Soldier's tooth stops bullet!

PDA

General Geoff
August 5, 2007, 07:50 AM
Link (http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=e60_1186197116)

The Tooth that Saved a Soldier's Life Marked as: Mature, Featured
Christmas Eve morning a soldier came into our clinic at the Ibn Sina Hospital in downtown Baghdad covered in his own blood. He recounted an incredible story. Early Christmas Eve morning, two squads were assigned to sweep and clear two adjacent homes where Iraq terrorists were holed-up. The patient, SGT C, was leading one of those assault squads. The other squad hit their target first.

SGT C said that he heard a lot of small arms fire and yelling, so he thought he would round the corner and size up the situation before advancing his team. Unfortunately, as he turned the corner, he found himself staring directly into the barrel of a 9mm automatic pistol. SGT C said he never had time to be scared, he just knew he was dead. The terrorist pulled the trigger and, miraculously, SGT C found himself still standing. He figured the bullet had missed. He advanced on the Iraqi, who immediately surrendered. After the enemy was rounded up, SGT C said he started to feel light! headed and one of his soldiers insisted that he proceed to the hospital. He realized at this time that he had lost his front tooth in the gun fight. He figured the ballistic shock from the weapon's blast had knocked it loose. He was wrong.

When he presented early that morning Major Kimberly Perkins, our oral surgeon, took a panograph and discovered the incredible truth. The 9mm bullet did NOT miss SGT C. He was hit directly in the face. The bullet entered just below his nose where it impacted the apex of #8. The energy from the bullet was transferred to the tooth, literally ejecting the tooth from its socket, and stopping the bullet in its track. Other than the missing tooth, the majority of SGT C's injuries were confined to soft tissue.

Incredible. The Iraqi probably thought the guy was Superman or something. Not every day you shoot someone in the head from point blank range, and they stand there like nothing happened. :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Soldier's tooth stops bullet!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Nomad101bc
August 5, 2007, 08:35 AM
See 9mm is not a strong enough caliber for HD. :) Amazing story though glad he was so fortunate.

Wayne G.
August 5, 2007, 08:41 AM
The 9mm bullet did NOT miss SGT C. He was hit directly in the face.

So much for the "caliber doesn't matter--it's all about shot placement" theory!

Harley Quinn
August 5, 2007, 09:41 AM
The terrorist pulled the trigger and, miraculously, SGT C found himself still standing. He figured the bullet had missed. He advanced on the Iraqi, who immediately surrendered. After the enemy was rounded up, SGT C said he started to feel light! headed

This person is very lucky to be sure.

My main thought is, you don't shoot back, they shoot you and then surrender:confused: This is a story that is perplexing in more ways then one.

I have read the stories going around about this attitude.

We should leave the area, surround it. Wait awhile, go back, mop up and bury the dead.

Cannonball888
August 5, 2007, 09:48 AM
R Lee Emery always said the 9mm is an inadequate combat round.

Black Adder LXX
August 5, 2007, 10:00 AM
1. I'm really glad that guy went home okay.
2. Sounds like a "Christmas Miracle" to me
3. I'm really starting to doubt my 9mm pistols
4. I'm glad I have a 357
5. I need a 45-got to buy a new gun (rats...)

cambeul41
August 5, 2007, 10:23 AM
. . . this is as good as any. On the other hand, I would be willing to bet that the round was defective.

CajunBass
August 5, 2007, 10:42 AM
So much for the "caliber doesn't matter--it's all about shot placement" theory!

R Lee Emery always said the 9mm is an inadequate combat round.

Yea. Ignore all those stacks of bodies in the 9mm's corner. Focus on one miracle instead. Good plan. :D

Black Adder LXX
August 5, 2007, 11:03 AM
Yea. Ignore all those stacks of bodies in the 9mm's corner. Focus on one miracle instead. Good plan.

Shh. you're ruining my justification for another gun! :)

GunTech
August 5, 2007, 11:14 AM
That just gores to show that blind luck will often enought trump everything else. But it's not something I'd rely on.

dogtown tom
August 5, 2007, 11:18 AM
He was hit directly in the face.
As opposed to being hit indirectly in the face?:eek:

Given the general inaccuracies in news reporting, I have more than a little scepticism about this one too.

