Do you prefer the guns or the shooting?

PDA

DMK
August 4, 2007, 01:16 PM
All self defense / home defense / national defense issues aside, do you prefer the guns (cleaning, repairing, building, upgrading, modifying, collecting, researching, buying, trading, etc) or do you prefer shooting them (plinking, target shooting, hunting, competition, etc).

Don't cop out and say both. You can't prefer both. Pick the one you enjoy more.

If you enjoyed reading about "Do you prefer the guns or the shooting?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
fletcher
August 4, 2007, 01:19 PM
Both.

But shooting is much more fun.

busy_squirrel
August 4, 2007, 01:41 PM
Dependss which day you ask me.

Somedays shooting is better, somedays the guns.

Just like sometimes you wanna buy a handgun, somedays a long gun.

*shrug*

M2 Carbine
August 4, 2007, 01:43 PM
Shooting.
I'd probably have few guns if I couldn't shoot them.

I do like owning guns though.
Next week I'm going to buy the new Kimber Ultra Covert II simply because I want it.
It won't do anything that my laser equipped Kimber Tactical Ultra II can't do but if I couldn't shoot the Covert, and I will shoot it, I wouldn't buy it.

My friend is the opposite. He has many guns that he has never fired in 20-30 years but yet he still constantly buys new guns, scopes, etc.

joab
August 4, 2007, 01:58 PM
I am a compulsive collector, so I guess I prefer the guns
The unfortunate by product of shooting is a dirty gun and I am also one of those that absolutely hates cleaning guns

If not for the collector addiction I would only have one or two guns and would never have found m way to the forums

Luckily I have a place where I can drop in and shoot just a fews rounds whenever I want to

H23gsr
August 4, 2007, 02:04 PM
I enjoy shooting all my guns. But now that I think about it, I enjoy collecting as much as shooting them.

pdowg881
August 4, 2007, 02:07 PM
sometimes I get the urge to uprage buy and modify, but once I get it the way I like it, shooting it is where it's at. So both. Because I prefer them at different times.

bumm
August 4, 2007, 04:08 PM
While I realize that there are some who only collect, if you like to shoot, it's awfully hard to separate the guns from the shooting.
Anyway, I answered that I prefer shooting.
Marty

Zundfolge
August 4, 2007, 04:12 PM
I enjoy shooting, but just don't get to do it NEAR enough ... so I picked the guns themselves because I keep buying the damn things even though I don't get enough time at the range with them.

Cosmoline
August 4, 2007, 04:13 PM
I appreciate firearms on their own, but one that won't shoot or one that I don't like to shoot gets sold off pretty quick.

RyanM
August 4, 2007, 04:18 PM
The guns. I really need to shoot more often. But I usually enjoy obtaining and customizing the crap out of them, more than actually shooting them. But it is very important that they shoot well.

Sindawe
August 4, 2007, 04:19 PM
While I greatly enjoy shooting my firearms and those of my friends (well, 'cept for that brutal .44 Mag a buddy has), I must admit I enjoy the guns themselves more. I like cleaning & maintaining them, inspecting their workings and researching the history and development of a particular firearm.

bensdad
August 4, 2007, 04:29 PM
Whether it's to shoot guns, get more guns, or just look at guns, I think my favorite part is getting out of the house.:D

Rufus Pisanus
August 4, 2007, 04:40 PM
I voted "I like the guns" as I am mostly a collector but I like to shoot the guns I collect (unless it's unsafe).

Clipper
August 4, 2007, 04:43 PM
I guess that since I own guns that I really don't shoot much, I like the guns.
OTOH, since I do have a few guns I shoot as much as possible, I like the shooting.
But I just sold a gun that was too expensive to shoot regularly, so I like the guns.
But I'm sinking a bunch of money into a junk C-96 so I can shoot it, so I like the shooting.
But I'm investing a lot of time and effort into a Mosin-Nagant sporterization on a working gun that will never see a return on my effort, so I like the guns.

Is that clear?

Bruce333
August 4, 2007, 05:04 PM
Answering both isn't a cop out. Depends on the day and locale.

