YOUR biggest range goof

PDA

brashboy
August 4, 2007, 11:08 PM
What's your biggest mistake on the range? Whether you were a newbie or not. Understand, I am not picking on newbies. In fact, I suggest you avoid that word entirely. You might, as an alternative, consider relating goofs you pulled on the range when you were, um, younger.

Here's mine: when in college, shooting indoor, I hit the target frame at least three times, and it wasn't at 25 yards, more like 5, max! The RO standing nearby said, "Son, shoot the paper. This hardware costs money." (Chuckles all around from other shooters. I didn't have the gear others had and, well, looked like a new shooter. Very embarrassing.)

FULL DISCLOSURE:
HR shut down the former thread on "biggest newbie mistake on the range." Good thing, too. It's unfair to suggest that people ignorant of proper range behavior, or basic safe gun handling, should be held to ridicule for range mistakes just because of not knowing them. Assuming, of course, that it was ignorance - more on that below.

Anyway, I realized my error. If I had simply left out the word "newbie" it would have been a very successful - nay, even enlightening - thread. Maybe, just maybe, newer shooters reading such a thread would think to themselves, "Golly, I don't ever want to do THAT." Couldn't I just kick myself now! Omitting the word newbie in the other thread might have, in short, avoiding setting off the PC alarm, which I note was in no way mollified by the confessions that many posters (including me) made of their own behaviors when, um, younger. But this new thread, which omits any references to the "n" word, hopefully will provide just such educational accounts; assuming it is not locked.

But then, something else, something important, occurred to me: who's who? After all, when we see people sweeping loaded guns around, shooting at the ceiling or other people's targets, shooting with liquor on their breath (I've seen all) or whatever, we don't actually [U]know if they're newbies or not, as noted above. While it is natural to assume they are new shooters, we must remember what the military says about assuming. Could be, they're just jacka$$es. But - what if they were afflicted by a mental or physical infirmity that led to the behavior? I've probably got a bit of that myself; runs in the family, according to my Grandmother. I think that the decent sorts among the HR membership share with me a good-willed intent to avoid taking cretinous part in chuckling about the behavior of anyone who might not be responsible for their behavior, however untoward or even dangerous it might be. Point is, you never know.

Should you laugh at any of the posts, that must be a matter between you and your own conscience.

If you enjoyed reading about "YOUR biggest range goof" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
sm
August 4, 2007, 11:28 PM
I promised some kids I would be in town and watch them shoot, and the next day they would come watch me shoot.

These kids were victims of abuse, and the mom's too.
I hate to break a promise to anyone, especially a kid, and really these kids did not need "another broken promise".

The kids were really excited when plans were made early, and they marked off the weeks , then days until this special range times

I was involved in a serious incident, one I was hurt and kept for observation and other things.
I was "out of it" and not able to think clear enough to contact anyone ( not that I wanted to upset anyone either).
They in turn could not "find" me.

Later when I was stable, the day after all all this was to happen:
Oh boy the kids were hurt. Moms too.
I mean I had broken my promise, and this "trust" I had earned was not looking very good at the moment.

It was explained why I had not been able to make it, or contact anyone.
Emotions changed as to how I was, concern and all, still deep inside I had broken a promise.

Seeing this bunch at the first chance I was able was real Odd.

Life lessons about Making Promises, and how sometimes Life is Life and promises get broken.
For both me, and these kids and mom's.

:(

JP from Phoenix
August 4, 2007, 11:29 PM
that is my biggest concern as a newbie, I have little range experience spaced over many years and I got nervious and got a little spooked due to my lack of experience. I just want to make sure i do everything right and not look like a jack***

TnShooter83
August 4, 2007, 11:38 PM
Picking brass off the floor.
I had some 357 given too me, but in return
I had to bring the brass back.
I saw a few other shells there on the floor, and picked them up too.
The range master blew his whistle and asked me to stop.
Then pointed at the "It hit the floor, It ours" sigh.

I was embarrassed to say the least.

Regolith
August 4, 2007, 11:56 PM
Then pointed at the "It hit the floor, It ours" sigh.

I wouldn't go back to that range, if I were you. To me, what they did was theft. There's not a single good reason they should get to keep your brass if it hits the ground. They didn't pay for it; you did (or in this case, the guy that gave it to you and asked for his brass back).

The Deer Hunter
August 5, 2007, 12:03 AM
I would have taken the brass, packed up and left. Thats not a range goof on your part, although I can definitely see that as embarrassing.

Two Cold Soakers
August 5, 2007, 12:46 AM
First time I shot indoors, I figured I didn't need ear protection.....

One shot and one shot only, I was back upstairs, buying plugs.

Guitargod1985
August 5, 2007, 01:49 AM
Yeah, I've done the same thing before. The first time I went bird hunting I didn't use ear protection and I regretted it for nearly two days.

Another time, after that, I went to the range with a buddy of mine and shot his AR-10 in .308. using nothing more than ear plugs. I bought a pair of muffs that day. I later decided that I needed both plugs AND muffs.

Finch
August 5, 2007, 02:10 AM
It wasn't a range, but the desert. When I got shooting, I like to make a day out of it. I'll spend a good four hours out shooting so I bring a lot. Plenty of targets, water, sunscreen, guns, music, food, chair, camera, etc..

So I pack up all my stuff, grab my AR, AK, XD-9, Kimber 1911, and G23. I get all the way out there, set up my targets and go to load my magazines when I realize....

NO AMMO...

Nomad101bc
August 5, 2007, 02:28 AM
I was trying out a new magazine that had been giving me problems. So i fire a round through my .40 S&W CX4 without looking through my sites. Well the first round just so happens to hit the target holder head on and my target gets knocked off. Now I was not trying to even aim just test a mag that had jammed twice already; but no one else knows that and was probably thinking wow what a newbie! It knocked my target right off and left a huge burn mark on the target apparently the round caused the metal to heat because .40 S&W is a hot round. When I wheeled it back in this was confirmed by a large dent with a blackish silver outline...

Mantua
August 5, 2007, 03:12 AM
Hitting equipment. It's only happened once, and no one seemed to notice, but boy was my face red:o

MPanova
August 5, 2007, 05:35 AM
This happend when I first starting taking my wife to the range. I keep my ammo in one tackle box and the pistols in another, I asked my wife where the takle box was and she said she already loaded it in the car, We drive about 45 minutes to the range and to my surprise she loaded up all the ammo and we had no guns to shoot :D needless to say we had a good laugh and went on home

MP5
August 5, 2007, 08:20 AM
HR shut down the former thread on "biggest newbie mistake on the range." Good thing, too. It's unfair to suggest that people ignorant of proper range behavior, or basic safe gun handling, should be held to ridicule for range mistakes just because of not knowing them. Assuming, of course, that it was ignorance - more on that below.

