Marlin 75, like a model 60?

PDA

balletto
August 2, 2007, 12:38 PM
My local gun store has a used Marlin 75 (.22LR 18'' barrel) for sale, for $110.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of info on this model on the interwebs, so my questions are:

1. a model 75 is essentially a model 60, but with a smaller magazine capacity, correct?
2. assuming it's in decent shape, should I get the used 75, or spend the extra few $ for a new model 60

If you enjoyed reading about "Marlin 75, like a model 60?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rantingredneck
August 2, 2007, 12:48 PM
I think that the actions are the same with the shorter magazine and also a shorter barrel/stock I believe. They are more of a carbine version, IIRC.

I don't own a 75 but I've been tempted several times. The local shop here had two a couple weeks ago, both were in the 150.00 range. I've seen one once at Gander Mtn. for 75. It didn't last long at that price.

dfaugh
August 2, 2007, 12:49 PM
Not familiar w/ model 75....But you can get a new Model 60 for $125 on sale. $110 is alot for any used .22. Used model 60s go for $60-75 aroiund here, in excellent condition.

P.S. My Model 60 is a tack driver with the right ammo

ArmedBear
August 2, 2007, 01:11 PM
Oh crap!

I guess I shouldn't have dropped 400 bucks on that old Marlin .22 I bought the other day...

And the guy who bought this one (same model) for 500 bucks REALLY got screwed.

http://san1.atlanta.gbhinc.com/GB/074264000/74264144/pix302732609.jpg
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=74264144#PIC

:D

minutemen1776
August 2, 2007, 02:12 PM
I've had both a Marlin 60 and 75 for many, many years. I like both of them. If you like the shorter Model 75, then get it. $110 is not that much money for a firearm. Frankly, you don't buy Marlin rimfires for their resale value--you buy them because you like them and they shoot well.

Based on my examples of these models, the 60 and 75 are mechanically the same. The barrel and magazine are slightly shorter on the 75. This was a bigger deal when the Model 75 was made, as the Model 60 then had 22-inch barrels, whereas they have 19-inch barrels now. Also, my 75 has factory sling swivels, which is something I've not seen on a stock Model 60. That feature, coupled with the short barrel, make the Model 75 a pretty handy woods gun.

Lastly, some may say that the Model 75 has a shorter stock than the Model 60, but that does not correspond with my experience. My rifles have the exact same length of pull--13.5 inches. If the 75 was ever offered as a short-stocked "youth gun," I've never seen one.

As I said, if you like the 75, then get it. You just don't see enough of them to regret not buying one when you get the chance.

BillinNH
August 2, 2007, 02:40 PM
For several years I've had a Marlin (well, it was actually sold as a Glenfield, but it's the same gun) model 75C with the barrel noticeably shorter than the old standard model 60 and one fewer round in the magazine tube. Other than that they appear to be identical.. When I decided to replace the wood Glenfield stock with a polymer/fiberglass one, I just ordered the stock for the Marlin 60 all-weather version and it popped right on, no fuss. There is no difference in the stock pull..

I am very happy with the performance, handling, accuracy and reliability of my 75C. It is a bit more accurate, not by much. than my stock 10/22. It's definitely a nice rifle, I'm sure you will like it, and you don't see them every day. I'd say go for it.

Bill

If you enjoyed reading about "Marlin 75, like a model 60?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!