Wordy. Suggestions for improvement?


PDA






Oleg Volk
August 2, 2007, 01:59 AM
Updated version. Thanks for the help.
http://olegvolk.net/gallery/d/21460-2/ross4485.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Wordy. Suggestions for improvement?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
NeoSpud
August 2, 2007, 02:11 AM
Maybe it's just me, but I like it just the way it is. Right to the point. Good job.

Euclidean
August 2, 2007, 02:14 AM
What's the main point here? That guns are in fact not easily available as some claim they are, or that contemporary military rifles should be freely available on the free market?

I'd think the focus should be on one point or the other if brevity is desired.

Oleg Volk
August 2, 2007, 02:20 AM
guns are in fact not easily available as some claim they are

That's the main point.

busy_squirrel
August 2, 2007, 02:27 AM
maybe replace "easy availability" with "rampant prevalence" or some other phrase that "they" are commonly heard using

Waywatcher
August 2, 2007, 02:29 AM
What gun is that? I would use a picture of an SMLE. Canadian, english, etc.

Oleg Volk
August 2, 2007, 02:31 AM
It's a Canadian Ross rifle. It looks suitably "sporting" and "harmless".

Euclidean
August 2, 2007, 02:40 AM
How's this for a starter?

"Today, a Canadian could only buy this antique rifle with extensive paperwork and background checks.

In 1907, anyone could have bought this rifle without either.
Does that sound like "easy availability of guns?"

I picked one nationality and edited out the point about modern military rifles. It's not perfect but it's more concise.

DavidVS
August 2, 2007, 02:57 AM
Hm. Reverse it?

"Guns are now too easily available? [picture] Purchasing this antique now requires thorough paperwork and a background check whereas in 1907 any Canadian, American, or Englishman could have purchased it as a modern military rifle without either."

Oleg Volk
August 2, 2007, 03:18 AM
DavidVS, thank you for the idea

busy_squirrel
August 2, 2007, 03:44 AM
Flows and sounds better now. But about those colors....;)

bogie
August 2, 2007, 03:48 AM
Politicians blame "easy availability"

Today, buying this antique means federal background checks.

100 years ago (or change to suit the venue...) any (pick one for venue) could buy a modern military rifle. Period.

Vonderek
August 2, 2007, 10:48 AM
Politicians blame "easy availability" of guns for crime

100 years ago you could buy this army rifle in a hardware store

Today, buying the same rifle requires federal forms and extensive background checks

SDC
August 2, 2007, 11:49 AM
You could do the exact same poster showing a Vickers or Maxim machine gun :D

hso
August 2, 2007, 11:52 AM
Your grandfather could have ordered this through the mail without doing anything other than sending in his check.

Yet politicians blame "easy availability of guns" for today's crime rates even with waiting periods, paperwork, background checks and outright bans on some guns.

What's the real reason?

Oleg Volk
August 2, 2007, 12:12 PM
http://olegvolk.net/gallery/d/4919-2/before1934_7305.jpg

TallPine
August 2, 2007, 01:05 PM
But there's no shoes in the poster :p

:D

Oleg Volk
August 2, 2007, 01:25 PM
http://olegvolk.net/gallery/d/14870-2/shoes1874.jpg

Fosbery
August 2, 2007, 02:02 PM
Nice. But in its current form it relies on the assumption that gun crime is higher now than it was in 1907 - I think you need something there to prove that is the case or antis can shrug it off saying "well that's why society was so violent in 1907."

Shadowangel
August 2, 2007, 02:50 PM
Should be "shootings" instead of "shooting", I believe.

atk
August 2, 2007, 02:58 PM
I'd be hesitant to use a machine gun to try and make this point to a complete anti. Many antis seem to think that machine guns are bad, for a separate and wholly indescribable reason. Best to convince someone with small steps, than alienate with large leaps.

akodo
August 2, 2007, 06:37 PM
get rid of 'even' in even this antique

you say background checks and paperwork, then later say 'without either'

except you have a multiple background checks and paperwork, which is 3 things (change background checks to singular?)

matt87
August 2, 2007, 06:51 PM
Perhaps two areas of text (top & bottom half of image), divided by the gun. Would suggest either a bolt or lever rifle (common type).

Top:
_To buy this in 2007_
> Federal background check
> Extensive paperwork
> 18+ only
> x school shootings

_To buy this in 1907_
> No background check
> No paperwork
> No age restrictions
> No school shootings

JLelli
August 2, 2007, 06:58 PM
Nice. But in its current form it relies on the assumption that gun crime is higher now than it was in 1907 - I think you need something there to prove that is the case or antis can shrug it off saying "well that's why society was so violent in 1907."

If we go by murder rate, the United States was slightly safer crimewise in 1907 than it is today:

http://www.jrsa.org/programs/Historical.pdf

Brad Johnson
August 2, 2007, 07:12 PM
100 Years Ago (as modern technology)
Purchased by anyone:
-Of any age
-With any criminal history
-With any mental history
-From anyone
-From anywhere

Now (as century old technology)
Purchased by anyone:
-No younger than 18 years of age
-With no felony convictions
-With no violent misdemeanor convictions
-With no pending litigation
-With no restraining orders against them
-With no history of mental illness
-...and who passes a federal background check

Standing Wolf
August 2, 2007, 09:41 PM
Definitely a typographic plethora.

lamazza
August 2, 2007, 10:13 PM
I would like to see a poster about how a GI working for uncle sam can use a full auto M16 , but the same GI as a civilian is deemed not trustworthy enough to own one.

If you enjoyed reading about "Wordy. Suggestions for improvement?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!