Dillon 650 or 550

PDA

kbsrn
August 1, 2007, 05:21 PM
Which would be the one to get? As I understand it the only difference is auto-indexing? Is that correct?
Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Dillon 650 or 550" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mc223
August 1, 2007, 06:23 PM
Please use the search function. There are a lot of discussions on this subject. And there are other considerations besides indexing. These posts always get twisted into a you dont really need that just get this. Good Luck!

Hawk
August 1, 2007, 06:46 PM
This might be helpful:
Which Dillon? (http://www.brianenos.com/pages/dillon.html)

1911user
August 1, 2007, 07:00 PM
Which would be the one to get? As I understand it the only difference is auto-indexing? Is that correct?
Thanks
NO, read the link in Hawks post.

The Law
August 1, 2007, 07:52 PM
This might be helpful:
Which Dillon?

+1

I say go with the 650 if you can afford it. ;)

Bandit01
August 1, 2007, 10:37 PM
When I first started reloading, I bought the 550--2.5 yrs later, I wish I would have bought the 650. If you're going to load a lot of calibers and a large amount of ammo, you won't go wrong with the 650.

m1009
August 1, 2007, 10:56 PM
From what I remember of the 550, close. We've had both. I like both, but can get more quantity with the 650. If you're starting out, the 550 is good cause you can reverse (at least you used to) and go back if you messed up. The 650 is a bit more technical, in that you really have to watch each station. You might have a case not fall properly, and now you have an extra primer if you didn't catch the holdup and you can't back up. Etc. It's a great machine, very easy to use, you just have to be a bit more vigilant. When we had the 550, our first one, it was before the casefeeder, etc. Had to load cases by hand and then index it by hand. Gave the beginner more time to watch each step before indexing. Have fond memories of that 550....
Have a 650 now, and we can really crank out the rounds though. Both are very good machines. At least now the 550 can get a casefeeder, so that helps out.

dmftoy1
August 2, 2007, 07:15 AM
I've had two 550's and I'm currently on a 650 which I absolutely love. If you decide on a 650 then plan on the casefeeder which adds quite a bit of cost.

Ok, so now for my .02. I think you need to decide how much you will be shooting "per caliber". My 550 could EASILY keep up with even my most demanding caliber (.45 acp) and I shoot about 200-300 rounds of that per week. That being said, it took me alot more time to load up the ammo. With the 650 it's overkill for my volume on .45 acp, but it's really nice to know I can shoot until I'm down to say 500 rounds and then spend a sunday afternoon and have 2500+ rounds laying around. To do that with my 550 would've probably required two afternoons. (I load pretty slow)

On the + side for the 550 I think it's MUCH easier to switch calibers than the 650 (although the 650 isn't terrible). In my ideal world (and with a larger reloading bench :) ) I'd have have a 650 for anything that I"m shooting more than 1k worth of ammo per month, and 2 550's, one in large primer and one in small primer, and a nice single stage. Of course for that ideal world to happen I'd probably have to hit the lottery so I didn't have to work, and if I hit the lottery I'd probably have a nice bike in the garage, and a sportscar and a jeep and . . . :)

Have a good one,
Dave

James Thomson
August 2, 2007, 08:33 PM
I have both. I use the 650 for 9MM and the 550 for 223 and anything else I want to reload. I works out good.

If you enjoyed reading about "Dillon 650 or 550" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!