If I'm at the range I prefer shooting.

If I'm at home I prefer cleaning, planing my next purchase, researching milsurps, etc.

:p

Valkman
August 4, 2007, 05:08 PM
I hate cleaning them but love to handle, look at and reload for them. But shooting them is the best!

alucard0822
August 4, 2007, 05:29 PM
Wow, thats a tough question. I guess it depends on individual guns for me. I shoot everything I own, and probably wouldn't own any tool that could not be used, but my 1911 and 10/22 have been a testbed for hop up parts and tweaks, where the fun is in the improvements made and proven at the range. My yugo AK and h-bar AR have remained untouched from their "as seen on tv" configurations, and are for basically throwing led, they are the shooters in my collection. My Garand and p-08 luger only occasionally see range time, and I keep them polished and nice for the pure aesthetics and historical signifigance they represent. And then there's my 308 savage 10fp, decent to shoot, neat looking, but it is my testbed for handload development, this is the rifle that was the excuse for most of my time spent here and in the basement trying to find out how small of a group is possible. There are a few more that fall in between the gun/shooting/reloading categories, but you get the idea.

ZeSpectre
August 4, 2007, 05:35 PM
Guns of course. Actually shooting them has that nasty habit of showing me I need more practice and that's EXPENSIVE :neener:

sansone
August 4, 2007, 05:50 PM
I agree with busy squirrel, depends on the day. summer when it's hot I like researching + collecting. the never ending search for the perfect gun. when it's cool out I prefer shooting and reloading. the never ending search for the perfect load.

McCall911
August 4, 2007, 06:05 PM
Good question!

I said "guns" but I do love shooting them!

springmom
August 4, 2007, 06:09 PM
Sorry. It's both. They aren't separable for me.

Springmom

Odd Job
August 4, 2007, 06:09 PM
Prefer the shooting, but if I had the means (legally and financially) I could quite easily become a collector and do more polishing than shooting.

barkingowl
August 4, 2007, 06:16 PM
I like shooting more than I like acquiring guns.

Elza
August 4, 2007, 06:23 PM
Shooting.

I notice the responses from those that don’t like cleaning them. I’ve always found it very relaxing to clean and care for them. Must be a zen thing for me.

10-Ring
August 4, 2007, 06:24 PM
I'd probably have more guns if I didn't like shooting so much...

PAshooter
August 4, 2007, 06:44 PM
I voted for "the guns" although I really enjoy my trips to the range.

Trouble is that work, family, and other time committments make range visits (at least trips to the outdoor rifle range) an infrequent occurrence. But yet, I keep collecting. Can't tell you how many milsurp long arms I've cleaned and rehabbed but never shot. They've given me countless enjoyable hours in the shop after a long day at work. But one of these days...

I guess my first love is collecting, but shooting is a close second. For now, limited range time doesn't hamper my ongoing collecting habit. Not a problem - one of these days (like, maybe, when I retire) I'll have the time to shoot a bunch of "new" (old) guns that have never made it to the range with me. :)

BTW - anyone else wondering what the two folks that answered "I don't like guns" are doing on a gun board?

iamkris
August 4, 2007, 06:47 PM
To decide how to respond to this, I put the question to myself as follows (note -- answers #3 and 4 don't apply to me so I didn't consider them):

"If you were told you could either a) only accumulate guns for the rest of your life but not shoot them (e.g., like guns more) or b) only shoot guns for the rest of your life but not handle or keep them near you when not physically shooting them (e.g., like shooting more), which would you choose?"

I chose a) in this case...I like to get my guns out a "caress" them...look at their lines, investigate their actions, read up on their history, hold milsurps and let them "tell" me their stories. I adore shooting but if I had to choose, I'd go only with the guns.

Bazooka Joe71
August 4, 2007, 06:47 PM
I love to stare at, clean, rub, and whisper sweet nothings to my guns......

But I love shooting them a whole heck of alot more.:D

iamkris
August 4, 2007, 06:48 PM
So, DMK - which do YOU prefer? ;)

Cliff47
August 5, 2007, 12:05 AM
There is a certain appreciation for the technology involved with a fine firearm, be it a handgun, rifle, shotgun or trench mortar (just kidding there).

