Long Gun Laws in NY and CT

PDA

ArtMajor21
August 4, 2007, 12:29 AM
Hi, I am trying to find information on buying and owning a shotgun... I currently live in Connecticut but may be moving to the New York (Long Island) area. I am also really confused trying to understand the laws for both states.

From my understanding and please correct me if I am wrong, but both Connecticut and New York (non NYC) require background checks and waiting periods for purchase, but don't require a license or the shotgun to be registered

My main concerns are what do i have to do in either states to obtain a shotgun?
Does either state require training or classes? (even if not I will get some)
Can I transfer it easily if/when I move states?
Can I transfer it back and forth with me (unloaded and cased of course) for use in either state (use being hunting with valid license or rec /target shooting)

Also...

Do gun shows in either state have the same waiting period? I am not it that much of a rush to get one but I am just curious to know. This is a lot of information and a lot of questions but I thank everyone in advance for their help.

Brian

If you enjoyed reading about "Long Gun Laws in NY and CT" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Prince Yamato
August 4, 2007, 01:52 AM
There is no waiting period for long guns in NYS. Not sure about CT. All guns purchased at a dealer require that you go through the NICS which is a FEDERAL background check.

Todd A
August 4, 2007, 01:09 PM
First I have no idea about NY. Here in CT you will have a 14 day waiting period for rifles/shotgun unless you have a valid hunting lisense (or pistol permit). With the instant check done after the 14 days when you pick up the firearm.

You are right that there is no mandatory registration of shotguns, however a purchase made in a gunshop is reported to and recorded by the state. A private sale of rifle/shotgun is not required to be reported.

No class is required for rifles/shotguns. Transport of an unloaded rifle/shotgun in your vehicle is OK.

Gunshows in CT are regulated...Anyone transfering a firearm at a show must go through the instant check system but I do not believe the waiting period applies.

Smitty in CT
August 4, 2007, 01:15 PM
In CT, there is a 14-day waiting period if you don't have a hunting license or Pidtol permit, To get a hunting license you have go through a D.E.P. apporoved Firearms Safety / Hunter Education course, the state provides them free all year round. Pistol Permit + more classes. You will also have to go through an NICS check... just hope you don't have a common name///like Smith...there are always hang-ups, but stick with it.

As far as guns in NY, Long Island is OK, NY City (any of the boroughs) you have to have a license to carry any weapon, shotguns included. It can be done, but there are mountains of paperwork and lots of hoops to jump through.

Given that you have the option, Connecticut is much easier. If you don't have a hunting license or pistol permit, go fill out your paperwork and wait your two weeks. The firearms Safety course is fun I took my oldest son last year and you have to try and hit 3 clays on the skeet field...

ArtMajor21
August 4, 2007, 02:28 PM
Thanks for all the information. Lucky for me the only way to get from CT to Long Island is to drive through the boroughs (The Bronx and Queens) So I imagine if I wish to transport it that way I would need the NYC permit.

Do I really have a choice though, as in can I purchase a shotgun in Connecticut with a New York license or vise versa?

Brian

mp510
August 4, 2007, 07:08 PM
In CT, there is a 14-day waiting period if you don't have a hunting license or Pidtol permit, To get a hunting license you have go through a D.E.P. apporoved Firearms Safety / Hunter Education course, the state provides them free all year round. Pistol Permit + more classes. You will also have to go through an NICS check... just hope you don't have a common name///like Smith...there are always hang-ups, but stick with it.
When they run an individual with a hunting license through the DPS check they talk to a live operator and give them a whole lot of information on you, which helps avoid the notorious Sunday afternoon problems with the automated system. The downside is that you can only buy a ong gun Monday through Saturday if you don't have a PCPR.

ArchAngelCD
August 6, 2007, 03:15 AM
The NRA has information on all 50 States here:
http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/

NYS:
http://www.nysrpa.org/nygunlaws.htm

CT doesn't have a similar page but this might help:
http://www.jud.ct.gov/lawlib/Law/firearms.htm

ArtMajor21
August 6, 2007, 03:30 AM
Great, Thanks again for all the help.

My only question still would be the NYC area, and if transporting long guns (unloaded, cased and locked) in a vehicle through the boroughs from Long Island to CT or upstate would present a problem.

Brian

ArchAngelCD
August 6, 2007, 03:50 AM
I know for a fact that you are allowed to transport a long gun through NYC as long as it's unloaded and in your trunk. You DO NOT need to notify the local authorities when you do so.

NEW YORK CITY--A city permit is required for possession and transportation of handguns and long guns. New York State handgun permits are invalid within the city limits; however, New York State residents may transport their licensed handguns unloaded through the city if these are locked in a container and the trip is continuous. Long guns may be kept in the city for only 24 hours while in transit and must be unloaded and stored in a locked container or vehicle trunk for the period.

jobu07
August 6, 2007, 05:03 AM
Given that you have the option, Connecticut is much easier. If you don't have a hunting license or pistol permit, go fill out your paperwork and wait your two weeks.

That's not really accurate.

If you enjoyed reading about "Long Gun Laws in NY and CT" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!