Hunting with lasergrips!?

PDA

duvalhunter
August 1, 2007, 11:10 PM
Well, not actually using them of course. The problem is I have a S&W 686 that I've put some Crimson Trace lasergrips on for protection at the house. I know it is against the law to use lasergrips to hunt, but what do I have to do?

Can I simply go hunting with them and turn the switch off or remove the battery, or do I have to completely remove the grips and put the old ones back on when I go hunting?

I'm in Texas if it matters.

TIA

If you enjoyed reading about "Hunting with lasergrips!?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sunray
August 3, 2007, 03:05 AM
I'd guess that you can't even have them on the revolver when hunting. CO's are a suspicious lot and will likely charge you if you have 'em on. A phone call to your Fish and Game or whatever it's called in Texas, will confirm it.
If you've had the lazer grips on for any length of time, be sure and practice some with the stock grips before you go hunting. You'll probably need to sight in again too.

Jorg Nysgerrig
August 3, 2007, 05:52 AM
Here in Utah, the hunting laws specifically exempt concealed weapons holders from the weapons restriction provided they aren't actually taking game with their carry weapon.

In Texas, however, it looks like the only exemption is being able to carry a gun during archery season. http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/hunt/season/

You might want to give those folks a call and ask them if you can't find your answer here.

Art Eatman
August 3, 2007, 12:15 PM
Yeah, I'd call TP&W and ask if "battery-out" is okay. You can go online and find 800 numbers.

Art

Gohon
August 7, 2007, 11:43 PM
To remove the battery you first have to remove the grip anyway. At least that's the way mine are designed. So why not just slip the old grips back on?

lewisd454
August 10, 2007, 01:25 AM
The laws vary alot, check your state regulations. In many states Laser sights are legal for hunting non-game animals such as hogs, skunks, raccoons, rats, ferule cats, jack rabbits, coyote, etc. Cougars may be legal in states where they are not considered game animals. Very few states allow laser sights for game animals, with the exception of states where handicapped people can use them.

We have sponsored several really really fun laser Hog Hunts in Texas. We also founded Blind Hunters of America where we have sponsored hunts for the handicapped and actually changed the laws in a few states. Legally blind people have taken deer and hogs with laser sighted handguns.

CHECK YOUR STATE AN LOCAL REGULATIONS!

Lewis Danielson
President
Crimson Trace Corporation CTC

Troutman
August 10, 2007, 07:24 AM
<<We have sponsored several really really fun laser Hog Hunts in Texas.>>

I could use a laser grip on an X-frame (model 500). Maybe in 2008 C.T. will make them?

If you enjoyed reading about "Hunting with lasergrips!?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!