New Gander Mountain opening...what can I expect?

PDA

stevekl
August 1, 2007, 11:23 PM
A while ago, we started getting conflicting information about a new sporting goods store opening here in Richmond. First they told us they would be opening a Bass Pro Shop, and then there was something about a Cabella's. And just today I drove by a big store that said "Gander Mountain...coming soon"

So what kind of gun-related things does Gander sell? Do they do reloading supplies (please say yes)? Is there a good selection of guns?

Whatever happens, I hope this drives down the prices at a certain big, green gun store around here *ahem*

If you enjoyed reading about "New Gander Mountain opening...what can I expect?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
RNB65
August 1, 2007, 11:30 PM
The owner of Green Top better start praying cause in a few weeks he's going to have a brand, spanking new Gander Mountain about 400 yards straight out his front door.

I know the GM in F'burg sells shotshell reloading supplies, so I assume they also sell metallic cartridge reloading supplies. Green Top and DeGoffs have better handgun selections, but GM has them beat on pretty much everything else.

jefnvk
August 1, 2007, 11:48 PM
Yes to all your questions. Gm is probably the best chain firearms place, IMHO better than Cabelas or Bass Pro (they don't command the tourist prices).

They do have a good selection of new and used guns on hand, sometimes can find bargains on their used racks (passed up on a nice used .30-30 Win 94 scoped for $130 a few weeks back, had no money). Nice thing is, they will often order a gun if you want to see it, and if you don't want it, they're a chain so it don't hurt to throw it on the shelf and wait for it to sell.

Got great deals on clothes and such at teh end of the year too, got a new pair of Carolina boots for $25 last summer.

Dorryn
August 1, 2007, 11:51 PM
Gander Mountain are significantly anti-CCW. I refuse to give them my business.

JWarren
August 1, 2007, 11:52 PM
This is good to hear. We are getting a new Gander Mountain here as well.

The only Bass Pro Shop I have routinely gone to is the one by my parents condo in Destin. Seems like everything there is overpriced. I hope that the GM is better.

-- John

lee n. field
August 1, 2007, 11:57 PM
So what kind of gun-related things does Gander sell?

If it's like the one sorta near (~45 miles) me, shotguns, rifles and handguns, ammo. Accessories including magazines, scope mounts, cases, utility grade holsters, stuff like that. Reloading equipment (mostly RCBS) and supplies.

None of it terribly cheap, but watch the sale fliers.

Gander Mountain are significantly anti-CCW

Absolutely irrelevant here in the Illinois People's State.

kingpin008
August 2, 2007, 12:03 AM
Gander Mountain are significantly anti-CCW.

Cite please?

yhtomit
August 2, 2007, 12:16 AM
The one near me used to have a sign that said something along the lines of "all weapons must be disclosed to store management and walked back to the firearms department." (That's a *very* rough paraphrase!). I asked about whether this applied to CCW, and they told me "No, that's just unfortunately phrasing." The next time I was there, there was a similar sign but worded much more intelligently, such that it obviously did not disallow CCW permit holders from carrying.

However, I've not thought about that in a while, and I may be fuzzing things in my memory. (I'm an old 32 ;)) However, I'm talking about the one in Harrisburg, PA, if anyone near there can confirm or deny my account ...

timothy

Dark_Harvest
August 2, 2007, 12:19 AM
GM is CARRY FRIENDLY!!! the policy stated above is only for guns being brought in to sell or service.

and they have lots of reloading supplies, manuals, etc. and tons of used!

rangerruck
August 2, 2007, 12:26 AM
lots of good things to be had at a gander mtn, get there during grand opening, and score some good specials. Also at the very end of the year, first couple of weeks of January, they will run some more good sale specials, to dump last years inventory.

baz
August 2, 2007, 12:28 AM
Gander Mountain are significantly anti-CCW. I refuse to give them my business.Not where I am. If anything, the make it clear that CCW is okay.

BB93YJ
August 2, 2007, 12:34 AM
They sell pretty much most shooting related items. Lots of shotguns, new and used, lots of rifles, new and used, same on the handguns. Lots of reloading supplies. If they don't have what you want, ask, they'll generally try to find or order it for you. Not anti CCW, heck, they're a firearms dealer for heaven's sake.

