Buy Taurus at your own risk, customer service is a joke, quality has gone down

PDA

Reed1911
July 31, 2007, 03:04 PM
Okay, I'm ticked and I'm going to shout it to everyone I know. Taurus has flat out lied to me and jerked me around like a child. Little background, we used to sell about 10-15 Taurus guns a month, not a lot but enough. Ever since this little problem I've pulled them and returned the ones that I could to the Dist. house. I told this to Taurus and they could give a crap less, not exactly those words but close enough, really! So my stance is now that I cannot sell Taurus products to my customers and lie to them telling them they are good guns and if anything goes wrong it will be fixed.

Here we go, I got a .41 Mag Tracker in and the crown was totally off center and there was a gouge in the barrel. Called Taurus and asked for a call tag to have it picked up and repaired, they tell me no I'd have to ship it in and send a copy of the invoice and they would refund me the amount. Sent it in and called to fax the invoice in, then they say "No, we usually send call tags" Wait a frigging minute! You told me last week that you didn't do that! "I'm sorry sir, you must have misunderstood" Misunderstood hell YOU LIED!!!!

Okay, I wait the needed eight weeks, get it back with a target and a service order showing "NO PROBLEM FOUND"
HUH?! How blind can they be?! So I call to complain and am told that I'd have to speak to Robert the service manager, he's not in and I have to leave a message and the gal told me she'd also give him a written message; he should be back in about a half-hour. Okay, so I wait a few hours, no call. Try to call him back, still not in. Okay, so I wait all Friday, all Monday, and half of today Tuesday. Call again, and get Richard, he won't transfer me to him but takes all the info and tells me that there is no record of my S/H invoice and no notes in the file. I tell him about our new policy about not selling Taurus due to this incident and we are awaiting it to be cleared up. Silence......"well sir that is your business" Well forget you too! Ask to speak to Robert (service manager) nope, he's too busy I'm told.
So here we are now, they are sending a call tag and I'll update you all on the progress of this little situation. But my position is, if as a dealer we cannot get a brand new gun that was defective from the factory fixed, how can a guy that has something broken get his fixed? What kind of crappy service will he receive? They obviously don;t care about the customers and it looks like the quality is going back to how it was in the '80's and early '90's.
http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=123083.0;attach=4260;image
http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=123083.0;attach=4262;image
http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=123083.0;attach=4264;image

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=123083.0;attach=4266;image

If you enjoyed reading about "Buy Taurus at your own risk, customer service is a joke, quality has gone down" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
lee n. field
July 31, 2007, 03:10 PM
Here we go, I got a .41 Mag Tracker in and the crown was totally off center and there was a gouge in the barrel.

You got it from a distributor, right? Why didn't you return it there?

03Shadowbob
July 31, 2007, 03:13 PM
Sorry to hear that. However, my 5 Taurus pistols have all been excellent firearms. I guess I am the lucky one. :rolleyes:

Reed1911
July 31, 2007, 03:14 PM
It was the last one and they had no more on order. My thought was, ship it back, Taurus would either re-crown it and cut the gouge out in the process, or replace the barrel outright. Simple fix, I was told 4-6 weeks for repair.

Vonderek
July 31, 2007, 03:50 PM
Not the first thread of this nature I've read. I live very close to the Miami headquarters and was told by customer service I couldn't bring the handgun in for service...the only way to get a handgun there for repair was overnight shipping. So off to FedEx I went to spend $$$ to send it a couple miles. It's been at Taurus now 6 weeks and I found out today it has not gone in for repair yet. "Should be done by end of next week." I'm crossing my fingers but not holding my breath.

jerkface11
July 31, 2007, 03:54 PM
I REALLY want one of their pump rifles. However I'm not buying one till they fix their customer service. Looks like I won't be buying one for quite some time.

