Mail Order Ammo Questions

PDA

kingpin008
August 1, 2007, 06:40 PM
Hey ya'll. I'm getting ready to make my first online ammo purchases, and I'm wondering if anyone can answer some questions for me.

First - This might sound dumb, but is the "free shipping" from AmmoMan really free? Like, no hidden last-minute charges? I have no experience whatsoever with him, except I've heard some stories that Eric (I think that's his name) can be a jerk when dealing with customers. Even if that's true, it doesn't bother me unless part of that is him messing around with what he charges for his ammo. If it is indeed free shipping, no strings attached, that's good to hear.

Second - is there a way I can estimate shipping costs, for other sites? I've been checking out Georgia-Arms.com for awhile, and I'm curious to try some of their "Canned Heat" reloads. However, I don't want to have to sign up and enter all my information just to get an idea of the shipping. This goes for other sites as well - I know that not every site will offer free shipping, and I also know that the shipping they do charge will vary from site to site. I just want to find a way to get an idea of how much over the cost of the actual ammo I'll be paying, so I can decide whether it's really cheaper to buy online, or whether I should just keep buying locally.

Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Mail Order Ammo Questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
brentn
August 1, 2007, 06:44 PM
First-

Read the fine print. Most sites that offer free shipping have an asertisk ** beside the "free shipping line", somwhere on the page should be information about that. For example, some will say in fine print that you have to be within continental united states to get free shipping, and/or the shipping is free for orders over 100$ and/or the shipping is free if under a certain weight.
If its not stated anywhere, and there is no asertisk, whats advertised is what goes and if he decides to tell you that its going to cost you, you can kindly tell him that his site says free shipping.

Second.

Call them.

indie
August 1, 2007, 06:51 PM
i made my first online ammo purchase from georgia arms last month.

it went smoothly and i ordered 1000 rounds of 38 special +p and 100 rounds of 357 magnum. Ill check back my invoice to see how much shipping was. Even though they only had to ship to south carolina to get to me.

kingpin008
August 1, 2007, 06:53 PM
Brent -

Fair enough. I looked, and I didn't see any sort of disclaimer on the AmmoMan site.

I'd call them, if it weren't for a wicked bad stutter. Guess that leaves good old email!

Thanks for the reply.

Indie - Thanks, that'd be very helpful. I'm in Maryland, so I can't imagine it'd be too terribly different. Not exactly across the country, heh.

indie
August 1, 2007, 06:53 PM
shipping for me from georgia arms for 1100 rounds was 17 dollars.

kingpin008
August 1, 2007, 06:56 PM
Indie - Wow, not bad! Once again, thanks for looking it up for me. How's the actual ammo quality? How long did it take to get there?

gyp_c2
August 1, 2007, 06:57 PM
...free shipping at Ammoman...http://emoticons4u.com/smoking/rauch06.gif

indie
August 1, 2007, 06:58 PM
it got to me within about 5 days of the order. The ammo i actually havent tried yet. I'm going to the range on saturday and going to shoot a couple hundred rounds.

kingpin008
August 1, 2007, 07:01 PM
Very cool. Thanks for the comments everybody. I'm currently trying to heal some dents I've made in my ammo supply, before these price increases hit. Getting tough for us for us po' folks to keep shooting, heh. :cuss:

Shadowangel
August 1, 2007, 07:15 PM
Technically...ammoman works the shipping costs in with his prices, so it's not really free. It's free in the sense of... "Buy this $25 cd player that's worth $15, and get a FREE CD worth $10 or less!"

RNB65
August 1, 2007, 07:17 PM
Just stay on Eric's good side (IOW, don't talk to him) and you'll be fine. I've purchased thousands of rounds of ammo from Ammoman and never had a problem. The price you see is the price you get.

wdlsguy
August 1, 2007, 07:18 PM
The prices at ammoman.com include shipping. I have placed two orders with him, both went very smoothly.

kingpin008
August 1, 2007, 07:19 PM
Shadow - Right. I should have clarified that in my original post. I just hate it when the shipping is "free", (worked into the cost of the item to begin with) but then they try to sneak in another shipping charge that you hadn't counted on. It's happened to me before with a few non-gun online purchases, so I was just checking to see if that was the case here or not.

Thanks for the comment!

Wdls - Thanks. The stuff I had heard was admittedly awhile ago, so it might even have been people trying to start problems with AmmoMan because of some nonsense. I'm trying to work out the numbers at the moment, to see if it's even worth my time to order online at all. I appreciate the comment!

kingpin008
August 1, 2007, 07:24 PM
RNB65 - See, that's kinda what I've heard. I've read a few things from various people both in person and on forums that have said that while he basically provides a good service at a good price, he can be a Royal A$$H**E to deal with if he's in even the slightest bad mood.

