Primers going in sideways?

PDA

Eightball
August 3, 2007, 04:19 AM
While reloading some .38 again today, there were a few primers that somehow wound up sideways in the brass. Granted, I was going a slight bit faster than normal, but never seen/heard of this happening. Yes, the things seated correctly in the primer cup doohicky, but when I dropped the brass onto the primer, occasionally it would just wind up sideways once every 20 rounds or so. Is the easy advice just "slow down a bit", or is there something else the matter?

If you enjoyed reading about "Primers going in sideways?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
caz223
August 3, 2007, 08:19 AM
What press???
If it's a dillon 550, as I suspect, clean off your primer slide it should move without binding or chattering.
If you try to go to fast it pops the primer sideways, or out of the cup when it hits the stop.

rdhood
August 3, 2007, 09:10 AM
At one time, I pressed some primers in sideways with a Lee press before I realized that I was using the large primer holder with the small pistol primers.

RexDart
August 3, 2007, 03:03 PM
I had a similar issue with the priming system on my Lee Classic Cast press. The problem turned out to be that the halves of the feed tube/trough had started to separate, allowing the primers to turn on the way down. Snapping it back tight cured it. No problems since.

benedict1
August 3, 2007, 03:08 PM
If it's a Lee Load Master there are now excellent videos available to troubleshoot all priming-related issues. They were posted in this forum at

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=292602

If you enjoyed reading about "Primers going in sideways?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!