03Shadowbob
July 31, 2007, 04:50 PM
I agree with all the bad press they get due to customer service which is a shame. Why let the easiest part of your business become the biggest downfall of your business? I really feel that Taurus has come a long way in regards to fit/finish and reliability but it is apparent that they now need to focus on the CS part. They really should take it to heart.

Carl N. Brown
July 31, 2007, 05:11 PM
May be they could ask Hi-Point for pointers on customer service.

Ford
July 31, 2007, 08:40 PM
just report them to the BBB of south Florida, thats what I did about 3-4 yrs ago. I see they still havent improved.

Golddog
July 31, 2007, 10:00 PM
Interesting, innovative designs. But quality control and service have always been problematic, so I've never understood why people are willing to gamble their money with Taurus.

doc2rn
July 31, 2007, 10:28 PM
I called to get 2 grip screws and was told they where out of stock. Ok I then asked for new mag release spring, same. If they dont have parts how can they fix anything.

MudPuppy
July 31, 2007, 10:57 PM
I really like Taurus firearms, but hearing things like this will make me take a pause when considering another.

It's too bad, but if they're selling all they can make maybe they just don't give a rat's patooty.

Troutman
July 31, 2007, 10:59 PM
<<Taurus has flat out lied to me and jerked me around like a child.>>
And
<<live very close to the Miami headquarters and was told by customer service I couldn't bring the handgun in for service...the only way to get a handgun there for repair was overnight shipping.>>

What's going on their!

Taurus gunsmiths

http://journey.k12.hi.us/sbu/footsteps/images/gunsmith_000.jpg

gezzer
July 31, 2007, 11:17 PM
You got it from a distributor, right? Why didn't you return it there?

Easy answer, Distributors do not handle warranty work, sorry but that is how it works.

Troutman
August 1, 2007, 12:21 AM
Good and bad

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=279369

Spider Pig
August 1, 2007, 12:25 AM
yes, taurus does disappoint quite a bit, but only those who expected something from them in the first place.

Old Dog
August 1, 2007, 01:03 AM
yes, taurus does disappoint quite a bit, but only those who expected something from them in the first place.

Gee, first post, and already bashing Taurus.

Might I suggest next up: cops, Wal-Mart, 1911s, California ...

I'm gonna go out a buy some Powerball tickets tonight, seeing as how I'm so lucky, having owned several worthy Taurus handguns, both revolvers and semi-autos, and -- inexplicably -- having experienced excellent customer service from this manufacturer. Hmm ...

snowsurfer
August 1, 2007, 01:03 AM
:banghead:My 24/7pro .40 has been there for 10 weeks now. I called 2 weeks ago and was told it would ship out in 2 days. I called 2 days later to see if it had shipped and was told that it hadn't been repaired yet and they were waiting for a new slide. Now I'm pretty po'd as they have had my gun longer than I have, and they don't seem to know *** is going on either.
I know there's some folks here happy with thier taurus products, but it seems that anyone who has to have fixed gets jerked around pretty good:cuss:
I will never ever buy another taurus product. Period. (is that redundant?):banghead:

Shweboner
August 1, 2007, 04:07 AM
What's going on their!:uhoh:

With grammar like that... you have no room to trash anyone.:banghead:

But seriously, I have owned several Taurus firearms and they have all been perfect for me, even after reading all the horror stories, especially about the new Gauchos... I BOUGHT ONE! My new Gaucho is awesome, just as I anticipated. I trust their stuff 100%

I cant speak for the CS, as their stuff has never failed me.

finalcut
August 1, 2007, 04:16 AM
Gee, first post, and already bashing Taurus.

Might I suggest next up: cops, Wal-Mart, 1911s, California ...

So what's your point? Does he need to go through a special right of passage - perhaps one created by you? The information in his post is useful, and may help make other people aware of a problem that they would like to know about.
He's frustrated - we all get that way. Still, he never got out of line....

Sounds like Taurus asked for the bashing, and the fact that he can't go against his good conscious by selling customers a product that he doesn't feel good about says some good about him in my book.

aaronrkelly
August 1, 2007, 04:41 AM
Ive had a similar experience - took around 5 months to get my gun back and I had to start legal action.

