Socal THR Meet: A Weekend of Tacticality!

PDA

Skunkabilly
July 2, 2003, 03:18 AM
How about this. This is just an idea, but I haven't arranged anything or looked at match schedules that far in advance. It would look something like this.

Saturday Morning: IPSC or IDPA (IPSC every weekend, IDPA on some saturdays)
Lunch
Saturday Afternoon: Clay pigeon slaying and benched rifle.
Dinner

Sunday Morning: Steel pistol (shotgun optional) match or 3-gun match, depending on which sunday of the month.
Lunch
Sunday Afternoon: drive home

Just want to get an idea of how many people would be interested for a meet and a weekend which would have so much tacticality it would surpass that of a Blackhawk Industries catalog and you would have to unslice pies and open doors while standing in the doorway for the next few weeks just to make up for it :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Socal THR Meet: A Weekend of Tacticality!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Nippy
July 2, 2003, 03:22 AM
I wouldn't mind going. As long as I can fit it in my schedual.

DNA
July 2, 2003, 05:42 AM
Count me in :)

Kevlarman
July 2, 2003, 05:43 AM
Wow, a chance to meet Skunk? Count me in! :D

El Rojo
July 2, 2003, 09:42 AM
If the date matches my schedule, sure. I will bring the wife. Let me know. I make a vote for a three gun Sunday. I still haven't shot three gun and I bought my Rem 870P just for that reason.

DJJ
July 2, 2003, 10:09 AM
I'm in.

enichols
July 2, 2003, 10:10 AM
Count me in, too. Just need dates!

Henry Bowman
July 2, 2003, 10:34 AM
Rarely do I envy you folks in PRK, but I wish I could join you!

Lennyjoe
July 2, 2003, 10:43 AM
Skunk, where exactly in Cali are you?

Skunkabilly
July 2, 2003, 10:46 AM
Skunk, where exactly in Cali are you?

15 miles south of Disneyland.

blades67
July 2, 2003, 11:28 AM
That sounds like fun. Too bad you want to do it in California.:neener:

Skunkabilly
July 2, 2003, 11:45 AM
Blades, I know Mesa is far, but a guy comes from Havasu to shoot steel w/ us.....but we all know he's crazy anyway :p

Mute
July 2, 2003, 12:10 PM
I'd be up for something like that.

Andrew Wyatt
July 2, 2003, 12:40 PM
I'd so do that.

Penforhire
July 2, 2003, 01:45 PM
Where do you shoot? I'm about 11 miles north of Disneyland. I could be up for some fun-and-games (though I don't have enough black-gun stuff).

Gus Dddysgrl
July 2, 2003, 01:48 PM
Are you gonna fly me out there so I can join you? Otherwise sorry.

Gus

Skunkabilly
July 2, 2003, 03:42 PM
Penforhire
Where do you shoot? I'm about 11 miles north of Disneyland. I could be up for some fun-and-games (though I don't have enough black-gun stuff).

It'll be at Raahauges and/or Prado, both near the 71 and 91 interchange in Norco and Chino, respectively. We can also drive across LA and shoot some bench either in Duarte (SGV Gun Club) or Burbankish (Angeles Range) if you guys want to do raffle.

Gus Dddysgrl
Are you gonna fly me out there so I can join you? Otherwise sorry.

If you send me money for the airfare :p Ask dad if he wants to come!

Count me in, too. Just need dates!

Me too :D

3-gun I usually shoot w/ my M1A. Everyone else has ARs.

willyjixx
July 2, 2003, 03:48 PM
if you ever do one closer north (i live in Reno) id come......

be in San Luis Obispo in September if you do one then.

Average Guy
July 2, 2003, 04:39 PM
I'd definitely be down for that. Even though I've never shot a match.

Can I shoot 3-gun with a 10/22 or a bolt-action Mauser? :D

Mute
July 2, 2003, 04:47 PM
Dont forget that Burro Canyon Shooting Range (http://www.burrocanyon.com/) is also an option if you want to shoot rifles.

Ledbetter
July 2, 2003, 05:48 PM
Have to get old-man-tactical on yer a$$:eek:

(Sorry, Art's grandma.)

Burro works best for me. Centrally located. But, whenever wherever.

Can we bring rifles with wood stocks or is that out of the question?:scrutiny:

email

MLdbttr@netscape.net

yy
July 2, 2003, 06:06 PM
I'd like to go too. Now that Skunkabilly is still with us in OC.

I only have one small pistol. What else can I contribute?:D

Archie
July 2, 2003, 06:20 PM
I might not be able to do Sunday, I preach on Sundays.

Still, Saturdays are normally wide open.

(Long Beach here.)

Mauserlady
July 2, 2003, 06:32 PM
Depending on when it ends up being I'm interested...

