"Gun owners are compensating for something"

PDA

Oleg Volk
August 2, 2007, 01:50 AM
http://olegvolk.net/gallery/d/21531-2/compensating6356.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about ""Gun owners are compensating for something"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JamesM
August 2, 2007, 01:52 AM
Very nice. Cant argue with that statement.

Hoppy590
August 2, 2007, 01:54 AM
i prefer to answe like this
"what are you compensating for?!"
"my inability to throw small bits of lead at sever thousand feet per second"

skinnyguy
August 2, 2007, 02:08 AM
**standing ovation** THANKS Oleg!!! That's perfect!

Famine
August 2, 2007, 02:17 AM
"my inability to throw small bits of lead at sever thousand feet per second"

I like that. I'm going to use that as often as I can.

Ragnar Danneskjold
August 2, 2007, 02:26 AM
I think it would be a little more believable if she had a handgun that one could easily picture a female carrying for personal protection.

Oleg Volk
August 2, 2007, 02:28 AM
I am working on that version also.

However, that 5.45mm AK is her own gun, not a prop. I'd like to present EBR-owning women as mainstream.

ArfinGreebly
August 2, 2007, 02:35 AM
. . . more believable if she had a handgun . . .

Interesting, isn't it, how readily we accept the prejudices of the "liberated" bigots who can only imagine women carrying dainty "feminine" guns.

Our Barbara would find this amusing. She's an original EBR babe.

Part of Oleg's message is just that: the unexpected juxtapositioning of the "dainty" female with the "aggressive" (masculine?) EBR.

Sometimes a visual dissonance is just the thing to jar loose rusty thinking.

EDIT:
Naturally, while I'm in the kitchen shuffling vegetables, Oleg comes along and speaks for himself. Oh, well. He sez it better than I do.

Ragnar Danneskjold
August 2, 2007, 02:41 AM
I'm not accepting prejudices. I just know I don't carry my AR-15 around for protection against violent crime. That's what my subcompact Taurus is for. It makes more sense to me to be able to have a small handgun with me at all times than a battle-rifle(at least when I'm not doing Army stuff) But whatever. nm

And is the point to win over fence-sitters? Or is it to preach to us who already know the importance of firearms in a self-defense plan? Because if it's for fence-sitters, the sad fact is, you need to cater to those who you are trying to win. And if that stereotype is common that female carry small pistols for defense, than it is what it is. I would rather convince a fence-sitter that it's OK for a female to carry a small pistol for self-defense, than drive them away thinking we're all cooky "assault-rifle" toting zealots. To me it only seems logical. Small victories are much better than huge losses.

ArfinGreebly
August 2, 2007, 03:10 AM
And you are quite correct.

Nonetheless, Oleg's presentation of women with "outside the box" weaponry serves the additional purpose of busting stereotypes.

Yes, Blissful Ninny will inquire, "what's she doing with a machine gun??"

"Oh. You mean the rifle? That old thing? Heck, maybe if she would just bulk up and do some weight training, maybe score some steroids, she wouldn't need the firepower a rifle provides. Or maybe you were thinking the 'weaker sex' should have . . . less protection? Got something against women?"

Oleg Volk
August 2, 2007, 03:33 AM
http://olegvolk.net/gallery/d/21463-2/compensating0818.jpg

Other versions in the works.

Oleg Volk
August 2, 2007, 03:55 AM
http://olegvolk.net/gallery/d/21466-2/compensating0842.jpg

Not really concise but at least these are accurate. I'll work on better images and captions.

Colt
August 2, 2007, 08:04 AM
And is the point to win over fence-sitters? Or is it to preach to us who already know the importance of firearms in a self-defense plan? Because if it's for fence-sitters, the sad fact is, you need to cater to those who you are trying to win. And if that stereotype is common that female carry small pistols for defense, than it is what it is. I would rather convince a fence-sitter that it's OK for a female to carry a small pistol for self-defense, than drive them away thinking we're all cooky "assault-rifle" toting zealots. To me it only seems logical. Small victories are much better than huge losses

I agree. It's a neat poster, but more appropriate for gun boards than public billboards.

Maybe a good "middle ground" would be a woman carrying a medium or full-sized pistol. It would help to break the "girls carry toy pistols" stereotype wihtout jumping the shark.