You can have them search the inventory of all stores and have a firearm shipped to your location if one isn't in stock or available at your store. Like a previous poster said, you aren't obligated to purchase it if you don't want it. This applies to new and used firearms.

Daemon688
August 2, 2007, 12:35 AM
Maybe because you live in New York because out here they welcome us. Gander is ok if you're into the hunting rifle/shotgun stuff. Their handgun selection is pretty decent and the prices are ok. The only evil black rifles they carry are the ar. Still the best gun prices in town are to be had at my local gunshop. And they carry all the evil toys I like :evil:

Limeyfellow
August 2, 2007, 12:37 AM
The big problem with Gander Mountain around here is they are really sexist. I spoken to about 20 or so females who gone there and they just ignore them or tell them a few minutes and never get back but for a male they come looking. I pretty much told one guy who ignored my wife off big time in the store who left her waiting for 15 minutes while he was serving nobody until he saw me pick up an Ar15 he came running over asking if I needed help. Well it ended up no sale. They done the same in the boots section acting flippant to at least three females I know of.

It may just be the Mooresville, NC Gander Mountain, but the customer support by the staff there is awful from my own experiences and others.

As for firearms they have an okay display there. A number of hunting rifles. About 30 or so second hand rifles and shotguns. They had an okay M44 Mosin that was quite nice and one battered to pieces yet both being sold for the same price. The firearms you do see are more expensive than alot of places, but still better than Bass Pro in Concord.

Catsailor
August 2, 2007, 01:10 AM
The Gander Mountain in Wichita, Ks is CCW friendly. They even offer classes for CCW and defensive pistol. The sign on the front of the store says all firearms and bows must be checked in at customer service but exempts handguns carried concealed by permit holders. I cannot remember the exact wording but it left me with the impression of concealed means concealed.
That being said I seldom shop there due to thier prices on firearms being among the highest in our area. I have bought some of thier sale priced clothing at what I felt were good prices though.

john1911
August 2, 2007, 01:18 AM
Less than impressed with the one in Paducah, KY.

Limited selection of reloading supplies, most of the help is much less than helpful, the local guys can beat them on guns and ammo prices.

230RN
August 2, 2007, 03:31 AM
Gander Mountain are significantly anti-CCW. I refuse to give them my business.

Not so at:

GANDER MOUNTAIN
9923 GRANT ST
THORNTON CO
303 450 8122

They clearly and emphatically (almost joyfully?) exempt CCWers from checking in their firearms.

Great selection of stuff, too. Their rifle rack reminds me of a long picket fence, gun after gun after gun. Sales folks pretty knowledgable and courteous. And they don't assume you're an idiot --even though I actually am.

Although I am no longer interested in archery (arthritis in left shoulder), they seem to have a pretty good archery section.

I have zero financial or other interest in this store --just letting you know my experience.

martinc64
August 2, 2007, 03:41 AM
The one here in Fayetteville, NC, just opened a couple months ago.

Huge firearms selection. Lots of ammo, lots of optics, decent selection of reloading gear and such. Lots of hunting and fishing gear.

Not a cheap place but not absurdly priced either.

CNate
August 2, 2007, 06:45 AM
I used to live in Ohio. GM was worth the 40 minute drive from my home, past two Dicks Sporting Goods, and one Bass Pro Shop. Absolutly beautiful store, huge firearm selection, helpfull staff, and good pricing on ammo.

Then I moved to the Peoples Republic of Wisconsin.

The GM here reminds me of a Wal-Mart after midnight, on a fullmoon. It's filthy and they don't even try and hide it. Although we have zero CCW rights, the store in Madison feels the need for a big "NO FIREARMS" sticker on the door. But, they have a 'gunsmith' in the back..so..you have to drop through the ceiling mission impossible style to give this guy your weapon?

Ammo is kept behind a couter on a shelf with no pricing on it. If you can find one of the 16 year olds (Not being age-ist, I'm a younger guy myself) that work there, your in luck, you get the honor of explaining to them that even though two boxes have the same "number" (seriously...I told the kid I need ammo and he asked what "number I need it in"...) on the box they are for totally diffrent tasks.

After my last trip I refuse to go there. I waited 26 minutes for the employee behind the counter to stop flirting with the cashier so I could ask him where they kept the jags...after he told me "Dude, that show is awesome!"..I walked out.

So, in sumation, here's to hoping you get one of the good GM's, not one of the bad ones. If you get a goodie, you're gonna love it.