I think that was an unfortunate overreaction on the part of the mods: I didn't read those posts--at least the majority of them--as mocking newbies, but rather pointing out dangerous mistakes or judgment errors that everyone could learn from by reading about. (And some of the arrogantly foolish and dangerous--versus just plain inexperienced--behavior discussed there deserved to be derided.) Just like they closed a few recent threads in the political forum that were discussing the civil liberties/RKBA stance of a certain presidential candidate as "off topic". What??

My one goof:

During the one-on-one training class I paid for at a local range before shooting for the first time, the instructor goes over the four rules with me, has me read them and tell him I understand them, then hands me an unloaded pistol so as to teach me stance and sight picture. Well, immediately after having discussed the four rules and telling him I understand them, I take the gun and put my finger on the trigger :what:

A good example of how people reflexively seem to want to put their finger on the trigger because it either feels natural or is what they always see in movies. Now when I instruct others on the four rules, I take the time to explain that it might feel natural to put that index finger on the trigger, but you need to train yourself to do otherwise. Of course, now, even when I pick up my nephew's toy guns, I hold them the proper, safe way without even thinking about it.

I also mentally recite the four rules before every trip to the range to keep safety foremost in mind and visualize the safe methods of gun handling.

Black Adder LXX
August 5, 2007, 09:25 AM
For me, it was at an indoor pistol range. At that time, most of my experience had been ARs in the Army, and I had little pistol experience. Well, shooting a 9mm, I had hot brass go right down the back of my shirt and *STICK*. I had been burned by brass before, but it had been a while and never down the back of my shirt. So here I am, trying to shrug my shoulders and get it to fall out the bottom to the floor, and it's stuck good. So I turned around in the stall, pistol in hand, hammer cocked and everything and used my weak hand to get the brass loose. I had the presence of mind to have my finger off the trigger and point the gun at the floor, but the fact that I had not kept that thing pointed downrange was inexcusable. There was a couple of kids in the area with their dad, and I could have been dnagerous. Needless to say, that has not ever happened again. And I dress differently, too. Recently I forgot my hat when I was headed out, and I had a piece of 22 brass come down behind my safety glasses and start to burn my eyelid. Same pain, same sudden surprise. Strong hand keeping the pistol downrange, weak hand removing the glasses. I'm still kicking myself for forgetting my hat, but it was nice that I didn't have that problem again.

I guess the lesson in this is: 1. Know the rules inside and out so that when you're reacting to a surprise you react with the rules. 2. Proper dress and equipment at the range affects your safety and the safety of everyone around you.

TX1911fan
August 5, 2007, 10:44 AM
Shooting my friends XD9 at the range. I had been shooting my CZ P-01, which has a 14 round capacity, so when I get to 14 in his gun, I hand it back to him. Probably covered him with the muzzle and everything. He turns and pops off the last two, to my astonished surprise and extreme embarrassment.

ArmedBear
August 5, 2007, 10:46 AM
Put a LOADED trap single in the range rack.

Trap singles have no safety, BTW. And our clay range is very newbie-friendly, so it's customary for an experienced shooter to pick up various other people's guns from the rack and show them to an inexperienced shooter who is curious about what to try or buy.

Someone saw me do it and told me, so I unloaded it. I felt stupid, and very grateful he'd seen it!

silverlance
August 5, 2007, 11:04 AM
Fell asleep at the bench.

Woke up to racous laughter from everybody on the whole line, and the RO's withering glare.

It was just such a nice day, with the wind nicely blowing, me all suited up and plugs and muff on... I just wanted to close my eyes for a little bit..

zzzz

Rufus Pisanus
August 5, 2007, 11:10 AM
The first time I went to the range with my reproduction Colt 1860 black powder revolver I didn't know about chain fire...

So I didn't top off the cylinders with lube or crisco and notice a bigger bang than I expected and a lot of torque. After the fact I noticed that I had shot two rounds at once: one through the barrel and the one next to it jut through the cylinder...

It was very embarassing but nobody noticed or if they did they were kind to me...

Another time something potentially worse happened. I was putting my rifles back in the trunk when I remembered that I hadn't checked that one of them was unloaded before putting it in its case. I thought what the hell sure it's unloaded but then I also told myself, well it's only 5 seconds to check. Sure enough there was a round in the chamber. From that moment on I check and double check. Thanks God I never had an AD so far.

230RN
August 5, 2007, 11:37 AM
About 55 years separate these two incidents.

As an Oldie:

On the way to the range, stopped at a gunshop to pick up a Ruger MK II I'd had my eye on.

No case for it, so used one of my backup wool socks I keep in my trunk.

Get to indoor range, signed in, proceeded to firing points burdened with guns, ammo, whatnot. Shifted hands to open double-door to the firing points.

Ruger fell out on the floor from the open end of the sock.

Each of the dozen eyes looking at me felt like a laser sight.

Picked up gun, skulked to the firing points. Odd that the firing point next to me remained open throughout my session.

As a Newbie (~1954-1955):

Had never fired a scoped center-fire rifle before. Guy on firing point next to me offered to let me shoot his .243.

Settled down, tried to see through the scope, got too close. He started to warn: "You're too close to the" BANG!

Crescent Club Member at the age of 14.

Taking the Band-Aid (TM) off your eyebrow two days later is not pleasant.

ilbob
August 5, 2007, 11:42 AM
I did go to a range once to shoot a rifle and brought the wrong magazines. Plenty of ammo though. :)

Fortunately, I brought plenty of other things to shoot.

hso
August 5, 2007, 02:00 PM
I prefer to learn from other people's mistakes so I don't have any problem in sharing my own (in spite of the embarrassment).

Not wearing ear plugs when I was younger. I'd never even be around shooting now without them (and muffs when shooting). Now I've got tinnitus and some loss as a result. :banghead: Lesson learned: Wear plugs and muffs for even one shot.

Not wearing properly fitted safety glasses. Grabbed a pair of range glasses because I'd left mine in the car. Hot .45 brass can both pop up and back to hit you in the forehead and fit between the gap between your forehead and the badly fitting safety glasses AND still be hot enough to burn your cheek right below the eye. Lemme tell you it takes great will power to not drop/toss the gun and grab the glasses off. Lesson learned: wear glasses that don't gap and a hat with a bill if they do.

