Same bullet seater, different cartridge

PDA

MattB000
August 2, 2007, 01:10 PM
Is there any difference between a seating die for a .308 and a 30-30? Obviously, things like full length sizing dies would need to be different. What about a neck only sizer?

If you enjoyed reading about "Same bullet seater, different cartridge" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Stinger
August 2, 2007, 01:33 PM
It would probably depend more on the brand of dies...

30-30 seating dies are shaped to seat round or flat nose bullets. .308 seating dies are shaped to seat spitzer-shaped bullets.

I would guess they would work okay either way, but one would not be ideal to use with the other.

ranger335v
August 2, 2007, 03:24 PM
Which way are you hoping to work?

Using a .30-30 seater to load a .308 probably won't work, the larger diameter case is likely to hit the die chamber sides before the bullet enters the neck.

Seating a 30-30 in a .308 seater may work ok.

I doubt the seating stems will cause you any difficulty, either way.

The diameter of the case necks is different (30-30 brass is thin) so neck sizers won't interchange even tho the lengths are simular.

MattB000
August 2, 2007, 04:49 PM
I was considering using .308 to load 30-30, but I'll probably just end up buying the 30-30 dies. I just can't seem to find any premium dies for 30-30 (which makes sense since it's not exacly a high-performance round). I guess I've just grown accustomed to all the features of expensive dies. I know, I'm a snob, but at least I can admit it. :)

BigJakeJ1s
August 2, 2007, 11:57 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by "premium", but Forster makes a FL 30-30 die set. Hornady too. Redding has bushing dies, but only their standard (not competition) seating die.

Andy

MattB000
August 3, 2007, 01:35 AM
I'm not sure what you mean by "premium"

Something with a micrometer adjustment would be a good start.

Sunray
August 3, 2007, 01:44 AM
"...was considering using .308 to load 30-30..." You can't use .308 dies to reload .30-30. Not even the seater die.
The .308 die set should come with two seater plugs. One for spitzer bullets and one for round nosed. The .30-30 die set will likely come with just a round nosed seater rod. Seater rods are interchangeable, but not the die. Mind you, if you're shooting a tube mag lever action .30-30, you don't want pointed bullets for a it anyway.

BigJakeJ1s
August 3, 2007, 09:30 PM
Something with a micrometer adjustment would be a good start.

Forster Ultra Benchrest dies have a micrometer seater. Hornady has an optional micrometer adjuster for any of their seaters. Both available in 30-30.

Andy

If you enjoyed reading about "Same bullet seater, different cartridge" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!