Arkie
August 2, 2007, 08:08 AM
Well I have to say that those are very nice!

Take a photo of someone in a wheelchair. Now that would really make a statement.

Sistema1927
August 2, 2007, 08:24 AM
Regading the first picture:

Where are her shoes???

:neener:

(Good work, all of them.)

cambeul41
August 2, 2007, 08:25 AM
If it would really make someone's day for me to confess that I carry to compensate for something, The something is this: I am too old and too gimpy to either fight or run as I once could, but I still have my pride and independence, and I am too proud and independent too give up my freedom to go where I will, to hide behind walls, and to go out only in flocks of timorous sheeple — and then only to non-existent “safe places” as gun-grabbers constantly advise.

Picknlittle
August 2, 2007, 08:27 AM
Good job Oleg! I really like this series. I agree that the young lady should probably be holding a SD pistol instead of the AK though.:)

After looking at the pinkpistols website, I better understand your approach to that image, but it's only effective if you are singing to the choir.

Without knowing what the PinkPistols is about, it easy to see as a gay bashing slam or an even more extreme take would be, "Guns are for shooting fags"

The image without requisite understanding of the issue doesn't say anything positive. I only explored the pinkpistols site because of your explanation. Most people who are not gay, seeing the ad or poster wouldn't have need to look deeper.

Sorry,...I just don't like that ad,...these are great.

kludge
August 2, 2007, 08:42 AM
"I am compensating for my children, who can't run as fast as I can."

Great idea Oleg!

hso
August 2, 2007, 08:49 AM
I'm compensating for violent criminals running in gangs and being bigger and meaner than me.

I'm compensating for violent criminals being bigger and stronger and being more than willing to hurt me.

I'm compensating for 911 putting me on hold, the police taking 20 minutes to arrive...at the wrong address.

I'm compensating for violent criminals being bigger and stronger than my children.

tydephan
August 2, 2007, 08:51 AM
Oleg,

I typically refrain from commenting about your images. Not because I think they are bad or anything. I just generally don't have much to say about them.

Generally, one or two things stop them from really clicking with me. In other words, I think..."well...that is nice, but it doesn't really blow me away."

No offense intended. The images are always very clean and concise, they just don't illicit any emotion from me.

The first photo in this thread is just like that. I think..."hmmm...good image."

But the image of the family really strikes a chord. I'm sure it is because I have two children as well and their protection is the primary reason I concern myself with defense.

In my humble opinion, the one with the family is, outright, the best image I have ever seen you post.

fletcher
August 2, 2007, 09:00 AM
Great set of pictures.

Henry Bowman
August 2, 2007, 09:47 AM
Excellent, Oleg.

zeroskillz
August 2, 2007, 09:52 AM
+1 for the family. Sends a much better message than a 'chick' on the floor, barefoot, with an assault rifle, (read gun-nut). If these are meant to persuade, you need to look at them from the point of view of those you would try to persuade. And frankly, the only people you would attract with an AK47 posed such as that probably don't need any convincing.

StopTheGrays
August 2, 2007, 10:03 AM
In my humble opinion, the one with the family is, outright, the best image I have ever seen you post.
+1. Maybe not the best ever but there is just something about it that makes it seem right.

MinnMooney
August 2, 2007, 10:04 AM

Where are her shoes???

Answer : Hopefully she stuffed them down the throat of her would-be attacker!

If it would really make someone's day for me to confess that I carry to compensate for something, The something is this: I am too old and too gimpy to either fight or run as I once could, but I still have my pride and independence, and I am too proud and independent too give up my freedom to go where I will, to hide behind walls, and to go out only in flocks of timorous sheeple — and then only to non-existent “safe places” as gun-grabbers constantly advise.

I've got a few years on me, also, & know where you're comin' from. At 5' 7" and 160 lbs., I'm not exactly the biggest, baddest dude in town so a majority of BGs could see me as vulnerable. I feel that I could halt most situations from getting too far out of control by 'carrying'. I just refuse to be a sheeple.

MinnMooney
August 2, 2007, 10:06 AM
P.S. Keep up the good work, Oleg. You seem to be quite talented at it.

Kentak
August 2, 2007, 10:13 AM
Excellent, but would agree a handgun would seem to fit the context better.