What 9mm CARTRIDGE? The surgeon said it was a 9mm & the article says 9mm automatic, but nowhere does it tell us if it was a .380, 9x18 Makarov, 9mm Largo, or as everyone on here assumed- the 9x19.

.45ACP fans shouldn't get too excited.

leadcounsel
August 5, 2007, 11:34 AM
I call BS.

The article is full of inconsistencies (moved in and captured the terrorist - yeah, right. If a terrorist shoots at a team during MOUT, that terrorist is shot) and mis-statements (automatic pistol)...

If it did happen, then it was defective powder/bullet or it was a ricochet off a wall.

I will confess that really bizarre things happen. In college, a guy a few doors down in my dormatory was taking meds for an infection (sports related laceration). He was feeling dizy and leaned against what he though was a window. The window was open and he went right out the 4th story window and landed on packed dirt and shrubbery. According to witnesses, he got up and walked back inside. He was taken to the hospital for observation and was sent home the next day without a single injury related to the fall!

Wayne G.
August 5, 2007, 12:27 PM
Yea. Ignore all those stacks of bodies in the 9mm's corner.

:rolleyes: 22's and baseball bats have killed people too. That doesn't mean I'd trust either to protect my life.

.45ACP fans shouldn't get too excited.

I think you meant to say 9mm fans shouldn't get too excited. Show me an article where a 45 is stopped by a TOOTH :what: and I'll start to get excited. Until then, I'll stick with 45. Use what you feel comfortable with. I'm merely doing the same!

Harley Quinn
August 5, 2007, 12:37 PM
I am comfortable with most of the ones that are out there doing the job. I carried a 38 spl for many, many years. The reason I felt good about them then and now, is I can hit what I aim at. No problem in that sector.:)

Now carry (under clothes) a Beretta 1935 380:what:

SDC
August 5, 2007, 12:42 PM
It may not have even been a 9mm; the Iraqis have produced lots of copies of Beretta pistols that LOOK like 9mms, but are chambered in .32.

k-frame
August 5, 2007, 12:51 PM
Snopes stalked about this a while back and added some more detail plus images of the lucky soldier.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/military/teeth.asp

jkcourtney
August 5, 2007, 01:48 PM
i'm a .45 fan that understands why 9mm is still used today...obviously .45 is bigger and more damaging but 9mm has it's place and for a .45 fan to jump on this to try to prove a point is retarted...the only explanation for this is a miracle...I'd be willin to bet this soldier had some ppl prayin for him back home and if it was a miracle......not even a .50 cal would have killed him....just MHO.:) and i carry .45 cause i am more comfortable with it:) and because I want the chances of a one shot take down as high as possible...within reason of course...i just know somone would tell me to pack a hand grenade or sumthin..lol

Cosmoline
August 5, 2007, 02:06 PM
9mm WHAT? You should know by now Iraq is a mishmash of arms from the past 100 years. It could have easily been a 9x18 or a 9 corto. That is assuming the report is even remotely accurate to begin with. It could have been a .32 or a .25. Who's going to know the difference?

El Tejon
August 5, 2007, 02:12 PM
Bullet placement!:rolleyes::D How many times have we read that rubbish on THR? 1,000 by now?

Good thing this soldier does not read THR. If he had he would have known that one is to immediately fall to the ground and die once he was shot in the head.;)

Remember, it's just a handgun. Many people have been shot in the head and continued to fight after being shot in the head.

Zoogster
August 5, 2007, 02:16 PM
What caliber for dental work?

Most likely the particular round was a failure and the powder did not fully function. Whether it was from age, poor storage, a bad attempt at manufacturing in some third world factory etc. We also know the reporters often get the cartridge wrong, and 9mm as others have mentioned could be any number of rounds even if accurate, not just the 9x19 that we reserve that title for.

The guy is lucky, that much is clear.

Nomad101bc
August 5, 2007, 02:17 PM
Ohh I am no .45 fan. But I am a .40 S&W fanatic! If you look at ballistic gelatin it penetrates and does about the same size damage and it can hold more rounds.