El Rojo
July 2, 2003, 08:40 PM
Let's set a date about 1 month ahead. Who ever can make it, can make it. If we want to make it a weekend thing, maybe we can see how many want to make firm commitments and maybe Skunk or some of the other locals can set up some over night lodging (sleeping on the floor in someone's living room leaves more money for ammo). Also those that can only make one day, can come one day and those that want to do the weekend can do the weekend. Sounds like fun to me. The more notice the better and the more people that might show.

Bruce in West Oz
July 2, 2003, 08:58 PM
:(

Mauserlady
July 2, 2003, 09:07 PM
Good idea El... Our place is open to anyone that wants to stay... Depending on where it's at we could be the halfway point (or more) for some of our No. Ca. THR's...

freeride21a
July 3, 2003, 03:30 AM
I'd be up for it depending on the date.. im about 7mi north of disneyland.

ive probly seen you at steel madness skunk..just didnt know who you were...ive gone a few times.

bjengs
July 3, 2003, 02:43 PM
I'd show, for sure. I've only shot by myself, so I might sit out and watch the more experienced cats at play...

I'd almost definitely go if it were at Angeles Ranges, which is close to me (in the S F V, y'all).

ysr_racer
July 3, 2003, 03:11 PM
Breaking Clay Makes My Day :)

http://pic2.picturetrail.com/VOL36/883856/2347566/28409303.jpg

El Rojo
July 3, 2003, 08:53 PM
ysr_racer. I see you like Oak Tree. That is a pretty nice sporting clays range. I am not a big shotgun shooter, but my dad sure is. He went to Oak Tree last Sunday for that manufacturers shoot. I guess they had like a 100+ shooters. What happened was everyone had to shoot the shotgun and ammo that was at each station. No personal shotguns. There were some pretty nice guns as prizes my dad said. I still haven't talked to him to see how he did. If there are two things I can brag about my father for it is his ability to shoot coyotes and shooting clays, trap, skeet.

Did you know that Mike Dalton, the famous Les Bauer spokesman, works at that pistol range there at Oak Tree? He waiting on me in there last time I went.

OOOPPPSSSS. I just started looking through your pictures, I see you went to the manufacturers shoot! Maybe you know who he is. Robert Morris.

tex_n_cal
July 3, 2003, 09:41 PM
I might be up for it as well, though I can't the next two weekends.

I keep meaning to head down & spend a weekend in LaLa land.

I will bring guns with with wood stocks that hold large catridges:evil:

Skunkabilly
July 3, 2003, 09:56 PM
I will bring guns with with wood stocks
Wrapping them in 550 cord is tactical, a viable substitute for synthetic.

jato
July 4, 2003, 01:28 AM
Put me down for Sunday.

Skunkabilly
July 4, 2003, 12:43 PM
Valley Center...home of Carbon Creations...reehaw! :D

Snake Eyes
July 4, 2003, 01:34 PM
C'mon! When!?!?!

That photo of Skunk wearin' a tactical thigh holster on his chest has got me all fired up for a road trip.

(WhatmIgonnadowhenpeoplefindoutIcan'tshoot????)

PS--Wouldn't you like to do this someplace where we can all actually CARRY GUNS?? How about: Ben Avery Shooting Facitlity AND Campground! (http://www.basfaz.com/index.htm)

Itchin' an' droolin'...

PT

(edited for moronas keyboardity slipupitus)

El Rojo
July 4, 2003, 01:44 PM
I just want to shoot three gun! Now, what about going one place on Saturday and another on Sunday? That is always an option.

Andrew Wyatt
July 4, 2003, 01:47 PM
I'll talk to dad about possibly putting on a 3-gun match. possibly.

Skunkabilly
July 4, 2003, 01:56 PM
Heck, anyone wanna come down and shoot 3-gun on 7/13?

We can always do the weekend of tacticality another time, besides IPSC isn't that tactical...heck they don't even have tactical reloads and tactical sequence... :p

Andrew Wyatt
July 4, 2003, 02:11 PM
lets pick a date for the weekend of tacticality. I want to go.

jato
July 4, 2003, 03:31 PM
Heck, anyone wanna come down and shoot 3-gun on 7/13?

Yes. Directions please.

Never shot 3-gun. How much ammo will I need?

I can even bring a black rifle & shotgun or two.

Carbon Creations. I went to the site....never heard of them. Any good?

El Rojo
July 4, 2003, 05:55 PM
7/12, that is next Sunday right? Where at? What time?

Skunkabilly
July 4, 2003, 06:44 PM
SUNDAY 7/13

http://www.ssashooter.net/images/map.jpg

On the 71, exit Euclid/Butterfield. Turn east on Pine, south on Heckperson (ok Hellman, but the Devil is bad and so is gender specificiticity).

Show up around 9AM or so. Bring 200+ rounds of pistol, your shotgun (15 slugs, just in case we have a slugfest again), and a rifle and some ammo. Steelcore, AP, etc. = bad.

Not sure if it's 3-gun, they used to alternate the 3-gun months, but I called the guy and he told me to bring it.