Taurus is a joke - no more Taurii for me.

Troutman
August 1, 2007, 07:03 AM
<<I will not buy another Taurus product even with the life time guarantee, it my take a lifetime to get it fixed.>>

<>I heard, "only 2 more weeks" for 6 months before I had enough.>>

<<I'm sure there are decent quality firearms from them but if you ever have a problem with it, you may wait your "Lifetime" to get it back.>>

<<Your literally going to have to brow beat your gun out of them. Just remember that next time your buying guns.

Took me 6 months to get my gun back.....>>

<<They kept telling me they were waiting for a part from Brazil and it would be 2 weeks, I heard this for close to 6 months.>>

<<They promptly sent me a replacement gun.

However it was also defective, I sold it at a loss.

Keep calling.....document, take names.....perhaps take recordings. Mark my words you will hear "2 more weeks" again......and again......and most likely again.>>

<<In real-life this is how it often plays out:
1. The owner sends them the gun.
2. They make excuses until the owner is dead.
3. They eventually (fix?) the gun and sell it used.
4. Repeat steps 1 thru 3, etc., etc, etc.>>

<<was even planning on purchasing another Taurus for C&C. After the poor Customer Service that I've received, I will not purchase another Taurus, and will get rid of this one once (if) I ever get it fixed.>>

<<Taurus generaly makes good guns, but their parts / logistics support has GOT to get better than this. Mylanta, we are talking about a $4.85 part that they should have in stock.>>

<<You have come along way!
You have increased Quality, Fit, & Finish
Now FINISH the job and do your CUSTOMER SUPPORT....I can only defend you so long before I look at other products.>>

<<Long story short
They lost my gun, found my gun, took forever with my gun, BBB, shipped gun back without fixing anything.>>

<<I just got off the horn with Mike @ Taurus Customer Service. Nice guy. Couldn't help me figure out the status of my gun however. He said something to the effect of (read: not a direct quote) 'I don't know what to tell you. I don't have an answer for you.'>>

Follow-up

<<Well, Mike never called back. I called Taurus Customer Service today. The CSR informed me that, in addition to the spring assembly, my gun also needed a new slide and barrel!>>

<<What pisses me off is that the thought of my guns just sitting somewhere for a month without even being examined.>>

<<Taurus is just the only one the was totally incapable of handling the problem of fixing there own product in any manner. Very unprofessional business IMO.>>

<<Taurus doesnt lose guns?
Like I said in one of my posts. It may have never actually been "lost" But they had no record of it and couldnt tell me where it was. After I contacted UPS and got the name of the person that signed for it at Taurus they finally "found" the gun about a day later>>

<<No one could ever give me a straight answer. Mostly because the customer service dept. had no idea what the gunsmiths where doing. If I remember correctly when I would ask info about the gun one of the standard answers was " we dont know they repair those in a different building.">>

<<Reading the forums you will see many more people complain about a certain gun than praise it. Thats true in life though.
Its the old if a person buys one gun and is happy with it they will tell 1 person. If they are unhappy with it they will tell 10.
Calling people bashers and trolls is dicrediting the people that have had actual factual problems with in this case Taurus customer service. Which still IMO is the worst by far I have ever delt with.>>

<<I would rate my own experiance as "average". However, their reputation in that area is somewhat lacking & they really need to go above & beyond to get it turned around.>>

<<Bad customer service has always influenced my personal decisions. It's affected my choice in weapons, cars, cell phones, computers, etc. I've haven't had a problem with Taurus myself, and owned a few that were nice little pistols, but the number of complaints I've read from others did lead me to choose a Sig over a Taurus the other day.>>

<<Customer Service is very important, in todayís world. Whether its firearms, cars, or washer machines.
At times, from the customer point of view, it takes a back seat as being an important purchase requirement.>>

<<A lot of companies make quality handguns today. Like anything else, CUSTOMER SERVICE can make a company or break a company.>>

Conclusion:

http://www.teeth.com.pk/blog/images/customer_service_desk_sleeping_lg_nwm.gif

There are a lot of quality guns out their. And how they compete among themselves (through magazines, shows, ect., ect...) seems like a horse race.
Who wins races, the horse or the jockey? Or both?
When itís a race this close

http://www.brainstormer.com/images/OTR_Step5.jpg

Itís the jockey, thatís going to win it. A great winning combination!