Negligent discharge. Had the "last" round fire and the slide lock back. Dropped the mag, looked into the ejection port for daylight where the slide had been and eyeballed the chamber as empty. Dropped the slide and pointing the gun off the deck into soft dirt I pulled the trigger. Nothing. "Oh yeah, Hi Power mag safety!" Popped the "empty" mag back in, racked the slide and it locked back, thumbed the slide lock down and dropped the slide, pointed the gun off the side and turned my head and pulled the trigger expecting "click" and got "BANG" instead. Ramline mag locked the slide back with a round still in the mag. Not checking that the mag was empty was foolish. Good thing I had it pointed in a "safe" direction. Lesson learned: Check everything twice and make no assumptions.

redneckdan
August 5, 2007, 02:47 PM
my biggest goof is blindling following reloading data for .300 whisper from the internet. blew out the web of the case, took the extractor and charging handle with it.

I hate ranges with the "it hits the ground its ours" policies. At the MTU range we have the policy that you can keep your own brass if its behind the line during live fire, stuff forward of the line gets left unless you stay till the end of the night and retrieve it during clean up, we can't stop the line every time some one leaves and wants their brass. Range officers get first crack at brass left at the range, we're a volunteer organization this is one of the very few perks of the job.

Tinman357
August 5, 2007, 03:41 PM
Can’t believe I’m going to tell this story here…. But anyway, My stupid move on a range just might win me a “Dunce” award or something. Ya’ll don’t be to hard on me. :o

I was getting into the cowboy action shooting thing for a while back in the mid-80’s. One evening I was working on my fast draw and pistol twirling. (yes, it was double checked unloaded) Getting good at the game and feeling pretty slick and full of myself.

Next day I had range qualifications, ( I was in the Navy at the time working at Corry Station Pensacola as Navy Police. Good job with great people. ) You can probably figure out what happened next. I just finished a string of fire and twirled that old issue model 10 around my finger and dropped in the holster just as slick as you please. Right in front of my entire command, including my CO and a Marine Corps Master Gunnery Sergeant with a well earned reputation for being real blunt and to the point. A true Korea, Viet Nam vet that had seen the elephant.

Just as soon as it hit bottom I winced at that hard, cold knot deep in the pit of my stomach. Gunny dropped down on me like a ton of bricks wrapped in the wrath of God himself. Ol’ gunny came completely unglued. No doubt the sheer volume of his voice raised the ghost of every warrior as far back as the Roman empire. Worst butt chewing I ever got in my entire career spanning more than 20 years and 2 services. I got to ride a desk for a while after that. :banghead:

What made matters worse is that I wasn’t new to guns. I’d been raised around them all my life. I was teaching self defense courses on the side twice a week to rape victims and was well known for being a “Safety Nazi” The incident quickly ended any aspirations I might have had of being the next great exhibition trick shooter of our times. What a bonehead move.

Lesson never forgotten Gunny. Semper Fi old friend.

ilcylic
August 6, 2007, 12:43 PM
Tinman: Ouch. I can imagine quite well that "Oh dear. I'm about to get dropped on." feeling.

Mine own failures? Oh, there are plenty. I'll just pick out a few.

Out at a *ahem* "wilderness range" with some friends. One of my buddies had a semi-auto 1919A4 with the pistol grip and very strange long rocker arm trigger pull. An extremely difficult trigger to trip the sear with. So, we're all shooting, and I get to what I think is the end of the belt, 'cause I can't see it any more, and pulling the trigger doesn;t do anything. So, we all shut down our weapons and walk down the line to set up more targets. We get back and my friend informs me that the 1919 was loaded the whole time we were downrange.

Another foolish error on my part one time was going out with a group of friends, and not making sure everyone had their hearing protection in before I started shooting. That was pretty embarassing.

SuperNaut
August 6, 2007, 12:52 PM
Outdoor range, nobody around, so I figured it'd be okay to vaporize bottles with my Win 30-30 on the pistol range.

Turns out, it wasn't okay.

W Turner
August 6, 2007, 01:07 PM
During an IDPA match at an indoor range, there was a course of fire that ended with you prone under a table engaging two targets and facing 180 degrees away from the others waiting to shoot. At the end of your particular turn, you unloaded and showed clear before scooting back, sitting up to a kneeling position, dropping the hammer and holstering your weapon.

When I finished my string of fire, I followed the range command to unload and show clear then promptly dropped the hammer and holstered. This was while still lying on my stomach with everyone behind me. I covered every single person who was waiting to shoot. The SO's eyes almost bugged out of his head and let me know in no uncertain terms that what I did was not ok. He chose not to DQ me although I would not have argued if he had.

To this day, I still get shivers down my spine when I think about it.

W

benEzra
August 6, 2007, 01:27 PM
I was 18 and had never been to a formal shooting range before. A cold range was called, and I unwittingly left my mini-14 with a round in the chamber, safety on, magazine inserted, on the sandbags pointed downrange. I thought about it as soon as I was downrange, but the RSO had noticed it immediately when I left the bench, and safed the rifle for me. I got back, and the rifle was canted on the bags, with the magazine out and the chambered round lying on the table. He didn't say anything, though I'm sure he would have if I had done it again; he knew I was a noob, and was being tactful. I have never made that mistake again.

Bart Noir
August 6, 2007, 03:35 PM
Worst one? That would be two days ago, at my first ever action shooting competition, just a few guys having fun in a safe way. Each firing position was for only 6 shots, since my buddy was using his .41 Magnum.

So I ended up with 7 rounds in a magazine for my 1911, when it should have been 6. Either I did it or my buddy did, since he loaded a mag for me. We will never know.

I fired 6, dropped the magazine, moved to the next firing point, loaded another magazine and realized that the slide was not locked back. I had a very brief moment of thinking “this gun has never malf’ed, not ever” and then cycled the slide. Out popped a live round, and I thought I had only fired 5 at the previous firing point.

Was told differently at the end and it cost me some time on my stage. So I didn’t ND that round while moving with a loaded and cocked 1911 with the safety off. But I have no idea of where my trigger finger was while I was moving and don’t know how close I came to an ND. That is a bit sobering.

Bart Noir

Feanaro
August 6, 2007, 03:43 PM
Showed up to a shooting match without my ammo box. I had 3 full magazines and managed to wrangle some more from a kind stranger, thankfully.

Dropped a revolver on the floor of a gunshop/range. Had too many things in my hands.

MikeH
August 6, 2007, 04:10 PM
I hit the target carrier once while practicing double-tap. Have slowed down since then.

Other goofs are not having called ahead before driving an hour to find out that the range isn't open.

RH822
August 6, 2007, 04:27 PM
SHOOTERS. PLACE YOUR WEAPON IN THE SEMI-AUTOMATIC MODE! SHOOTERS, COMMENCE FIRING! BERRRP(full auto)...Private, what the *&#@# is your major malfunction? Sorry Drill Sargent, I guess I'm stupid. Did lots of push-ups for that one.

