packing.org

PDA

Greell
August 2, 2007, 01:44 AM
Has anyone else noticed it's been down for like a week almost?

I have been trying to get on there to check something I saw, and it's been down :(

If you enjoyed reading about "packing.org" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JamesM
August 2, 2007, 01:53 AM
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=292885

a little further down the page

Greell
August 2, 2007, 02:16 AM
Lol, i'm dumb sometimes :)

Thanks JamesM

gunsmith
August 2, 2007, 07:32 AM
it is really out of date, and incorrect.
A darn shame as it once was the jewel of the net.

Jim Diver
August 2, 2007, 04:00 PM
Packing has always had uptime trouble. They go down at least once a year for a few days.

Do not panic. I expect they will be back in a few days or a week.

zoom6zoom
August 2, 2007, 09:08 PM
www.handgunlaw.us

Mojo-jo-jo
August 4, 2007, 01:33 AM
It appears that their authoritative DNS (Domain Name System) server is down. The domain name is no longer resolving and the DNS server ns1.packing.org (205.234.206.18) is down. I've also tried pinging PDO's web server by IP address (205.234.206.19). It does not respond either.

This sort of looks like they either didn't pay the hosting service bill, or they cancelled the account. That said, they have had trouble with their hosting provider that caused similar symptoms before.

PDO's owner seems to have lost interest in the site. He has done very little with it the last two or so years; I would bet that he doesn't even know it's down (that is, unless he intentionally shut it down or cancelled the hosting service).

As others have said, the "CCW database" there is horribly out of date--most states' data has not been updated in over two years. Most of the state page admins jumped ship about two years ago. Since then, the site's owner has not responded to anyone volunteering to update it, nor have any of the few remaining state page admins been able to contact him in quite some time. Additionally, there have been many problems with bickering, profanity, "rating wars" and spam in the forums.

It's a pity to see a pro-RKBA site go, and it looks like PDO very well may be out for the count.

nwilliams
August 4, 2007, 02:01 AM
This is a pretty good source of info....

http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/

230RN
August 4, 2007, 03:51 PM
I used to enjoy that site a lot, despite the faults in the rating system. It has apprently been under long-term attack by either outright antis or vandalistic mentalities. Probably both.

There were many complaints about the rating system, largely due to folks signing on under many different names and zeroing anyone they disagreed with (or for no particular reason at all) into oblivion.

It was a somewhat noble experiment in self-moderated boards, but the multiple sign-ons were a vulnerabilty much exploited by the aforementioned malefactors. And they soon caught on to the fact that with the averaging system for post ratings, new folks on the board were much more vulnerable to this attack.

The last time the board went down, Mr. solomon apparently modified the rating system so that just about the only rating anyone could give was a neutral 3, which tended to drive all ratings toward the neutral rating of 3. However, I expect that this was an interim solution to the problem.

And it led to more problems, to wit, that trolls and jerks were no longer subject to "peer" review and the posts were getting a little gamey.

At the time the rating system was changed to this system, the site was down for a little more than a week, if I recall correctly.

So it is possible that Mr. Solomon is changing the coding again with some new system to alleviate that problem.

Bear in mind that Mr. Solomon has refused individual financial aid (although I'm sure the site saw some income from the sale of PDO coiffee cups) and that his was a voluntary effort.

He also recently started Law School, and I'm sure that maintaining the site the way it ought to be is perhaps of a lower priority than previously. During this summer break, he may well be updating the information database as well as correcting the rating problems.

In any case, I wish him luck.

For, as someone said, it was a jewel of the net.

I for one, as a relatively new Permittee, learned an enormous amount from the more experienced defense shooters on the site. I discovered that there is a world of difference between punching Xs for sixty years and defense shooting.

For that which I have learned already, I am eternally grateful.

Thank you for your efforts, Mark Solomon, regardless of whether you are restoring the site or just letting it go.

If you enjoyed reading about "packing.org" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!