K

SaMx
August 2, 2007, 10:26 AM
I like the second one the best, but the third comes close. They're all very good.

armoredman
August 2, 2007, 10:35 AM
Oustanding, sir.

the naked prophet
August 2, 2007, 11:58 AM
I've always wondered when you were going to do a picture with the caption:

"I'm compensating for something. I can't stop a violent attacker with my *****. Can you?"

Or something along those lines.

hoppinglark
August 2, 2007, 12:01 PM
Where are her shoes???

I Don't know if it's just me, but when i see a woman barefoot like that I assume she is in her home, guess it implies that she's studying for a college class or watching her favorite show on the idiot box, then hears a noise on the back poarch and is ready to do whatever she needs to do.

That's just what it implies to me.

fireflyfather
August 2, 2007, 02:42 PM
Sorry to be a killjoy, but trigger discipline on first picture. Hard to tell if she has finger on trigger or not. I zoomed in and it looks like no, but it's awful close.

Khornet
August 2, 2007, 02:57 PM
........I need a 1911 behind my hip to keep me from tipping forward all the time.

Technosavant
August 2, 2007, 03:00 PM
However, that 5.45mm AK is her own gun, not a prop. I'd like to present EBR-owning women as mainstream.

Mainstream? You call THAT mainstream?

Most of the 5.45mm AK magazines I have seen are plastic or Bakelite, not metal. I'm not sure if you can call those mainstream... :neener::D

Good poster.

tmajors
August 2, 2007, 03:03 PM

Where are her shoes???

Dammit beat me. I was gonna say "At least she isn't wearing flip-flops"

kungfuhippie
August 2, 2007, 03:08 PM
Great posters. Is it just me or does she look washed out in the first poster?
I'm compensating for living in the world, a cold dreary place full of evil men.

Correia
August 2, 2007, 03:10 PM
I think the first one is a little too wordy. Violent Attacker sounds too technical.

I would do a version with a CCW gun, and say "I'm compensating for being smaller than your average serial rapist."

rcellis
August 2, 2007, 03:13 PM
I've been impressed by these images/posters since I encountered them. Powerful. Thanks.

JamisJockey
August 2, 2007, 03:17 PM
When someone says "you're just compensating for something" I say
"Well, I am short and have a small :cuss:"
Throws them so far off gaurd that they never have a comeback. And usually puts me in a superior tactical position to lay down the RKBA argument for them.....
;)

1911Tuner
August 2, 2007, 04:30 PM
It's true. I'm compensating because between the time that I place a 911 call and the time the cavalry arrives, Pigsnot M. Crackhead, Esq. can wreck my whole night with the baseball bat that he calls "Mr. Snuggles."

akodo
August 2, 2007, 05:26 PM
remember, compensating is a shortfall you get outside help to overcome

Being smaller than the criminals is something you compensate for by having a gun.

you don't own a gun to compensate for having kids. Then it isn't compensation, it is preperation. you still have the basic compensation of most parents don't have time to pump iron in the federal pen 12 hours a day, but taht is really irrelevant of children or not

akodo
August 2, 2007, 05:35 PM
first picture.

I am smaller and weaker than most voilent criminals (who would prey on me is extra, that part implied) this makes it less wordy

Consider having the compensation statement afterward.

Am I compensating for something? YES!

maybe even start with I am a gun owner

(pic of girl)
I am a gun owner
I am smaller and weaker than most voilent criminals
Am I compensating for something? Hell yes!

(pic of standard male)
I am a gun owner
I am in good shape, but can't "pump iron" 12 hours a day

(pic of old guy with cane)
I am a gun owner
I cannot run away effectively

(pic of well built male)
I am a gun owner
I am strong, but there is only one of me, and a gang of them

it could be fun to have the males pose with snubnose revolvers, especially some of the ultrasnubnose large frame S&W performance center revolvers. Kinda throws that "If I am compensating for penis size, why choose a 2 inch barrel?" in there too

matt87
August 2, 2007, 05:42 PM
I like akodo's ideas. The general format is quite powerful. I may not have the way with words that others here clearly do, but here is an idea it gave me:

(pic of Jewish person)
I am a gun owner
I cannot rely on the government to protect me
Am I saying something? Never again!