Bring water and for gossakes don't bring any sweet drinks because the bees like it.

Heck, anyone wanna shoot IPSC on that Saturday 7/12 as well?

SanduneCC
July 4, 2003, 07:12 PM
I hereby nominate Sat 8/9 at Raahauges in Norco to be the WOT date. I'm planning on taking the night ops class from FTA that night and free in the day time. Might as well kill two birds with one stone. :cool:

Skunkabilly
July 4, 2003, 08:05 PM
I'm taking intermediate handcannon with ITTS that weekend :( yet :)

jato
July 4, 2003, 08:10 PM
I'm in. See you on 7/13 at 0900.

So I guess I should bring my M1A....so I can keep up with El Rojo and Skunk.:D

Andrew Wyatt
July 4, 2003, 09:06 PM
how much does the match cost to shoot in for non members, is buckshot allowed, is it really 3-gun, what kind of ranges are involved?

Kevlarman
July 5, 2003, 03:32 PM
3-gunning this weekend sounds good. I'll go if I can keep myself from going back to Lancaster this weekend.

How will a bolt-action rifle do against the semi autos? I can't wait for my Garand!

JShirley
July 5, 2003, 05:04 PM
so much tacticality it would surpass that of a Blackhawk Industries catalog and you would have to unslice pies and open doors while standing in the doorway for the next few weeks just to make up for it

Jeff...sometimes ya scare me, man.

:)

John

Skunkabilly
July 6, 2003, 12:42 AM
Jato
So I guess I should bring my M1A....so I can keep up with El Rojo and Skunk.
Hahaha...wait till you see how bad I suck with a rifle :rolleyes:

Andrew wyatt
how much does the match cost to shoot in for non members, is buckshot allowed, is it really 3-gun, what kind of ranges are involved?
$20 or $25, I forget, I haven't been there in a while. Are you still coming? Max is 100 yards, it's kind of a small range :(

Kevlarman
3-gunning this weekend sounds good. I'll go if I can keep myself from going back to Lancaster this weekend. How will a bolt-action rifle do against the semi autos? I can't wait for my Garand!
Kevlarperson, I'm not sure, I saw a guy bring a Rem700 but not sure if he shot it. It's 7/13, not this weekend (unless tha'ts what you meant) but I'll be there shooting steel tomorrow, probably.

JShirley
Jeff...sometimes ya scare me, man.
Only sometimes? I must not be trying hard enough ;)

Riotnerd

Kevlarman
July 6, 2003, 12:52 AM
Yeah, next weekend is what I meant. I forgot that today is only Saturday! That's what Thursday holidays do to ya!

tex_n_cal
July 7, 2003, 12:39 AM
Hmmm...looks interesting, but it will be a four hour trip for me. Hmmm...

let's see now...9mm 1911, 10mm Delta, .22-250 XP100, .300 mag #1, .375 H&H #1, .500-450#1 Express...oh and a .308 Micro Hunter. What else can I bring?

Skunkabilly
July 7, 2003, 01:38 AM
Looks like next weekend is just 3-gun, just bring...uhh...3-guns, and maybe spares in case they break :p

Oh yeah. Ammo. Lots of ammo.

twoblink
July 7, 2003, 02:58 AM
All this Disneyland reference..

I'm just waiting for someone to shoot Mickey Mouse as pest control service..

Sigh, sorry, can't join you guys..

I'm 6648 miles west of Disneyland..

Mauserlady
July 7, 2003, 01:10 PM
I'll go if I can keep myself from going back to Lancaster this weekend.

You make this sound like a bad thing...

Lancaster's cool, but then again I'm kinda partial to my town... ;)

Kevlarman
July 7, 2003, 01:23 PM
Yeah, but then again I go back to visit family every other week. It's become routine. I'm a big mama's boy. :D

Perhaps this weekend will add a little more variety to my life.

Mauserlady
July 7, 2003, 04:38 PM
Ain't nothin wrong with bein a Mama's boy, I married one... ;) :D

One of these days we will definitely need to hook up and do some plinkin...

DJJ
July 8, 2003, 12:48 PM
BTT.

I gather this weekend is not the actual "Weekend of Tacticality", but some folks are getting together for the 3-gun match nonetheless?

Skunkabilly
July 8, 2003, 03:36 PM
I gather this weekend is not the actual "Weekend of Tacticality", but some folks are getting together for the 3-gun match nonetheless?

Yeeeepppp...

Wanna come?

ysr_racer
July 8, 2003, 04:56 PM
So is this a 3-gun match or the regular Steel Madness Match??

Skunkabilly
July 8, 2003, 08:10 PM
3-gun w/ the LESA crowd.

