Newbie question

PDA

hso
August 1, 2007, 11:25 AM
:o If I start reloading 9mm and .45 ACP pistol and 5.56 and 7.62 NATO rifle ammunition (and considering prices that looks to be inevitable) will I need both large and small pistol and large and small rifle primers?

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Newbie question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ReloaderFred
August 1, 2007, 11:49 AM
Yes, you will need all four, but you won't need any Magnum primers for the calibers you've mentioned. Standard primers will do nicely.

Hope this helps.

Fred

strat81
August 1, 2007, 02:05 PM
+1. You'll need all four. Always check your brass though. For example, 7.62x39 brass usually has a large rifle primer except for Remington brass, which uses a small. My Lee Safety Prime System had feeders for both.

hso
August 2, 2007, 11:00 AM
Thanks gents!

halvey
August 2, 2007, 11:07 AM
Actually...

Lots of competition shooters use small rifle primers in their pistol loads. So you COULD get by with 3. But...
1) you will need to use rifle primers with softer cups, like Winchester or Federal.
2) you will need to reduce your charge some
3) Large rifle primers for large pistol primers won't work

If you enjoyed reading about "Newbie question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!