Titan6
August 2, 2007, 07:13 AM
Everyone I have ever been in also has a gunsmith in the back. I have never utilized the services of their gunsmiths but it is nice to know they are there.

Opening across from Greentop? Greentop is already a big store. I like the selection at Greentop better than any GM I have ever been in. Not the GM is shabby but Greentop has way more variety and is more focused on guns. Prices are similar right now so this should be interesting.

starfuryzeta
August 2, 2007, 08:32 AM
There is a GM opening up in Jacksonville, FL at the River City Marketplace. I have visited the one is St. Augustine, and found their firearms selection to be pretty good. Hopefully it will give some of the local shops a bit more incentive to relax their pricing a bit.

Octothorpe
August 2, 2007, 09:58 AM
If the nearest GM to me is any indication, you can expect to be completely ignored for up to 45 minutes unless you're at least 40 years old (and male). Also, expect to see a $649 price sticker on a Glock!

scubie02
August 2, 2007, 10:12 AM
The one in Binghamton, NY is pretty sucky, I must say. You have a hard time getting waited on in the gun section, they generally try to rape you on trades (occasionally this is not true, but 90% of the time or so they do) and prices in general seem to be pretty steep. This is hot or miss--occasionally you see a price which is at least decent, but they had a handgun in the case recently that my little mom and pop one room shop had quoted me $1300 on for over $1700, which should just be embarrassing to them. They are getting volume pricing and he's ordering one of something, and still significantly underprices them about oh, 85% of the time. Ammo prices are also very high there, and they tend to not stock well--went there last hunting season looking for some 243's, and the shelves were empty. Walked in there a week or so ago looking for some shells because I thought the local hardware store's price was a little steep, and it was cheaper than theirs by $7. I honestly don't know how they stay in business.

MinnMooney
August 2, 2007, 10:28 AM
I've got 5-6 GM's within reasonable distance from me and they all specialize in different venues. One store had almost nothing in reloading but another store was reasonably equipt so I asked about the discrepency. I was told that each location has studies done before a store ever opens and then stocks it according to the major interests of that area. I think that the marketers/statigists forget how very mobile their cusomers are.
Gander seems to be better priced than the over priced Cabelas. Cabelas puts retail price stickers on many (read 'most') of their items. They definately cater to the tourist crowd and gift buyers who want an item from a known high-buck retailer. The only deals that I find are the sales. The "Bargain Cave" is no longer much of a bargain.

As far as being anti-CCW, some of the other posters are correct in that the only weapons signs that I've ever seen have to do with bringing your gun/bow in for repair.

Linda
August 2, 2007, 10:51 AM
I LOVE Gander Mountain!! :D

I frequent the one in Reynoldsburg often. They have ALWAYS been very helpful. Never have they been sexist, and they are VERY CCW friendly to the point that even though they have CCW classes instructed onsite, they have sent many students my way.

As far as pricing, there's no way they can be more expensive than any other store. Why? They will match prices on anything in the store that the competition sells. They matched the pricing on my carry gun, even though the competitor did not have it in stock. They always match ammo prices, so that's where I buy all of my ammo. I got a great price on a used plinker I bought there.

Like any retailer, the store is going to be as good as the employees hired. I don't think the entire chain should be judged by one location for those of you who have had a bad experience at one.

rangerruck
August 2, 2007, 11:04 AM
Ive got three here in houston, and frequent them all. yes they all have their plusses and minuses, when it comes to people, pricing, etc., but I have scored some great deals there, and will keep going back.

xsquidgator
August 2, 2007, 11:25 AM
I like GM. Our local store had a sign like you mention but I thought the wording and intent were clear, does not apply to CCW only firearms you're bringing in to show them or to get serviced.

Some of their prices are ok, some of their prices are high, and I just look around to see what they have and for how much. Our GM has what I think is a great selection of guns, ammo, cleaning gear, and even an adequate selection of reloading gear and components. Sometimes they'll have a deal I like, and if for no other reason I'll go the 20 miles over there to get powder and primers if the next gun show isn't for a while. I've gotten good prices on a Ruger 10/22 and a 12 gauge turkey gun there too, I like the place.