RH

ArmedBear
August 6, 2007, 04:29 PM
the RSO had noticed it immediately when I left the bench, and safed the rifle for me. I got back, and the rifle was canted on the bags, with the magazine out and the chambered round lying on the table. He didn't say anything, though I'm sure he would have if I had done it again; he knew I was a noob, and was being tactful.

That has to be the first and last time that has ever happened.

The "The RSO...didn't say anything...and was being tactful" part.:)

whitetiger7654
August 6, 2007, 05:32 PM
Fell asleep at the bench.

Woke up to racous laughter from everybody on the whole line, and the RO's withering glare.

It was just such a nice day, with the wind nicely blowing, me all suited up and plugs and muff on... I just wanted to close my eyes for a little bit..

zzzz
_____

That is the funniest thing I have read in a while. Thanks for posting.

Charles W Webb
August 6, 2007, 06:23 PM
One time when I went shooting with my dad we forgot the ear protection, thought no worries it's a .22 mag shouldn't be that loud:scrutiny:. Fired the first round out of the revolver and decided to swap back to the lr cylinder:what:.

Then another time I decided to pull both triggers on my dads Stoeger side by side wich I loaded with 3 inch mag 00 buck:what:. After firing I was looking straight up into the sky. Not really a goof but not smart either.

Same day at same spot in desert my brother loads the Stoeger with birdshot and pulls both triggers.........only he held it loosely unshouldered(Like you would with a pistol grip).....No idea how he managed to turn around soo fast and grab the shotgun as it flipped out of his hand and behind him before it hit the ground:what:

Oh and I almost hit submit on here after typing bird**** instead of birdshot:eek:

U.S.SFC_RET
August 6, 2007, 06:25 PM
I Committed a safety infraction when I was nineteen in basic training (cannot remember what it was, it was '81). The Drill Sergeant planted both legs right over me and grabbed my steel pot by the front of my brim and picked me up by the head from the prone position while my ankles were still on the ground. Great way to open up the ears. :D

Nameless_Hobo
August 6, 2007, 06:28 PM
First time shooting my uncle's AK. First time shooting a gun with a pistol grip, actually.
I Didn't realize how much easier it was to fire with my hand on a pistol grip. Put my finger on the trigger and was pulling it up to my shoulder when...sent a round downrange pulling it up to my shoulder.

Went right below the target, not that big of a deal, but it was stupid to shoot when I wasn't prepared.

bill larry
August 6, 2007, 07:28 PM
This wasn't at a range, and it was at least 10 years ago on Thanksgiving Day, back when I was still in my teens...

We have a family tradition of shooting skeet after dinner on Thanksgiving, and the whole extended family was out in the front yard of my aunt's large spread shooting and BSing.

One of my much older cousins was working the skeet thrower, and I was standing kind of behind him with my dads over and under shotgun. I was just holding the gun, it was loaded, and the safety was on.

Well, the gun slipped from my grasp and I made a grab for it as it went down. This shotgun had a tang safety on top of the wrist: left was the bottom, middel the safe, and right was the top barrel. When I grabbed it, I not only pushed the safety off, but I pulled the trigger as well. The gun was pointed almost straight up at my face, and I was about two feet behind my cousin.

That was enough for everybody, me included.

mek42
August 6, 2007, 08:09 PM
My very own: You don't really need your muffs to keep score for trap since you're not shooting and at least 5 feet behind the shooters, right?

Not me but my responsibility nonetheless: Not ensuring that my wife failed to shoot the range marker sign 2 feet above the target at the indoor range. My wife, who happens to be sitting next to me just in time to see me type this post is giving me all sorts of grief about this one. Hehehe! :D

SaMx
August 6, 2007, 08:13 PM
I don't know if I've told this story here before, so I'll keep it short.

Let's just say that when the mag tube of a Marlin 60 is fully loaded, and you don't lock it closed before you let go, it will launch forward about 10-15 feet :o

68'chevelle
August 6, 2007, 08:16 PM
Shooting at someone else's target.

Rey B
August 6, 2007, 08:40 PM
Drove 45 minutes to the range with three guns two of them have trigger locks and the keys are at home.:fire: So four people share one pistol. Not nearly as much fun.:cuss:

GRB
August 6, 2007, 09:02 PM
My worst range goof was having another shooter point a .22 rifle at me three times while he was teaching his kids without my chewing his head off, and without my moving to a new spot after the first one. Of course a range officer did chew him out three times, but I sure should have moved at least by the 2nd time, ad probably after the 1st.

All the best,
Glenn B

K3
August 6, 2007, 09:33 PM
Forgetting all kinds of gear.

Spotting scope? At home.

Tripod for chronograph? Looks like I'll be setting it on the ground and shooting from the prone.

Ammo. Hehe.

Ear protection? The range rents earmuffs for $2.

larry_minn
August 7, 2007, 12:28 AM
Lets see. Night time after a informal shoot. Small fire with hotdogs. One member of group (Deputy) wants a line of bullet holes in his old truck that he is going to make a farm only truck. He wants to park it at station with line of bullet holes like it got shot with a full auto.
He marks where its (safe) to shoot truck and not hit anything (vital)
My turn comes and I happen to (know) this one mag had two rds in it. We had some safety still going. Those who had any beer were excluded and a RO was with each shooter/range called hot/show clear/holster/range cold etc.
Anyway I fired my two and slide ran forward. It was a softball load (1911) and that was not uncommon so I didn't think anything of it. I removed mag/manually locked slide back (and tilted it so RO could verify clear) he gave the "clear, slide" (for me to drop slide) "Hammer and holster" (instruction to dry fire and then holster gun.)
Well I pointed (not aimed) it at next spot on truck and gun went BOOM not click. (I did mention it was dark and only a fire 30' behind us?) So a flashlight was gotten. Actually the RO was more embarrassed then I was. (I was happy gun was pointed in safe direction)

Drusagas
August 7, 2007, 01:01 AM
I suppose my biggest range goof is having not been to one yet:o...well, pistol range that is, which is what I want to get to.

XD Fan
August 7, 2007, 01:01 AM
Not wear ear protection when shooting an XD 45. That hapened only once.

Anothertime my hand slipped while loading a magazine and the corner of the mag cut my hand. I bled all over.

scout26
August 7, 2007, 01:51 AM
SHOOTERS. PLACE YOUR WEAPON IN THE SEMI-AUTOMATIC MODE! SHOOTERS, COMMENCE FIRING! BERRRP(full auto)...Private, what the *&#@# is your major malfunction? Sorry Drill Sargent, I guess I'm stupid. Did lots of push-ups for that one.