Ron would be pissed if I .308'd his steel :evil:

El Rojo
July 9, 2003, 01:13 AM
Hmmmmmm. Considering making the drive down to try this. Anyone interested in going from the northern section of Southern California? I am in Bakersfield. I can meet anyone anywhere along the way so we can carpool. Let me know. And I trust you all. Well, the other thing is I get to carry my Glock 27 loaded since I live in free PRK. Sorry for those of you stuck.

ysr_racer
July 9, 2003, 10:11 AM
I'll be shooting sporting clays at Raahagues that Sunday. I'd be interested in how many guys show up. We tried this on GlockTalk and only 3 people showed up.

DJJ
July 9, 2003, 10:18 AM
Well, I think I can scare up 3 appropriate guns that I have ammo for, and that are sighted in for said ammo, so call me 80% sure.

DJJ
July 9, 2003, 02:47 PM
Skunk - are there any restrictions/requirements on the type of guns? Looks like I'll be using a scoped, bolt-action .30-06 (not the best for 3-gun, I know).

What are the stages usually like? Range, number of rounds, etc.?

50 Shooter
July 9, 2003, 03:01 PM
I'll be at Angeles on the 20th, we'll be celebrating the fact that AB50 died. You don't have to have a .50, just bring your guns and shoot.

Skunkabilly
July 9, 2003, 03:42 PM
Skunk - are there any restrictions/requirements on the type of guns? Looks like I'll be using a scoped, bolt-action .30-06 (not the best for 3-gun, I know).

I'll call my guy to make sure. I think he doesn't like people shooting .30 caliber but realizes .223 selection is pretty crappy in California.

Mauserlady
July 9, 2003, 06:35 PM
OK guys (and gals) what exactly is "3-gun"

Now lets not go crazy with the smarty pants answers, :D I'm serious...

jato
July 9, 2003, 07:18 PM
Okay. Let's do a ROLL CALL for Sunday.

If no .308s, I will bring an AR which you guys can shoot (is that legal :confused: ). Just bring some .223 ammo if you want to use my gun.

Skunkabilly
July 9, 2003, 07:37 PM
OK guys (and gals) what exactly is "3-gun"

A 'tactical' match (running around a la IDPA/IPSC) but stages are set up to use rifle, shotgun or pistol, or combinations thereof. Beaucoup fun, but some ranges are better for it than others :(

Kevlarman
July 9, 2003, 07:38 PM
Hmm, I hope my 8mm Mauser is ok. :uhoh:

El Rojo
July 10, 2003, 12:43 AM
Hmmmm. I was thinking about it, but driving 2.5 hours for a three gun match where the range is only a 100 yards and .308's are frowned upon. I think I might have to pass on this one. I think I will go to a .22 falling plate match at 5 Dogs above Bakersfield Saturday morning instead. Yeah I know I can do both, but the 3 gun that far just isn't adding up at this time. Gotta save some pennies for that new computer I just bought.

I still want to do the Southern PRK shoot. I still think we ought to have it on a weekend where we can shoot a three gun. However, like Skunk said, some ranges are better than others. Lets make it a good one. The one this weekend sounds so, so.

jato
July 10, 2003, 01:16 AM
So.....Am I the only THR member going (excluding Skunk)???

:(

Should I wait until more of us can get together???

Frohickey
July 10, 2003, 02:15 AM
could you elaborate on what is happening for this SoCal THR Meet?

If its good, then I might do the 5 hour drive down from SillyValley to LA.

3 Gun, I know about, but what are the equipment requirements, ammo requirements, etc.

Skunkabilly
July 10, 2003, 02:30 AM
it's just a 3-gun match. I don't want to hype it up and get everyone all excited but it's only a 100 yard range. I only shot 2 rifle stages there ever and sometimes it can be slow afterwards becuase the rifle is an optional thing; they realize not everyone can get a competitive game rifle in California anymore.

I'm going to check out their dedicated 3-gun match on the 4th Sat of the month.

It's mostly pistol, a stage or two of shotgun (usually just one stage) and an optional rifle stage.

300lbGorilla
July 10, 2003, 05:19 AM
I'm down for a big ol' gettogether and suggest here: www.wegc.org .

What we do there is up to us, depending on what matches are scheduled for whatever weekend is decided upon.

tcdrennen
July 10, 2003, 06:01 AM
Okay, if it's 3-gun ya want, West End West End Gun Club (http://www.wegc.org) is the place - the regular Every 4th Saturday 3-Gun is mucho fun and interesting. Usually 6 to 8 stages, with one rifle stage at 200 to 300 yards (we have to close off all the pistol bays to shoot 600 yard, so that's out for 3 gun.)

Generally 15 to 20 people show up, but twice that still makes for relatively small squads. The match schedule, directions, and a phone contact are all on the web site. I use my M1A, Mossy 590A1 and Kimber, but you can be Uebertactical or bring a bolt or lever gun, I've seen kids (teens) running .22s and .410s; the rules are vaguely IPSC but outside of Safety First the only real rule is Have Fun! :D

Skunk, waddya think? West End is only 20 minutes further than Raahauge's from OC on Saturday mornings, and the fees are cheaper. It would be Saturday, 7/26.

