Ram hunting in Texas

PDA

phantomak47
July 30, 2007, 10:35 PM
After reading positive reviews about the outfitter listed below, I am thinking about going on a ram hunt at this ranch. From what I have read along with experiances with from Highroaders, I am pretty sure that his whitetail,hog and rams are not high fence.

I have never hunted rams before, only whitetail. What are they like to hunt etc.?

Thinking about using my savage 99 in .300 savage 150s......Thoughts?

If you enjoyed reading about "Ram hunting in Texas" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
kevin davis
July 30, 2007, 11:32 PM
what outfitter?

phantomak47
July 30, 2007, 11:40 PM
http://www.dosplumasranch.com/

H&Hhunter
July 31, 2007, 01:01 AM
From the dosplumas web site;

Our hunts are stand hunting only and will be conducted from quad pods
and ground blinds. We run a feed route twice daily.

Hard Horned Exotics Blackbuck or Fallow

Rams Angora, Black Hawaiian, Four Horn Goat, Texas Doll,
Painted Desert, Barbadoe or Corisican

Phantom,

If this ranch is not high fenced how do they keep all of these exotic rams from wandering off?

PS

There is nothing wrong with high fenced exotic hunting as long as there is enough acerage and cover for these animals to roam and enough habitat and feed so that they can care for themselves.

I prefer walking and stalking to a blind hunt. But it does sound reasonable enough for the prices.

MCgunner
July 31, 2007, 10:15 AM
I've seen high fenced ranches that were little more than shooting pets in a zoo for exotics. I was hog hunting, wouldn't even think about "hunting" (very loose use of the term) exotics on such a place.

Nathanael_Greene
July 31, 2007, 10:15 AM
H&H--I've hunted there twice, and it is not high fenced. I don't know why the exotics stick around, but they do. (One reason might be that the surrounding properties are mostly either cultivated or pasture, so there's no cover. A lot of Allen's 1500 acres is thick cover.) When I've been there for hog hunts, I've had blackbuck and sheep come right to the feeder, then wander off.

If anyone has any doubts or questions, I strongly suggest calling Allen, the owner, and just talking with him. He's very friendly, straightforward, and honest. (He's also a world-class turkey caller, which I witnessed first-hand.)

He set out to provide quality, affordable hunts, and he's done exactly that.

phantomak47
July 31, 2007, 10:34 AM
Mcgunner, what you said is exactly what I DONT want, I found a lot of websites that are just that, pens for shooting game animals. The first place I ever hunted was a 2800 acre lease in rural Alabama that had absoultely no deer on it, I saw more deer scouting another lease in south Texas and what I saw in 4 hours was more than I did in almost 3 months in Alabama. In fact I had set up my college classes around hunting that season, often hunting 40 hours a week. I ended up shooting a small buck and that was it. To me hunting isn't shooting penned animals, although not all high fence is bad, most of the times it is here in Texas.

NG, is the one that actually lead me to this ranch, due to the price and the fact that its freerange, I am interested in hunting there.

Also what are rams like to hunt compared to say a whitetail?

H&Hhunter
July 31, 2007, 11:11 AM
Phantom,

Hunting wild rams in open wild sheep country is very challenging. Hunting anything from a Quad-pod or a ground blind over a bait is simply sitting and waiting for something to show up. It is simply luck of the draw if you will.

I've got nothing against it but it isn't truly "ram" hunting. Wild sheep hunting involves steep climbs foul weather, snow storms, blazing deserts, sore feet,shin splints, heaving lungs and long shots in horrible conditions.

While this is probably fun for a weekend it is what it is. Either a ram shows up at a feeder and you shoot it. Or not.

The web site specifically says that the ONLY hunting allowed is from a blind or a quad pod. IE sit and wait.

Big Daddy K
July 31, 2007, 11:20 AM
I thought High Fence was to keep unwanted animales more than keeping desired animales in.

Art Eatman
July 31, 2007, 01:07 PM
Yeah, for 99% of high-fence ranches, it's to keep other critters from overloading the improved habitat. "Keep the rabbits out of the garden".

MCgunner
July 31, 2007, 01:18 PM
Excellent pricing. I'd consider the hog hunts there and that's the best I've seen on exotics.

hankpac
July 31, 2007, 01:25 PM
some places will have a high fence around the entire property, but no high fences to make pens. Kindof stretching a point.
Even if there are NO high fences on theproperty, the reason the animals stay there is the feeding routes. It's easier to feed there than to browse elswhere.
This is nothing more than shooting over bait, and not really hunting.
Take a book and a sack lunch.

Nathanael_Greene
July 31, 2007, 05:55 PM
If you go to Dos Plumas, be sure to ask about varmint hunting. It's no extra charge, pretty exciting, and there are plenty of coyotes and bobcats around.

If a complete novice like me could call in two coyotes, you know they're plentiful. (I'll be better prepared next time I go.)

T.R.
July 31, 2007, 08:43 PM
Thompson Temple knows where to find the big rams + he is a very pleasant Christian fellow, too. You should contact him with your expectations and needs.

www.thompsontemple.texaswildlife.net

Good ram hunting to you.
TR

If you enjoyed reading about "Ram hunting in Texas" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!