There are great guns out their, like horses. Their is great customer service out their too, like jockeys.
When both of the above are combined, you have the greatness to be a winner. Anything less is second place.

Lex
August 1, 2007, 07:28 AM
I had the same experience with Taurus....complete apathy and incompetence!

I'll never buy another one. You can't count on them to be there for the customer should an issue arise!!!!

Vote with your wallet.

Lex

TimboKhan
August 1, 2007, 07:40 AM
well, this is not exactly an uncommon topic, and it saddens me. I happen to be a fan of Taurus guns, and the ones that I have had have been great. Further, my buddy Rockstar.esq had pretty good luck with his gun when he sent it in for service.

When I sold cars about 15 years ago (worst job ever, by the way), there was an old adage that a satisfied customer would only tell 1 person about their experience, whereas an unsatisfied customer would tell 10 people, who would then tell another 10 people and so on. It would be nice if Taurus realized this and just said "Hey, we are backlogged on work. It is going to be 6 weeks to get your gun fixed". My guess is that most people just want to be told a date to expect to see something, and have that date be honored. I bet that if you were accurately told 16 weeks you would be grumpy about the length of time, but not nearly as po'd as just having to wait 16 weeks, you know?

Old Dog
August 1, 2007, 12:53 PM
Finalcut asksSo what's your point? Does he need to go through a special right of passage - perhaps one created by you?
Finalcut, I was quoting "Spider Pig's" first ever THR post, not referring to the OP's dilemma ...
I define "bashing" as negative comments with no supporting facts (even secondhand, anecdotal as it may be, since this is the internet and we never really know if someone is being truthful), that add nothing to the thread.

And yes, a "special right of passage" -- preferably, personal experience with a particular gun or maker -- should be required prior to posting negative commentary.

DawgFvr
August 1, 2007, 01:15 PM
I wish I could comment on Tauri Customer Relations but I have never had a problem with my Taurus auto...wish I could say the same with my other brand weapons.

Ghost Tracker
August 1, 2007, 01:15 PM
You can bet I'm being truthful...or dismiss me as some sort of whacko, I couldn't care less. But I've gotten a BELLY FULL of FIRST HAND Taurus experience with only one handgun purchase. I'll spare y'all the details but my first & ONLY Taurus product broke THREE times in 19 shots (including 2 trips back for Warranty Repair). The Taurus "Lifetime Warranty" only means you'll be dealing with them for the rest of YOUR LIFE! I've been shooting for almost 40 years and I've NEVER been more disappointed with ANY gun-related product or resulting Customer Service. Yet the Gun Magazines continue to give Taurus firearms RAVE REVIEWS!?! I won't have another one if they PAID me to pack it.

jkomp316
August 1, 2007, 01:53 PM
ive never seen a taurus pistol that was anything "nice" to look at. most of them shoot well enough though, and theyre cheap.

MCgunner
August 1, 2007, 02:43 PM
I've got three revolvers and all are fantastic. I do check out what I buy before buying it, of course, with any brand. My M66 4" .357 is the best I've owned among three other .357 DA 4" revolvers, a Security Six, a M19, and a Rossi 971.

