Traveling through Iowa need info on gun law

PDA

jimsiggy
August 1, 2007, 09:41 PM
First post here, hi all. I am a CCP guy from AR and i will be traveling to IA in the next few days. I know that IA does not recognize the AR permit. How do I keep the gun when in IA, to stay within the law?

If you enjoyed reading about "Traveling through Iowa need info on gun law" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
wdlsguy
August 1, 2007, 09:51 PM
http://www.dps.state.ia.us/asd/wpind.shtml

jimsiggy
August 1, 2007, 09:59 PM
Perfect, ty

NavyLCDR
August 2, 2007, 12:06 AM
What about the ammo? Are there specifics in the Iowa law regarding transportation of ammo? The Federal Law guidelines is the same as for the gun itself, must be locked up seperate from the passengers/operator of the vehicle - not seperate from the gun, however, just not in the gun.

Even if Iowa law is more restrictive, the Federal law would apply and let you off the hook as a traveler.

unspellable
August 2, 2007, 08:22 AM
One caution when transporting in Iowa. If the magazine is loaded, the gun is loaded, even if the magazine is not in the gun. Other wise no sweat, best bet put it in the trunk. Short of that have it in a container "Too large to conceal upon the person".

JoeHatley
August 2, 2007, 11:12 AM
www.iowacarry.org has some pretty good info.

Joe

Blackbeard
August 2, 2007, 07:52 PM
Short of that have it in a container "Too large to conceal upon the person".

I love that phrase. Apparently a Toyota can be hidden on my person. Geez, I didn't think I was that fat.

vynx
August 2, 2007, 08:49 PM
I have an Iowa story.

About 30 years ago I was stopped for speeding (65 in a 55 if i remember right - 55 was the max speed limit at the time - this was way out in the country)

And I had a loaded 1911 in the glove box.

When the officer asked for registration and insurance I hesitated and he asked if there was a problem..I told him I had a gun in the glove box - he asked if it was loaded I said "Yes Sir" then he said "only bring out the papers" and thanked me for telling him ahead of time and that some officers take it badly if you open a glove box and surprise them with a handgun (this I figured and is why I hesitated).

Then he wrote me the ticket and said to have a nice day.

What a nice guy and 30 years ago there was no CCW.

MisterPX
August 2, 2007, 11:07 PM
Get a "Matter of conveyance" ticket by chance?;)

If you enjoyed reading about "Traveling through Iowa need info on gun law" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!