That doesn't really bother me, because I don't plan on making him angry, and because I can give as good as I get when it comes to crappy attitudes, heh.

jkingrph
August 1, 2007, 07:30 PM
No matter how the final price is figured, you the buyer will pay the shipping!!

AntiqueCollector
August 1, 2007, 07:31 PM
Check around though, because with the higher prices to pay for that "free" shipping, it may be cheaper buying elsewhere that has fixed shipping charges based only on dollars spent. I've found that true many times. For example, comparing cheaperthandirt to Cabelas for the same amount of S&B 8mm mauser ammo some months ago, CTD was cheaper in price, but more expensive when I checked what shipping would be, because it was based on weight and closer to actual charges. Cabelas was based on dollars spent and it came out cheaper. I also compared some others of course but just to show what I mean this is a good example (though, I think that S&B mauser ammo at CTD is out of stock now and has been for a while).

AJD
August 1, 2007, 07:33 PM
Depends on what you buy from Ammoman, alot of the time his prices are considerable lower than anywhere else. Some of his stuff can be somewhat overpriced. All in all his prices are pretty good for online.

kingpin008
August 1, 2007, 07:39 PM
Antique - Yea, I'm doing my best to take everything into consideration. I'm so bad at math, it's not funny and even with a calculator, there are times when I just have to sit back and go "What the heck was I even adding again?":o

The way I figure it, I'm going to pick up 10k worth (rounds, not dollars!) of Wal-Mart bulk-pack .22 LR tomorrow from the one by my house, and that'll last me practically forever. I'm mainly trying to find some decent deals on .45 ACP and .38 Special. The Dick's near me has a 500 round case of Remmie Green Box .45 for right around $130 OTD, I'm just trying to see if I can beat that online by a margin that'll make it worthwhile.

Once again, thanks for the advice!

kingpin008
August 1, 2007, 07:41 PM
AJD - Yea, in general he seems to have fair prices. I'm just notorious for bad math, and I'm trying to be really, really sure that I'm not missing a better deal.

Thankfully, my birthday is in a little less than two weeks, so the checks are rolling in, heh. Just what I always wanted, more Ammo!:D

alucard0822
August 1, 2007, 08:09 PM
Cabellas, cheaperthandirt and Midway are the three on-line dealers Ive had the best luck with, but Wal-mart Dicks and Bass-pro are your best bets locally. Bass-pro sometimes has good sales, they had 250rd 45 umc bulk packs on sale a few weeks ago for $50 and 9mm fmj wwb for $6 per 50. Lately with prices as they are, I have done quite a bit more reloading , so I don't keep as close an eye on ammo prices as I used to. I have 1000rds of wolf 7.62X39, 500 peices of brass and 1000 bullets for .223, 500 plated 45 slugs, some tools and some more ammo cans coming tommorow from midway for $350 shipping included, and have never had a problem that they didn't promptly fix and appolagise profusely for, much better than my once and never again dealing with ammoman.

kingpin008
August 1, 2007, 08:32 PM
Alucard - is the Bass-Pro you mention the one attached to Arundel Mills Mall? If so, I happened to visit it for the first time a few weeks ago, and I can say that it was pretty impressive. I'll have to check them out again soon.

I'm trying to get into reloading, I just don't have the time/money/patience yet. I am saving as much brass as I can, though. The way I figure it - even if I don't get into reloading, I can always buy a tumbler and sell the cleaned brass to someone on here who does, or just recycle for whatever brass is going for these days, which I hear is something close to $1.60 or so.

Norton
August 1, 2007, 09:37 PM
Too bad that you missed out on our last groupbuy at mdshooters.com.

Shipping on 16,000 rounds was around $258. :evil:

kingpin008
August 1, 2007, 09:52 PM
Good lord!

You know, I keep meaning to visit the MD forum more, but I keep forgetting. I'll have to tie a string around my finger or something.

Norton
August 1, 2007, 09:55 PM
I'll have to tie a string around my finger or something.

LOL....don't worry as soons as we get this one done we'll have another buy.

kingpin008
August 1, 2007, 09:58 PM
Can you PM me or email me or something the next time an interesting one comes up? I've logged into the forum and I have it minimized to my taskbar, which is actually a pretty decent way for me to remember to check stuff like that. Otherwise, I'm apt to forget AGAIN, heh.