It also tends to be cooler than Norco (higher elevation) and WAY less dusty :cool: ya still need to hydrate well and bring the sun block, of course.

Oh, there's damn fine potable well water on site as an added bonus.:cool:

El Rojo
July 10, 2003, 09:53 AM
I like the looks of that three gun match. I would be willing to do that one. Only thing is I have to go to the Producers that day for the wife's birthday. That might be a good cover to get her down there, but I don't know if I could get over to the Pantages by 1400 hours. I will see. I am all for that shoot, I just might have to wait until August. Good call.

Andrew Wyatt
July 10, 2003, 10:05 AM
they follow the Swat magazine 3-gun rules, and they don't say birdshot only. I am so there.

RustyHammer
July 10, 2003, 10:19 AM
:mad: :( :scrutiny:

El Rojo
July 10, 2003, 10:41 AM
What we are about to discuss here, must stay here. I need a vow of secrecy from all good shooters that browse this thread. Do I have it? Ok, well if you read on then that is a yes.

My wife is a drama major, her birthday is July 28th (Monday), and she wants nothing more than to go to The Producers. (http://www.producersonbroadway.com/flash.html). I told her we can't afford it and we aren't going. Well I am a liar. I have had the tickets for a couple months. Here is where all of you come in to play.

The Saturday 7/26 Three Gun Match sounds like it will be fun. Secondly, it is the perfect cover to get my wife down to Los Angeles and make her still think we aren't going to the play. Now if I told her where I was taking her was a surprise, as soon as we hit I-5 south, she would know. Now if I tell her that I want to go to a three gun match and then take her somewhere nice to eat in LA afterwards, she might suspect it is a lie and she will probably really be hoping that I take her to the Pantages theatre instead. Well when we roll up to the West End Gun Club to shoot a three gun match, I think she is pretty much going to lose hope.

So, if I shoot a three gun match and leave there by about 1200 noon, will that two hours be enough to get me to the Pantages Theatre off Hollywood Blvd. from out there in the sticks? I am figuring with traffic problems, it would take the full two hours. I am thinking on a Saturday at noon, it might only take one hour to an hour and a half. What do you guys think?

Now there is a chance the three gun might not be over by noon, oh well. I would just have to leave early. So what do you think? Will it work? The only downside is to get to the gun range from Taft by 0930, I am going to have to leave about 0600 to 0630! What fun. I think this is going to work. I am excited. Three gun, big time off-broadway comedy, and meeting all of you in the same day.

Ok, so if any of you show up to the three gun that day, YOU KNOW NOTHING!!! Let me repeat, YOU KNOW NOTHING! I was going to not tell anyone here for fear of it getting out, but I was too excited about the whole plan. So once again, if we show up, mention nothing about later that day. I might tell you I am taking my wife out to dinner later, but you know nothing about plays, theatre, or The Producers. Thanks guys. Let me know what you think about my time estimates from The West End Gun Club to Hollywood Blvd and the 101.

tcdrennen
July 10, 2003, 12:42 PM
The West End matches are kinda laid back - after orientation and a walk through of the stages (except for an occasional 'mystery stage' which is unknown to the shooter 'til you get into it :cool: ) actual start time is usually about 10AM, so we usually end up going until 2 or 3 PM - you'd still get most of the stages done, and nobody mids people "jumping squads" for special urgencies (yours would qualify, i think :D .) We do try to start earlier during the hot months :fire: :eek:

Oh, and buck is okay for the steel, though they'd prefer birdshot; bring a few slugs along, too, there's usually a couple of paper targets at longer range for those.

Just don't hit the steel with a slug or you buy the steel :cuss: :evil:

300lbGorilla
July 10, 2003, 02:29 PM
Red,

It'll take you a little over an hour to get there from WEGC. The main thing is to STAY OFF the 10!!!

You'll want to take the 15 south to the 210 west. The 210 west becomes the 134 in Pasadena. You then have the option of taking surface streets from the 134, or taking the 5 to the 101, or taking the 134 (which becomes the 170) to the 101 and back-tracking south.

Personally, I'd take surface streets through Griffith Park. It's a nice leisurely ride (at least it used to be... haven't been in a couple of years) and will make your wife think you're trying to be romantic to make up for the fact that she's not getting to see the Producers. :D You'll end up out on Los Feliz and can take that to Western, and then to Hollywood Blvd, where you'll make a right.

Good luck, man. I may or may not see you at the range. I'm a one gun man for the time being. :evil:

Skunkabilly
July 10, 2003, 02:59 PM
I may or may not see you at the range. I'm a one gun man for the time being.

Dork, you KNOW you're welcome to shoot my Benelli and M1A...DUH!! :p

tcdrennen
July 10, 2003, 03:15 PM
quote:I may or may not see you at the range. I'm a one gun man for the time being.

