Buying a gun off the net

PDA

JP from Phoenix
August 1, 2007, 02:47 AM
I have a couple of questions about it. see. I want a GP-100 but the store I was going to initially buy a Tracker from doesnt have them and has to special order it. He quoted me at like 550 for it which i do not know includes the tax or not probably doesnt so at the very best 550 but realistically i'm thinking I'm gonna have to shell out 600 from this place for the gun alone. Plus to special order i have to put half of the price up front.

I've been looking at gunbroker and buds who are both advertizing the same gun for like 460. Now my question is with tax, shipping fees and the fee from the shop will I be better off aquiring it myself? What are your experiences.

This is my first gun so I know i'm gonna have to get some other accesories like eye and hearing protection, a holster or some kind of carrying place for my car. of course ammo cleaning kit etc. I really do not want to walk out of the store spending more than 600 for everything i will need.

If you enjoyed reading about "Buying a gun off the net" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MisterPX
August 1, 2007, 02:57 AM
Depends on your FFL's transfer policies. You'd be looking at about $480 after shipping, then the FFL's fees.

hexidismal
August 1, 2007, 03:13 AM
It really depends on the individual deal, and probably most importantly what you're FFL transfer fees will be. One thing to take into account though as well is that you won't be paying sales tax buying from out of state. Sometimes that's a deal maker too. Using buds as an example, and assuming you arent located in KY to pay the sales tax, you'd be paying $460 + $25 shipping +FFL fee. Transfers around here tend to be about $40. So 460 + 25 + 40 = $525. If your local store is selling for $550 + tax, then the online deal has already beaten it. If find that this isn't always the case though. Also, there is something to be said for paying a little extra at your local shop. Firstly, you get to look at what you're buying first. And secondly, the store is far more likely to want to help you out if something winds up being a problem with a gun you bought from them. Actually for me it generally isn't even a viable option depending on the seller. Some online gun stores that have the good deals (Bud's for instance) won't send handguns to my home state of NY at all, even if they meet all state regulations.

JP from Phoenix
August 1, 2007, 03:22 AM
Well the shop i'm working with say their fee is 30 dollars, so you work this stuff out with the shop first before you go on line and buy the gun i'm assuming. go to the online site buy it and how long does it usually take to get in the store?

So your saying buds only charges sales tax is certain states? If there isn't sales tax, its definatly the way to go. I still think it is, its a new gun with a solid reputation. Seems like a win win situation

texas bulldog
August 1, 2007, 01:38 PM
internet gun sales [or any other kind of internet sales] should only include sales tax if you are in the same state. for businesses rather than individuals, that may be more than one state if the company has multiple locations.

shop around for the best FFL transfer fee. $30 is okay. for my one GB purchase, i used my local range and they charged $25. now with a CHL, they would charge me $15 in the future [less paperwork]. i have heard on THR of people finding pawnshops willing to do it for $15 or even $10, but that will depend on your local shops. i tried that route unsuccessfully before settling on using my range for $25.

either way, you should come out ahead using GB in this situation.

EDIT TO ADD: my closest local gun shop charges $50 for an FFL transfer, which i believe is meant to discourage you from purchasing online. i mention this simply to point out that there is a wide range of fees for essentially the same service.

slow944
August 1, 2007, 01:54 PM
Look around in some of the pawn shops. Sometimes you can find almost new guns for a lot less money. I found a Colt Python 6" blue for under $800.00 when everyone on the internet wanted $1K for theirs. and didn't have to pay for shipping or FFL fees.

Autolycus
August 1, 2007, 06:05 PM
One place around my old house charged 10% of what he sold the gun for. It really killed the value of internet shopping if you wanted to use him as an FFL. Most places around here do the transfers for $20-25 so it is worth it.

hrgrisso
August 1, 2007, 06:58 PM
JP here in Az were in the same boat. We tried buying a bunch of Steyrs from CDNN a while back (when they were 325! :what:) but we couldn't find anyone willing to do a transfer for less than 40 bucks a gun.

We decided it wasn't worth messing around with others so since then we've applied for our FFL and are waiting the last 90 days till we have it, maybe as late as October depending on whose couting. We'll do transfers for 20 bucks (shameless plug!)

Otherwise just know who your dealing with in advance. We had one shop tell us they'd do transfers but then changed their tune to "we'll transfer it to you, but we'll charge you our normal carrying price for it."

kermit315
August 1, 2007, 08:00 PM
cheapest place i found around here to do transfers has been 50 bucks per gun, plus a $25 dros fee on top of that. so after normal shipping of 25 dollars for a handgun, i basically add 100 dollars to the price on the net.

however, to get around this, i bought my ruger through galleryofguns.com and since it was technically my local stores online side that i did the purchase through, all i had to pay was tax and the dros fee, and the price of the gun.

sucks too, because when i was in WA state, it was 25 dollars flat, and when I lived at home in illinois i had a store that would do the transfer for free for me.