But there is also a certain zen thing going at the range when you are "in the zone" and everything comes together (grip, sight picture, breath control, the squeeze of the trigger).

Afterwards, the cleaning of the firearms can be a very meditative experience.

For the record, I have not cast a vote, but prefer to voice my opinions.

brashboy
August 5, 2007, 12:11 AM
You mean, I have to choose?

Scanr
August 5, 2007, 12:22 AM
I am just wondering who voted that they do no like guns?

Hoppy590
August 5, 2007, 12:25 AM
i like the guns
i like the history
i like the mechanics
i like the service
i like the cleaning
i like the visuals

shooting is great dont get me wrong. but i lack the attention span to be a bench rest shooter, the motivation to be a trap shooter, the interest in being a hunter, or the time to be a competator.

TnShooter83
August 5, 2007, 12:41 AM
Both, but I enjoy the development, and history behind it as well
if not more than shooting. Me having that 700BDL, and it taking part in
Vietnam means some thing to me. Just a piece of history behind all firearms.

esq_stu
August 5, 2007, 12:58 AM
It's been an evolution for me. I started out obsessed with having the guns, the more the better. Buying them building them, accessorizing them, etc.

Now it's slightly more shooting than having.

After buying and selling numerous handguns and rifles, I fell in live with a .22 bolt action and all I want to do is shoot it. I practice with my carry weapons, too, but when I go to the range with several guns, most of my time is spent with the .22.

Regolith
August 5, 2007, 01:01 AM
I prefer the shooting myself. Everything else is just preparation or cleanup.

Redneck with a 40
August 5, 2007, 01:11 AM
This is a tough one for me also. I enjoy admiring and handling my guns, reading about them, researching calibers and ballistics tables, reading reloading manuals and gun books/magazines ect. So yes, I very much enjoy just being in the presence of guns, I admire and respect them.:D

However, going to the range and lighting off some rounds is where the fun is at. Its very thrilling to discharge a deadly weapon, the flash, the boom, the recoil. Then you get to see a dozen or more rounds inside the "black ring" and it brings a smile to my face, pure satisfaction and pride.:D

So I guess the bottom line with me is that they go hand in hand, guns and shooting. I don't think I could have one and not the other. Although If I had to choose one, I'd rather have a collection of guns to admire, and give up the shooting. I hope this never comes to fruition because that would really SUCK!:uhoh:

On a side note, before the Brady Campaign shut down their blog, because the pro-gun folks were handing their a** to them, an anti-gun poster, one of THREE, lol, asked if we hugged our guns every night. Just to piss her off, I said I "hug my guns every night". I thought this was hilarious and she was pissed, lmao!:D

XD Fan
August 5, 2007, 02:37 AM
It is hard to separate the two for me.

bhk
August 5, 2007, 10:00 AM
I like both, but as I get older I guess I am leaning more torward the appreciation of the design and workmanship involved in my firearms. Maybe it is because I have lived in the country for decades and can shoot at my place on my own range all I want. I enjoy it thoroughly, but it is not a big deal to me any more. I still shoot a couple times a week, but it often only takes a dozen or two rounds to satisfy me.

Black Adder LXX
August 5, 2007, 10:04 AM
Don't cop out and say both. You can't prefer both. Pick the one you enjoy more.

BOTH

I like the guns more, except when I'm at the range, then I like shooting more. :)

Jdude
August 5, 2007, 12:24 PM
The shooting, definitely. I have as much fun with a large rifle as I do with a crossbow, pistol or cheap bb gun.

MinScout
August 5, 2007, 12:25 PM
I guess I prefer owning to shooting, though I do enjoy shooting and do it quite often. I have some milsurps and handguns I haven't shot in years, but I still like having them around.

DMK
August 5, 2007, 04:18 PM
So, DMK - which do YOU prefer?I love to shoot, but I'm a gearhead at heart. I love mechanical things. I was the kid who took all his toys apart to see how they worked AND then put them back together again.

