How about an AMmo Sampler for a specific cartridge?

PDA

BlindJustice
August 5, 2007, 01:44 AM
I was looking at some different offerings from ammo manufacturers

No matter the firm you have to buy a 50 rd or hotter stuff at 20 rds a box
for handguns. I tossed about the choices - hey why don't any of these firms offer a "sampler?" i.e. a sampler like at my fav. Ale house that offers a
standard el cheapo beer swill in a pitcher or nice bottled beer and also micro brews - the sampler is a round tray of 6-8 beers from light to heavy

Why don't Ammo firms offer a box of 50 with say 5 groups Left to right of
lightest to heavier bullet weights and market it as tThe Sampler decide which one or more your going to want to buy a box of 20 or 50 of?

I think somebody oughta give em a clue how to talk ammo buyers into diversifying into possibiliteds.???

You could include a row of 5 shot shells or other stuff of that type - they
might balk at buying a bigger box but if they try it and like it
they'll come back for more

or am I a fool for thinking this could possibly hapen.??

heck a cardboard insert to tell buyers what each row or rows are
is all it takes

BlindJustice

If you enjoyed reading about "How about an AMmo Sampler for a specific cartridge?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Guzzizzit
August 5, 2007, 01:50 AM
I like the idea, tho i think 10 rounds of each might be too few to make a decision. A sampler box like that should be at least a 100 round box with 20 of each so you could get a real feel for them. Or even better, a 250 round mega pack.

On a similar note. I've always wished that powder makers made 3 oz. Trial sizes of there powder so you could experiment with different hand loads before buying a whole pound. But thats just me.

kd7nqb
August 5, 2007, 02:03 AM
As a man who just enjoyed a beer sampler tonight this thread caught my eye. I think it would be a brilliant idea. But the logistics might be tough, only because even within the same manufacturing plant each type of ammo is pretty segregated out.

Also I think 10rnds of each might be plenty to at least provide a reason to buy a box.

BlindJustice
August 5, 2007, 02:09 AM
Let's look at this from a couple of different shoooters who might by a
4 x 10 and 2 x 5 'Sample"

Let's go with a guy who is trying to get his GF with a .357 Mag
to get used to the gun and possibilities.- as the GF goes up the power
range"

10 rds .38 spcl 158 gr. the old standard
10 .38 SPcl 125 gr +P
10 .357 Mag 125 gr. JHP
10 .357 Mag 158 gr. PSP
10 but 5 each of different size shot
say #12 and #7 1/2 size

buy two boxes and have fun moving up the ladder

or put something like this together for the guy who demands
to buy a 629 in .44 MAG and buys full loads and has sore
wrists and then stops shooting but keeps the gun for a year or two
to wave it around and brag he has it but hasn't a clue
there are lighter loads to learn with ...

LOts of cartridges with a lot of options

Gifted
August 5, 2007, 02:26 AM
I think a smaller ten or fifteen round box would be good. The "sampler" would be several boxes packed together. Last thing you want is several different loads mixed up.

BlindJustice
August 5, 2007, 02:43 AM
Well putting it into 10 rd packs but one box overall is just
packaging.... just never sell the really hot stuff with the mild loads.

but there are several cartridges that have a wide range
of bullet weights.

ALso a firm - an independent could offer a box of 5 x 10 so it's
50 total and every thing is loaded to approx the same weight but
offer it with
Gold DOt
Gold Saber
Hydra shok
Hornady XTP
W-W SXT

take that box and your soaked pile of newspapers and
compare yourself instead of some gun writers.

THe big 5 or whatever might not like that but we might...

Jorg Nysgerrig
August 5, 2007, 03:33 AM
It's an interesting idea and no doubt attractive to someone who is looking for a variety of ammo to try, but where's the money for the ammo companies and the retailers? It doesn't seem that such a pack would have many repeat buyers.

As far as a third party packaging it, not only would they have to mark up the things they bought, but there might be questions of the authenticity.

XDJ
August 5, 2007, 03:41 AM
DoubleTap has something like that.

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_34&products_id=97&osCsid=97b975ddcac3a3a788ef8f24196f3801

WeedWhacker
August 5, 2007, 04:41 AM
Sounds like a lot of needless packaging when one can merely pick-and-choose their own mix using 20-round boxes. For handguns, a 20-round box isn't likely to fill up two regular-capacity mags!

If such "variety packs" are offered, it is almost certain that the price would be higher than simply buying a mix of the standard offerings.

MPanova
August 5, 2007, 05:21 AM
That double tap sample pack is pointless. You are just choosing which 3 boxes of 50 you want them to send you :rolleyes:

I think the OP had somehting like this in mind

http://www.ballisticsupply.net/Default.aspx?tabid=256928
http://www.ballisticsupply.net/Portals/11097/sample%20pak%202.JPG

I just ordered both sample packs :D

alucard0822
August 5, 2007, 06:57 AM
would be fun for hanguns, but a godsend for rifles, how many different bullet weights/manufacturers have you tried in the quest for "best load in this gun". basically handloaders use the sample pack idea when dialing in charge weights or OAL.

I have put together "break in" kits for new rifles, 3 groups of 5 rds each with progressively finer polishing compound impregnated bullets, and then 100 moly coated rounds, clean thouroughly betweeen each stage and you will be surprised with the results.

Neo-Luddite
August 5, 2007, 09:48 AM
Really, a nice stocking stuffer idea for Christmas.

If you enjoyed reading about "How about an AMmo Sampler for a specific cartridge?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!