Tommygunn
August 5, 2007, 02:18 PM
Yea. Ignore all those stacks of bodies in the 9mm's corner.

"one swallow does not a summer make."
Maybe it was a round that hadn't been assembled correctly, ie., too light of a powder charge????
Or maybe it was, as some suggest, a smaller caliber.
Something is fishy 'bout this, though.

Anyway ... a good lesson from this ...DOUBLETAP!

While 9mm. may not be a "magic" bullet, I'd generally expect more penetration than what happened in this case. Yup, that is one lucky soldier.

The Deer Hunter
August 5, 2007, 02:19 PM
I'm sure that will be an interesting scar to explain.

Like others said, maybe it was light on powder but maybe thats why he didn't shoot twice, maybe the gun's action didn't cycle correctly.

JP from Phoenix
August 5, 2007, 02:41 PM
Wow either those iraquis must have some pretty crappy guns or this dude had some pretty strong teeth!

GRIZ22
August 5, 2007, 03:00 PM
I personally know of someone who was shot in the mouth with a 380 FMJ at a range of about 10 feet. The bullet was deflected by their teeth and/or roof of the mouth, exited under the chin and lodged in their chest being stopped by the breastbone. They fully recovered after returning fire killing the BG. You don't have to believe it but I saw it happen.

I related this in response to another thread. The good guy fired 3 rounds after being hit in the mouth killing the bad guy.

Rather than get in a caliber war and speculate if it was a 380, 9x18, 32 or whatever, you have to recignize sometimes there are freak things that happen. It also this is evidence there is a Higher Authority looking after the good guys at times.

jefnvk
August 5, 2007, 03:26 PM
Freak accident, could have happened with anything. As others have said, probably a light powder charge or ricochet.

Not saying 9mm is perfect, but I'm not calling it underpowered based on one report. I'd b willing to be there are thousands of freak accidents with .45, .357 and .44 Mag as well.

Harley Quinn
August 5, 2007, 04:31 PM
This is a perfect thread for those who wish to pulver the 9mm:uhoh:
But in all honesty, all they are going to do is hit them selves in the foot.

It is a story, nothing else and not a lot of back up to boot.:uhoh::scrutiny:

Edit:
Looking at the base end of the bullet in his mouth (between teeth), I'd say it was not a 9mm.
Looks to small, plus you can see some of the tooth next to it.

mjrodney
August 5, 2007, 04:50 PM
Fluoride containing compounds such as sodium fluoride, calcium fluoride, and sodium monofluorophosphate are commonly added to toothpaste, drinking water, prescribed treatments, and other commercially available oral hygiene products because fluoride strengthens the tooth enamel.

Fluoride.....that's what it is......fluoride.......:p

Odd Job
August 5, 2007, 04:51 PM
The X-ray on Snopes appears to match the teeth on the photograph, and the image of the deformed round on the X-ray is consistent with other deformed rounds I have seen in gunshot victims.

The only conclusion you can come to in this case is what I have been saying for a long time: the human face represents the most complex of targets in the human body. Odd things happen. I've seen one or two gunshot faces and I can tell you that sometimes it is very difficult to understand the nature of the terminal trajectory, especially if you get a case of 'pinball.'

Sistema1927
August 5, 2007, 04:57 PM
I, for one, am glad that the 9mm failed in this case.

This will not, however, keep me from pocket carrying a Kahr PM9.

Sharps-shooter
August 5, 2007, 05:06 PM
Well, miracles work in many ways. This particular miracle may have included just the wrong bullet being in the chamber at just the right time.

I don't think it matters if it was 9mm parabellum or corto or whatever. They all should be good for a face shot at close range. If there's enough powder behind the bullet.

I can take a 45-70 cartridge and load it so that a 400 grain bullet won't penetrate a piece of sheetrock. If you don't put anything but the primer in it, it just pops out the end of the barrel like a corkgun.

Someone, somewhere loaded the round in this story. I wouldn't be surprised if it was done at a sweatshop where time and powder were both in short supply.

Just my guess, not meaning to say that it wasn't divine intervention all the same.

Kevin108
August 5, 2007, 05:31 PM
Talk about biting the bullet...