So, I'd have to say that my fascination is with the guns, the ammo and what makes them work. They are just really cool machines. Especially semi-autos.

operator114
August 5, 2007, 04:28 PM
Both. I have firearms that I shoot, clean and work on (AR-15), and some that I shoot and don't clean or work on (AK-47). I also have some that I don't shoot because they're collectable (M1).

You might as well ask if I prefer breathing in more than breathing out.:)

SheB61
August 5, 2007, 05:19 PM
How can you have one without the other?!?!?

Bazooka Joe71
August 5, 2007, 05:38 PM
Um, who are the 3 people that don't like guns?:confused:

fastbolt
August 5, 2007, 06:29 PM
DMK,

You enjoy forcing answers from folks to questions which they wouldn't ordinarily consider as relevant? Like those political poll-takers who demand answers from carefully contrived and worded questions which aren't really connected to the way things are really occurring? :scrutiny:

:neener:

Just kidding ...

I couldn't find an answer I really felt represented my feelings, so I picked the 'shooting' option. Not what I'd come up with on my own, though.

I used to enjoy firearms ownership for the simple pleasure of it.

I used to enjoy acquiring and collecting specific firearms for the simple pleasure of pride of ownership.

I could still feel this way about some single action revolvers, FWIW, and a couple of ,22 pistols which have provided many hours of simple plinking & general, recreational range enjoyment. ;) I've thought about having a custom PPC-type revolver built for me, too, since I know a fellow who does very nice work on revolvers and pistols in his retirement. Always wanted a nice .38 Special target gun.

However, as someone who has been able to attend more than a dozen armorers classes and has been responsible for helping maintain an average of more than 500+ agency owned weapons ... I've become a bit tired of 'working on' firearms. Cleaning and preventive maintenance isn't exactly high on my list of preferred recreational activities and pastimes, either. :neener: Necessary, though. That being the case, however, it needs to be done right. That's why I spent the time and effort to attend all of those armorer classes in the first place. ;)

For the most part, though, I've come to look at the significant bulk of my personally-owned firearms collection pretty much from the perspective of effective and efficient tools for off-duty needs and considerations.

As I look toward my imminent retirement I see them from the perspective of using them as retirement CCW weapons. Some will get more usage in this regard than others. Just depends on my anticipated needs, lifestyle and activities.

Probably won't be getting rid of any of them, though. My appreciation of the right and ability to own firearms has been too well ingrained over my lifetime (since childhood) to ever get rid of them. :cool:

Geno
August 5, 2007, 06:34 PM
The collecting, cleaning caring for. Of course, why go through all of that if they are not going to be used from time-to-time. Good thread!

mjrodney
August 5, 2007, 09:01 PM
After all these years of practice, the center of a paper target at 25 yards usually ends up as a baseball sized ragged hole.

When that target comes in off of the 25 yard line with the center blown out of it, bystanders and fellow shooters will often nod in acknowledgement, but very few ask what type of handgun was used.

It's the shooting.

DMK
August 5, 2007, 09:13 PM
You enjoy forcing answers from folks to questions which they wouldn't ordinarily consider as relevant? Like those political poll-takers who demand answers from carefully contrived and worded questions which aren't really connected to the way things are really occurring?In college we called it "critical thinking". A way to learn something about yourself. ;)

Obviously, you can shoot without guns, but I still think most folks have a slight preference towards either the shooting activity or the guns themselves.

The poll shows a pretty even split, plus a couple of folks that are either smart alecs or lurking anti-gunnies.

When that target comes in off of the 25 yard line with the center blown out of it, bystanders and fellow shooters will often nod in acknowledgement, but very few ask what type of handgun was used.I'd be one of those. "What gun were you using" was the first thing that popped in my mind.

fastbolt
August 5, 2007, 10:09 PM
In college we called it "critical thinking". A way to learn something about yourself.