Actually what our Drill Sergeant said was "Rotate your selector lever from SAFE to SEMI-AUTOMATIC". So about 12 of us trainees went SAFE-SEMI-AUTO. COMMEMCE FIRE..... BERRRRPPPPP. Even pleading with the Senior Drill ("Why did you fire fully automatic ??" "Drill Sergeant, Drill Sergeant X told us to rotate our selector levers from SAFE to SEMI to AUTOMATIC and that's what I did, SAFE - SEMI- AUTO.), Even though we could tell that he knew we were right as he had heard the command also that did not get us out of push-ups, crab-walks and variety of other fun events he choose to inflict upon us. But I'd betg anything that Drill Sergeant X got a world class butt chewing later.

Interestingly the only time the Drills ever said AUTOMATIC again was when they meant "AUTOMATIC", as they never said SEMI-AUTOMATIC again, only SEMI.......and Drill Sergeant X never was on a range again during our cycle.

evan price
August 7, 2007, 04:31 AM
Had a "new" sks slamfire an entire load at one sitting at an outdoor range. They still have the holes in the sunshade over that position as it started to climb and I just held on...(Cosmo in the firing pin channel....I know now!)

RyanM
August 7, 2007, 05:09 AM
I ripped my pants wide open, ducking under the thing instead of walking around, to get to my target. Good thing the only other person there was my dad.

280PLUS
August 7, 2007, 05:40 AM
Bigest goof on our range? Old Bill, great guy but what an obtuse sense of humor! :p

Actually, Navy Bootcamp, Orlando 1975, I remember it well...

I had managed to qualify for additional training with the 1911 / .45 and had been going to the range at night for 2 weeks when it was time to qualify or get kicked out. I had finally gotten to where I could shoot a real nice slowfire so it was on to timed / rapid. My first timed target was a disaster with the beat up old POS they had me shooting so the old Master Chief Gunners Mate in charge goes over to the gun cabinet and pulls out this beautiful stainless steel, pearl handled .45 and says, "Here, try it with this." So I take it over to my port, load it up and, as we were taught, started taking the "slack" out of the trigger at bench rest. As soon as I touched that trigger the thing went "BOOM!!" and I popped one off into the floor. The master Chief comes over and says, "Did you DRY FIRE that gun before loading?" "Uh, No Master Chief." I figure life as I know it is now over, I'm a boot with like 6 weeks in the Navy and I'm already in trouble with a Master Chief. A Master Chief is like right up there with God when you're a boot. He says, "Always dry fire a gun before loading it for the first time." walked away and didn't say another word about it. Yes, I was relieved. I also learned a valuable lesson while I was at it.

BTW, shot a 98 timed and a 100 rapid with it, coupled to my 100 slow fire I got the "E" pin that day. :D

brentn
August 7, 2007, 06:16 AM
Some russian guy at the range with his brand new M1A springfield with a camo stock was going ape**** on me.

Me and another guy are shooting our rifles, he's got an ar15 and I just have my 22target, I'm going at it zeroing my target and just trying to get some good groupings, as was he. The russian guy called a ceasfire, but its so damn loud he didn't shout it loud enough, so me and the guy on opposite sides of him are still plinking away.
He called it like 3 times, and on the third time he finally shouted it in my face practically and it was only then did I realize that he was calling a ceasfire. I was just about to put the gun on safe, eject the magazine and cycle the chamber when he decided to do it for me! lol. He grabbed my gun thinking that I wasn't going to clear it and put it on safe, I grabbed it back and looked at him funny and cycled it out. The other guy hadn't noticed that he called a ceasfire either but finally did like me, and cleared his rifle.

The ****ing russian walks all the way down the 50 yard range to adjust something on his target... I was kinda pissed.

First off, don't touch my gun.
Second, be considerate, if you don't have to call a ceasfire and waste everyones ****ing time, don't call it. He could have easily brought the target in for adjustment but when you bring it back, it swings from side to side for a little bit. I guess he thought it was quicker to walk there...

I let him grab my rifle because I realized that I ****ed up, I mean I should have been aware the first time he shouted it and I felt like a ****** for not realizing what was happening.

cassandrasdaddy
August 7, 2007, 07:24 AM
i once fired a bunch of plus p rounds through a lighte framed revolver bent it outa time carried a bit of lead in my thumb for a few years as a result of splash

dfaugh
August 7, 2007, 07:49 AM
I have shown up at the range:

Without ammo for 2 of the 3 guns I brought

Without Magazines(AND no ammo) for one of the guns I brought

WITH the "wrong" guns....grabbed the wrong cases, I was in a hurry

Now I have a "procedure I folllow before headin off to the range, to make SURE I've got what I want/need!

NCLivingBrit
August 7, 2007, 08:27 AM
First time I shot my SKS, I had misread the surplusrifles.com article on the use of the sights. Instead of setting them for 20yds (it's graduated in 10's, right?) I set them for 200.

First round knocks the target down, but the RO is cool about it and gives me the benefit of the doubt (they have to tape the targets to some of the carriers due to previous abuses). We reassemble everything and send the target down range.

Next shot knocks the target down. While it is rumbling back, he asks to see the rifle and politely informs me I have my sights set way too high, shows me where they should be.

Rest of the shoot I turn in some pie-plate groups (it's too dark in there for black sights, not to mention I'm rusty as anything) with my cheeks burning hotter than the gas system.

Shadow Shock
August 7, 2007, 11:51 AM
My dad and I had been deer hunting on this awsome 25 acre lease with a game ranch o=behind it. There was a huge 14-point buck, we had been seing for years, but hadn't been able to get a shot at. One day, my dad was in his stand with our Remington 700 .223, and he saw the buck walk out. He carefully took aim and fired. All he heard was "Click!" He said the deer looked right at him and moved it's head like he was laughing, then took off. My dad checked his gun. He had loaded the magazine, but had forgotten to chamber a round.:D

Bart Noir
August 7, 2007, 03:40 PM
Shadow Shock, did you mean .243 instead of .223? The second one is not much for deer hunting, not even legal for it in many states.

Bart Noir

hcddog
August 7, 2007, 04:37 PM
I got a hot brass down the shirt story, not necessarily at the range.

I just graduated USMC boot camp at the age of 18 (a mere child). A few weeks later, I was doing my Marine Combat Training (MCT), which was basically going out in the field, learn how to patrol, shoot machine guns, etc (I was in a non-combat MOS).

Anyway, we're getting close to the end of our training, and I had a POS not well cared for M16 to lug around that liked to jam on every other shot (of course the fact that I wasn't attentive to cleaning it didn't help). Anyway, near the end of our training, we were doing a two day field excercise in which we'd take turns either sitting in a foxhole all day, waiting for an enemy attack, or we were doing the attacking ourselves. We're firing blanks with a BFE (I think that was the acronym) attached to the end of the barrel.

