these will work with the lee anniversary set right?

PDA

cajun47
August 3, 2007, 01:28 PM
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=885350&t=11082005

4 die set ^^^^

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=140349&t=11082005

3 die set ^^^^

what does the extra die do in the 4 die set?

If you enjoyed reading about "these will work with the lee anniversary set right?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hawk
August 3, 2007, 02:11 PM
They'll work with either the Challenger (Anniversary Kit) or Reloader (Anniversary Pack).

Both die sets include a combo bullet seater / crimp die which can seat and crimp in one operation or two operations if preferred.

The 4-die set includes a separate "Factory crimp die". If (the FCD) is used, the combo die would be adjusted to "no crimp". The FCD has a post-size functionality that can be "dialed out" if desired.

The Midway description of the 3-die set does not show the crimp functionality of the combo die but I believe it shows up in the fine print.

How'd I do for someone that doesn't own any Lee dies yet?

Texastbird
August 3, 2007, 03:50 PM
I use the factory crimp die on my 45 acp loads. One of my 45s has a real tight chamber and the factory crimp die sizes the whole case and the finished cartridges work fine in that gun now. It makes more sense to me to seat the bullet first and then crimp the case second. On my 38s and 9mm I use the 3 die set with no problem but I may get a fcd for the 9mm since I use once fired brass sometimes, and it doesn't take much more time to run them through the fcd. If you want to make sure every load will chamber in any gun, then the fcd will do the job.

Zeke Menuar
August 3, 2007, 04:42 PM
I use the Lee crimp dies for 45acp and .223.

My press is a Challenger circa 1997.

ZM

BigJakeJ1s
August 3, 2007, 09:11 PM
The Carbide FCD, for straight wall pistol cartridges, has an adjustable crimp ring to set the amount of crimp, in a similar manner to setting a seating die to crimp separately, with the seating stem backed out. The post sizing cannot be "dialed out", but the crimping can. It irons out any buckles, etc. from improper crimping, seating, etc.

The plain FCD, for rifle and bottleneck pistol cartridges, has an adjustable collet that does the crimping. It does not have a post-size function.

Andy

Uncle Don
August 3, 2007, 09:20 PM
Yes, fourth die is as explained above, but all work in any brand of press with the exception of the Dillon Square Deal.

RustyFN
August 3, 2007, 10:10 PM
How'd I do for someone that doesn't own any Lee dies yet?
You did good Hawk. It sounds like it's about time you get a set of Lee dies now.:D
Rusty

Hawk
August 4, 2007, 12:00 AM
You did good Hawk. It sounds like it's about time you get a set of Lee dies now.

Thanks. I'm in agreement on getting some Lee. At least I just ordered some shell holders. My miscellaneous discovery of the evening is that those Hornady hand-prime gizmos that work with standard shell-holders don't work with Redding's shell holders. :fire:

...and I evidently got the FCD part that can be "dialed out" exactly backwards from reality. Oh well, will do better next time.
:o

If you enjoyed reading about "these will work with the lee anniversary set right?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!