CajunBass
August 2, 2007, 12:27 PM
If you want to find out what Gander Mountain is like, drive up I-95 to Fredericksburg and check out the one on RT-3. Take the Culpepper exit, and go west about 2-3 miles. Store is on the left across from the Big KMart. Get in the left lane, and turn left at Task Force drive, then right into the parking lot just past the bank. Avoid rush hour in the evening. Rt 3 west is "slow" that time of evening.

Personally I like them. They carry a bit of everything, fishing, hunting, bowhunting, ATV's, boats, clothing, and so on. The one in Fredericksburg is about half the size of a "regular" Wal-Mart, as a matter of fact the building used to be a Wal-Mart. Their prices might be a little higher than some places, but on the other hand, I've gotten some good prices from them. They have a good selection also. CC is no problem. They do however carry your gun to the door for you, so if the "Wal-Mart walk of shame" bothers you, you probably won't like GM. Persoanlly I wish they'd carry everything to the door for me. Even better, take it to the truck. Ukrops does. :) (You gotta be a Richmonder to get that.)

From what I've been hearing lately, both Gander Mountain AND Bass Pro Shops are going to build in that area. The BPS is supposed to go up at Lewistown road. I also heard that Cabela's is going to also, but no one really knew anything about that. I did hear the GM advertising for employees on a Richmond radio station yesterday (WRVA).

Dorryn
August 2, 2007, 12:40 PM
Gander Mountain is in fact very anti-CCW. Maybe not everywhere, but certainly here. Just because they sell firearms doesnt mean they trust you. Anyone who says I am wrong about this, why dont you come here and try it?

I went there once just looking around, on Memorial Day. The store was dead empty, just myself and the two guys in the gun section, talking about shooting, the local ranges and gun clubs, that sort of thing. We had a brief discussion about CCW and they both seemed cool with it and supposedly had firearms of my own.

It was at this point we began to discuss Glocks. Given the concealed carry conversation, I was certain these salesman who were gun owners and frequented many of the same ranges and gun clubs as I do were sympathetic. Now, concealed means concealed, but I lifted up my shirt because one of the salesman expressed an interest in my Glock 27. I admit this was unwise, but nothing up until that point had given me any indication these were anything but 2A supporting, anti-gun-control individuals.

The first guy, freaked out. When he saw the Glock, he says, "thats not loaded is it?" Im thinking to myself, what a stupid question. "Of course its loaded," I say, with a shocked look on my face. I dont lie, ever (i refuse to) so denying it was out of the question. The guy is immediately brusque to the point of rudeness, "You cant be in here, you cant have a loaded gun in here! You have to leave". I say, "Theres no sign, im legally permitted". "Cant be in here", the guy says. The other guy realizes whats going on, says the same thing, all keyed up as if I was swinging an AK around or something, he says "That better not be loaded". At this point i'm shocked, both at the suggestion that a CCW be UNLOADED (which is worthless for CCW) The second guy says, "You can unload that right now, right here, or you have to leave. You can have a magazine in it, but not one in the chamber!" Im still shell-shocked at the transition from being considered a knowledgeable customer to psycho enemy... Im like, "Ok, no problem, ill leave." And I walked out.

I have nothing High Road to say about Gander Mountain. Ill boycott GM... not Ebay. At least Ebay doesnt pretend to be gun friendly then act like *****.

doubleg
August 2, 2007, 12:54 PM
Overpriced ammo...

Crappy, overpriced, collection of guns...

TERRIBLE service...

stevekl
August 2, 2007, 12:57 PM
Thanks for the replies! I am glad they carry reloading supplies. Bass Pro doesn't (at least not the one I went to) and that irritated me.

ognnosnim
August 2, 2007, 01:06 PM
Gander Mountain is in fact very anti-CCW. Maybe not everywhere, but certainly here. Just because they sell firearms doesnt mean they trust you. Anyone who says I am wrong about this, why dont you come here and try it?

I went there once just looking around, on Memorial Day. The store was dead empty, just myself and the two guys in the gun section, talking about shooting, the local ranges and gun clubs, that sort of thing. We had a brief discussion about CCW and they both seemed cool with it and supposedly had firearms of my own.

It was at this point we began to discuss Glocks. Given the concealed carry conversation, I was certain these salesman who were gun owners and frequented many of the same ranges and gun clubs as I do were sympathetic. Now, concealed means concealed, but I lifted up my shirt because one of the salesman expressed an interest in my Glock 27. I admit this was unwise, but nothing up until that point had given me any indication these were anything but 2A supporting, anti-gun-control individuals.