Anyway, I'm in my foxhole (bored out of my mind), when we get attacked. I'm shooting blanks at attackers, when my rifle jams (again), and I turn around while sitting with my back downrange and clear the jam. I know cease fire is about to be called, but I want to get another round off. So instead of turning around and getting a sight picture, like the dumb 18 year old who hadn't slept in about 2 days I am, I just decide to point the rifle behind me over my shoulder while I'm still facing the opposite direction (ruh roh). Anyone who has fired these rifles should know that pointing it in such a direction makes the ejector port face right at your neck.

I pull the trigger, it fires, and very hot brass shoots right down my shirt. I start doing dancing a little jig while still sitting down to get the brass out, but as I was fishing it out, it goes from inside my shirt...to down my pants! Now my whole body is doing a sitting jig as I frantically fish it out.

Fortunately, no one who matters saw this whole episode, except for my foxhole buddy, who was laughing his butt off at me the entire time :p

AndyC
August 7, 2007, 04:50 PM
Getting DQ'd on my first IPSC match for breaking the 180-degree rule - and I had been in line for at least 3rd place at the time, I was told *sigh*

GigaBuist
August 7, 2007, 06:34 PM
I bought an 870 as my 3rd firearm, the first two being pistols, and when I got to the firing line with it I sat there for a minute not sure which end to stick in the tube magazine first. The Marine that got me into firearms was there and snatched it out of my hands, a bit perturbed if I remember correctly. He said something along the lines of, "Don't worry, you'll still be the first one to shoot it."

Worse: It was a rifled bore shotgun. I knew that meant it was really only good for slugs, so being smart feller I made sure I got #1 shot. That means there's one shot in the shell, right? :rolleyes:
-----
At a local indoor range I got into the practice of loading two targets onto the carrier. I liked to mix things up a bit and alternate between them occasionally. Most folks there put their target on the carrier like this:
[---X---]

When I doubled up I'd do this:
---+---
| | |
X | X
| | |
---+---

The RO informed me that this wasn't acceptable. I was on an end lane, and if I stood in the middle of the lane my shots would impact the side-wall and not the backstop. Felt pretty stupid that day.
------
I, and a buddy, ran down the 100 yard rifle range one afternoon while the adjacent 200 yard range Charter Members Only range was still hot. They're 30-40 yards apart with a 10-15 yard high berm between them. Upon arrival back at the firing line a senior member informed us that that range was closed and Associate members were to use the Charter Member Only range in the interim.

A sign would have been helpful. :scrutiny:

Lesson learned: If there's even a REMOTE chance that you shouldn't be walking somewhere on the range then ask the guys that are shooting. In this case it's better to ask permission than beg forgiveness!

Oddly enough there is a rule about keeping both the 15 yard and 25 yard ranges clear at the same time here. Between them there is a berm that stands taller than a man. I've been informed that the rule is no longer in effect. I've also been informed that the rule is still in effect. Applying the lesson from above I just chat up anybody on the other side of the berm and we agree to do whatever the more restrictive of the two wants.
-----
Not a "noob" mistake, but one that I made, probably the most serious of them all:

At a buddy's house that's got an informal shooting range in his front yard with a bullet trap about 10' wide and 4' high I was using my CZ-52 at 20-ish yards. I must have flinched a couple of times because the guy came over and informed me that I was shooting low and the bullets were bouncing off into the wilderness. Felt pretty stupid.

Now I know why some guys won't shoot FMJ even for target practice.
-------
While shooting out in Montana (at KT Ordnance) last year an informal RO got a bit irked that I was shooting, I kid you not, 30 yards from my steel target, a 6"x6" plate at 150 yards. After successfully (well, managed to hit them eventually) engaging 6"x6" white targets at 125 I discovered that I couldn't find the pink ones in the local fauna. Still, I carried on, and got the first two by shooting in their vicinity, picking them out in the dust cloud by their shadow, and engaging them. However, I took a few shots at what I -thought- was a pink steel target that wasn't.

I've since learned that I have a slight green/red color blindness.

whitetiger7654
August 7, 2007, 07:50 PM
I just remembered one of mine. But I don't really think it should be a goof I think the rules should be changed.

I was at my first GSSF match. Walk up to the line with gun empty and slide locked back. RO says to me I could DQ you and kick you out right now. I say what did I do. My gun isn't loaded and its pointed in a safe direction. He says the rules are all guns must be in a case.

So that was my goof. But the rule doesn't make any sense to me. They would rather have people walk around with possibly loaded guns rattling around in bags with stuff rather than have a gun in plain view with slide locked back.

physics
August 7, 2007, 09:38 PM
Drove 45 minutes to the range with three guns two of them have trigger locks and the keys are at home. So four people share one pistol. Not nearly as much fun.

Drove 4 states away, then realized that all of my guns were locked and I had left my keys with my wife back home... Used an angle grinder to cut the locks off.

Biggest mistake I've made was not teaching someone safety before shooting. It was my old general physics professor, and I figured he was smart enough to know the basics. That won't ever happen again, now everyone gets a safety lecture, whether I've shot with them before or not.

Anyways, my old prof. is emptying a 30 round mag from my AR-15 and shoots off 29. He then decides to turn around and say something to me, finger on the trigger. I very calmly took two step to my right, and then pointed at the gun and told him to fire it downrange.

Looking down the barrel of your own loaded AR with an inexperienced finger on the trigger: NOT FUN. Make sure your range buddy knows proper gun safety.

MrFabulous
August 7, 2007, 10:03 PM
I blasted a hanger with my .45 once. I was practicing shooting weak (one) handed. Mozambique drills to boot. One to the head a bit too quick and I blew my hanger across the range in a nice twisted mess.

I also spent about 15 minutes trying to figure out why my new SKS wouldn't cycle. Had the gas block set for the grenade launcher and it vented the gases needed to chamber another round. Of course, earlier I had read all about this common problem and told myself not to fall for this newb error.

51Cards
August 8, 2007, 01:06 AM
"Welded" a .45 case to my forehead one day. With another one down my shirt. Managed to keep the muzzle pointed downrange the whole time, but they told me I came close to starting a new dance craze.

