Shipping a gun to US from Europe

PDA

still442
August 3, 2007, 05:00 PM
I'm about to go to Italy for 2 weeks on vacation. Of course I cannot bring a gun with me, but I plan to look for a pistol while there.

What is the legal way to ship a firearm from Italy to the US? Do I need to use an FFL, or if I buy it legally in Italy, can I just Fed Ex to my house?

I'm talking about a handgun here, not a long gun...

If you enjoyed reading about "Shipping a gun to US from Europe" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MD_Willington
August 3, 2007, 05:15 PM
You need a qualified FFL willing to fill out a form 6, there is some detail on that at the BATFE's website

CWL
August 3, 2007, 05:31 PM
Are you able to legally purchase a pistol while in Italy? Doesn't sound very legal unless you have an importers permit.

MisterPX
August 3, 2007, 05:37 PM
After importers/customs, etc., unless it's a unique pistol, it'll be way more cost effective to purchase one in the US.

mp510
August 3, 2007, 05:46 PM
Check into an importer. Do a google search, and you may be able to find one that can work with you.
Also, if it is a handgun, it needs to meet the GCA '68 points scale.

Mortech
August 3, 2007, 07:31 PM
And not to mention a lllooooooonnnnggggg wait for it , I've got about 8 months of a 1 year wait to get a Glock from a friend in Australia . And the paperwork :what: , if I didn't really like this person ... well lets say I'll never do this again :uhoh:

Jim K
August 3, 2007, 08:35 PM
Believe me, it won't be worth it. First, two weeks won't give you much time and IMHO anyone who goes to Italy and spends his time in gun stores is really weird. There is so much to see and do that spending time gun shopping is ridiculous. (This from someone who lived in Italy for well over a year and didn't see anywhere near all the things I wanted to see.)

Second, in two weeks you would have to find the gun you want, explain to a dealer (in your presumably perfect Italian) what you want to do, see if the dealer knows an exporter, get the paperwork from the Italian government (lots of luck!), get export approval, and arrange with the dealer to hold the gun until you return to the U.S. and apply for and get U.S. import approval.

The fact is that most of the modern guns that can be imported into the U.S. are already being imported and it would be a lot easier to buy one here after you return. Meanwhile, enjoy the beautiful countryside and unmatchable sights of Italy. You can buy lots of guns in the U.S. You can't see Rome or Florence or Pisa from an American gun store.

Jim

CWL
August 3, 2007, 08:57 PM
Oh yeah, with the high exchange rate between US$ and Euros, it might be cheaper for you to spend your money on Fava beans and a nice bottle of Chianti...

Sunray
August 3, 2007, 10:40 PM
I'd forget it. Very few, if any, European countries allow tourists to buy firearms of any kind. In Italy, "Common firearms (sportshooting, hunting and self-defence) may be sold only to person holding a gun licence or an authorization from the Police." Handguns are considered to be "common".
Oddly visitors can carry firearms if in possession of European Firearms Pass.

Fosbery
August 4, 2007, 10:54 AM
Yeh I'd forget it. Only European countries I know of that let non-residents buy guns are Switzerland and Bulgaria.

still442
August 15, 2007, 11:53 AM
***Idea forgotten***

Thanks for setting me straight!

If you enjoyed reading about "Shipping a gun to US from Europe" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!