;) yourself ... :D

For me, the funny thing has proven itself to be that the less interested I've become in guns for the sake of owning guns ... the more of them that I've been acquiring. :scrutiny:

When that target comes in off of the 25 yard line with the center blown out of it, bystanders and fellow shooters will often nod in acknowledgment, but very few ask what type of handgun was used.
I can understand that ...
As an instructor I've become much more interested in the ability of the shooter to demonstrate good skills than I have in whatever weapons they're using. Part of that is from working with lots of LE shooters who are issued different weapons. If they had little choice in what they were using, then we worked with it, or around it, as the case may be ...

I'd be one of those. "What gun were you using" was the first thing that popped in my mind.
I can see that point of view, as well, since sometimes if the shooter's abilities, skills and performance is the same with different platforms, then the weapon itself may become a point of casual and friendly interest. Lots of folks like it when you take an interest in their personal selection of a firearm or weapon. ;)

Bezoar
August 5, 2007, 10:56 PM
Owning the gun is better then shooting it. Some days it just to depressing to go shoot, but its always fun to sit down, run a silicone rag over a barrel and remember what each and every nick and scratch on the stock and barrel came from.
Cleaning is extremely relaxing, hunting is a pain as most of my hunting is done in winter.

Stevie-Ray
August 5, 2007, 11:10 PM
I enjoy the guns more than shooting. While I'm quite proficient at shooting all my guns, I prefer the mechanics of the tools, the upgrading, (tacticalizing?:D) the camaraderie of the gun culture, especially at work. I love shooting but I wouldn't be interested in selling my guns if we could never shoot them again.

Kimber1911_06238
August 5, 2007, 11:29 PM
both.....i love interesting or new guns, who doesn't like something new? i can have fun shooting an old .22 or the newest gun hot off the assembly line

The Canuck
August 6, 2007, 01:34 AM
You missed one... Both!
I prefer to shoot and then maintain. Its a package deal for me. The shooting hones my skill and ensures the firearm is functioning reliably. The cleaning and maintaining allows me to check the firearm for anything that may eventually go wrong (cracks in the frame, bent slide rails, unusual wear, etc...)

M99M12
August 6, 2007, 08:35 PM
Had a rough time, but I had to pick shootin' 'em. All but one gets shot every now and then. But I have met a few safe queens. ;)

Sistema1927
August 6, 2007, 09:05 PM
I love guns.

I love handling them (my wife calls it "fondling" :confused:)

I love cleaning them.

I love tweaking them.

I love reloading for them.

I love shopping for them.

I love showing them off.

I love teaching about them.

I love carrying them.

I love shooting them.

I love what they represent.

I guess that I just love guns, and since the shooting is just a part of the passion I voted that I love the guns.

DMK
August 6, 2007, 11:30 PM
I can see that point of view, as well, since sometimes if the shooter's abilities, skills and performance is the same with different platforms, then the weapon itself may become a point of casual and friendly interest. Lots of folks like it when you take an interest in their personal selection of a firearm or weapon. Actually, I don't pay much attention to how other folks at the range shoot, as much as what they are shooting. There's one guy who always seems to bring the most interesting toys, like 1950's match rifles, target pistols in odd calibers, stuff you don't see every day.

Come to think of it, I don't even know if he's a good shot. :confused:

TheFringe
August 7, 2007, 12:05 AM
I voted owning rather than shooting for a couple reasons:

First is that I am a novice collector and very new to guns. Second reason is that in my limited experience with (Seattle area indoor) ranges, I have to say I really do not care for them. Full of gang members, Rambos, etc. The uncomfortable atmosphere combined with the loud environment in these ranges forces me to travel many, many miles to enjoy the limited opportunities I have available to actually shoot. As I am not fortunate enough to have any friends who own property nearby, I now have to hike a ways into a national forest to shoot, and rarely at that. I do enjoy the serenity and learning at my own pace while not having to be embarrassed after shooting more than a couple flyers (!)

That said, I just returned from rural Eastern Washington State (300 miles one way) where I was lucky enough to be invited to a friend of a friend's backdoor range. Spent 2 full days shooting some of my arsenal that I normally just clean and caress. Shot skeet for the first time with my Benelli M4 12 gauge, and with some help sighted in my new Bushmaster M4A3 and Kel-Tec PLR-16 .223 pistol. Brought my nice Russian SKS and Thompson 1927 Semi-auto as well. (Thompson shoots really straight and is now very reliable after some gunsmithing. Was the neighborhood 'favorite.') I was welcomed by the resident homeowner and all his gun-folk neighbors, all the while picking up many good shooting pointers. This was no beer party. Safety was stressed at all times. What I would give to do this on a regular basis !