The first guy, freaked out. When he saw the Glock, he says, "thats not loaded is it?" Im thinking to myself, what a stupid question. "Of course its loaded," I say, with a shocked look on my face. I dont lie, ever (i refuse to) so denying it was out of the question. The guy is immediately brusque to the point of rudeness, "You cant be in here, you cant have a loaded gun in here! You have to leave". I say, "Theres no sign, im legally permitted". "Cant be in here", the guy says. The other guy realizes whats going on, says the same thing, all keyed up as if I was swinging an AK around or something, he says "That better not be loaded". At this point i'm shocked, both at the suggestion that a CCW be UNLOADED (which is worthless for CCW) The second guy says, "You can unload that right now, right here, or you have to leave. You can have a magazine in it, but not one in the chamber!" Im still shell-shocked at the transition from being considered a knowledgeable customer to psycho enemy... Im like, "Ok, no problem, ill leave." And I walked out.

I have nothing High Road to say about Gander Mountain. Ill boycott GM... not Ebay. At least Ebay doesnt pretend to be gun friendly then act like

Concealed is concealed. You shouldn't have brandished your weapon in the first place.

BBsteel
August 2, 2007, 01:14 PM
+1 on doubleg.

Here in MN they have the worst prices on firearms and ammunition. They won't barter on used gun prices unless they have had it for 6 months or more. I can buy all my HKs and a Springfield A1-Loaded for a lot less at Cabelas or a local gun shop.

Example on a new Springfield SS A1-Loaded
Gander: $859
Local GS: $749

Who cares if they price match. I don't want to waste my time or breath.

skua44
August 2, 2007, 01:26 PM
There is a GM a few miles north of me on I-45 in central TX. I do shop there some, but aren't particularly excited about it. Service is hit and miss. My biggest gripe is that they may have piles of the most commonly used items (ammo, reloading, etc.) but if you are looking for something the least bit obscure, like an uncommon bullet weight or caliber, you are S.O.L. Prices aren't all that great either. They have been open for about 3 yrs and business has fallen off. I'm waiting for the going-out-of business sale.

RNB65
August 2, 2007, 01:30 PM
Overpriced ammo...

Crappy, overpriced, collection of guns...

TERRIBLE service...

The prices may be high and the service may be slow, but the gun collection is most definitely not crappy. The Fredericksburg GM has a wonderful long gun selection including a wide selection of Bushmaster AR's. And the long guns are out on open racks where you can handle them -- not out of reach behind display counters where you have to beg to be able to touch. If they'll price match with the locals, I may well become a big GM customer.

#shooter
August 2, 2007, 02:16 PM
Our GM has a pro-ccw sign. Basically loaded ccw = ok, loaded firearms to trade and sell or for repair must be unloaded (duh). To give GM credit not even the local gun shops allow loaded weapons, ironic.

GM is a retail store so many of their items are overpriced, including firearms. When they have sales they can often be cheaper or on par with Wally world. GM here has no real competition (only other choices are Wally world = cheap, and Dicks = poor selection) so they have high prices.

scubie02
August 2, 2007, 03:10 PM
well, all I know is the last time they had a big "ammo sale" I couldn't help but notice that the "sale" price on their 9mm's was higher than the regular price at both walmart and dick's...

I'm sure it varies by state and location what their policies are, and even depends on the employee. I have lucked onto a good one once or twice, but the MAJORITY of the employees (just speaking of the gun department) at the one I mentioned are rude, largely clueless about weapons but think they are experts, and not very interested in helping you.

Bottom line I guess is go see how yours is when it opens. Seems like they'd be more likely to have good prices and service when they first open.

LotI
August 2, 2007, 03:11 PM
The GM here reminds me of a Wal-Mart after midnight, on a fullmoon. It's filthy and they don't even try and hide it. Although we have zero CCW rights, the store in Madison feels the need for a big "NO FIREARMS" sticker on the door. But, they have a 'gunsmith' in the back..so..you have to drop through the ceiling mission impossible style to give this guy your weapon?

Ammo is kept behind a couter on a shelf with no pricing on it. If you can find one of the 16 year olds (Not being age-ist, I'm a younger guy myself) that work there, your in luck, you get the honor of explaining to them that even though two boxes have the same "number" (seriously...I told the kid I need ammo and he asked what "number I need it in"...) on the box they are for totally diffrent tasks.