Lots of folks seem to have issues with their customer "service", don't know, never had to use it. What I don't like about Taurus is their policy on parts sales, but parts are listed at the Numrich Arms site if I ever need anything.

dmftoy1
August 1, 2007, 02:54 PM
I think Taurus guns are decent quality (I love the PT145 I bought) . . . .their customer service is ridiculous though. I just got my PT145 back 2 months and 1 day after sending it in. I'm not overly torqued about the time frame (although it's much much slower than my last S&W return) it's more about the fact that you can't get anyone with an IQ over 70 on the phone when you call down there. I called down 4 times and never got a straight answer from anyone I talked to on the phone. The closest I got to a good answer was that I should see it sometime in the next 2-3 weeks. (turned out to be 4)

Just my .02

Regards,
Dave

TimboKhan
August 1, 2007, 10:54 PM
A couple of things to point out here, and if you want to take it as a defense of Taurus, go ahead, even though it's not necessarily meant as such.

1. Chances are pretty high that the CS representatives that you are talking to on the phone are not Taurus employees. As a matter of fact, when you call any major company for CS (regardless of product), chances are that you are not talking to employees of that company. Most companies contract out their CS, and most CS companies pay pretty slim wages and hire just about anyone. I don't want to sound derogatory, as I myself worked for a CS company a few years ago, but basically the only qualification needed is the ability to read off a script. Knowledge of the product is not necessary and to a certain extent, not wanted.

Second, in response to this:

I've been shooting for almost 40 years and I've NEVER been more disappointed with ANY gun-related product or resulting Customer Service. Yet the Gun Magazines continue to give Taurus firearms RAVE REVIEWS!?!

This is a matter of perspective. You got a bad gun and now hate Taurus, I have had five great Taurus guns and don't. Aside from the popularly held conspiracy theory that gun magazines never give bad reviews too guns in order to keep their advertisers happy, chances are pretty good that the gun magazines have just gotten good guns. Don't get me wrong, I sympathize with you, and I wish you would have gotten a good product, but it is unreasonable to wonder why others don't hate Taurus as much as you do, especially if they haven't had the experience you have had.

muscles
August 1, 2007, 11:01 PM
ive had 2. a 3rd gen 745 and a 3rd gen 145. the 745 was a pos with a faulty mag release. customer service was a horrible experience. the 145 was great, but i will not take my chances again...EVER! id rather spend an extra 100 dollars up front on a quality product with good support rather than take a gamble knowing that if i do need customer service, its going to be poor and costly. NO THANKS!

Redneck with a 40
August 1, 2007, 11:47 PM
I've got a Taurus Tracker 357 and a Taurus Mil-Pro 40, I've owned the 357 since 2002 and the Mil-Pro since 2005. Both of these guns have been great, reliable, accurate, trouble free. I did have one minor problem with my Mil-Pro, the disassembly pin broke on me, I called Taurus and they sent me another one, problem solved. This doesn't affect my opinion of the gun, I really like it. My tracker 357 is very accurate, has a 7 shot cylinder and a ported barrel, really takes the bite out of the recoil.

My experience with Taurus has been really good, I'd probably buy another one.

In my opinion, the 24/7 and Mil-Pro series are excellent guns, I think Taurus got these right for the most part.

Ghost Tracker
August 2, 2007, 10:37 AM
Well TimboKhan, you assume that I believe Gun Writers write glowing reviews as "exchange editorials" for advertising dollars. I don't. I was just wondering (outloud) how it is that you can ask the Taurus Quality / Customer Service question on ANY open gun-related forum you choose & you'll see the same responses you see here...lots & LOTS of disappointed customers. Yet as I read my M.R.G.M. (Monthy Requirement of Gun Magazines) I don't recall EVER seeing a review reflecting any dissatisfaction with the same products that BREAK for what LOOKS like around 25% of us. I didn't WISH for my purchased selection to fail. I had no PRIOR axe to grind with Taurus. But it DID and I now DO!

As for your "Outsourced Customer Service" rationalization...you're right that many companies (telecom, computer, appliance, etc.) outsource their CS to low-wage Talking Heads with little to no real Product Knowledge. But in the Gun Industry I know (for a fact) that the folks who pick-up the phone when I ask for Customer Service at GLOCK, Stag Arms, Springfield, S&W, Volquartsen & Sig are up-to-speed Company Employees who know their product and gladly solve my occasional issue. The Gun Article that I would REALLY like to see written is a blind comparison between the CS of different gun manufacturers.