Dork, you KNOW you're welcome to shoot my Benelli and M1A...DUH!!

Or let me know if you want to borrow my Mossy 590 or M1A... or I could bring the Mini-14 and the 870 or the Savage riot gun; they haven't had a workout in a while.

Skunkabilly
July 10, 2003, 03:20 PM
tcdrennan if I break my Beretta can I play with your TLE? :D

tcdrennen
July 10, 2003, 06:29 PM
Sure thing - but I wanna try out yer P7M8, even if it is a mere 9mm :evil:

Sigh. My second biggest regret (gun-related: there ARE a few other regrets :rolleyes: ) is passing on a P9S in .45ACP for $600 about 20 years ago. :(

Biggest regret is selling my HK91A 10 years ago to raise cash to try to save a condo. The condo was foreclosed anyway, and while I have another house now, I'll never have another [PRK legal, at least :evil: ] G3 type. :cuss:

ANYWAY. So are we on for West End on the 26th, for Raahauge's this weekend, or both? Inquiring Minds Gots To Know!? :confused: :scrutiny:

Skunkabilly
July 10, 2003, 07:20 PM
ANYWAY. So are we on for West End on the 26th, for Raahauge's this weekend, or both? Inquiring Minds Gots To Know!?

Both, for a month of tacticality! :D

tcdrennen
July 10, 2003, 07:36 PM
quote:ANYWAY. So are we on for West End on the 26th, for Raahauge's this weekend, or both? Inquiring Minds Gots To Know!?

Both, for a month of tacticality!

Okay, so 7/13 at Raahauge's (time?) and 7/26 at West End 9:30 AM

I'm in:D

El Rojo
July 10, 2003, 07:40 PM
Thanks Gorrilla. I will map it out in detail. As far as the story goes, I broke the news to the wife today and she said okay. She seemed like she was less than enthused however she accepted it, so this thing is going great.

I will be brining my M1A, 870P, and my .45ACP. If anyone wants to shoot any of those, they may feel free. I also have a Taurus 9mm, an M1 Garand, and a SKS that if someone needs lender guns, they can use those too. I guess the only thing is bring your own ammo or buy it from me. Heck, for .308 I have enough I might just let you use it. I think there can be enough guns there for everyone. Just let us know what extra we need to bring. Lets have a grand time of it.

Kevlarman
July 10, 2003, 09:22 PM
Hey, I've got a case of .30-06 for just in case the CMP doesn't get my Garand to me in a timely manner! :rolleyes:

But yeah, I'll be in Norco on the 13th and WEGC on the 26. This is gonna be awesome!

Oh yeah, if any of y'all have digital cameras or camcorders, bring them! We have to show the other THRers what SoCal is all about!

Skunkabilly
July 10, 2003, 09:50 PM
OK who's comin' on Sunday 7/13? Sound off!!!

RREEEEEEEEHAAAWWWWWWWWWW!

Umm...post yer pics too how am I gonna find you guys.

El Rojo
July 10, 2003, 10:14 PM
Kevlarman, you need a Garand for the match on the 26th? Let me know. You can shoot mine if you want. It really isn't a problem. Besides, if you break it, I just get to keep yours when it comes in.

Skunk, we all know what you look like. So we will find you! Besides, there can't be too many Asians there can there? :scrutiny:

Kevlarman
July 10, 2003, 11:12 PM
Chalk another Asian to that list. :D

Andrew Wyatt
July 10, 2003, 11:27 PM
gosh darn it.

i can't come.

i have a tactical backpacking patrol on the weekend of the 26th, and a SHTF party this weekend.

Combat-wombat
July 10, 2003, 11:35 PM
what if you only have one gun, and it's a 2-inch S&W M19, and you can't even shoot that 'cause you're underage? Maybe I could make it to lunch and dinner, though.

tcdrennen
July 11, 2003, 01:16 AM
Skunk knows me but here ya go anyway:

http://www.ssashooter.net/photos/people/TaraD.jpg

from Mr. Twisted's Steel Madness home site ssashooter.net (http://www.ssashooter.net)

Tara Drennen

Skunkabilly
July 11, 2003, 02:04 AM
Actually El Rojo, if you make it out on Saturdays for IPSC you can't get around unless you know Tagalog :D

Is La Roja shooting with us?

I got an e-mail back from the guy who runs the match:
We don't discourage bolt action weapons we do not allow steel core ammo.
Some of the rifle courses are 20 - 30 rounds each. My suggestion is if
someone has a .223 buy their own ammo and share the weapon. We normally run
1 or 2 rifle courses.

Handgun is 100 - 200 rounds

Shotgun - 25 rounds bird or buck - 5 rifled slugs

See you there

tcdrennan saw me in my very lethargic sleepy unskunky self on last Sunday. Man I was so tired!!! I was pretty antisocial and dehydrated. If I knew I was gonna run into some THR members out there I woulda worn my LBV or at the very least my drop leg holster for added tacticality. I have an image to uphold as a HSLD operator and I blew it :p

(TLE....TLE....mine.....TLE....)

