How many mag's is ''enough''!!??

PDA

P95Carry
July 1, 2003, 10:15 PM
I sometimes see guys with a fistful of mags .. may be 1911, HP, AK, whatever .... but it makes me wonder, how many is in fact ''enough'' ...... leaving aside shtf paranoia where we may think there could never be enough!:p

Let's say things are essentially ''normal'' ....... whatever that means! I have four mags for AK (excluding the small 10 rnd one) ..... 5 for my L1A1, a fixed 20 in old SKS and 2 30 rounders for Norinco SKS ........ three for P97, three for P95 and four for my FEG HP clone. My HP-22 has the two it came with and Ruger 22/45 likewise ... just the two.

Guess speedloaders are ''mags'' too in a way .... only have 2 for my M85 snub and 2 for my ''N'' frame M27-2.

So ... what is ''enough''?? I consider i have enough for carry and general ''duty'' ... only plus to me having more is at a shoot, when I can have gotten em all loaded in advance and then enjoy more shooting time.

If you enjoyed reading about "How many mag's is ''enough''!!??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
FJC
July 1, 2003, 10:21 PM
Well, in my carry guns, I like to have two spare magazines with me. So, I suppose the minimum would be three.

I like to have plenty more, though, so that I don't have to do so many reloads at the range. :) Also, I like to have plenty so that I can cycle through them and pick the 'best of the best' for my carry mags.

On average I probably have about 5-8 magazines per pistol.

Tamara
July 1, 2003, 10:24 PM
I dunno.

I have, like, 15 or so for my HK91 and more for my 1911's.

I have two for my AR70 and one for my HSc.

Probably somewhere between those two extremes should be okay. :)

Skunkabilly
July 1, 2003, 10:24 PM
5 for handguns, 10 for long guns.

BlkHawk73
July 1, 2003, 10:32 PM
I'm content having 3 or 4 myself. I see people at the range and online saying they need lots of them so they don't need to reload as often. Well, you still need to load them. If it's at the range or elsewhere, they still need the same amount of time to load them. Are we getting that lazy?

no offense FJC, I didn't read yours until afterI typed mine out.

TheFrontRange
July 1, 2003, 10:33 PM
I like at least five and am moving toward ten per firearm. I carry at least one spare mag with any CCW handgun I'm packing and I really prefer two spares at a time.

I have five Wilson mags and one factory mag for my Kimber and am going to pick up more Wilsons soon. I've had my SIG P239 a short time and have only three mags for it currently. I have five mags for my SAR1, a mix of 30- and 40-rounders.

When I carried a revolver I kept at least two speedloaders on me and would do so again...I'd probably even pack along some speed-strips or something for even more on-board ammo.

I like to periodically rotate carry mags, too, as mentioned by FJC.

10-Ring
July 1, 2003, 10:40 PM
I asked the same question a few months ago. Since then, I've collected 5 for each of my pistols.

para.2
July 1, 2003, 10:41 PM
I agree with Skunkabilly!?!?:scrutiny: :what:

P95Carry
July 1, 2003, 10:45 PM
Interesting the mention of ''pick the best'' ..... sorta deal. True when i think about it .... hmmm ... maybe i need a ''few'' more!

Mind you, when you total up expense on mags .. sometimes you can finish up spending half the value of the piece they are for! So, do I lash out on more mags or ..... get that ''next gun'' first!

Oh decisions .... decisions ......... :p

Soap
July 1, 2003, 10:50 PM
5 mags for toys
30+ for serious guns that you train with. They break, they get lost, etc., have replacements.

Skunkabilly
July 1, 2003, 10:51 PM
I asked the same question a few months ago. .

Wait...didn't **I** ask? You thunder thief!

Mastrogiacomo
July 1, 2003, 10:56 PM
There's never enough!!:evil:

cool45auto
July 1, 2003, 10:57 PM
I carry 2 with my Beretta. I have another 5 for range trips. I only have the 2 that came with my Neos but plan on adding more. With the stripper clips I only have one magazine for my SKS.

GhostShooter
July 1, 2003, 10:58 PM
It is better to have and not need than need and not have.

http://www.stopstart.freeserve.co.uk/smilie/2M16.gif

seeker_two
July 1, 2003, 10:59 PM
At least 4 for each gun. Double that if you shoot any competition. That way you cut down on the wear & tear on each. My only exception is my SMLE (only 2 for it) b/c the mag doesn't play as big a part in feed reliability as it would on a semi-auto.

For carry, at least 1 spare mag on your person & at least 1 spare in the car.

Destructo6
July 1, 2003, 11:39 PM
I usually go by the max number I can carry (LBE/holster's spare pouch), plus a couple or so for spares.