Oohrah
August 2, 2007, 06:35 PM
I like the first one, simple and to the point.

elrod
August 2, 2007, 07:07 PM
+1 on the family.
Different, something you don't see every day. Very good first impression!:D

Stevie-Ray
August 2, 2007, 07:15 PM
Take a photo of someone in a wheelchair. Now that would really make a statement.Bravo. I would really appreciate that. I'd actually volunteer the picture, but the wife refuses to have her picture taken in her wheelchair. Fact is, it's the very reason I wanted to carry a gun for the last 20 years. I'm afraid we can't very well run from trouble anymore, so I wish to be prepared.

Standing Wolf
August 2, 2007, 08:39 PM
I'm compensating for the probability I'll be outnumbered by criminals.

blackhawk2000
August 2, 2007, 08:39 PM
Good pic. Safety should be on though.

grampster
August 2, 2007, 09:05 PM
I always like Oleg's pics. They are always very delicate and remind me of pastels done by very good artists. For me, there is that contrast between the delicate portrayal of humans against the substantial portrayal of the tools that allow us to be responsible for our own safety.

Good on ya, Oleg.

JShirley
August 2, 2007, 10:14 PM
Hard to tell if she has finger on trigger or not

It's pretty easy for me to tell. Even if it weren't obvious, in the picture her first finger is significantly longer than her other (bent) fingers!

phaed
August 2, 2007, 10:18 PM
very nice

iiibdsiil
August 2, 2007, 10:39 PM
I like 'em all! The girl in the first one kinda looks like a hippy, and I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

The one with the family, the mom reminds me of a cop/security guard/etc. Maybe if she had a coat on, with one hand on her hip, holding the coat back and revealing the gun or something.

One I'd like to see, maybe you have already done it, would be a female laying in bed, on her side, close to the edge of the bed, with a pistol on the nightstand next to her and a "She sleeps sound, do you?" or something like that.

fireflyfather
August 2, 2007, 10:41 PM
It's pretty easy for me to tell. Even if it weren't obvious, in the picture her first finger is significantly longer than her other (bent) fingers!

You could still have that effect with finger ON trigger. I didn't say trigger completely depressed (which would be roughly the same length). Then again, I'm an "outside the trigger guard" type of guy myself.

That said, these are all great posters. I'm just a nitpicky b@stard.

.cheese.
August 2, 2007, 10:48 PM
how about a photo of somebody at a mall carrying concealed (looks normal) with another photo next to it showing them lifting their shirt revealing the firearm.

Make sure to get a picture of unarmed mall security guards (with nothing but a radio) nearby in the first photo, and a caption that says:

"I'm compensating for a lack of adequate protection in most places." or something similar.

That's one of the main reasons I carry.

Target security guards: Unarmed
Walmart security guards: Unarmed
Hospital security guards: Unarmed
Mall security guards: Unarmed
Grocery store security guards: Unarmed
Bank security guards (in some cases): Unarmed
the list goes on.

Police aren't everywhere. In fact they're rarely right where I am. Rightfully so. They're not our babysitters. Once I realized that a few years ago, carrying just made sense.

.cheese.
August 2, 2007, 10:51 PM
OOH!

How about a split screen one with two people. A police officer with a caption of, "I'm not your babysitter."

and the other one to his right with a woman (or a guy) carrying that says, "He's not my babysitter."

Troutman
August 2, 2007, 11:14 PM
<<"Gun owners are compensating for something">>

That old line. Horse crap.

Answer: Yes, what the justice system (revolving door) is not doing.

Besides using different firearms. How about different lighting ratios (dramatic lighting).
Still lighting the firearm with barn-doors, cones, ect, ect. I see a lot of flat-lighting is done. Different expressions can say a lot as well.

NAK
August 3, 2007, 12:36 AM
I what you are trying to accomplish. All of your images are good, but like tydephan says, none have really really struck me emotionally (at least in the way you are looking for) until the one of the family, where the mother is armed. I think refinement of that image could result in something very powerful.

CajunBass
August 3, 2007, 12:32 PM
Yes, Blissful Ninny will inquire, "what's she doing with a machine gun??"

Because artillery takes up too much room.

budney
August 3, 2007, 12:39 PM
Wow--LOVE the first pic! When's it gonna be available as a wall poster?

http://olegvolk.net/gallery/d/21457-2/compensating6356.jpg

I'd pay extra for one with slightly tightened wording: "I'm compensating for being smaller and weaker than my attacker." Bonus points for the Kalashnikov.