After my last trip I refuse to go there. I waited 26 minutes for the employee behind the counter to stop flirting with the cashier so I could ask him where they kept the jags...after he told me "Dude, that show is awesome!"..I walked out.
Which store in Madison? West side is better.

Let the management know what happened. If you don't, it won't get better soon.

Check out the stores outside of Madison for handguns. I found the staff in Baraboo is knowledgable.

MattB000
August 2, 2007, 03:14 PM
We have two here. One the reloading supplies just stink, it's the absolute bare minimum. The other one it seems to be pretty nice, however, I'm getting the feeling they aren't planning on getting any new stock. I like how the rifles are chained up so you can fondle them as you please, but, do you want to buy one that has been fondled?

CajunBass
August 2, 2007, 05:00 PM
I like how the rifles are chained up so you can fondle them as you please, but, do you want to buy one that has been fondled?

You can't have it both ways. Which do you want?

I don't know about rifles/shotguns, but when I've bought a (several actually) new pistol, they always go to the back and bring out one in the box. I suppose if the only one they had left was the display, you'd have to make a decision.

Blackbeard
August 2, 2007, 09:00 PM
The one in Davenport, Iowa has the best selection of firearms, especially handguns, in town. They also have all the ammunition on shelves in the open. There is a 'check weapons at the desk' sign, but CCW is illegal in Iowa anyway.

I wouldn't say posting the sign makes them anti-CCW. It could be their insurance company that's anti-CCW. No sign, no insurance. No insurance, business closed.

Lashlarue
August 2, 2007, 10:09 PM
Nice selection but prices here are msrp plus. I took three guns in for an appraisal, they low balled me so bad it wasn't even funny.$200 for an unfired old style Vaquero 44 mag, I sold it on gunbroker for $460, $100 for a Firestar m45 that I sold on Gunbroker for $240 and $250 offer for an 1894S with scope , see thru rings, custom leather sling and softcase.They don't advertise and haven't heard of the internet yet.Ammo prices are 25% higher than Wal-mart.Not worth burning up the gas.

lamazza
August 2, 2007, 10:35 PM
Limited selection of reloading supplies, most of the help is much less than helpful, the local guys can beat them on guns and ammo prices.
I'll +1 that
Their gun prices are the very high end of retail, ammo prices are way too high and metallic reloading equip. is in perpetual short supply.
I have one near my home and still drive about 45 minutes away to get much better pricing from a smaller store. The 'match any price' claim has never worked for me.

USMC6177
August 2, 2007, 10:43 PM
Ammo prices are also very high there, and they tend to not stock well--went there last hunting season looking for some 243's, and the shelves were empty.

The reason for that was they had just opened back up after the big flood and they hadn't gotten restocked. I work with a guy who works there part time. They had to scrap a ton of firearms. He was telling me they had two PALLETS of browning A-Bolts that they turned to scrap because they were rusted solid. They had guns that had sat under water for more than a week. The water in the store reached 6 feet. When the flood happened they were told by corporate to get the ATF records and computers and lock it up and leave. They lost like 5 million in goods. They still don't have thier stock set up correctly after the flood they had to basically take the standard distribution package from headquarters instead of the pre flood system that was more tailored to the region. All the guns that were fixable were sent to GM gunsmith warehouse and refurbished. GM is just like any other store you have to shop for good deals. They had a sale in January and there was a ton of good firearms for really good prices.

Gander Mountain is in fact very anti-CCW.

The GM in Binghamton has a sign that says all firearms and bows must be cased except for concealed carry. It may be up to the store to decide.

phantomak47
August 2, 2007, 10:49 PM
The one in Spring TX, has terrible prices on their firearms, Glocks are over priced and much cheaper at Academy. Its a nice story and they currently have a full sized elephant mount at the entrance along with just about every game animal,but their prices are really bad. I always go there looking for deals on used guns, but I have yet to find one.

