Canada Geese in NJ

PDA

harbinger_j
August 2, 2007, 04:35 PM
I am a new hunter and am looking for some advice.
In NJ we have a special Sept. season for canada geese because they are such a nuisance.
The daily bag limit is 15!
Assuming I can shoot up to 15 what will I do with them all?
I don't think I will want to pluck them all, I have heard about just cutting the breast meat out.
What do I do with the carcass? This is Northern NJ, I don't want to be fined $X for leaving a pile of dead carcasses in the woods. Also I don't want to bring them all home since I live in an urban area.

Has anyone ever hunted on a golf course? It is a weird question but with the problem geese are here I'd think they'd love to have hunters take some geese.

I have plenty of other questions but wanted to know this first, any other advice would be greatly appreciated especially about geese in the north east.

If you enjoyed reading about "Canada Geese in NJ" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
41magsnub
August 2, 2007, 05:01 PM
I don't suppose you have hutterites in your area? In Eastern MT where I go hunting we can take the birds into them and they run them through their turkey plucker saving a boat load of time.

As far as cooking them so they are edible.. I am still working on that.

Vern Humphrey
August 2, 2007, 05:12 PM
I only kill what I can eat. But you can skin geese, which is easier than plucking. Gut them, wrap them in freezer paper and freeze them.

You may also find organizations to which you can donate game to feed the hungry -- http://www.huntershelpingthehungry.org/

DogBonz
August 2, 2007, 05:23 PM
I have always heard that due to the fact that they injest a lot of pesticides and fertilizer from lawns that they are not good eating.

If you enjoyed reading about "Canada Geese in NJ" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!