How to book?

PDA

wolfe28
August 3, 2007, 12:00 AM
I realize that having someone to take you hunting is one of the best ways to learn, but that isn't always possible. Does anybody have a suggestion for a book that gives you the "in's and out's" of hunting?
I'm looking for info on: what types of vegetation to look for (for different species), what times of year to scout for what prey, what terain features to look for (again, different species), what those solunar tables that they always publish in field and stream can be used for, etc.
The actual shooting and field dressing I think I've got covered, but aside from trying to be observent while taking a walk in the woods, I could use some help.
Thanks,
D

p.s. If the book was written like the exploits of Allen Quartermain, that would probably be perfect, but I'll settle for a decent source of info.

If you enjoyed reading about "How to book?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sunray
August 3, 2007, 02:58 AM
Go to your public library and read everything they have. You need to learn the habits of whatever you're hunting. Look for the books about game tracks too. None of 'em read like a novel though.
Gun shows are usually a good source for books too. As is Amazon. There are lots of books about deer and deer hunting, but you really can't learn to hunt from a book.

eliphalet
August 3, 2007, 10:22 AM
I'd get something written years ago, information that teaches hunting and not the latest greatest product, it is a skill you need to learn. Read from guys that did their own hunting not that had a guide take em out and point out the animal for them, as many of the mag writers today seem to do.. A book will show you many good ideas but nothing will replace time in the field.
You mentioned solar tables. I have caught fish with good success when the tables said no, and viceversa. Some claim it works I found it to be a joke. If you have the chance go fish or hunt whatever the moon says.

DogBonz
August 3, 2007, 10:29 AM
The NJ Hunter Safety video is actually pretty good. Cheesey, but good. It shows proper shot placement, field dressing, how to judge the size and age of deer, ect. And... It's free from the state fish & game folks.

I'm sure if you google it you can find a link.

Art Eatman
August 3, 2007, 12:19 PM
See if a local library has the "Big Three" outdoor mags: Field & Stream, Sports Afield, and Outdoor Life. These have numerous "how to" articles, as well as the various writeups of actual hunts.

Lots of articles on what to look for as to terrain for bedding areas and feeding areas--and the game trails that connect them. And lots more...

Art

If you enjoyed reading about "How to book?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!