USMC6177
August 2, 2007, 10:56 PM
They don't advertise and haven't heard of the internet yet

The internet thing is about to change watch for a big influx of really good prices over the web from them. They were not allowed to sell via catalog or internet due to the fact they sold thier catalog business back in the 70's to cabela's and part of the agreement was that they could not sell anything except through thier stores. Due to a recent court ruling they will, in the next year or so, be putting out a catalog and starting up web sales and then once they get a good customer base discontinue the catalog and go to a direct store buy and internet combination

Gander Mountain Legal Win (http://www.gandermountain.com/news/newsitem.asp_Q_id_E_12044)

springmom
August 2, 2007, 11:00 PM
Anti-CCW?????? Hardly! You have to check a gun at the front desk if you are bringing it in either to the gunsmith or to trade it in. But they are upfront about being pro-RKBA, pro-CHL, and I have a great time with the clerks, who are uniformly positive and polite to this 52-year old woman.

It isn't always the cheapest place in town. OTOH, I just got a Mosin there the other day for $89. I'll take that anytime. They'll special order stuff they don't have (they're getting rid of their reloading stuff, but they ordered two sets of dies for me that they didn't have in stock.)

What's not to like? I've bought a number of guns there, and I always check in back in the gun section even if I'm going in for something else.

Springmom

scout26
August 2, 2007, 11:20 PM
Last time I checked they are a business, not a charity so pricing varies from location to location and even over time. I've gotten great deals there and rolled my eyes at the pricing on other items. But like I told Mrs Scout, after our neighbors put their house up for sale for twice the price they had paid for it two years prior, "They don't have to sell it to everybody, just one person."

The one I go to (Geneva, IL), a great firearm selection of both new and used, lots of clothing (I wait until after the season and buy when they have their clearances), nice Archery section, the camping/hiking area is pretty good, Reloading is all MEC and RCBS, though I'd like to see some Lee and others stuff (other then just their Lee lead melting pots). Pricing for the most part is not bad, Powder averages about $2-3 per pound higher then what I can it for from a guy who does gunshows, but they tend to be cheaper then the small shops for just about everything else.

They're not prefect, but if you're an informed consumer, they're another source for firearms, shooting supplies and all things outdoor.

Mot45acp
August 2, 2007, 11:27 PM
They bought out my local store. Some guns Still have the Shooter's Supply price tags on them. $700 for a stainless Mini 14? sheesh

On the other hand, they did have the diamond in the goat's A$$. Used Colt chrome lined AR barrel, with FSB, delta ring and barrel nut Shooter's Supply sticker on it said $115 Got it for $100 out the door.

I use them to fondle, then go to my guy and order. I think their ARs are way high $200-$300 or so from Academy across the street. $950 plus tax for a Stag #3H!!! Get real!!!

Fburgtx
August 2, 2007, 11:40 PM
USMC,
That link you gave is HUGE news. There was no way Gander was going to survive as a strictly brick and mortar operation. Unlike Cabela's or Bass Pro, they aren't a real "tourist" destination. They weren't getting near the store traffic as Cabela's or nearly as much sales per square foot (Motley Fool had an interesting article on this a few months back). They simply have too much inventory sitting around in each store.

An internet presence would be great. It would be nice to order a firearm (at a good price) off the internet and be able to pick it up at GM. It would also be nice to be able to order other things (esp. bulky items) and be able to pick them up at GM with NO shipping charges (are you listening GM????). I realize you can do FFL transfers thru your local dealer, but if the gun has cosmetic issues, you're kind of stuck with it. The dealer doesn't want to eat it when all they're getting is a $20 FFL transfer fee. If GM would be willing to eat it (or charge a small re-stocking fee) it would take some of the risk out of ordering new firearms sight unseen.

I have got a few GREAT deals at GM. I have to say that their prices on NEW guns aren't that great, though (though no worse than Cabela's). The customer service has been kind of hit or miss (not a question of rudeness, just some staff at the gun counter who have no idea what they're selling). Honestly though, I can't say that I look to gun counter guys for the most accurate info on guns anyway!!

lamazza
August 3, 2007, 12:12 AM
Powder averages about $2-3 per pound higher then what I can it for from a guy who does gunshows
Yikes. The one near me is VERY overpriced on powder and primers(when they have them). I mean 1000 primers there is about $8/1000 higher. That is significant enough that I won't buy them there anymore and the powder is $6-$7 higher per pound.

BB93YJ
August 3, 2007, 02:06 AM
For what it's worth, I work part time at Gander Mt. Started three months ago, in the "Hunting/Firearms" section, no less.