Norton
August 1, 2007, 10:03 PM
We probably won't do another before the end of September since the order we just placed won't be in before then.

kingpin008
August 1, 2007, 10:17 PM
No rush at all..Just wanted to ask ya to try to remember me when the next one rolled around in case I forgot.

alucard0822
August 1, 2007, 11:04 PM
yup, the arundel mills one. My little brother works there and keeps a lookout for good deals on ammo. I also attend VA and PA gun shows when I can, Harrisburg and Dulles expo are both worth the trip. Basically keep an eye out for deals and buy big when they're around. Groupbuys at MDshooters are probably the best way to get deals, and probably meet a few friends to burn through some of that lead with:)

kingpin008
August 1, 2007, 11:10 PM
Ah, right on. Yea, I've got the MDShooter's forum open right now, just so I can have it at hand rather than trying to remember to check it every so often.

I just pulled the trigger (I know, bad pun) on two orders of some Canned Heat from Georgia Arms. Paid under $300 for a 500 pack each of .45 ACP and .38 Special semi-wadcutters including shipping. Makes me feel better about the cash I'll be dropping on the rimfire ammo I'm gonna pick up from Wal-Mart tomorrow.

It really, really sucks to shoot on a budget!

Sir Aardvark
August 1, 2007, 11:46 PM
Not to bag on the internet ammo deals, but if Wal-Mart has the ammo you are looking for, then that is most likely the cheapest you'll find it anywhere - "free shipping" or not.

I get my ammo at wholesale prices which includes free shipping to my door if I order case quantities, and I still can't beat the Winchester White Box cost at Wal-Mart. My deal works for me when I need ammo that isn't carried by Wal-Mart, such as .44SPL and Gold Dots, etc.

gezzer
August 2, 2007, 12:27 AM
Nothing is FREE.

kingpin008
August 2, 2007, 02:57 AM
Sir Aardvark - Normally I'd agree, but WWB prices have been going up lately around us, and I can't find much in the way of .38 Special whenever I go check. Online is my best option at the moment.

Gezzer - I know. :rolleyes:

Red Tornado
August 2, 2007, 12:11 PM
If you have your C&R and can order from Century, they have a flat rate shipping of $12.50. For large bulk rifle ammo, that's hard to beat. Of course, pistol ammo weighs far less.
RT

kingpin008
August 2, 2007, 12:35 PM
Red - No, I don't have a C&R. Haven't convinced myself that it'll be useful to me at this point in time. And the only rifle I have is a 10/22, so I've got the ammo needs for that pretty much covered.

Thanks though!

Red Tornado
August 2, 2007, 02:05 PM
If you ever decide to start tricking out that 10/22, a C&R will also get you dealer pricing at Midway or Brownell's. I think that's why a lot of people get it, one decent order and you've saved money.

kingpin008
August 2, 2007, 02:13 PM
Yea, I've been giving some serious thought to getting one, mainly to be able to finally get my hands on a Makarov. I just don't have enough money and willpower to deal with the ability to have guns and ammo sent to my front door, heh.

fletcher
August 2, 2007, 02:20 PM
First - This might sound dumb, but is the "free shipping" from AmmoMan really free? Like, no hidden last-minute charges? I have no experience whatsoever with him, except I've heard some stories that Eric (I think that's his name) can be a jerk when dealing with customers. Even if that's true, it doesn't bother me unless part of that is him messing around with what he charges for his ammo. If it is indeed free shipping, no strings attached, that's good to hear.

The shipping is free. If you see $159 on your order, it will be exactly $159 upon checkout. Every order I've made (10 or so) has always been very fast, with receipt of ammo <1 week from order date. I have never had any problems.

kingpin008
August 2, 2007, 02:23 PM
Fletcher - Thanks! That does indeed seem to be the case. I went with Georgia Arms this time, but I'll keep AmmoMan in mind for the future.

JohnBT
August 2, 2007, 02:49 PM
"Nothing is FREE"

I am spoiled. Georgia Arms has a dozen or so tables at every Richmond gun show and you don't pay any shipping, just the price on the site.

John

kingpin008
August 2, 2007, 03:39 PM
John - Do you happen to know if they set up at any shows in MD? There's supposed to be one at the Howard County fairgrounds (right down the road from me) in September, and if they'll be there I'll go and pick up some more!

MisterPX
August 2, 2007, 03:43 PM
Ammoman's shipping is worked into teh price, hence, that's why most of the time his priices are higher than elsewhere. As a previous poster said, look around.

THe big issue with Eric, is he was listing a Vietnam bringback SKS, and it turned out to be fake. Eric then told the buyer to screw himself.

glockman19
August 2, 2007, 03:50 PM
I regularly buy from:
www.ammoman.com
www.midwayusa.com
www.natchezss.com
www.cheaperthandirt.com
Depending on who has the best prices.

If you enjoyed reading about "Mail Order Ammo Questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!