If a car fails you can walk. If an airplane fails...you CAN'T fly. I relate guns as being like airplanes. The cost of failure is TOO HIGH not to spend whatever it takes to minimize the odds of failure. If I hadn't already been tainted towards Taurus products this thread ALONE would give me reason to reconsider gambling my life on one.

Onmilo
August 2, 2007, 11:29 AM
The shop I do gunsmithing for sells Taurus firearms.
They just don't sell them to people who plan to do a lot of shooting.:p

MCgunner
August 2, 2007, 11:43 AM
I shoot more than most folks and have yet to have a problem with my Taurus revolvers. Anyone here with a Smith wants to take me on in a pepper popper match, come on down! :D I might not win, but the gun won't fail. I'm no Jerry Miculek, but I do pretty well for a duffer, and I really like these guns, very accurate. I've owned and do own Smiths and Rugers. My Tauri are as good as any of 'em, though I'm especially fond of Ruger's built/designed in strength. I'm not a Taurus is God kinda guy, I just know I have three of 'em, were great bargains, and superb shooters. Lately, I've been in love with a new SP101, but that's another story.

If I did buy a Taurus that needed to go back to get fixed and it took several months, heck, I've got 20 other handguns to carry and play with while it's getting fixed. It'd be a bummer, but I wouldn't lose a lot of sleep over it.

I don't think I'd want a Gaucho anyway. Ain't no single actions in my collection what don't say "Blackhawk" on the frame and three lines of "Read the instruction manual......yadda, yadda, yadda" (GOD I hate that!) on the barrel. The idiotic safety statements aside, I'm a Ruger kinda guy with it comes to thumb busters. I don't shoot SASS, I carry afield with 'em. I want adjustable sights and strength to take my rather warmly concocted handloads. :D

Breakdaddy
August 2, 2007, 11:56 AM
Well, personally my first Taurus was my last. I bought a milpro 9mm that was broken out of the box. I will say that Taurus fixed it and got it back to me, so I didnt experience horrible CS, just a little slow.

halvey
August 2, 2007, 12:03 PM
Yet the Gun Magazines continue to give Taurus firearms RAVE REVIEWS!?! Now that is funny! You actually believe the crap written in a gun magazine??

Ghost Tracker
August 2, 2007, 01:52 PM
Nope! Not gun magazines since the Taurus .45 Millinium was voted "Handgun of the Year", not car magazines since the Ford Pinto was "1974's Best Buy", and not People Magazine since Anna Nichole Smith was voted "Mom of the Decade".

(*Legal Disclaimer. Okay, I made up the Anna Nichole thing, and I've never even READ a People Magazine.)

TL1234
August 2, 2007, 03:01 PM
I got a Taurus CIA .357 that jammed up from day 1. I've heard so many horror stories about their customer service that I traded it at a gun show instead of even trying to get it fixed. $35 minimum service fee plus paying for shipping to fix something that is THEIR FAULT is garbage. Even if a lot of people have had positive experiences with their Taurus, I will never buy a Taurus firearm again.

35Rem
August 2, 2007, 03:32 PM
Funny thing, American Rifleman TV last night had a visit to Taurus in Miami....I thought about this (and all the others) thread.
The CEO was sure proud of the Lifetime Warranty...

Oh yeah, they make the little 22 and 25 auto pistols right there in Miami, which I thought was kinda ironic...sure saves on shipping, I'm sure!

Ghost Tracker
August 2, 2007, 04:12 PM
Yeah, I saw that segment as well. Did you see the difference in the CNC machines at the S&W plant (on Guns & Ammo TV just before) and the set-up at Taurus/Miami?

I've got five Haas CNC Milling Centers at work (with auto tool changers). We make Taurus/Miami look like a Third World Country!