If I had this kind of access all the time I would have voted 'Shooting' but since this unfortunately was a rare treat, I had to vote 'Owning' instead.

FreshTapCoke
August 7, 2007, 03:18 AM
I picked guns. I like shooting more than any single one of you on here. But I love the mechanics and art of firearms that much more.

psmoharemoff@hotmail.com
August 7, 2007, 03:27 PM
I would rather shoot, but hate to clean but it has to be done.

eastwood44mag
August 7, 2007, 03:28 PM
Collector with a flinch, so definitely prefer the guns.

slow944
August 7, 2007, 04:14 PM
My guns work the same as my golf clubs; they are both a lot of fun to use, but I like the shooting aspect of the sport as well as playing a round of golf with friends.

f4t9r
August 7, 2007, 04:52 PM
I like to have my Cake and eat it too !!!
They go hand in hand , got to have the guns to go shooting.
So I like tinkering with the guns and enjoy shooting them. I am not so crazy about cleaning , but it must be done sometime

JohnBT
August 7, 2007, 05:07 PM
I do not like guns.

There's no like about it. ;)

John

Big Calhoun
August 7, 2007, 05:23 PM
I'm also with the 'both' crowd. No question that a day of shooting beats a day in the office, even if it is just punching holes in paper. But taking care of my guns and looking for a deal on the next 'want' is equally relaxing.

2bigfeet
August 7, 2007, 05:25 PM
Its all about the toys (guns) and all the secondary accessories that go with them. Shooting second. I love competitive shooting, but you have to have the toy factor otherwise you have 99% less to talk about... "Nice score... what else ya got?"

Guns are one of life's great little distractions.

Lightsped
August 7, 2007, 05:29 PM
I'd say I prefer the guns a bit more as shooting can get kind of expensive....

45Badger
August 7, 2007, 06:33 PM
I checked "shooting" but only because "the guns" was cluttered with too many activities.

My wife says I'm the Imelda Marcos of guns. I guess it's retail (I prefer used!) therapy followed by loud noises:D

Gord
August 7, 2007, 07:08 PM
Shooting.

I don't own guns I can't shoot, whether for reasons of fragility, ammo availability or rarity. Hell, even the Remington M1867 gets a box of .45-70 cowboy loads occasionally.

Incidentally, it's the one gun I wish I could find a modern counterpart for - single-shot rolling-block .45-70 that isn't ugly as sin, with apologies to Quigley.

The history (and research thereof) is a really cool aspect of owning it and a few Mosins, with plenty more milsurps to follow, but the fact remains that I wouldn't own them if I couldn't shoot them. I want to pick up a K-31 badly, but with GP-11 costing so much (and it just doesn't seem right to shoot commercial ammo through such a beautiful, purpose-built piece of precision craftsmanship instead of its accompanying ammo) and getting harder to find, I just don't know.

On a similar note, I love the look of deep blue and walnut, but I know that marring or scratching them up will make me feel like crap - so I tend to gravitate towards stainless and synthetic.

Geno
August 9, 2007, 11:25 PM
Much of my firearms ownership is "dic"(k)tated by the illegitimates in Washington. In celebration of the Dim-wit-ocrats' speaker (although I wish AmeriKa had I speaker), I purchased my AK47. Now, keep in mind, I have never really wanted an AK desperately, but the dimwits desperately hate AKs, and frankly, that makes me love AKs!! Next, in celebration of Hildathebeast and her pack-of-fool-friends being anti .50 BMG, I just bought a .50 BMG upper for my AR15!! Now, keep in mind I have a fused neck. The chances of me personally tolerating firing that beastly .50 BMG is quite unlikely. It isn't about me!!! It's about my 12 year-old daughter, and my future grandchildren...now they have a .50 BMG!!! :) In closing, most of what I purchase, I purchase to assure that item (hated as it may be) as a possession for my family, and my descendents.