--Len

Disclaimer: When I saw the subject line, I was expecting to see the usual four-inch barrel joke. I don't like that one, though, because it's low road, and it hits just a little bit too close to home. :D

scout26
August 3, 2007, 01:20 PM
Well Done, Sir !!!

Prehaps another with the same caption but with four people in it.

A Young woman
A young person in wheelchair
An Older person with a walker
A Cancer/Chemotherapy patient

And regarding the whole shoes/flip-flops thing. Crop their feet out of the pictures. ;) :D

ArfinGreebly
August 3, 2007, 02:40 PM
Keep the feet.

It's great visual dissonance.

barkingowl
August 3, 2007, 03:54 PM
I'm compensating for my non gun owning neighbors who run to my home in fear, because they can't protect themselves.

I really like your work Oleg!

budney
August 3, 2007, 04:04 PM
Out of curiosity, why are most of your pictures relatively high-key? Is it just because you like 'em that way, or because it's flattering to women's skin, or is there another reason?

roo_ster
August 3, 2007, 04:18 PM
Concept is terrific, if a bit wordy.

The one with the family strikes close to home, now that we have two toddlers.

chieftain
August 3, 2007, 04:23 PM
cambeul41

A confession

I RESEMBLE THAT REMARK.

Go figure.

Fred

MrPeter
August 3, 2007, 04:36 PM
first picture.

I am smaller and weaker than most voilent criminals (who would prey on me is extra, that part implied) this makes it less wordy

Consider having the compensation statement afterward.

Am I compensating for something? YES!

maybe even start with I am a gun owner

(pic of girl)
I am a gun owner
I am smaller and weaker than most voilent criminals

(pic of standard male)
I am a gun owner
I am in good shape, but can't "pump iron" 12 hours a day

(pic of old guy with cane)
I am a gun owner
I cannot run away effectively

(pic of well built male)
I am a gun owner
I am strong, but there is only one of me, and a gang of them

it could be fun to have the males pose with snubnose revolvers, especially some of the ultrasnubnose large frame S&W performance center revolvers. Kinda throws that "If I am compensating for penis size, why choose a 2 inch barrel?" in there too

You win for the best post in this thread. +1 on all of your ideas :D

And personally I would have the girl wear shoes. They're so bright and white that they distract the eyes. I would also have the safety on.

Good stuff oleg.

Cromlech
August 4, 2007, 10:29 AM
Once again Oleg, you have done us all proud. :cool:

JShirley
August 5, 2007, 11:28 PM
Yeah, the "who would prey on me", at the least, should go. I like the poster in general, aside from that.

She is something of a hippy. :)

kd7nqb
August 6, 2007, 12:22 AM
I like it but would much rather have seen it with a handgun, since large majority of attacks dont happen in the home and AK's dont conceal well.

pdowg881
August 6, 2007, 12:25 AM
I like the family one the best. I think a lot of people will identify with the idea of prtecting your family and children.

XD Fan
August 6, 2007, 08:54 AM
Great images, Oleg. Great idea for a series. I would love to see akodo's ideas incorporated into this series.

Carl N. Brown
August 6, 2007, 06:46 PM
The old compensating-for-inadequate-manhood argument
was trotted out by Carl Bakal in the 1960s. Don B. Kates
has a section exposing the fallacy of the penis theory of
gun control in one of his books. It is one of the limpest
arguments made for gun control, and can be countered by
quoted Sigmind Freud himself: a phobia of phallic symbols
is a sign of immature psychosexual development. So there!

We recently had a home invader captured after beating two
people to death with a baseball bat. His previous victim a
two years ago was a woman he stabbed to death in a
boarding house. I can't count on my left knee letting me
kick or run as well as I could forty years ago as a teenager,
and I am probably not up to fighting off a home invader
with my bare fists, so yeah, I am compensating for something.

Barbara
August 6, 2007, 09:50 PM
How about one that says:

"I'm compensating for all the gun owners on this board that seem to think my choice of home defense gun is something to be ashamed of?"

:neener:

Great pics, Oleg..

MOSINS
August 6, 2007, 09:52 PM
nice

very well done.

:)

If you enjoyed reading about ""Gun owners are compensating for something"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!