Troutman
August 2, 2007, 06:46 PM
Smith & Wesson stands for Safety, Security, Protection, and Sport. And Customer Service.
Without these things you’re getting 2nd, 3rd rate.

But one has to cut Taurus a break. Taurus does the best Taurus can. So 2nd, 3rd rate isn’t bad I guess. Could be worse.

Ghost Tracker
August 2, 2007, 07:59 PM
ABSOLUTELY could be worse! I could still OWN one!

weregunner
August 2, 2007, 11:13 PM
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=1814.0

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=250992

And that's all I have to say on that subject.:what::)

TimboKhan
August 3, 2007, 06:12 AM
Well TimboKhan, you assume that I believe Gun Writers write glowing reviews as "exchange editorials" for advertising dollars.

Sir, I assume nothing. I never pointed the finger at you in terms of exchange editorials, I merely mentioned that I believed that it was something of a myth, and that I simply believed that the gun reviewers had gotten good guns. I am sorry if you thought that was directed at you personally, as it certainly wasn't.

I also wasn't rationalizing when I talked about outsourced customer service, I was merely making a point. As it turns out, I was wrong about that anyway, at least in the sense that it is less common in the gun world.

Finally, I would say that a blind comparison of customer service is an excellent idea, but that you might be surprised at how other companies fare. I know you have had great success with the companies you have dealt with, but there are horror stories about bad CS from just about every company there is.

If I hadn't already been tainted towards Taurus products this thread ALONE would give me reason to reconsider gambling my life on one.

Here is the thing that bothers me about this statement: Your saying that you would not buy a gun simply because you read a thread. On the internet.

Allrighty. I am tired both physically and of this topic, so I am going to go to bed. I really am sorry you got a bad gun, but my experience with Taurus just doesn't match up with yours, and as a result, we are perpetually going to disagree with each other.

hemiram
August 3, 2007, 06:15 AM
My very first gun period was a Taurus model 83N (Nickel).38. It had every defect possible and still actually shoot. The timing was off a mile, the action was "crunchy", the front of the cylinder wasn't straight, causing the gun to lock up due to heat expansion after a few quick shots, and the rifling was so bad it would be loaded with lead after a single shot! The nickel plating was done very well, at least they got something right.

I sent it back to Taurus, twice, and they fixed the cylinder problem, and partly fixed the timing issue, it only slightly spit lead after the second trip down to sunny FLA. They also nicked the gun up both times. They refused to admit that there was anything wrong with the rifling, even though it came back from them so loaded with lead it took me a long time to chisel it out with my trusty brass screwdrivers. I talked to some guy on the phone and he remembered my name, and the gun, but claimed there was nothing wrong with the barrel. I got PO'ed with him finally and hung up. I ended up selling it to some guy at work for far more than it was worth, and bought the first DW Model 15 I've owned, something that actually could shoot as many shots as I wanted to shoot, and I could trust my life with. I haven't really even seriously thought about buying another Taurus since then, but I recently shot a 24/7 Pro 9MM and really liked it, so I was looking for one and found one at a semi local gun shop.

It was a nice gun, and even though I had the cash, I passed on it. A friend of mine bought it, and it's been nothing but a headache since. It runs, then doesn't, and one of the followers in the mag cracked too. If you use a brand of ammo it likes, and the thing is perfectly clean and lubed up, it will (Usually) go though two boxes of WWB in a row. Any more, and it's iffy at best. Taurus did replace the mag though. It seems to be getting worse as it passes the 600 round mark. The store wants to send it back to Taurus, the gunsmith owner there thinks the barrel is out of tolerance where it locks up into the slide. It does seem really loose to me, not at all like the one I shot that had at least 3000 rounds through it, that one was great.

I saw a couple of used 24/7 Pro's on auction sites, but I'm spooked.

If you enjoyed reading about "Buy Taurus at your own risk, customer service is a joke, quality has gone down" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!