El Rojo
July 11, 2003, 10:27 AM
Man, I am personally offended by that buy some .223 comment. If I can't get the job done with my M1A, then there is no point in even owning it. I look at three gun as more of a get better to shoot what you got thing. Besides, I want to do better with my M1A than some of the poodle shooters. I need to start practicing reloads again.

Speaking of which, Skunk what do you use to keep your extra rifle mags in during the match? I have a web belt with four 2 mag Israeli type pouches on it, but is that over kill? Will everyone label me as uber-tactical? I do have a few single mag pouches I could put on a belt. Suggestions? I might just use that since that is what I would throw on if I ended up defending the neighborhood against the hords of OC Asian tactical bandits that threaten our sleepy way of life. :D

My main concern is that I carry my Glock 27 all the time. Even though it is a shorty, I would like to shoot that. However, I have no ammo for it right now (other than like 800 rounds of Hydro-Shoks). I do have my 1911 .45 ACP and plenty of ammo for it. My holster for the 1911 is not all that great either, I bought a paddle for some odd reason. I think I will end up using the 1911 anyway.

DJJ
July 11, 2003, 10:30 AM
I'll be there (what time again?).

Any plans for afterward?

Jato, I have some .223, 55 gr FMJ remans from Miwall. I'll have my .30-06, so I probably won't need your AR, but just in case, are those OK?

Coincidentally, I look like El Rojo.

SanduneCC
July 11, 2003, 12:02 PM
This is turning out to be a REDHEAD and ASIAN gig! Noone else need apply! :D :D :D

Skunkabilly
July 11, 2003, 12:10 PM
>> Man, I am personally offended by that buy some .223 comment. If I can't get the job done with my M1A, then there is no point in even owning it. <<

El Rojo, it's just that he doesn't want to take the chance of someone punching a hole through his steel targets--which cost everyone money in the form of match fees, if the targets get torn up.

>> Speaking of which, Skunk what do you use to keep your extra rifle mags in during the match? <<

An SOE dropleg pouch mounted to my belt. Holds 80 rounds. As for uber tactical, don't worry I can be your laugh buffer :p A lady there wears an Eagle tac vest, so I wouldn't worry about it.

tcdrennen
July 11, 2003, 12:13 PM
I just talked to Terry who runs the Raahauge's shoot; start time is 9AM, the stages are basically pistol & shotgun mixes, withe rifle being an additional 'fun' stage run after the others. $20.00 match fee (maybe a discount for LESA or Raahuage's members?)

The West End 3-Gun is more elaborate (some stages use all three guns, most are a mix of shotgun & pistol or rifle & pistol, usually one or two pistol only, maybe one shotgun only and/or one rifle only.) Starts at 9:30AM, $15.00 match fee ($10.00 for WEGC members.)

See ya'll there.:D

Oh, Sandune - don't worry, I'll break up the monotony, being neither Redhead nor Asian (my sister got the red hair.) I'm of good ol' County Galway bog Irish stock :what: :uhoh: :cool:

jato
July 11, 2003, 04:22 PM
Jato, I have some .223, 55 gr FMJ remans from Miwall. I'll have my .30-06, so I probably won't need your AR, but just in case, are those OK?

Don't know who/what "Miwall" is. I would prefer factory ammo. I blew up a Sig P220 with remanufactured ammo. Can't replace my AR here in PRK.

DJJ
July 11, 2003, 06:00 PM
No AR for me, then (actually, I believe it's technically illegal anyway. But I wouldn't have turned you in).

jato
July 12, 2003, 03:12 PM
No AR for me, then (actually, I believe it's technically illegal anyway. But I wouldn't have turned you in).

I was going through the PC 12200 sections. I think you are right. :fire: :banghead:

However, the law is convoluted and poorly written. Since were are mere Subjects under PRK reign, I better not bring the AR.

Skunkabilly
July 13, 2003, 12:41 AM
Hold on a sec here. What's so illegal about shooting your ARs?

El Rojo
July 13, 2003, 02:18 AM
It's illegal for us to shoot their ARs. That is transfer of a registered weapon. A no no. However, anyone can shoot my Garand or M1A if they want.

300lbGorilla
July 13, 2003, 12:39 PM
Federal law allows for the infrequent lending of firearms for sporting purposes and doesn't require that the owner be present while the person borrowing the firearm uses it.

I believe I've read essentially the same thing in CA Penal Code, but the owner MUST be present while the person borrowing the firearm uses it. I think the PC section is something like 12070 that describes this.

300lbGorilla
July 13, 2003, 02:53 PM
Found it. It's 12078 (d) and (h) of the Penal Code.