ROMAK IV
August 10, 2007, 12:39 AM
I like the guns better. You get to a point where you have too many guns to be able to shoot them regularly.

JKimball
August 10, 2007, 01:33 AM
Good Poll! My initial reaction was, "Who would like guns more than shooting? Don't we get guns so that we can shoot them?" But the more I thought about it, I had to vote for the guns themselves, because the most important thing to me is what the gun represents - the ability to preserve life and liberty, and I suppose guns can do that without ever having to fire a shot.

Having said that, I love skeet, IDPA, and 3-gun, as well as good ol' fashion plinking and target shooting.

Hardtarget
August 10, 2007, 02:01 AM
I prefer the shooting, but I have several guns that I rarely ever shoot. Seems the same guns go to the range every time. If I never got to shoot I would probably only have two or three.

Mark.

umaggb
August 10, 2007, 02:46 AM
I have to say shooting. I do have more guns than I need but I'll probably buy more over time. They will have some shooting function that guns I already own can't perform. There's nothing like putting a really tight group right where you wanted it. A gun that doesn't get shot is, let's face it, a paperweight.

Bartkowski
August 10, 2007, 04:13 AM
Personally, I like them both, I love to take a gun out shooting and hunting, but taking one apart and seeing what makes them work is great to. I can't pick one over the other because they to me are just two different types of amusment that are both great, but in different ways.

Bazooka Joe71
August 10, 2007, 04:46 AM
Wow, I can't believe how neck 'n neck this poll is...I guess its because I live in a town where violent crime is basically nonexistent, so guns to me is much more of a recreation than self-protection(not that its not a plus).

I absolutely love my guns, even just staring at them:D but nothing beats going to the range with a couple of my buddies and spending a few hours poppin off some rds and sharing our toys.

Soybomb
August 10, 2007, 05:29 AM
I think I prefer the shooting and would really love to shoot more often. I don't have access to a place to shoot in a way that close or affordable so I'm doing a little more collecting than shooting right now. I do like well made machinery though and am interested in the history behind alot of the guns....

RubenZ
August 10, 2007, 10:38 AM
I wish I could just pick one.

But when I love Guns and Shooting so much that when I go shoot I hate that I have a hard time picking which gun I want to shoot LOL.

buck00
August 10, 2007, 10:53 AM
This is a good question. Because when it comes down to it I like the guns better than shooting (sounds weird).

The question should be framed like this.

For the next year, you can have your guns in your house to handle, clean, admire, and enjoy (but not shoot).... OR you can only have access to them at the range when you go to shoot. Which would you choose? :confused:

Bottom line: I could go 12 months without shooting... I couldn't go 12 months without having my guns around in my house.

Noxx
August 10, 2007, 02:38 PM
While I love to shoot, and am shooting a LOT these days as I am trying to get beyond "ok" marksmanship, it has to take a backseat to the machines.

I love the guns, I love the engineering behind them, the solutions, some complex, some simple an elegant, to the problems that have arisen in development over the years. I love a carefully machined chunk of stainless steel, finished like glass, with no marks, nothing extraneous, just pure purpose.

To me there's few things as enjoyable as looking at a brilliant and practical engineering solution that makes you say "well hell, how did no one else think of that?".

sm
August 10, 2007, 02:41 PM
*shrug*
Can't vote.

People.
It seems to me it was always about the people and dawgs.

Wheeler44
August 10, 2007, 03:07 PM
If it's raining I like the guns, if it's nice out I like the shootin'

Wheeler44

Setzer77
August 25, 2007, 05:25 PM
Old thread, but kind of a timeless one.

I'd have to say shooting. There's something about the smell of burnt gunpowder, and the 'pop' noise, the recoil of the pistol in one's hand. Shooting is all about the feel, and enjoyment of the senses.

Guns are definitely a close second, but I don't have a single one that I wouldn't shoot given ammo. Guns are like pants for me, it's all about which one I feel like that day.

If you enjoyed reading about "Do you prefer the guns or the shooting?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!