On the anti CCW issue, I don't know about other Gander Mt. stores, but, as far as having to walk guns in and out of the store, well, there's a reason for that. Last year, after this particular store opened, people were able to just walk in with their rifle, shotgun, whatever and head on back to the Firearms area or the gunsmith shop. They also were able to walk out with their firearms.

One day, a nicely dressed gentleman walked in, milled around a while in the shotgun section, then took a Leatherman tool, or some such, cut the tether, and cut the security tag off of a high dollar Beretta shotgun, turned around and walked out with it. Allowing such things to continue to happen isn't economically feasible, you know?

Shortly thereafter, a policy of checking guns in at the customer service counter, or walking a customer out from back in the firearms section was implemented. That's not too much of an imposition is it?

Also, you'd be suprised how often someone brings one in to trade or sell, or have the gunsmith check, that's still loaded. It seems that not all gun owners are as meticulous as we here on THR are, regarding gun safety. Go figure...

And if you are carrying a legally concealed handgun. Well, all I got to say is, keep your blaster hidden dummy. Only time you need to show it is if you plan to use it.

Lastly, there's a complaint line. If you notice poor customer service, chauvinistic behavior by the salespeople, bad attitude, or just plain rude unprofessional behavior, call it. If you would like to see something that's not offered in the store, call the number and complain that it's not carried.

Heck, I'll make it easy for you:

http://gandermountain.iwrsurvey.com/Secret/GanderMountainIWR/

Customer Service
Toll Free: 1-888-635-2614

For what it's worth, I prefer the old time mom and pop type gunstores. Sadly, the one here where I live is closing soon. I much prefer it to the big chain stores, but the owners are on up there in age and they're ready to retire. Don't blame them. Truth is, Gander, Bass Pro, Cabela's, Academy, Wally World, etc., won't ever be able to offer what will be lost when they close their doors. If this Gander Mt. closes, I won't really miss it, (or the job). When this old time shop closes, well, that'll truly be a sad day.

Daemon688
August 3, 2007, 02:15 AM
Like I said earlier, whether or not GM is anti-CCW is probably largely dependent on your state. I've opened carried into my local GM and no one even batted an eye. Other than some occassional cleaning supplies and hearing protection I've never bought anything from there. There are better deals on guns at my local "mom and pop" store and ammunition is cheaper elsewhere.

hemiram
August 3, 2007, 03:31 AM
The prices on most handguns is pretty high at the GM near me, but not nearly as out of touch with reality as the "family" owned place down the road a few miles. That place has prices that are just crazy. I can't see why anyone in their right mind would pay $50-75 more than GM wants for an CZ Sp-01 9mm, or (And in my mind the nuttiest price I saw on any handgun I looked at)$450 for a used freckled with tiny rust spots Astra A-100 with one mag. I recently bought one in better shape, appears to be unfired, with three 17rd mags for about $300, shipped with my local FFL transfer fee included. I have never seen a gun sold at the local place, but have seen several at GM.

There was a place here years ago, that had such high prices, that it was kind of comical. I went in there and was looking at a used Beretta 84, in decent, but not great cosmetic condition. Lots of holster shine. The price? $600!! I just laughed when he told me that.

Sergeant Sabre
August 3, 2007, 03:27 PM
When I worked at Gander Mountain two years ago, all new firearms prices were 5-11% over cost. They won't barter on firearms prices because they generally don't have any room to move around. That's not unreasonable. Consider that retail prices of most general merchandise is about 20-25% over cost, and clothing can be 80% or more!!!! Why don't people complain that they won't barter over the cost of the Scent-Lok clothing?

As far as the "I went in to sell a used gun and the rat bastages low-balled me!!!" crowd goes, what do you expect? GM isn't buying the firearm for their own use. They are buying it to re-sell it at a profit. Your buddy down the street, who is buying it as an end user, can give you full value. GM has to pay wholesale value so they can sell it to an end user at full value. What's nice about selling to them is that you don't have to hunt for a buyer.

Anti-CCW? Puh-leeze!!! Just because two GM employees over-react, doesn't mean the company line is anti-carry. Legal concealed carry is welcome in every GM store.

Dumb employees? They aren't hiring product-knowledge experts. They are hiring sales associates at less than $7.00 per hour. They do make sure that the people they are hiring have a reasonable degree of knowledge in the department they are working, but consider the price they pay for their labor.

If you enjoyed reading about "New Gander Mountain opening...what can I expect?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!