.45ACP ammo Q's

PDA

TheDisturbed1
August 1, 2007, 08:18 AM
I was given a few hundred rounds of various .45 ammo by a former LEO related to me...

he said that some of these were Hydrashoks.

3 boxes of Winchester Law Enforcement Ammunition:
45 Automatic +P 230 gr. SXT

1 box of speer GoldDot
45 Auto 230 gr. GDHP

a few of Federal hollowpoints were also in the mix

and 5 boxes of non-jacketed target reloads. i took pics of my stockpile :P lol

So, what is the speer and winchester exactly? what kind of casing do they have? steel cased?

Pic:
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d186/disturbed001/CIMG0389.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about ".45ACP ammo Q's" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
GRIZ22
August 1, 2007, 10:15 AM
They're nickel plated which is supposed to make for more reliable extraction. These are shiny compared to the CCI Blazer which are dull aluminum. This is what the cases on the left look like to me. The only steel case 45 on the market is Wolf which seems to work okay. The US made steel case 45 during WWI and I remember reading Jeff Cooper said it worked well but was harder on extractors than brass.

kellyj00
August 1, 2007, 10:41 AM
shoot it. keep the brass...you'll want it later to either resell (after you get a 1000 or so...worth about $35, you could find a buyer that will pay the $8 shipping to) or to reload yourself.

Father Knows Best
August 1, 2007, 11:06 AM
I wish I had relatives like that.

The Winchester SXT ammo is great stuff! Assuming it is the real Ranger SXT "Law Enforcement Only" stuff (code RA45T), then you have probably the best all-around .45ACP defensive round available. The Speer Gold Dot is also top quality defensive ammo. Neither is cheap, and Winchester RA45T can be difficult to find because of the "law enforcement only" designation. As GRIZ22 said, they have nickel-plated brass cases so they won't tarnish. They are completely reloadable.

The stuff on the front left of your picture looks like CCI blazer or similar bargain basement, aluminum cased ammo. Shoot it up in practice, and leave the brass, because it's worthless.

Lucky you!

TheDisturbed1
August 2, 2007, 04:43 AM
thanks for the info!

Im definately keeping these casings... i know that the aluminum/steel casings are crap, so i was just making sure!

in the Win SXT, is that nickel inside the hollowpoint?

GRIZ22
August 2, 2007, 12:58 PM
in the Win SXT, is that nickel inside the hollowpoint?

Shiny lead.

TheDisturbed1
August 3, 2007, 07:34 AM
works for me. lol

If you enjoyed reading about ".45ACP ammo Q's" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!