pretty much right. The city police would do nothing, but everyone just kept calling the cops till finally he left. It was about a year.

Next the house next to ours was bought by someone that rented it out. They rented it twice to crackheads and the cops were pretty much worthless in this case also. I even tried to press charges when the last guy threatened me but neither the cops or DA would do anything. I guarantee he would have been sorry if he had followed through on the thread as I was carrying. We just kept calling the cops on them and most importantly we hounded the people renting it out. Finally the sold it and nice people live there now. They owned it a couple of years. The guy renting it out had a business downtown and we threatened to picket his store. That's what motivated him the most. They were both had a lot of drug traffic in and out of the house, but the cops wouldn't do anything. The last guy had aids, I figure from sharing needles because he had a family. Neither worked but they bought a ton of stuff.

My best recommendations are to call the cops immediately if necessary, and hope they are not as worthless as they are here. Next call the people renting it constantly if necessary, have attorneys call for you also. The most important thing get others on the street to stick together as we did.

Geno
July 31, 2007, 12:44 AM
More concerned Re: the racism than the assault.

We had a felon move in next door, and the man actually turned out be a half decent human being. He never stole anything. He beat a guy near to death for attacking and trying to molest his little sister...as in "caught-in-the-act"! The excess of the attack is why he went to prison for 18 months. His landlord had known him near all his life and so still rented to him. So, we even invited he, his wife and child to dine with us as well the landlord (neighbor) from which he rented the upstairs.

Trust but confirm. Just because I, as a Christian, believe in forgiveness does not mean I will not be vigilant. Or better stated, just because I turn the other cheek doesn't mean I'll take my eyes off them.

Be safe, and be fair. Do not cause undue trouble for him, nor allow undue risks to your family. In closing, when we moved, I hired him to help me move. I took the firearms and ammo, etc, the day prior, and he helped with everything else.

Will Learn
July 31, 2007, 01:33 AM
I found out, from a friend that he was robbed at gunpoint while selling pot and shot one of the robbers as he ran. My friend who knows(through friends) the guy said he still smokes pot but has a kid and has chilled out. I didn't see any kids around but I hope this is true(not the pot part). Theres not much I can do at this point except watch for repeat behavior.

Oh and I'll make sure to keep the :Dphone:D near in case I need help.

Nomad101bc
July 31, 2007, 02:09 AM
Well I dont see why its not legal to beat your little sister's molester within inches of his life. Kinda your right if you ask me we had a guy around here who found out his neighbor molested his daughter so he stabbed him to death with a kitchen knife and CT decided to only make him serve two years. I dont see why he had to serve any in that case he is doing a society a favour sparing us from a serial molester.

kungfuhippie
July 31, 2007, 02:11 AM
So, just don't rob him and you should be ok :neener:
I bet the kid doesn't live with him...but he gets to visit if he stays straight.
That can be a real motivator.:)

Beagle-zebub
July 31, 2007, 02:26 AM
Hm.

I'd get to know him a little better, just to have a better idea of whether or not he's a threat.

TimboKhan
July 31, 2007, 04:35 AM
The fact that he willingly offered up that fact that he "shot a big ******" and giggled about it surprised me.

I don't want to sound like I am condoning racist comments in any way, but welcome to the world, man. In Colorado, African-American racism is relatively rare, but being racist towards Mexicans is a very common occurence. Usually, it's couched in something, like "Oh, you don't want to move to that part of town, it's full of Mexicans", but it isn't at all uncommon to hear far worse than that. Interestingly, it's a problem that seems to cover all parts of society. A redneck is just as likely to say something as a socialite, in other words.

aaronrkelly
July 31, 2007, 05:04 AM
I absolutely LOVE to hear posts like these:

"This effects you how? If he isn't looking for problems don't give him any. Treat people how you wanna be treated."

"+1 on the mind your own business. If he's a convicted felon, he paid for his crime. I don't think our founders meant for people with a record to be punished in perpetuity. As long as he behaves, he should be free to live where he pleases."

Its the reason I like this place. Assumptions arent made, conclusions arent jumped to and people are treated fairly until they give a reason not to.

Thank you all, from a pierced, tattooed and baggy pants wearing NRA Life Member. Im not a Felon, I actually work in law enforcement but ALOT of people out there would lump me in the same group as this guys neighbor based on my appearance (and perhaps actions if you didnt know me).

Love this place.....

Thain
July 31, 2007, 07:33 AM
As a certain politician that (most of us) remember (mostly) fondly once said: "Trust but verify."

(And to clarify, I wasn't calling you a "complete donkey," I was refering to the propossal of many in this thread suggestign that you do everyhting possibel to run him out of the neighborhood.)