That translates to about a baker's dozen for rifles and 3 for pistols. Anything on top of that is gravy.

Spieler
July 2, 2003, 12:07 AM
For handguns I like to have at least 5 mags for each and 10 for semi-auto rifles. Of course, I never hesitate to pick up many more than that when I find good deals on them. I am of the opinion, however, that most of my toys will far outlast me given the proper care. In 17 years only one of the original 5 mags I bought with my G17 has gone 'bad', but is still good enough for range work.

VaughnT
July 2, 2003, 12:10 AM
I like to have about five per pistol, though that's just a random pick. I happen to have six for my .45, but that's just to allow me a standard 50rnd loadout (5-8r +1-10r).

My rifles don't use detachable magazines.

4thHorseman
July 2, 2003, 12:27 AM
"I'm out of ammunition! That's never happened to me before!" - Burt Gummer in Tremors:D

sm
July 2, 2003, 01:04 AM
Never "enough", I always "want" at least two more .

The least # I own is 4 (speedloaders) for a revo, and 5 mags for a semi that fills a niche.

I took twenty five 1911 mags to the range to break in a new gun, gunsmith brought 10 more...I still wanted more...

Three 5 gal buckets of 45 ACP shot in one day, and had to quit shooting to fill mags up...life ain't fair...all that wasted time...:D

chetrogers
July 2, 2003, 01:50 AM
I have a 40round mag and 2 30 round mags for my ak..

And 2 clips for my hand gun..

Other then that my .22 rifle only has one mag

and double barrel shotgun doesn't need mag..

Im so broke that id rather spend the money i do have on ammo and not clips

Dr.Rob
July 2, 2003, 02:10 AM
Never enough.

Esp if you shoot competition. I've got 10 or so for my FEG, and i might get a few more while they are still cheap. Springs wear out, bodies get bent, these things happen.

Granted I only have 2 for my Savage 30-06, but $40 for a 4 shot mag is pretty steep.

six 4 sure
July 2, 2003, 02:16 AM
Seven.

One in the gun, two back ups, two to rotate in to extend spring life, and two left NIW as back ups when one breaks.

I like to have more for those extended range sessions.

six

WhoKnowsWho
July 2, 2003, 02:19 AM
I have four for my Sig 225, I wish I had at least that many for everything else, just don't get around to spending for mags when I want more ammo or another firearm instead.

Strangely, I have the least number of mags for my carry pieces, one 7 round and one 10 round for the P32 and the original 2 with the Kahr. :confused:

3 1911 mags, 3 AR mags, 2 for everything else I think... only one USP mag though... boo hoo... :(

WonderNine
July 2, 2003, 03:04 AM
I like to have AT LEAST 8 or so really nice factory quality prebans for carry or defensive purposes per pistol and about 15 good quality preban capacity range mags per gun.

For example I have quite a few factory 13 rounders for my Hi-Power and several more hi-quality aftermarket 15 rounders. And I have about 15 of the 17 round KRD preban mags and one 15 round Promag that I use at the range. Actually, I've never had a problem with any of the cheaper mags either. I wouldn't feel uncomfortable using the KRD's or the Promag for carry or home defense, but of course would rather use the factory or Mec-Gars for that duty.

I like to load the range mags before hand that way I don't have to mess around so much loading mags at the range. No I don't consider it laziness. And it all fits in the duffle bag much better that way.

greyhound
July 2, 2003, 07:49 AM
I have 5 for my Ruger P97. Never thought about it but at $30 a pop I pretty much have half the cost of the gun in mags!

foghornl
July 2, 2003, 08:00 AM
I have 4 mags for both my KP-90 ruger and Springfield Champion 1911-A1. About 500 rounds on strippers for the Mosin-Nagant M-44, and 400 or so in the M-1 Garand en-bloc clips. Other weapons don't use clips or box magazines.

July 2, 2003, 08:07 AM
I have always had at least six for any magazine fed gun. In the guns I actually shoot a lot, or carry, I have at least double that. I like to have practice/competition magazines and then have a set of magazines that have been test fired and carried. If it is a gun that is subject to law on large capacity mags, I have a set of 6 full capacity mags and a set of 10 rounders that I actually shoot with. In the AR I have over 30 mags. This is a little different because I bought some of them just to see how they ran. For example I bought six Thermolds and six Orolites just to try them. Then I have five round mags, 20 round mags, and 30 round mags. Then I have a "good" set of USGI mags and a "play" set of USGI mags.

Kharn
July 2, 2003, 08:41 AM
If you need a hand-cart to move all the mags for a single rifle, you might have enough.