Go here to look it up:
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/calaw.html

300lbGorilla
July 13, 2003, 02:56 PM
Here's another good piece of info to have:

http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/forms/pdf/cfl.pdf

jato
July 13, 2003, 04:32 PM
I apologize for not being at the shoot. I worked last night and did not get to sleep until 0300 hours. Now I am working overtime tonight 1800-0600. I will make the next shoot.

As to the AR question...

12280. (a) (1) Any person who, within this state, manufactures or
causes to be manufactured, distributes, transports, or imports into
the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who
gives or lends any assault weapon, except as provided by this
chapter, is guilty of a felony, and upon conviction shall be punished
by imprisonment in the state prison for four, six, or eight years.

This is the one that got me. I think there is a section where I can lend the AW while on a range....I need to do more research.

ysr_racer
July 14, 2003, 12:25 AM
So how many people from here showed up? I walked over from the sporting clays range about noon; they were setting up the rifle stage.

We had 3 people show up when I did a GlockTalk get together. I hope you guys did better. I'm always amazed by the amount of people that want to talk about guns, but don't actually shoot.

Do you guys want to try a steel shoot or an IPSC shoot at Raahauges? Let me know. No tactical nonsense, just a fun day shooting.

Skunkabilly
July 14, 2003, 12:43 AM
YSR, I think I remember someone coming over and saying hi to someone and he was wearing a clay vest...was that you?

tcdrennan, kevlarman and DJJ showed up.

Kevlarman, when you gonna post the pics?

Skunkabilly
July 14, 2003, 12:48 AM
SMGLee from HKPRO took this picture for me.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=377074

The shadow of the hull on the drum is pretty :cool:

Kevlarman
July 14, 2003, 02:28 AM
Soon. I have to find a a site that will host my pictures (I'm cheap), and I don't want to be using up my friend's bandwidth.

But for the time being, here's us after a hard day's fun (sans me).

Here's tcdrennan, skunk and DJJ!
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=377157

Skunkabilly
July 15, 2003, 09:35 PM
Oh, can't make it to 7/26, I got a wedding :(

tcdrennen
July 15, 2003, 10:44 PM
Oh, can't make it to 7/26, I got a wedding

Your own???:what: :scrutiny:

:evil:

ysr_racer
July 16, 2003, 12:39 AM
YSR, I think I remember someone coming over and saying hi to someone and he was wearing a clay vest...was that you?

Yep, that was me. They were just starting the rifle stage.

If you guys want to get together and shoot an IPSC match, they hold a great one there every Saturday. No tactical nonsense, no rifle, no shotguns, just a good practical IPSC match.

Here's a link to a web page from the GlockTalk guys: http://god-damn.net/socalglockers.html

El Rojo
July 16, 2003, 09:50 AM
No Skunk on the 26th. I am heartbroken. The wedding can't be until the later afternoon or so, do both. You can just leave early like I am probably going to have to. Say it ain't so.

Skunkabilly
July 16, 2003, 12:03 PM
Man, I can see the sarcasm dripping like CLP from an overlubed trigger group! :D

El Rojo
July 27, 2003, 11:24 AM
I believe I was the only THR member at the West End Gun Club on Saturday. I took a few pictures and will scan them and post them after church today. The after shooting surprise for the wife pulled off like a charm. Once we got to the gun range and I started pulling out guns, she got rather moody. Turns out she was deep down inside hoping that we would be going to The Producers instead of going shooting. I just swallowed my pride and let her be moody, knowing that in mere hours that she would be ain a great mood. Was able to jump through a few stages and the guys there were very nice. Took the 210 to the 134 and when I cut across Universal City to the 101, took out her birthday card with the tickets in it and gave them to her. She was in a state of shock.

That three gun match was good. Had a good time. I screwed up a few stages pretty good, but a few other stages I finished in the upper half right behind all of the AR and Auto shotgun guys. Next time I will do a little practice before hand and I think I can do a lot better. Look for the pictures later today.

TamThompson
July 27, 2003, 11:28 AM
For the cost of a plane ticket and lodging, you could a blonde (female) to your mix! That would be me, from Austin, with my Glock 30, Glock 22C, and Ruger SP101 .357 mag. I'd love an excuse to stock up on Reserve wines!

tcdrennen
July 27, 2003, 11:29 AM
Sorry to have missed you, Red - I managed to tweak the ol' sciatic badly Friday evening whilst finishing up some yard work, and have been barely hobbling (with walking stick) since. :( :banghead: :rolleyes:

Never fails - I only ever cripple myself BEFORE weekends, and am usually ambulatory, at least, by the workweek.

Glad you had fun, and things worked out with the surprise. :D

Kevlarman
July 31, 2003, 09:44 PM
Sounds like you had a blast El Rojo!

Sorry I couldn't make it that weekend either; my final exam in sociology was that day (summer school). :banghead:

If you enjoyed reading about "Socal THR Meet: A Weekend of Tacticality!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!