Advice on my New Remington 700

PDA

CommanderPoopyduX
August 5, 2007, 12:57 AM
I just got home with my brand new Remington 700 Varmint SPS.....as some of you know I was kicking around which caliber I wanted to go with, and after much thought and consideration, I ended up going with .223. The reason was the price and ease of finding the ammo......and the lack of recoil when shooting it. PLUS, I already have a 700 in 30-06, so I really don't need a large game caliber (I was planning on going with 308)....PLUS my local Bass Pro had a sale on them (except for 308 which they don't carry) and 223 seemed to have more bullet options than 22-250 and 204 (hopefully I didn't choose wrong) especially since I don't expect to be shooting much more than paper with this gun.

Anyway, my first order of business is to get this thing outfitted with a scope...so what is the best option for mounting one? Obviously I can place rails above the bolt, so which brand and from where?

Next order of business will be a bi-pod...I'm guessing Harris, but which one?

Last question...for the first time I go shooting, what is everyone's take on "breaking in the barrel"? Can i just shoot my 20 rounds or so and come home and clean, or do I need to shoot one, clean, etc etc...?

ps - in case any one wonders, I got the gun for $470....

If you enjoyed reading about "Advice on my New Remington 700" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
45ACPUSER
August 5, 2007, 01:43 AM
Get Warne Base and Rings check Midway/Brownells/Cabelas

CommanderPoopyduX
August 5, 2007, 01:53 AM
quite a few choices at Brownells.....which one in particular were you referring?

If you enjoyed reading about "Advice on my New Remington 700" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!