Lead mine closure?

PDA

USMC6177
August 2, 2007, 09:59 PM
Has anyone heard anything about a large lead mine in the US being shut down due to enviromental issues and that it would increase the price of lead30%? Heard this from a friend.

If you enjoyed reading about "Lead mine closure?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rkh
August 2, 2007, 11:07 PM
This is either false or greatly exaggerated.

Our country's lead industry has been all but dead for the last 30 years. Lead smelting is just too dirty for it to be done economically within the US. While it's possible that American lead ore is shipped abroad for processing (or that a few smelters remain in operation), I suspect that it's not commonly done.

Get more details and post back here.

Harold Mayo
August 3, 2007, 05:44 PM
Lead industry all but dead for the last thirty years...? What...?

Don't tell that to the lead mining companies like Doe Run. The lead mines in Missouri produce about 80% of the lead used in the US (mined and smelted) and about 10% of the world's total.

Lead mining has ALWAYS been very brisk in the US. You can't ship lead ore abroad for processing very economically, primarily because of transportation costs.

As for shutting down...? All of the lead mines are EXPANDING. Metals prices keep getting higher as demand increases and the lead mines are working to gain ground. Doesn't mean lead prices will be any cheaper, though.

rkh
August 3, 2007, 09:08 PM
And the ore is smelted in MO?

Really? Wow. The lead smelters I grew up around all shut down as a result increasingly severe environmental laws and toxic tort suits.

If what you're stating is correct, I apologize for speaking too soon.

scout26
August 3, 2007, 09:39 PM
There's a lead reprocessor/smelter in Oregon that's in a bit of trouble with the Oregun EPA.

Where did I see that. Oh, here it is:

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=112349

Harold Mayo
August 3, 2007, 10:40 PM
I see that you're in CT. Not sure where you grew up, though. You have to understand that, in the lead belt of Missouri, environmental problems aren't as much of an issue. Kids with birth defects and such are just par for the course and it's difficult to determine if it's the lead or the inbreeding. Although I grew up near there, my sole birth defect is scarcely noticeable and my family tree actually has branches but the same cannot be said of all of the residents of the area.

oneshooter
August 3, 2007, 10:42 PM
The fab shop I work at just got an order for 12ea 78ton capacity lead pots. These are going to Mexico.

Oneshooter
Livin in Texas

GRIZ22
August 4, 2007, 02:00 AM
I've seen copper, gold, and silver mine close and reopen later. This is done when the yield from a mine isn't profitable. When the price of the metal goes up they reopen the mine.

I don't know if they do this with lead mines.

Nomad101bc
August 4, 2007, 02:24 AM
Well I have noticed alot more recycling within the firearms industry. For instance cabelas sells alot of reloads and many places collect brass etc. I think the firearms industry needs to start recylcling even more so that it will hopefully bring down demand. You know stop having these idiots melt down the so called illegal guns and let us scrap em for thier stocks, barrels, etc. the only illegal portion tends to be a reciever etc.

Mat, not doormat
August 4, 2007, 09:59 PM
Yeah, I know doe run, I've hauled out of both their Boss, MO facility, and the one at Herculaneum, any number of times. Really gives you a sense of how dense lead is, when you see the ingots they cast, which are about the size of a small television, and weigh an even ton.

My only gripe with them is the poor quality of wood they give ya to brace the load with. Last three times I've hauled the stufff, I've wound up with one or more ingots wandering about the inside of my trailer, from busted wood.

~~~Mat

If you enjoyed reading about "Lead mine closure?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!