This is nowhere being anything new, but it would be interesting to see movie clips of this stuff. Awhile back, some guy posted about his girlfriend "collecting" some brass in an interesting place, and how she dealt with it. :what:

Durby
August 8, 2007, 01:21 AM
Mine is that I placed a live .223 round in my Ruger #1 single shot. Just then they call cease fire, and I was momentarily distracted about targets, staples, or something. I had not closed the action, so when I got back to the bench I could see the live round. Still scary, thinking I was walking around in front of it, even though the action was open the hole time.
A favorite hunting story, I duck hunt with a bunch of retired guys. I'm 21, but my hunting partners are 75-92. They all shoot Browning A-5 shotguns, and the owner of the club grabbed the wrong A-5 when we went on our pheasant walk. He grabbed a 2-3/4 inch gun, and his was a 3 inch chamber. So every time we flushed a pheasant, he shot one shell and started swearing. good times

Fat_46
August 8, 2007, 10:46 AM
I have 2, both involving my wife!

For our 5th anniversary she wanted to go to the range. So I packed up an assortment of rifles and handguns and off we went. We plink for awhile with a 10/22, then a Blackhawk shooting cowboy 38 loads, then I break out the AR. I fire off 20 rounds, all in the bullseye. She sits down at the bench, slaps a fresh mag in and releases the bolt...and proceeds to put 20 rounds into one hole the size of a $0.50 cent piece! I am then told that the AR (which I had just finished building mere weeks before) would be a perfect anniversary present:what:

2nd one - another range outing with the wife. She had just bought a Heritage revolver - the one with 2 cylinders (22 and 17). While packing stuff from the safe into various cases and the range bag I somehow forget the 22 cylinder...and the 17 ammo! Needless to say I paid the range $17 for a box of 17 rimfire so she could shoot her new gun!

heypete
August 8, 2007, 11:53 AM
For me? Forgetting magazines. It was embarrassing having to bum mags off of others at the range.

In the army? One of the tank crews in my unit shot a moose (or was it an Elk? I have no idea.) at Ft. Hunter-Ligget in California. Other than shooting one out of season, for which they paid a hefty fine, what's the big deal?

They shot it with the tank's main gun.

The unit was doing tank gunnery and shooting targets a few thousand meters away. Well, this moose (again, not 100% on it's moosiness, but they said it was a moose, and I'll call it that) walks up on the berm at 1000 yards and starts happily chewing on grass. The tower calls a cease-fire for that lane so they don't shoot the moose.

After about 15-20 minutes of waiting for the masticating moose to get out of the way, the tank commander had enough. The commands went like so:
TC: Gunner, sabot, moose!
Gunner: Identified!
Loader: Up! (Main gun's loaded with selected round, armed, and ready to fire.)
TC: Fire!
G: ON THE WAY! (Warning to get away from various parts of the main gun that recoil during firing.)
[BOOM]

According to the video, the moose was reduced to a flying cloud of hamburger and goo.

Fish & Game was not happy, and the crew all received various fines and punishments. A different crew went on to use the coaxial machinegun to machinegun a cow that had somehow gotten on base (in their defense, they were using thermal optics and just saw a hot blob and didn't know that it was one more hot blob than what the specific engagement was supposed to have).

When they got to Iraq, the unit one of Lt.'s was transferred to accidentally main-gunned a bad guy aiming an RPG. The gunner, in his haste and excitement, failed to switch the system from "MAIN GUN" to "COAX" and ended up reducing the bad guy to nothing. Fortunately, no innocents were injured downrange as the round went through some buildings. The army had to pay to repair those buildings, though.

Glock22
August 8, 2007, 12:08 PM
I hit the target carrier and it was swinging a lot.

It was last week.

tuckerdog1
August 8, 2007, 04:21 PM
Posted this on another forum some time ago. But still my biggest goof.

This happened some time ago. But what the hell, I can laugh at myself. Have a FA model 83 in 454 7 1/2 inch, iron sites. Also have a 353 with a pretty nice scope. With the 353 & the scope, I'm dead on. With the 454 & the open sites, I'm just terrible. 53 years old & the eyes are shot.
So I'm at the range, and determined I'm gonna put together a good group with the 454. I'm seated & the gun is on a rest. I'm concentrating REAL hard. Steady, exhale, smooth trigger pull. BOOM & YEEEOWWW.
Was concentrating so hard on the shot placement, I neglected to control recoil. Gun came back, hammer spur nailed me in the middle of the forehead, and broke my favorite shooting glasses. There were other shooters on the line, so I felt like a 1st class boob. Little trickle of blood runninng between my eyes. Had a perfect outline of the hammer on my forehead for almost a week. And I know better.

Anybody else care to come clean?

Tuckerdog1

SMMAssociates
August 8, 2007, 04:59 PM
tuckerdog1:

Not necessarily the worst, but.... A buddy of mine used to regularly bring a .44 Mag Ruger to the range. "Vaquero" or some such - "Colt SA Army" style. We'd put .44Spls in it and enjoy the rather long barrel.... (I get bored with punching dime sized holes, but once in a while....)

One night Joe brought some magnums. WTH, I own (and have fired a LOT with full loads) a nice .357 Magnum, so....

Forgot that this gun is designed ("Cowboy" grip) to flip the muzzle up during recoil, and the grip is intended to let the gun rotate that way, driving the base of the grip downwards.

Guess who put his palm UNDER the grip....

Guess who had a bruise that took at least a week to go away....

Then there was the night that I was shooting a .380 and switched to a 9mm. Put a whole mag full of .380's into the 9mm mag.... The first one fired, and refused to eject. That's when I noticed.... S&W M39. I think it's failed to do something about five times since I bought it in the 70's.... No harm done, but it split the .380 case.

Regards,

Aaryq
August 8, 2007, 05:03 PM
One of my guns is a JC Higgins 103 single shot .22. My first trip to the range with my wife, I flagged her twice while I was reloading. She'd never shot before and warned me both times. I felt like such a twerp since I was teaching HER how to shoot. It was only us at a range with no RO's and told her that if it had a real RO, I would've been kicked off the range. Oops.

41magsnub
August 8, 2007, 05:28 PM
I was messing with my .45-70 Sharp's rifle that has a set trigger. I forgot just how light of a pull the trigger is once the set trigger is used, I think it is under 1# I partially shouldered the rifle and before I had it all positioned right I pulled the set trigger. As I was finishing getting everything all position I lightly bumped the main trigger.

The rifle was aimed up 45 degrees and about 2 inches away from my shoulder. Nobody saw me do it but it was embarrasing as hell and it hurt like hell. I know the round completely left the range, much less my lane.

MS .45
August 8, 2007, 06:06 PM
Forgeting to put my ears back on after conversing with a friend. Indoor range + 9mm - hearing protection = ouch!

Durby
August 9, 2007, 08:57 PM
Not mine, but at an outdoor range here in CA there are not one, but two bullet holes in the tin roof over the benches. probably about 70 or 80 degrees up from horizontal from where you are shooting.

SMMAssociates
August 9, 2007, 09:52 PM
Holes is good....