C-grunt
August 5, 2007, 07:37 PM
Definitly a deffective round. The 9mm is known for its penetration ability. Isnt that the whole argument against the 9mm ball...."It just zips right through the BG without doing a whole lot of damage."

The few insurgents that I saw the Iraqi Police shoot with their 9mm ball Glock 19s all had through and through wounds.

Noxx
August 5, 2007, 07:55 PM
Show me an article where a 45 is stopped by a TOOTH and I'll start to get excited. Until then, I'll stick with 45

Didn't one member of the newton gang catch 4-5 .45's in the upper body and survive?

Freak shots happen, nothing's guaranteed.

Scanr
August 5, 2007, 08:41 PM
I'd give my eye tooth to be that lucky. :D

1. Someone was praying for that boy.

2. Time to trade my 9 in for a 40 or 45. ;)

Harley Quinn
August 6, 2007, 12:38 AM
Old Cole Younger lived through many a shot, with a 45 I think:what:
I'd heard stories about the 45 going around the skull and under the skin and coming out the same hole, Hmmm maybe that was a 25:confused:

Gettin pretty hard of hearing of late, to many 30 cals and 45s back in the 50's and 60's. Huh:eek:

Blackbeard
August 6, 2007, 01:47 PM
Man, you guys will jump all over one data point and call it proven. There are too many questions here to draw any conclusions about effectiveness.

What type of cartridge was it? Maybe it was a squib load. How many guys have been shot in the teeth with a .45? Any of them get deflected? What was the angle of impact? Maybe his head turned away and the bullet just grazed his tooth, knocking it out. He did say he thought the shot missed. I don't think a point-blank perpendicular shot in the face is going to be confused with a miss.

MachIVshooter
August 6, 2007, 02:03 PM
People taking handgun rounds to the face and the round failing to penetrate into the brain cavity is not all that uncommon. Lots of relatively thick bones up there with strange angles.

Yes, this soldier was very lucky indeed. But he is not the first - nor will he be the last - individual to survive a handgun wound to the head at point blank range.

That said, it is strange how sometimes people survive some absolutely horrific injuries, yet others die from relatively minor ones.

ozwyn
August 6, 2007, 02:39 PM
The only lesson learned here is don't be stingy on shooting. I don't care if it is 9mm, .45, .38 or whatever.... if you need to shoot it, shoot it twice or three times until the threat is stopped.

Odd Job
August 6, 2007, 02:40 PM
The other thing to remember is that this is essentially a gunshot wound to the maxilla, not to the tooth.

Heavy Metal Hero
August 6, 2007, 02:49 PM
It also this is evidence there is a Higher Authority looking after the good guys at times.

:rolleyes:

Durby
August 6, 2007, 03:48 PM
A guy who I went to high school with is in the hospital right now, he joined the Marines at 17 and a couple years later shipped out to Iraq. Last week a sniper hit him in the head. I have no idea the cartridge used, or the range, but the kid took a rifle round to the face and survived. It was just in our local paper. A head shot definitely does not mean a kill, which as these stories prove, is a great thing at times, and a horrible thing at other times.
He is expected to make a full recovery. Sorry no link to the article.

10 Ring Tao
August 6, 2007, 03:54 PM
Given the wound and appearance on xray, I'm putting in my vote for a .32.

Harley Quinn
August 6, 2007, 04:44 PM
10 Ring Tao,
Looking at the picture of the base of the bullet stuck in between the tooth I am thinking that also. Or it could even be smaller.

The teeth (mine) at that point are about 3/8th of an inch across..So if we use 1000 as an indicator..
a .355 is going to take up the whole of the socket I'd believe. Now as I see it in the picture if a 32 or 7.65 is to be the factor we are looking at .308/.312.

A 25 auto is more the size of what it appears or the 32, the 25 being .257 or around a distorted 1/4 of an inch or 32 being about 9/32nds =7.65

Which to me is what you are saying or smaller Hmmmm
I said that once.:what:

I used many variables for all to understand or be completely lost;)

Odd Job
August 6, 2007, 05:08 PM
Unfortunately it is impossible to measure the calibre of the projectile on that radiograph. These are the reasons:

1) The radiograph is produced by a form of tomography. You can think of tomography as a layer-specific radiograph. It relies on the technologist/radiographer setting the 'focus' or alignment of that layer to match the patient's upper and lower jaw, not the retained bullet. That bullet is likely to be posterior to that imaging plane and is therefore out of focus or not optimally defined by the imaging process.

