Moving to Louisiana (Mandeville area) from TX -- need your guidance!

PDA

Richard.Howe
August 5, 2007, 07:35 AM
Found out last week that we have to leave TX and head to Louisiana...and though I will work downtown New Orleans, we're gonna live up on the north shore (of Pontchartrain) due to quality of life issues.

Can anyone offer guidance on decent public areas to hunt deer, hogs, turkey, etc., bow or rifle, that don't require a boat to access? I'm going in cold without knowing anyone in the area, so your advice is appreciated.

I can't imagine not hunting this season!

Thanks guys,
Rich

If you enjoyed reading about "Moving to Louisiana (Mandeville area) from TX -- need your guidance!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Art Eatman
August 5, 2007, 10:50 AM
Do the Louisiana Game&Fish guys have a website? I'd look for that.

Otherwise--or, as well as--check out the feed&seed stores and the gunshops.

I drive I-12 fairly frequently. I've seen what you mean about boats...

Art

electrode1998
August 10, 2007, 06:22 PM
I am a life long LA. res. and have recently gotten back into hunting deer. I was lucky to go with some friends from work last season. You may try with some guys from work first or ask them where they hunt.
I have found the "best" places in LA. are private clubs. Some wildlife management areas are good too. The Louisiana dept. of wildlife and fisheries has a pretty good website so you may check there.

Alot of us go to Mississippi to hunt but it can get pretty expensive that way. I am still trying to find a private club I can get into without breaking my wallet.
If you want keep my name handy and if I run across anything I'll pass it along to you. So far I have not had much luck in locating "open" memberships in hunting clubs. Most are full here.
Good luck,
electrode 1998

porkysan
August 10, 2007, 07:07 PM
Honey Island Wildlife Management Area is near you. They've got the deer and hogs covered. There's also a decent outdoor range there as well.

JWarren
August 11, 2007, 07:40 AM
Richard,

I don't know a lot about public lands. I hunt on our private land not far from you in MS. Sadly, my father-in-law who I care for very much can't cross state lines to hunt on my property without paying outrageous prices for a non-resident hunting license. So he uses a hunting club/lease in LA.

I may be able to check with my Father-in-Law about his hunting club/lease. I think he has to pay around 400 a year not far from you.

All of you LA guys that hunt in MS can thank LA for the high cost of non-resident hunting licenses in MS. A while back, LA seriously raised the cost for saltwater fishing on MS residents. The high hunting licenses here were a retaliation from our legislature. From talking to my father, it has been a price war ever since.

-- John

spankaveli
August 11, 2007, 08:23 AM
Richard, I don't like to plug my site too often but I'm willing to bet you'll find people who can answer your questions at the site in my signature.

I hope you enjoy New Orleans, I know I love heading out there from time to time.

1 old 0311
August 11, 2007, 08:40 AM
Just ask around work. EVERYONE there hunts, and fishes. It is called 'The Sportsmans Paradise' for a reason.

Richard.Howe
August 11, 2007, 04:51 PM
Thanks a bunch guys. Based on your advice alone, I have a few strong leads already. Mucho gracias!

Rich

Noc
August 11, 2007, 08:31 PM
I don't want to sound dismal, but...

Good luck with this. Your absolute best bets are private land where you have permission to hunt, and then private clubs after that. There are some public areas, like Honey Island swamp mentioned above, but the pressure put on them in hunting season is tremendous. I spent most of my time growing up on the Northshore, and it was private lands with permission for us more than anything else. We did especially well with squirrel and dove this way.

There are some other issues down there that may seem foreign to you that you probably should be aware of. You can catch a trespassing charge down there on a state-owned and maintained waterway from a private landholder. This was a real hot button issue in 2005, when I moved out of there, and most likely still is.

There's a good reason why so many Louisiana deer hunters hunt in Mississippi.

theboondocksaints22
August 13, 2007, 04:16 AM
the st james managment area off of highway 61 is public land but it is swamp hunting there are deer in there ya just got to put you time in and do some scouting

Shipwreck
August 13, 2007, 10:33 AM
Good luck. Took me until I was 23 to get out of LOuisiana. I'd never go back. I like it here in TX.

The North Shore is nice, but driving on that bridge acroiss the lake is a pain in the butt when there is fog.

If you enjoyed reading about "Moving to Louisiana (Mandeville area) from TX -- need your guidance!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!