Ithaca37
July 31, 2007, 07:52 AM
He's served his time & these things are in the past it would seem.
+1 Give it sometime. He has paid his debt to society and he should be treated the same as everyone else.

This effects you how? If he isn't looking for problems don't give him any. Treat people how you wanna be treated.
+1

The only way he could serve a debt to society is to jion the military otherwise getting free meals with our tax dollars and an air conditioned cell does'nt cut as served a debt...Remain vigilant and trust him with nothing!
When did all of this militarism take over the US? If I have to hear one more person say that the only way to do something for your country is to join the military .....

Some food for thought on the subject of the military:
Alexander Hamilton: "...that standing army can never be formidable (threatening) to the liberties of the people, while there is a large body of citizens, little if at all inferior to them in the use of arms." (Federalist Paper #29)

Rep. Elbridge Gerry of Massachusetts: "What, sir, is the use of a militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty." Rep. of Massachusetts, I Annals of Congress at 750 (August 17, 1789).

rantingredneck
July 31, 2007, 07:56 AM
As others have said be vigilant.

Had a similar situation happen years ago when I was still living at home with my parents. A neighbor who owned several rental properties in the same neighborhood rented to a fellow who he knew had just got out of prison, but thought it was for assault with a deadly weapon. The story he told was one where he was attacked and counterattacked with force found to be excessive at trial. Seemed like a nice enough fellow, just got a raw deal. So he lived there for about six or eight months before his story started unravelling. Turns out he had actually served time for molestation of young children. And I'm not talking about a case of teenage intercourse where the guy gets prosecuted either. He was in his 20's and this was young children. Needless to say we no longer had anything to do with him and he moved shortly after. I made it VERY clear to him that he was not welcome on our property. Sounds like you've done the prudent thing by verifying the charges already. Our situation was before the age of the internet so it was a bit more difficult to confirm, took a couple trips to the county sheriff's office.

A few years ago my parents had a child molester move in two houses up. Sex with a girl under 14. My little sister was 10 at the time. That really didn't go over well.

I feel for you, man, but it could be worse.

In NC, and I'm sure most other states, there are online databases with maps that you can look this kind of information up. I'm glad I did, and then again I wish I never had. Even out here in the sticks you'd be surprised how many live within 2 miles of me. :mad:

ptmmatssc
July 31, 2007, 08:26 AM
I would invest in a good quality camcorder and some tapes if you do not already own them. If the activities at his place give rise to concern you might document them. Recording the multiple goings and comings or any other suspicious activity can have uses in the future.

Yup , good idea. Heck , we should have cameras trained on ALL our neighbors houses , just in case . Matter of fact , with that way of thinking , my neighbor should have a camera pointed at MY house considering how often guns come and go in view of them , and I look like a "dirty biker" .:rolleyes:
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j35/ptmmatssc/1111.jpg

I find it interesting that peoples responses jump right to the conclusion that a "felon" is automatically a thief,troublemaker , and perpetual repeat offender. I don't know this guy , so he could be a "dirtbag" , yet , he could also be a decent guy . I would judge him by his actions , not his "attire" etc . .

There are a few felons in my neighborhood and they know that I know them and their past . Never have a problem with them . The "problems" I have had have come from the ones that don't have a criminal record (yet) and are from the more affluent families of the area . Things are not always as they appear .

gunsmith
July 31, 2007, 08:30 AM
he may think using racial slurs is cool, I hear kids say it all the time and they are not racist but trying to talk like hip hop rap stars or something.
I do my level best to keep all baggy/saggy types out of my cab,(black or white) if they dress and talk like a gang member they may decide to act like one too.
I wouldn't try to kick him out of your neighborhood, if he messes up or wakes you up with that loud rap music then you have a good reason.

Citroen
July 31, 2007, 08:40 AM
I think many people would be surprised at the number of convicted criminals that are out and about. Most go through each day just like the rest of us do. Some, however, never change their ways.

A bad neighbor is a real unpleasant situation but it would seem to me that the best course of action would be to just we aware and wait and see. It could be that this guy will turn out to be a really great neighbor - never bother anybody and be the first to offer help when needed. At this point you don't know!

Language is often more a sign of education or lack there-of than of deeper feelings - there are lots of people who throw out some pretty profane words which are offensive to some of us. Personally I get bent out of shape with a few of the four letter words that seem to be standard for many people. Yes, I am not shy about letting them know that too.

You were there and it is your neighborhood but it would appear that just paying attention, using normal caution and, perhaps, even stopping and chatting with the guy once in a while might be a good course of action.

