Shot some of my reloads today....

PDA

Eightball
August 4, 2007, 01:41 AM
...and managed to do the impossible: I jammed a revolver. Thankfully, I managed to get a few 125gr .38 LRNs fired, then thought to myself "Maybe I should fire my 125gr JHPs before a lot of lead buildup occurs in my revolver," so I started shooting some of my .38+Ps. Within the first cylinder, I came across four that fed just fine, and the 5th of 7 jammed--bullet stuck in between the cylinder and barrel. Can't get it out yet, so I'm taking it in to work with me tomorrow (working at an FFL does have its perks) to take advantage of our equipment. Near as I can tell, one of two things happened--1, I forgot to charge the case and the bullet scooched forward just enough to jam the thing, or 2, a squib.

Live and learn, to be more careful in this instance :o Ah, well, at least I undercharged a round, rather than double-charged one. Best of the worst outcomes, but man, am I irritated that I had no way of clearing that at the range today, and now have about 170 LRN's just sitting around begging to be fired :banghead:

If you enjoyed reading about "Shot some of my reloads today...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hook686
August 4, 2007, 04:11 AM
Been there, and done that ... no powder in a .357 case. The bullet just lodged half into the forcing cone and half still in the cylinder. I used a section of a shot gun cleaning rod to gently tap the bullet back into the case. Jacketed bullets have an advantage at times.

I've also experienced the recoil force a bullet to 'jump crimp' and jam the cylinder rotation ... easier fix though, as the bullet is not half into the forcing cone.

If you used soft lead bullets, share your fix.

dmftoy1
August 4, 2007, 09:08 AM
My money is on too light of a crimp and it moving forward . . .it'll be interesting to see what you find. In my (unfortunate) experience a Squib is very obvious. It sounds like a fart after a weekend competition in the county fair chilli eating competition. :)

Have a good one,
Dave

Hikingman
August 4, 2007, 02:28 PM
Ouch, those adjustments to dies take time and a little experience. There's several questions...
Is the brass being sized to the full length?
Is the bellying - creating a good flare without too much?
Is the crimp working as it should?
Have you considered a separate step to crimp? (like some of us)

Describe more of what may be the problem. Also, if someone that reloads compares your product with a factory round, they may provide some faster solution.

GRIZ22
August 4, 2007, 03:10 PM
"Maybe I should fire my 125gr JHPs before a lot of lead buildup occurs in my revolver,"

This is a common misconception. You don't "blow out" lead in a barrel by shooting jacketed bullets. If the barrel is really leaded you wind up raising pressures by shooting jacketed bullets. The jacketed bullet just compresses the lead to get by and raises pressures in the process. This is what cracks the forcing cone in K frame S&W 357s.

If you enjoyed reading about "Shot some of my reloads today...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!