2) The projectile is deformed. Even if static radiographs are taken of this retained projectile, the attitude of the projectile relative to the X-ray beam may make it impossible to discern the two edges of the bearing surface. Without that, you have nothing to measure.

3) All radiographs of retained projectiles are subject to magnification because X-ray beams diverge like light rays from a flashlight. In order to work out what the degree of magnification is, you have to conduct the radiography with prospective controls and documentation in place. In other words you have to plan this before you do the X-rays. I highly doubt that they would try that sort of radiological investigation at a battlefield hospital in circumstances where the calibre of the projectile is not the focus of a forensic investigation. I suspect it would be far easier to examine the captured pistol and spent cartridge case as a start, instead of going for retrospective analysis of the radiograph.

ConfuseUs
August 6, 2007, 05:56 PM
Lucky guy, that's for sure.
Probably just a fraction of an inch difference in shot placement and the story would be totally different. Seems to me like the bullet struck exactly on an area where the bone structure is strong enough to absorb the energy without too much damage. The picture of the entry wound makes it look like the soldier might not even get much of a scar out of it either.

Vonderek
August 6, 2007, 05:59 PM
For everyone here who wants to get rid of their impotent 9mm's, I'll gladly give you 10 cents on the dollar!:D

greenflash107
August 6, 2007, 06:57 PM
I have shot enough 9mm in the last 30 years (along with just about every other caliber) that I don't worry one bit about the 9mm being my personal choice of carry. If I ever have to use it(and I pray I do not), I am sure it will do what I need it to. The rest is just bashing.

davhina
August 6, 2007, 07:09 PM
I am sure glad he survived. Pure luck for sure.
I alternate carry between a .45 and 9mm depending on how i am dressed.
I trust both to do the job if necessary.

Mokothar
August 6, 2007, 07:32 PM
Hundreds of possible explanations for this. Now, regardless of the actual caliber, why on earth would you only fire one shot? Maybe it was so grossly underloaded that the gun failed to cycle properly?
Learn to properly shoot, twit!

MachIVshooter
August 7, 2007, 01:00 PM
A 25 auto is more the size of what it appears or the 32, the 25 being .257 or around a distorted 1/4 of an inch or 32 being about 9/32nds =7.65

Sorry to nitpick, but .25 ACP is .251"

arthurcw
August 7, 2007, 01:56 PM
Learn to properly shoot, twit!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

These are the BAD GUYS! I encourage them to keep up their current standards of pistol training!

Shoot once, then surrender.

Harley Quinn
August 7, 2007, 03:33 PM
.251 is true??? That is why I mentioned the distorted 1/4 inch.
1/4=.250.. 25 being .251. Guess the bullets are a little over.
Most 25 cal bullets are .257

Sorry not real clear. But it was clear to me :neener:

HQ

Gaucho Gringo
August 9, 2007, 05:40 PM
I have read accounts of people in the mid to late 1800's in the Old West that were walking around with bullets of various calibers in them, some more than one. And I remember when I was a kid my dad's best friend having to go to the doctor every so often to get the bird shot removed that had worked it's way to the surface of his skin. He had been shot a few years earlier in a hunting accident. Goes to show people who get shot are not automatically dead and there are so many variables that determine if you survive a gunshot wound.

Nolo
August 9, 2007, 07:41 PM
Well, I think this article proves one thing.

9mm just isn't effective.

Neither is .45

Or .40

Or .357

Yep, I guess we'll all just have to pack .500 S&Ws from now on...

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

doubleg
August 9, 2007, 08:01 PM
The terrorist pulled the trigger and, miraculously, SGT C found himself still standing. He figured the bullet had missed. He advanced on the Iraqi, who immediately surrendered. I would have surrendered too. I can only imagine the stories he is telling in prison. *Arabic "I shot one of those dirty capitalist infidels in the face, and he didn't even slow down!." :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Soldier's tooth stops bullet!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!