Our indoor range swapped from metal hangers to 1x2 framed cardboard holders. Total garbage if damaged, but useful. Loved 'em.... After about six months, the guy in charge of the facility decided to re-hang the metal stuff. That's a vertical piece of 3/4" conduit with a short flat horizontal section at the bottom (they hang from the top) that has a couple nails welded to it that actually hold the paper. We have seven "positions". I was by myself one night just after the metal hangers went back up and put a .45 dead center into the pipe about 4" above the target on #4....

Not to be outdone, one of the other members punched one into the 1x8 that covers the spotlights above the target area. He also hit some conduit. This piece had wires in it.... Took out the wiring for half the lights....

(If the target numbers get a few more holes they won't be readable. I really don't want to know what's going on down there when I'm not....)

Regards,

AndyC
August 9, 2007, 11:00 PM
When they got to Iraq, the unit one of Lt.'s was transferred to accidentally main-gunned a bad guy aiming an RPG. The gunner, in his haste and excitement, failed to switch the system from "MAIN GUN" to "COAX" and ended up reducing the bad guy to nothing.
Someone finally used enough gun :D

TrekkieFromHell
August 10, 2007, 12:23 AM
My roommate and I went out to test fire his AKM that had been giving him problems with the bolt. We get out to the range, pull out the AKM, slap in a 30 rd mag, and chamber a round.

Him:
*Pulls trigger*
*Click*
*Cycles action, no round comes out*
*Takes dust cover off*
Me:
*Hey, where the hell is your bolt?*

:p

JKimball
August 10, 2007, 03:50 AM
ND into the ground about 15ft in front of me at an outdoor range. D'oh! I was trying to decock my CZ-52 one handed and I think my middle finger must have touched off the trigger while I was pushing up on the decock lever with my thumb.

357-8-times
August 16, 2007, 09:59 PM
Discovered that the toilet of an indoor range has only a baseboard panel between it and the firing line - I had not realized that I needed earplugs to enter the bathroom... You can all use your imagination...

campergeek
August 16, 2007, 11:11 PM
Last night.

Took 4 friends to the range (a very well-regulated state-run range), none of whom had been to a rifle range in at least 20 years, if ever.

Range protocols are as follows:

RO calls range hot
Put on ear & eye protection
2 people enter booth
1 friend shoots until RO calls range cold
Take off eye & ear protection
leave booth
Change target if necessary
Repeat

Now, at this particular range you are only allowed to enter your booth while the range is hot. After we were done we waited for the range to go hot. Then, our procedure went something like this:

RO calls range hot
Forget that people shooting in adjacent booths is loud, too
Enter booth to clean up
Scramble for ear muffs when .308 in next booth goes off

Not pleasant, but if that's the worst goof in an evening I'll take it.

Claude Clay
August 17, 2007, 08:12 AM
re your cz 52.... might not have been any of your fingers...they are known to fire themselves-sic- when decocked. its a quirk of age/sear alignment & has happened to me also. Knowning this is probable, I dont consider it to be a AD. Just got to be R E A L careful with it. preferably decock on an empty chamber.

Zen21Tao
August 17, 2007, 08:36 AM
My biggest goof was when I inadvertently took the wrong caliber of ammo for the weapons I had brought with me to use. Luckily, I was at the indoor range that sells ammo and not at the free range 15 miles away from the nearest place to buy ammo (provided that Walmart even still sells ammo).

USAFrenegade
August 19, 2007, 12:44 AM
It was a cloudy day at the range and I was sighting in my new Bushnell scope. No matter what I did I could not get enough light in my scope. I had been shooting for about 12 years at this point so I thought I'll move my head right as I sqeeze the trigger. Having been scope bitten once before, BANG! Come to find out the rife recoiled faster than I could move. I had a perfect circle around my fresh black eye for 2 weeks, but the shot was still in the 9 ring at 200 yds.

Dr. Peter Venkman
August 19, 2007, 01:44 AM
Loading an En Bloc into my Garand and handing it to my friend who sat down at the rifle bench, slapped the bolt up, and started firing. No safety violations. The 5th round chambered but didn't fire, so I took it out as a dud. The next round didin't chamber at all. Turns out they were .280. :cuss:

Titan6
August 19, 2007, 07:37 AM
Took the boys to shoot a few rounds of clays. Had to stop at Wallyworld for a case of shells. These days they keep the cases in the back instead of on the shelf. The stock boy fetches me a case and we head out to the range.

We get there and I run through my last box of on hand shells and break open the new case. Yep it is 20 Gauge and I only brought 12s. It is a good 15 miles back to the store. Always check what they hand you....

Silvanus
August 19, 2007, 09:02 AM
Negligent discharge. Had the "last" round fire and the slide lock back. Dropped the mag, looked into the ejection port for daylight where the slide had been and eyeballed the chamber as empty. Dropped the slide and pointing the gun off the deck into soft dirt I pulled the trigger. Nothing. "Oh yeah, Hi Power mag safety!" Popped the "empty" mag back in, racked the slide and it locked back, thumbed the slide lock down and dropped the slide, pointed the gun off the side and turned my head and pulled the trigger expecting "click" and got "BANG" instead. Ramline mag locked the slide back with a round still in the mag. Not checking that the mag was empty was foolish. Good thing I had it pointed in a "safe" direction. Lesson learned: Check everything twice and make no assumptions.

hso, that's EXACTLY what happened to me! I was at home without hearing protection though... Damn magazine safety! I removed it after that (much better without it anyway).

TehK1w1
September 4, 2007, 02:17 AM
Went to a Skeet shooting event put on by the company my father works for. We drove 45 miles to the range only to find the keys for the gun locks had been left at home... We ended up borrowing shotties for the event, but I had also forgotten my glasses...

Picknlittle
September 4, 2007, 07:53 AM
I don't really think this is a goof, but certainly a spooky mishap.

About my third trip to the range with my .35 Whelen 03A3. I was about twenty minutes into shooting when after loading the mag, as I closed the bolt, the gun fired. It was pointed downrange and did strike high on the berm, but scared the dickens outta me.

It has not happened since. Just makes me wonder. When I stripped and cleaned the gun, bolt and all I found nothing suspicious.

WinkingTiger
September 4, 2007, 05:58 PM
I had a job interview and I was all dressed up in a suit and tie. After the interview I felt the need to go target shooting and releive some stress.

I starting shooting my Sig Sauer 9mm pistol pretty fast. The brass was flying all over the place.

After I was done shooting I noticed that the hot brass burned some small holes in the pants and jacket of my suit.

Target shooting wearing a suit is not something I plan on repeating.

If you enjoyed reading about "YOUR biggest range goof" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!