Hawk
August 1, 2007, 08:19 PM
The place that I use for CHL training has a storefront operation that does transfers for 20.00. They have very little stock and the transfer fee is a minor profit center - since they actually solicit transfer business, they do a great job of it.

'Course, I make a point of never transferring anything that looks even vaguely like their stock.

Rustynuts
August 1, 2007, 09:24 PM
Look around in some of the pawn shops. Sometimes you can find almost new guns for a lot less money. I found a Colt Python 6" blue for under $800.00 when everyone on the internet wanted $1K for theirs. and didn't have to pay for shipping or FFL fees.

You must have OWNED the pawn shop! Most shops I've been in are ridiculously overpriced. Not even worth the time to stop anymore.

JP from Phoenix
August 1, 2007, 10:20 PM
How long does it take to get to the store after you set everything up? The people at the sho were telling me if it takes longer to get there than the 30 days my background check is good than they would have to ship it back and i'd get stuck with shipping fees tp and back whether i got the gun or not.

The dude at the shop told me with the special order I can walk out with the gun for around 550 bucks including tax and everything. is that a fair deal that would save the hassle of buying it off the net. It almost seems more trouble than what its worth

rj112275
August 1, 2007, 11:02 PM
i wish i could find a low-cost FFL to do transfers. most folks in my area won't do them and the shop that will, charges $50. however, if the seller will ship and there are no taxes, i still accept it. found some bargins on-line even with the $50 xfer fee.

CU74
August 1, 2007, 11:21 PM
I must be missing something here:confused:. The background check is done by your FFL transfer dealer when you go in to pick up the gun, NOT when you buy it in-line. I have a gun on order from Bud's right now - no up-front background check, just had to make sure my FFL transfer dealer was on their list.

I buy frequently from on-line sellers and have the guns sent to a local pawn shop. They charge me $15 to receive the guns and do the paperwork/telephone call for the background check. Shipping/handling plus the $15 fee is often less than my local sales tax would have been.

JP from Phoenix
August 1, 2007, 11:41 PM
^ well my story is I was originally gonna buy a Tracker 627 but i got put on hold because of the background check, usually in AZ if your record is squeeky you get the gun that day but I'm not 100% clean so they made me wait, while in the waiting process i decided i wanted a GP-100 instead but the store doesnt carry them. The dealer told me apon getting cleared on a check you have 30 days apon the start of the check to make a purchase before you need to get another one giving me pretty much 3 weeks to either buy something from the store, special order the GP from them or find one myself on the net. This will be my first gun purchase so i'm a little unclear on the rules. He said if a check isnt done by the time the gun gets there i would have to be held liable for the shipping costs of sending it back and sending it again if i still want the thing on an internet deal. I'm betting they are just against hooking up the online deals because they lose money.

I don't want any mix ups so I'll probably just have the shop special order the gun i want for me. If I dont have to pay tax from Buds plus all fees and shipping would be 511 for the GP-100. If i have to pay tax i'd have to pay around 535 bucks. The store is trying to get me to do the special order for 550. I'll ave money going the net route no matter what but i'm worried that some red tape i dont know about screws up the deal thats why i ask how long do they take to ship from sites like Buds?

cracked junior
August 1, 2007, 11:41 PM
i think what he means by the 30 day background check. is when you get the background check done. its good for 30 days. so you have 30 days to get the gun

JP from Phoenix
August 1, 2007, 11:48 PM
^yeah but if lets say buds lags on the shipping and it gets to the shop after my check is expired than i may be liable for shipping the gun back to the people at buds, thats why i want to know how long it takes apon the time you make the buy at buds

Zundfolge
August 2, 2007, 12:06 AM
According to Gunbroker's "find an FFL" thing http://www.gunbroker.com/User/DealerNetwork.asp

There are several FFLs in the Phoenix area that charge decent rates ($25 and under)
including one in Tempe called Command Post that only charges $15

JP from Phoenix
August 2, 2007, 02:01 AM
so how long does it take them to ship to your store using normal conventional shipping methods?

Hanzerik
August 2, 2007, 10:29 AM
Most of the time it should only take a few days at the most. I just did a trade with a member here down in Texas, and his took a couple days to get up here, mine took a little longer 27th-30th, but still got there pretty fast.

Both times I purchased a gun at stores down in Colorado, they were up here the next day waiting for me at the FFL I used.

It all depends on if they have it in stock, distance, and how fast they are to ship things out.

If you enjoyed reading about "Buying a gun off the net" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!