Common knowledge question


August 2, 2007, 02:26 AM
Excuse my ignorance, but as of right now, is it possible to buy an AK47, M16, or an M4?

If you enjoyed reading about "Common knowledge question" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!
August 2, 2007, 02:39 AM
Sure can......First find out if you can have one in your state, then find someone who has one for sale, then pay them lots of money for it, then they will hold onto it till you jump through all the state and federal hoops succesfully, eventually you will be able to take possesion of it.

August 2, 2007, 02:43 AM
Semi Auto versions are available in most states. the Federal 'ban' is over

full auto require finding one made and registered pre 1986. doing the paper work, paying 200$ and buying the gun which will be several thousand $ more. may not be legal in some states

Ragnar Danneskjold
August 2, 2007, 02:50 AM
Like others have said, if it's legal in your state, you can find someone who's willing to sell one, and you can afford it, than yes, it is legal. Here in MI, a police station nearby was auctioning off a old M16A2 with 3-round burst a while back IIRC. I believe it netted $10-15,000+, in addition to whatever taxes the buyer had to pay.

You can get civilian semi-auto versions of all the common battle-rifles for less than $2000.

August 2, 2007, 11:04 AM
Full-auto? Yes, depending on where you live and how much money you have. All are expensive ($10,000+). Some states allow them and some don't. Some local governments allow them and some don't. If your state allows FA but you're local government doesn't, you have to create a corporation or living trust to bypass the local gov approval.

August 2, 2007, 02:25 PM
Holy mother of God, that's a lot of money! Nevermind; I'll just buy another shotgun.


August 2, 2007, 02:28 PM
yup. jacked up prices are what you get when the government artificialy ( cough* illegal) limits the supply side of our good old supply and demand system. at the moment all the civi legal machine guns are those made and registered before 1986. demand will only go up. supply can only go down. and the .gov has effectively eliminated civilian machine gun ownership

August 2, 2007, 02:45 PM
You can always buy a civilian AK (they come in many calibers) or an AR-15 for ~$400 or ~$1.2k respectively.

August 2, 2007, 03:42 PM
Simple answer...YES

Mr White
August 2, 2007, 04:58 PM
Full auto AKs and M16s... yes, if you got the $$$

An M4, I'm not so sure about. They were made after 1986 so there wouldn't be any transferrable FA flattop uppers, I believe. I'm sure if I'm wrong someone will correct my mistake.

August 2, 2007, 05:36 PM
Sure, renounce your US citizenship and apply for resident status in Iraq.

Our government allows the folks there to have full auto up to .30 cal.

Glad to know our government defends someone's rights.

Here in the states, sure you can if you're wealthy.

August 2, 2007, 06:27 PM
AK, $400? Would I have to jump through hoops for that too?

August 2, 2007, 06:29 PM
AK, $400? Would I have to jump through hoops for that too?

That would be a semi-auto AK, not a full-auto.

As far as hoops, that depends on where you live.

August 2, 2007, 06:41 PM
Michigan, and semi is fine. Just curious.

Jorg Nysgerrig
August 2, 2007, 06:50 PM
If semi is ok, there are tons of AK/AR15/M16 clones available to you. Do an internet search for DPMS, Bushmaster, Armalite, and Rock River Arms just to get started.

You should be ok in Michigan as far as the state is concerned, but there may be local laws involved.

Mr White
August 2, 2007, 07:14 PM
Brainfart! disregard my post above. The lower is all that is registered so you could put whatever uppr on it you wanted. You can all stop laughing now. :(

If you enjoyed reading about "Common knowledge question" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!