Maryland's law against traveling with a loaded magazine really cuts down on my need for mags, as I have to load them up at the range and unload when I want to leave. Currently, I only have like 6 AR mags (2 rifles), 2 AK mags (1 rifle), 5 FAL mags (1 rifle, $3 per mag lets me get some extras :D ), and 4 1911 mags (2 pistols, only counting the ones that work) and 2-3 mags each for all my other firearms.

Kharn

keithernTN
July 2, 2003, 10:40 AM
I try to stay with a minimum of five per.

BigG
July 2, 2003, 11:23 AM
All of em. :cool:

dude
July 2, 2003, 11:24 AM
I'd say three........'cause that's all I ever felt the need to have for my P7!

btw- with HK factory P7 mags there is no need to 'pick the best operating ones' for carry as they all work perfectly

my 1911 project will not be as simple though methinks

RustyHammer
July 2, 2003, 12:58 PM
Never enough mags, never enough ammo ... :rolleyes:

blades67
July 2, 2003, 01:10 PM
Well, for magazine fed guns the minimum is one.:neener: Thank you, Obvious Man. :rolleyes: I think three is good for range and carry guns. More than that is gooder.:D

brownie0486
July 2, 2003, 01:18 PM
You have enough mags when you are done fighting and have two left unused in the gun battle.

Anything less is, well, not enough.

Brownie

Penforhire
July 2, 2003, 01:36 PM
Five mags per handgun sounds about right to me (or three plus repair parts). I feel more casual about speedloaders. Two are fine for me since that is enough for my immediate SD and, if SHTF, you don't really need speedloaders to make revo's work.

JeepDriver
July 2, 2003, 05:33 PM
Currentyly I have

8 for the P95
8 for the 92FS
3 for the P239
6 for the BHP
3 for the Bersa 380
3 for the G17 (Gotta get some more for it)
10 for the AK
4 Speed loaders for the 686, 681 & GP100 (I need some more)

I still feel like I need more. Don't know why I feel that way, but I can't stop buying mags

alan
July 2, 2003, 05:46 PM
I suspect that a good bit of the "answer" gets to be subjective". How many do YOU feel comfortable with?

4v50 Gary
July 2, 2003, 05:50 PM
A little is good,

more is better,

too much is just about right.

I want to be just about right. Everyone should be just about right. Let's hope that the '94 AGB sunsets and we can all be just about right. :D

BallisticTip
July 2, 2003, 05:58 PM
Minimum requirements, 3 hand gun 7 long gun, fills up you typical mag pouches.

Smoke
July 2, 2003, 06:29 PM
Agree with 3 minimum. (Providing the three work flawlessly.)

More if you can afford it. 10 or more is starting to get redundant. (which can be a good thing)

Tharg
July 2, 2003, 06:35 PM
I've only got 3 for my mini-14 and HK USPcompact .40

one speed loader for the Taurus Tracker

The .22 is an old marlin w/ a tube magazine... heh

I guess i could use more.... but don't have the need currently :evil:

J/Tharg

CWL
July 2, 2003, 06:36 PM
At least 6 per 'working handgun', gives you opportunity to rotate them for carry 3 at a time. Also provides spares if one or two go down & you don't get a chance to replace immediately.

"working rifles', probably a dozen, though 3 should be enough for limited applications or hunting.

Play weapons need at least 2 for ease of reloading while plinking.

P95Carry
July 2, 2003, 06:38 PM
I quite forgot about my Mini ... I also have only 3 mags for that. Just unpacked some stuff from weekend shoot ... hell my memory is goin .... I have 5 mags for FEG, 3stds and a 10rnd for P97, and only the three for P95 ...... gotta remedy that!

Big Iron
July 2, 2003, 08:08 PM
The number of rounds the mag holds determines the number of that mag you should have. EXAMPLE: 10 round mag = 10 mags owned, 30 round mag = 30 mags owned. Then, multiply by the total number of firearms you own, and divide by two. If you have any cash left, get a few more of each. Of course, anytime you find a real steal, you should add more. And don't forget to factor in your current age.

One day our kids, or your grandkids may be glad you did! Nothing sadder, or more useless, than firearms with no mags.

WingZero
July 2, 2003, 08:17 PM
how many pockets do you have? One mag per pocket, might be enough...:D

just kidding......... I always carry two mags..... I think that 2-3 is enough.

Chris Rhines
July 2, 2003, 08:21 PM
How much use is a magazine-fed firearm with no magazine to feed it?

20-30 or more per gun, and you can never have too many. Magazines are expendables.

- Chris

If you enjoyed reading about "How many mag's is ''enough''!!??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!