You never know, he could turn out to be the best neighbor you have!

John
Charlotte, NC

offthepaper
July 31, 2007, 08:55 AM
Sometimes it's good to forgive...............Often though, it's foolish to completely forget.
Be polite, be a good neighbor (until you can get a better "read" on him), but be cautious. If he's a *********, it won't take long to figure it out.

frank23185
July 31, 2007, 08:59 AM
:barf:I have found that absentee landlords rarely care about the harm they do to a neighborhood by renting to undesireables.

buck00
July 31, 2007, 09:06 AM
Hold your friends close and your enemies even closer

I have to admit, this guy did tell you straight up he was a felon. He was honest with you. I would be more worried if he didn't mention it. A felon with a half a brain would NOT break into his neighbor's house, because the cops would obviously come down on him hard during the investigation. Way too much risk/heat.

I agree with the posts, remain vigilant, monitor, but I would stress you don't want to provoke him.

The most foolish thing you can do is to call the cops once or twice a week if his stereo is playing a bit loud or if "guys in baggy pants" are visiting. Don't overreact like a grandma who calls the cops every time the neighbor has a party. Why? That is a good way to create antagonism (and possible harassment/retaliation) when it can be easily avoided. Keep things neutral.

I would be quiet, keep a low profile, and simply monitor things. :scrutiny:

jerkface11
July 31, 2007, 09:12 AM
He shot someone who was robbing him at gunpoint. OMG No one on THR would EVER advocate such actions. Anyone who would should be run out of town on a rail!!!!

ozwyn
July 31, 2007, 09:33 AM
Be respectful, be polite, keep your house secured and your eyes open.

The more polite, respectful and direct you are, the fewer issues you will have. Project the simple truth that as long as your interests are not bothered you will not interfere with anyone else's interests.

Anything that happens after that becomnes of consequence of the other party and their decision making process. That's just how to live with neighbors of any kind IMO.

budney
July 31, 2007, 09:33 AM
Its the reason I like this place. Assumptions arent made, conclusions arent jumped to and people are treated fairly until they give a reason not to.

+1

However, it sounds from the original post as if the guy was bragging about his crime. That, plus the overt racism, are good reasons to be vigilant.

--Len.

joab
July 31, 2007, 10:08 AM
He then goes on to tell me that he shot a big black(he used a racial slur) guy,
1 ct AGGRAVATED BATTERY - INTENTIONAL, BODILY HARM-F 07 on 07/27/06

Still doesn't add up
I'm still leaning towards poser

kungfuhippie
July 31, 2007, 11:57 AM
What's with all this "be vigil" stuff? So if a felon doesn't move into your neighborhood you can just be a bliss ninny? Nothing should change. You should always be on the look out for suspicious activity no matter who you live next to. If all of the sudden a new neighbor makes you want to make security changes, then those changes are long overdue anyway.

Deanimator
July 31, 2007, 12:09 PM
Be respectful, be polite, keep your house secured and your eyes open.

The more polite, respectful and direct you are, the fewer issues you will have. Project the simple truth that as long as your interests are not bothered you will not interfere with anyone else's interests.

Anything that happens after that becomnes of consequence of the other party and their decision making process. That's just how to live with neighbors of any kind IMO.
I find that ignoring people and not talking to them at all works best.

Odds are, they've got nothing to say I want to hear anyway...

Deanimator
July 31, 2007, 12:12 PM
What's with all this "be vigil" stuff? So if a felon doesn't move into your neighborhood you can just be a bliss ninny? Nothing should change. You should always be on the look out for suspicious activity no matter who you live next to. If all of the sudden a new neighbor makes you want to make security changes, then those changes are long overdue anyway.

If I saw lions in my neighborhood, that would cause me to react differently than to squirrels or even to pitbulls.

Remember, the Army sees a difference between "contact with the enemy unlikely", "contact with the enemy possible but unlikely", and "contact with the enemy highly likely".

budney
July 31, 2007, 12:23 PM
I find that ignoring people and not talking to them at all works best. Odds are, they've got nothing to say I want to hear anyway...

You'd think that would work! In at least one case, though, I knew some neighbors who were so nebby (http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/nebby) that they obsessed over our doings. Their lack of information became the basis of all sorts of amazing fantasies. Eventually, because of all the sick, twisted things we were doing nowhere but in their minds, they developed an active dislike of us. Finally, hating us became their religion.

But I guess you can't win when you have psychos for neighbors.

--Len.

Justin
July 31, 2007, 12:49 PM
This one's pretty well run it's course.

If you enjoyed reading about "New neighbor a felon" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!